Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think its over.

Im honestly tired.

Tired of trying.

Tired of searching.

Tired of gimmicks and false advertisement.

Tired of rude communities.

Tired of lazy and/or scamming developers. (usually both)

Maybe im just getting old. What happened to the addictiveness, the spark, the magic, the difficulty and the competition. Every single game is the exact same bullshit. They are all one month wonders with zero longevity designed for someone with the intelligence of a gnat overpopulated with people that think they are genious. What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore. I remember real difficulty and the penalties if you died or failed. The comraderie and teamwork. I remember real communities. Real friendships and relationships that carried over off the screen. Now its just a huge cesspool no matter what game you enter its total rudeness and hate.

We should be treated with more respect. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on games and keeping our systems up to spec to stay on top and its all just full of regret now. Total waste of time and money. Tell me a game thats worth the time and i will explain how ive played it and the problems it has.

I work 40-60 hours per week, i take very, very good care of my family but i still have the night. I mostly drink beer, read forums and wonder what the fuck happened.

Sorry for the rant.

Comments

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Unfortunately.....i fully agree with you. It used to feel like you were missing out on something when you didnt play for a day, but now...who cares?

Perhaps im getting old too.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Im kinda like you I spent many many years in mmo's but Im just burned out of all of them as they just never change for the better. Its the same kill ten rats or fedex quests in every game that releases followed by either meaningless pvp or end game gear grind raiding. So Im just burned to the point I do not even play mmorpgs anymore. I found single player and co op style sandbox games survival based is my greatest enjoyment now. Indie games like 7 days to die under the ocean the dead linger and dont starve I swap between because I feel like I can actually be creative in them. Alpha 2 releases this week for 7 days to die and I see myself playing that for awhile as the zombie survival/minecraft feel really makes you feel a challenge again and I do not have to worry about rude communities and relying on others just to have fun when I get home from work at night etc. Maybe give some survival single and co-op games a try where you have to manage food water starvation and buildinig shelters etc .
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

So another 'Back in the old days MMO' rants?

Sorry but that gameplay is now niche.

Sometimes what you like is niche and that means the market might not cater to what you want.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DMKano
    It's not over, most of the genre just evolved to cater to a different crowd.There are indie games in the works that will bring back real danger and penalty for making mistakes in game.Just don't expect any AAA game to do so ever again.If it costs a lot to make, it is made for mass market - simple reality.
    While I agree, DM (and OP), I often wonder about that last line.

Want to know how to cut a MMORPG budget in half? Cut out the voice over work and cut scenes :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

If the F2P narrative has taught us anything, it's that 10% of your audience generates 90% of the revenue. which is as good if not more revenue than subscriptions + box sales. That's the narrative.

Making a game for the 10% is niche gameplay and wont make money though.  It all makes sense.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

/agree OP

Nothing else to say since you covered it nicely :)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Unless Blizzard comes up with something amazing in their next mmo I think the mmo genre is pretty much done for if they keep on making the same type of mmos. Games like Star Citizen, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar  and The Division which are all non mmos that will be a totally superior gaming experience compared to what we have now.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Agree to... i gave up on MMO's to.
    But enjoying the hell out of Skyrim :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by FinalFikus
    If the F2P narrative has taught us anything, it's that 10% of your audience generates 90% of the revenue. which is as good if not more revenue than subscriptions + box sales. That's the narrative.Making a game for the 10% is niche gameplay and wont make money though.  It all makes sense.
    What is truly interesting is that people love to use today's playerbase numbers in F2P models and compare to yesterday's playerbase numbers. Just think, now...

What if 100% of today's playerbase was paying, just like 100% of yesterday's playerbase did... How much MORE money could the games be making?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

All the negativity.

It is not like MMORPGs are the only entertainment out there. If you don't like it (or like it anymore), go read a book, watch a movie, a tv shows, anime, or play an SP game.

Things change. No one was giving the OP a guarantee of MMORPGs he will like forever. If he had that expectation, well, i would say he got fooled by something that was totally unrealistic.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Having a pretty good time in League of Legends, just saying.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If all 12 of you quit what will the other 48 million of us do ?
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Continue to waste your time and money until you become us?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

You guys are burnt out.   Even if they came up with your exact perfect niche game, it wouldn't be the same.   You never step in the same river twice.

