Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Checking in with G.I.R.L. Scholarship Winner, Esther Wu

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Every year,  Sony Online Entertainment opens up the "Gamers in Real Life" (G.I.R.L.) scholarship contest. We managed to catch up to this year's recipient, Esther Wu, to find out more about her plans for the future. Read on and then tell us what you think in the comments.

LJ: After you won, whom did you tell first?

EW: I remember going up to the 5th floor balcony of my dorm and calling my parents and screaming “I WON!” really loudly.

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Fair Game: Checking in with G.I.R.L. Scholarship Winner, Esther Wu.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• noobychickennoobychicken Member Posts: 11
    Gratz !
  • ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

I dont know....how about you quit being sexist and discriminating against a minority...yes, I am talking about Males. They are the minority, not females when it comes to college education. How about a little freaking equality or is it ok to be prejudiced against a minority as long as it's not widely publicized?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2012/02/16/the-male-female-ratio-in-college/

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Ziegler

I dont know....how about you quit being sexist and discriminating against a minority...yes, I am talking about Males. They are the minority, not females when it comes to college education. How about a little freaking equality or is it ok to be prejudiced against a minority as long as it's not widely publicized?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2012/02/16/the-male-female-ratio-in-college/

Indeed, creating more set-asides for the gender that already enjoys a wide advantage in education doesn't make sense.

Perhaps the winner could have been asked how it feels to win a contest in which half of the human race is realistically excluded.  Yeah, I know, it says it's open to all, but in the 6 years it's been running a female has won every time.  Not exactly a surprise, given the nature of the contest.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DathanKnightDathanKnight Member Posts: 16

I'll go ahead and say congratulations.  For people too self-absorbed to wish others well when they receive something like this, I can only say I know nothing about their lives and have no idea why this irks them so badly.

If you want to cite ratio statistics, go ahead and look up the male/female ratio for tech/engineering degrees.  Nothing is stopping males from going to college other than a cultural anti-intellectualism bias.  All it takes to pay for college is to stay out of trouble, keep up average grades, and talk to your nearest recruiter.  BAM.  Four years of work experience, often with technical applications, and free bachelor's degree.  Heck, they even PAY you to attend school when you complete your four years, give you a stipend for books, and only require you to take 12 hours a semester for being a "full time student."

Originally posted by DathanKnight

I'll go ahead and say congratulations.  For people too self-absorbed to wish others well when they receive something like this, I can only say I know nothing about their lives and have no idea why this irks them so badly.

If you want to cite ratio statistics, go ahead and look up the male/female ratio for tech/engineering degrees.  Nothing is stopping males from going to college other than a cultural anti-intellectualism bias.  All it takes to pay for college is to stay out of trouble, keep up average grades, and talk to your nearest recruiter.  BAM.  Four years of work experience, often with technical applications, and free bachelor's degree.  Heck, they even PAY you to attend school when you complete your four years, give you a stipend for books, and only require you to take 12 hours a semester for being a "full time student."

The military method you allude to is open to all, including the winner of this contest.

If she's got the drive and talent, she can get a job in the industry, without a hand-out.

The "cultural anti-intellectualism bias" you cite is largely a product of the pro-female/anti-male educational theorycrafting of the early 1990s.  Look up the book "How Schools Shortchange Girls", which was based on politically motivated junk-science (at the time it was written, male/female ratios were about 50/50), and the resulting changes to US educational systems that now clearly shortchange boys.

We constantly hear from feminists that discrimination based on sex is wrong.  That does not appear to be the case - they have no problem with discrimination, as long as it favors women.

Simply put, set-aside programs like this one perpetuate discrimination.  So, congratulations to the winner of a scholarship that panders to gender politics and promotes discrimination?

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

Thats great information.  Except, you forgot the part where you think you will go to college.  But, instead get deployed.  Been there done that.  You're not a recruiter are you? lol.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

Thats great information.  Except, you forgot the part where you think you will go to college.  But, instead get deployed.  Been there done that.  You're not a recruiter are you? lol.

if the best way for a guy go to college is to enlist, then your country certainly is doing something really wrong, even more wrong is when a guy say something like this.....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Protoman1Protoman1 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

if the best way for a guy go to college is to enlist, then your country certainly is doing something really wrong, even more wrong is when a guy say something like this.....

The US is greatly screwed up, especially when our Defense budget is bigger then our Education budget.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
    -Plato

Originally posted by Protoman1

The US is greatly screwed up, especially when our Defense budget is bigger then our Education budget.

Yet compared to many countries around the world.  The ratio of how much of our overall budget goes to military is marginal in comparison in others.

Originally posted by Protoman1

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2013/08/federal-spending-by-the-numbers-2013

just so we are dealing with the correct numbers....

Now, the thing to point out here....The National Defense pays the soldiers, for the equipment, the upkeep, et.al of the Armed Forces.

by contrast....

The Department of Education doesnt pay for....teachers, schools, books, buses, janitors, or anything else actually associated with ...you know...Education...they pay for bureaucrats to sit in Washington D.C and tell us that something needs to be done while the local/state is the ones actually paying property taxes to pay for educating the public.

Oh and military?

http://www.militaryhub.com/article.cfm?id=201

Getting harder and harder to get in...and with some controversial ruling such as repeal of DOTA and putting Women on the front lines....it's not as appealing to the people most likley to enlist as it once was.

Here's a thought....how about giving the scholarship to someone on the verge, that without thier help, possibly wouldnt be able to pursue their dream of game design...why...that'd be almost...charitable and not just politically self serving.  

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

If the pictures shown are hers (that's not made clear) it is a place well deserved. But I do think that positive discrimination (as it was called in the UK before they changed the name) is discrimination. The aim is laudable but preferentially selecting anyone for any reason other than ability is discrimination.

Regardless I hope she does well and has a great career in the industry.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I thought GIRL meant "Guy In Real Life?"  
  • ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35

Sexism and discrimination but its ok because of the V-card. Nothing new here moving on.

"I'm a strong independent woman, now give me a free ride and reduce the requirements for me please"

A woman like that could never be my equal.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Zephlos

Sexism and discrimination but its ok because of the V-card. Nothing new here moving on.

"I'm a strong independent woman, now give me a free ride and reduce the requirements for me please"

A woman like that could never be my equal.

It is not sexist.  You are just being an idiot.  The point of the scholarship is to encourage GIRLS (who are underrepresented in video game development) to get into game design.

You are probably one of those dicks who think that African American month is racist and gay pride parades are attacks on straight people. 

Originally posted by TheHavok

You are probably one of those dicks who think that African American month is racist and gay pride parades are attacks on straight people. 

It's very easy to tell if something is racist, mysogynist or discriminatory....just take out what ever an put in White, Male, or Christian, and if it would be condemned with those words in place, then yes, it is wrong. If a group celebrated Caucasian Heritage Month, it would be condemded on all fronts. If a group of Heteros had a straight pride parade, it would be condemend universally. The only thing we should be celebrating is being .....Human. The only thing we should be rewarding is effort, regardless of features/beliefs/preferences.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Sexism and discrimination is ok, as long as it favors women.
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Females get help now because in the past they weren't allowed to go to school period. Is it really fair that you try to deny thousands of years of discrimination against women? 

Is it so much to ask for some help now, after women have been punished for so very long? Male only schools used to not only be male only colleges, but male only elementary schools and male only junior / high schools. Women weren't allowed to know anything, and weren't allowed to have a job, so there's no need to call any girls lazy either. Most women wanted to work in the past, wanted to wear pants, and were told no you have to wear skirts, your husband will pay for you and that's final. Or even, you will marry whoever your father said you will and that's final.  So, just forget about all independence and free will, or love itself, because you get no say in your own life. 

We just want people to have free will and independence now, we want to help the poor, we want to help families where no one has gone to college, or where only males have a history of graduating from it. 

Above all, most females aren't in technology / video game related fields. How can men complain that there aren't enough female gamers to date, but then turn around and complain that women get scholarships? 

Most computer classes are 80% if not 95% full of men. There's almost no women in the field of technology at all, they are trying to increase the ratio, not to be unfair to men (what men wouldn't enjoy some women in their workplace for a change? Instead of working with only guys, like on most video game magazine staffs?), but because women are not signing up for these careers! 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

So, are you claiming that its wrong for minoritys to have scholarships to? Latinos, Africans, Asians, or just plain being poor? There should be scholarships for everyone agreed, but usually white males had domination for so very long, that many are trying to help the less fortunate. 

At least if you're a poor white man, you should have some help, if you're a rich white man your parents can pay for it, and if you're middle class you can work. Of course,  it isn't fair to say the government and charities should be giving middle class citizens scholarships, who is going to pay all of that money? 

Then, there's also the obvious that college isn't really required for a lot of jobs, and they should just provide vocational training while in high school, without saddling you with student loan debts. 

College and IQ isn't everything, maybe sometime people will understand that and hire people with the drive and ambition, who may not have the college skills, but unfortunately, they are lazy and cheap and always want the already trained. Why train anyone, when hundreds of thousands of college graduates are available every single year?  

Perhaps, if we could only be like Switzerland and pay for everyone's college education that would finally be fair, but we have to make sure healthcare works first. 

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

I've never really understood this whole incentive thing clearly. If women don't want to enter certain fields of study then why try to lure them in? I wouldn't want a doctor who only got into the field because of the money. Get where I'm going with this?

If it's for women who do take a keen interest in a certain field of study but can't get into it because "patriarchy"- sorry but it's now 2013 and I have trouble believing that applications are being binned because the applicant is a woman.

All of these incentives for females are fueling an infantile backlash on behalf of chronic underachievers who'll blame everything but themselves for their inability to succeed. Tipping the table the other way is such a bad idea and it needs to stop.

• JessthebearJessthebear Member Posts: 9

We constantly hear from feminists that discrimination based on sex is wrong.  That does not appear to be the case - they have no problem with discrimination, as long as it favors women.

Simply put, set-aside programs like this one perpetuate discrimination.  So, congratulations to the winner of a scholarship that panders to gender politics and promotes discrimination?

I am not from America so I have no idea about your university ratios or whatever so I left that part out. The first bit of your quote is just plain rubbish. Being a feminist, I certainly hate it when a radio ad comes on for something like (and this is very real in the UK at least) 'Drive like a girl car insurance'. It is just stupid on so many levels, and I can assure you a lot of women would feel the same way. There is a lot less sexism favouring women compared to the sexism you commonly hear about that is negative towards women, but it is just as annoying. It is a shame this competition seems to be pretty sexist, but that takes nothing away from the contest winner who clearly has the skill levels to win something which isn't exactly easy.

The fact that we have to have innitiatives like this for the amount of sexism going on is just disgraceful, even though there are a few flaws in the system.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Congrats to the winner! Im sure she worked very hard to receive it and is deserving of it regardless of her gender.

To Mysticaluna youre a sexist/bigot. "At least if you're a poor white man, you should have some help, if you're a rich white man your parents can pay for it"

How about if you re a rich white girl, or a rich Asian girl or male, or Hispanic? Should their parents not pay for their education also?

And Jessthebear, from my experience the English are some of the most bigoted people Ive ever met.

And they do it from this pedestal of cultural elitism that if youre not English or even British youre somehow their lesser.

Its not surprising they'd play a commerical like that. American TV even made fun of that in a round about way so as not to piss off anyone group, with the "So simple a caveman could do it". Only to have a few well dressed and educated cavemen at the end of the commercial get offended.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    She has good art, I like it.
    Originally posted by mysticaluna

Females get help now because in the past they weren't allowed to go to school period. Is it really fair that you try to deny thousands of years of discrimination against women? 

Is it so much to ask for some help now, after women have been punished for so very long? 

Again, why ignore factual numbers?  The "All Victim, All the Time" sentiment is dishonest.

Ziegler posted the Forbes article.  Here's another:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-01-26-genderequity26_st_n.htm

In the US, 57% of college students are female, 43% are male.  They earn more degrees at every level - baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate.  That's an enormous disparity, with women enjoying the overwhelming advantage.

It's intellectually dishonest to identify one of a small handful of fields in which women do not dominate in an effort to decry a "crisis" that merits special help for women, when women dominate the vast majority of educational fields overall.  The advantage women have in education is staggering.  Will we reach "equality" only when women dominate all fields in education?

Sexist set-asides like this contest only serve to widen that already enormous margin.  Unfortunately, the perception is that women are always at a disadvantage, which makes such contests sound rational/benevolent.  That perception is antiquated and wrong.  These types of contests are sexist, and they aim simply to add to the advantages women already have in education.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Is it so much to ask for some help now, after women have been punished for so very long? Male only schools used to not only be male only colleges, but male only elementary schools and male only junior / high schools. Women weren't allowed to know anything, and weren't allowed to have a job, so there's no need to call any girls lazy either. Most women wanted to work in the past, wanted to wear pants, and were told no you have to wear skirts, your husband will pay for you and that's final. Or even, you will marry whoever your father said you will and that's final.  So, just forget about all independence and free will, or love itself, because you get no say in your own life. 

We just want people to have free will and independence now, we want to help the poor, we want to help families where no one has gone to college, or where only males have a history of graduating from it. 

Above all, most females aren't in technology / video game related fields. How can men complain that there aren't enough female gamers to date, but then turn around and complain that women get scholarships? 

Most computer classes are 80% if not 95% full of men. There's almost no women in the field of technology at all, they are trying to increase the ratio, not to be unfair to men (what men wouldn't enjoy some women in their workplace for a change? Instead of working with only guys, like on most video game magazine staffs?), but because women are not signing up for these careers! 

So because women have been discriminated against in the past, it's okay to turn the tables and discriminate against men now? I can't believe I have to say this (like talking to a child in some ways), but two wrongs don't make a right. The only thing any sort of discrimination does is breed anger & resentment, whether it be based on gender, race, religion, etc.

You wonder why there aren't as many women in technology-based fields such as electrical engineering, IT, video games, etc? It's because (and this will blow your mind) women in general aren't as interested in those fields as men!

Wow, imagine that. Women & men have different interests, who'd have thought? Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no sexist conspiracy to keep women out of certain fields. The fact of the matter is there are always going to be careers dominated by one gender or the other, period. There's nothing sexist about it, and nor is there anything wrong with it.

So, are you claiming that its wrong for minoritys to have scholarships to? Latinos, Africans, Asians, or just plain being poor? There should be scholarships for everyone agreed, but usually white males had domination for so very long, that many are trying to help the less fortunate. 

At least if you're a poor white man, you should have some help, if you're a rich white man your parents can pay for it, and if you're middle class you can work. Of course,  it isn't fair to say the government and charities should be giving middle class citizens scholarships, who is going to pay all of that money? 

Then, there's also the obvious that college isn't really required for a lot of jobs, and they should just provide vocational training while in high school, without saddling you with student loan debts. 

College and IQ isn't everything, maybe sometime people will understand that and hire people with the drive and ambition, who may not have the college skills, but unfortunately, they are lazy and cheap and always want the already trained. Why train anyone, when hundreds of thousands of college graduates are available every single year?  

Perhaps, if we could only be like Switzerland and pay for everyone's college education that would finally be fair, but we have to make sure healthcare works first. 

Is it wrong for minorities to have exclusive access to scholarships? If said scholarships are paid for with taxpayer money, then yes. Taxpayer funded scholarships should be open to all qualified applicants, period. No exceptions.

Scholarships from privately-run charities paid for by donations can allow or disallow whomever the hell they want from receiving one. As long as they receive no money from federal, state, or local governments, they can do whatever they please.

Also, you are aware that there are rich people who belong to minority groups, yes? Why, there are even some who are middle class! Imagine that!

"If you're middle class, you can work". Wait, so a lower class person shouldn't be expected to work? They should just get a 'free ride' from the middle class (don't fool yourself, that's who pays for most social welfare programs) just because they're poor? Do you even understand what middle class is? Do you realize that being middle class doesn't mean you're rolling in money? My guess is no...

Yeah, I can't imagine why a company would want to hire somebody who actually showed the, 'drive and ambition' to attend college & actually learn something about the field they're showing interest in over somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what they're doing. Can you?

Granted a college degree doesn't mean you're smart (just look at 95% of politicians, law degrees all around & still dumb as posts), but it shows a potential employer you're serious about making a name for yourself in your chosen field.

You need to wake up and live in the real world with the rest of us for a while.

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

So because women have been discriminated against in the past, it's okay to turn the tables and discriminate against men now? I can't believe I have to say this (like talking to a child in some ways), but two wrongs don't make a right. The only thing any sort of discrimination does is breed anger & resentment, whether it be based on gender, race, religion, etc.

You wonder why there aren't as many women in technology-based fields such as electrical engineering, IT, video games, etc? It's because (and this will blow your mind) women in general aren't as interested in those fields as men!

Wow, imagine that. Women & men have different interests, who'd have thought? Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no sexist conspiracy to keep women out of certain fields. The fact of the matter is there are always going to be careers dominated by one gender or the other, period. There's nothing sexist about it, and nor is there anything wrong with it.

Is it wrong for minorities to have exclusive access to scholarships? If said scholarships are paid for with taxpayer money, then yes. Taxpayer funded scholarships should be open to all qualified applicants, period. No exceptions.

Scholarships from privately-run charities paid for by donations can allow or disallow whomever the hell they want from receiving one. As long as they receive no money from federal, state, or local governments, they can do whatever they please.

Also, you are aware that there are rich people who belong to minority groups, yes? Why, there are even some who are middle class! Imagine that!

"If you're middle class, you can work". Wait, so a lower class person shouldn't be expected to work? They should just get a 'free ride' from the middle class (don't fool yourself, that's who pays for most social welfare programs) just because they're poor? Do you even understand what middle class is? Do you realize that being middle class doesn't mean you're rolling in money? My guess is no...

Yeah, I can't imagine why a company would want to hire somebody who actually showed the, 'drive and ambition' to attend college & actually learn something about the field they're showing interest in over somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what they're doing. Can you?

Granted a college degree doesn't mean you're smart (just look at 95% of politicians, law degrees all around & still dumb as posts), but it shows a potential employer you're serious about making a name for yourself in your chosen field.

You need to wake up and live in the real world with the rest of us for a while.

Well Said!