Cool your heals for awhile, and come back when something releases that has an appreciable amount of appropriate gameplay for your taste.   But it will still probably never be the same.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by jesad

The day I decide games are a waste of time and or money...I wont be sitting around on a forum complaining about it.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Totally agree which is why i am done with AAA MMO's they cost too much which means the dev's have very little creative control over their games , and the publishing companies are taking less risks because they don't wanna risk 100 mill+ on a stinker. So my solution is i am gonna play indie MMO's and i don't care if the graphics are worse cause that's all i am giving up that i care about. 

If i was truly sick of the MMO genre i would move and not show a ounce of interest i don't miss many genre's of game i no longer play. How many games are gonna have to go F2P just to survive that started with a subscription model, it's because people are sick of the same thing over and over again. Why are sandbox games making a come back because the old theme park model produces no lasting memories because you do the same stuff a zillion times over.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Wisdom in a world of idiots.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

The day I decide games are a waste of time and or money...I wont be sitting around on a forum complaining about it.

Well aren't you cool. 48 million people agree with you too. You know how to party I can tell.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by tristanryan

What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore.

Sorry for the rant.

this point here is one of the big ones for me. it feels like we stalled out and quit pushing the boundaries of what a virtual world could be and narrowed it all down to just game mechanics. the original beauty of mmo's was the combination of solid mechanics in a virtual world.

im not a big nostalgia fan. there are many mechanics that i was glad to see go and new ones that i have welcomed.

but the worlds ... they just aren't out there anymore and no one seems to care to make them, break them, and push past what we've known to something better and larger.

and don't apologize for the occasional rant. everybody does it. i think everybody is entitled to at least 3 a year ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    No more so than the old ones.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

Im honestly tired.

Tired of trying.

Tired of searching.

Tired of gimmicks and false advertisement.

Tired of rude communities.

Tired of lazy and/or scamming developers. (usually both)

Maybe im just getting old. What happened to the addictiveness, the spark, the magic, the difficulty and the competition. Every single game is the exact same bullshit. They are all one month wonders with zero longevity designed for someone with the intelligence of a gnat overpopulated with people that think they are genious. What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore. I remember real difficulty and the penalties if you died or failed. The comraderie and teamwork. I remember real communities. Real friendships and relationships that carried over off the screen. Now its just a huge cesspool no matter what game you enter its total rudeness and hate.

We should be treated with more respect. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on games and keeping our systems up to spec to stay on top and its all just full of regret now. Total waste of time and money. Tell me a game thats worth the time and i will explain how ive played it and the problems it has.

I work 40-60 hours per week, i take very, very good care of my family but i still have the night. I mostly drink beer, read forums and wonder what the fuck happened.

Sorry for the rant.

Ripped the words right of my mouth. 'Specially the "drink beer and wonder what the funk happened" part lol.

I was just thinking this the other day, how MMO's used to be so awe inspiring and intriquing, the world, the leveling, the different skill sets, the possiblities... first MMO I played was SWG and remember the overwhelming feeling of awesomeness, the sheer amount of people in the cantina, the large groups, the mysterious Jedi, etc. Even the early days of CoH were awesome, I remember creating endless amounts of characters and have all types of fun for months & years for both games.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

Originally posted by aspekx

What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore.

Sorry for the rant.

this point here is one of the big ones for me. it feels like we stalled out and quit pushing the boundaries of what a virtual world could be and narrowed it all down to just game mechanics. the original beauty of mmo's was the combination of solid mechanics in a virtual world.

im not a big nostalgia fan. there are many mechanics that i was glad to see go and new ones that i have welcomed.

but the worlds ... they just aren't out there anymore and no one seems to care to make them, break them, and push past what we've known to something better and larger.

and don't apologize for the occasional rant. everybody does it. i think everybody is entitled to at least 3 a year ;)

They still make these games on other platforms. Fantastic worlds with games built around them. Pretty much what we've been asking for for years, and that's just to get back what was abandoned.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by FinalFikus
    Originally posted by aspekx

Sorry for the rant.

They still make these games on other platforms. Fantastic worlds with games built around them. Pretty much what we've been asking for for years, and that's just to get back what was abandoned.

no doubt. for the first time in years the only game i am currently looking forward to is The Division.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    MMORPG's died and have been replaced by cash shop easyMMOde games. I only still play them because I enjoy being in a guild, if it was not for that I would be long gone.
  • ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Op, im there with you man. I'm still waiting on one more game though. Everquest Next. Part of me wants to think it will fail just out of spite of what they did with SWG, but part of me says they finally got it...

But i digress. I'm totally sick of the same run of the mill gear treadmills....

someone please freaking save us with a mmorpg that makes sense... 

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci