Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If the community in AO is good read here please

nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

I'm hoping the community in this game is good and helpful. I am having problems with downloading this game (free client). It says to download bit torrent so I did. I then pressed the download sentence again to download the free client and I believe it said it downloaded it, but yet no where on my computer can I find the game. I tried going to a gaming website to download it and when I did download it, it took 2 secs, but I again found nothing anywhere.

Can someone help me please. I have a sub. with DAoC right now and these download problems are just discouraging me to play at all. Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• bouncebounce Member UncommonPosts: 24

although i really dislike how you chose your topic...
    you only get the tiny torrent file containing the download info to the real file;
    you then need the bittorrent client installed to use the small .torrent file

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

It's all pretty confusing, but I some how stumbled onto the topic. I chose the topic I did because it will grab peoples attention. If people want more players to come to their game and think that the community in their game is good they will read my post, which will in turn give me that more of a chance to get my question answered. If no one was to come and answer or read my post, I would have just continued with my life and never would have tried AO.

It's all about marketing and psychology. I did what had to be done to grab attention. No harm in that. People and businesses alike do that. It's a very useful tool.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Actually, it was a pretty rotten thing to do.  I'm not sure if a person who feels there is no harm and nothing wrong with using that kind of social manipulation would be a real asset to the AO community. 

A simple request for help would have sufficed to get this forum's AO community's attention.  If you need to couch it in such manipulative language to gain help or attention, then perhaps the community isn't what you're looking for.  And, nthnaoun, I can tell you right now that if you go into AO with that kind of attitude and approach, you aren't going to enjoy the response you get. 

It's all about marketing and psychology. I did what had to be done to grab attention. No harm in that. People and businesses alike do that. It's a very useful tool.

You sound like the people that work for SOE.  And they're finding out, much to their surprise that it's a tool that backfires in a very big way when used on people who are intelligent, educated and have a little selfrespect.  I'd wish you more luck than they're having, but I happen to have a lot of friends in the AO community and I don't think I'd like to give you the false impression that you're entitled to annoy them by trying to take advantage of them using such cheap methods.

But yes.  The AO community is one of the best there is. 

• BeanchillaBeanchilla Member Posts: 260

shit
    lay off the guy
    he posted a differient topic hoping to get some help,
    maybe he didnt think hed get it otherwise.

i bet hes regretting it right now
    i dont get why its a big deal

its not that hard to hit back if it bothers you that much.

Just another handsome boy graduate...

Originally posted by JigsawJesus

shit
    lay off the guy
    he posted a differient topic hoping to get some help,
    maybe he didnt think hed get it otherwise.
    i bet hes regretting it right now
    i dont get why its a big deal
    its not that hard to hit back if it bothers you that much.

I agree. I didn't make the topic to piss people off. The topic is very true though, if you are a good community you would help someone asking for it. All I've been shown so far for the most part is the lack of good community. So I won't be playing. Thank you for helping me not waste my time. And as the above poster stated, I did not think I would get any help any other way, and I have proven this in past posts when I have asked for help and gotten none.
  • azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Excuse you, oh representative of the mercenary, manipulative and narcissistic multitudes, but if you hadn't exactly noticed, the AO portions of the MMORPG.COM forums are not as bursting with Anarchy Online vets as say... the Star Wars Galaxies portions -- which I have noticed you also troll.

Many who DO post here are either those who are curious, those who are new and lost -- and occasionally, every so often, someone like me who is checking back on the game to see its state and <GASP!!!> to help out the aforementioned curious and lost.  Unlike games like SWG, paid AO gamers have OFFICIAL forums where their posts are not regularly deleted and where they are happy and comfortable enough to express themselves...and <OMG!> many don't even know that these forums exist.

Personally, I am quite content that you might choose to deprive yourself of the AO experience, as this game's community does not need to add someone like you to itself.  You would not improve it nor add to it with your manipulative and self absorbed attitudes, and would only serve to discourage the kind of people who make the community worthwhile, tight-knit, outgoing and helpful.

Some may think that my response to your shenannigans is harsh, but in reality, it may not be harsh enough.  Giving anyone who behaves in the ways that you have ANY shred of positive reinforcement only ensures that you will never learn less negative behaviors.  Had you approached the community in a more positive and pleasant manner, you migh have found a far warmer and enthusiastic welcome.  And while your questions may not have been answered as quickly as you wished, they WOULD have been answered to the best of this tiny segment of the community could have managed.  However, this is obviously not good or quick enough for you -- which tells me at least that the game itself could never have been good enough for you, being older and less pretty than most of the games represented on this site.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd tell another player of ANY game this... but nthnaoun, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

[quote]Originally posted by nthnaoun
    It's all about marketing and psychology. I did what had to be done to grab attention. No harm in that. People and businesses alike do that. It's a very useful tool.[/b][/quote]

"I don't appreciate your ruse; your cunning attempt to trick me. "
    - Randal, Clerks

...therefore...

"No soup for you"
    -Soup Nazi, Seinfeld

==========================

Originally posted by azhrarn

Excuse you, oh representative of the mercenary, manipulative and narcissistic multitudes, but if you hadn't exactly noticed, the AO portions of the MMORPG.COM forums are not as bursting with Anarchy Online vets as say... the Star Wars Galaxies portions -- which I have noticed you also troll.
    Many who DO post here are either those who are curious, those who are new and lost -- and occasionally, every so often, someone like me who is checking back on the game to see its state and <GASP!!!> to help out the aforementioned curious and lost.  Unlike games like SWG, paid AO gamers have OFFICIAL forums where their posts are not regularly deleted and where they are happy and comfortable enough to express themselves...and <OMG!> many don't even know that these forums exist.
    Personally, I am quite content that you might choose to deprive yourself of the AO experience, as this game's community does not need to add someone like you to itself.  You would not improve it nor add to it with your manipulative and self absorbed attitudes, and would only serve to discourage the kind of people who make the community worthwhile, tight-knit, outgoing and helpful.
    Some may think that my response to your shenannigans is harsh, but in reality, it may not be harsh enough.  Giving anyone who behaves in the ways that you have ANY shred of positive reinforcement only ensures that you will never learn less negative behaviors.  Had you approached the community in a more positive and pleasant manner, you migh have found a far warmer and enthusiastic welcome.  And while your questions may not have been answered as quickly as you wished, they WOULD have been answered to the best of this tiny segment of the community could have managed.  However, this is obviously not good or quick enough for you -- which tells me at least that the game itself could never have been good enough for you, being older and less pretty than most of the games represented on this site.
    I never thought I'd see the day I'd tell another player of ANY game this... but nthnaoun, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

You sure do think you know it all don't you? You have no idea who I am or what I believe in, but yet you are quick to judge me and jump to conclusions. I have never trolled as you say any forum and I quite frankly despise those that do. And it seems to me your trolling the forums now yourself. At no point did I say I meant to hurt peoples feelings, but you on the other hand seem to get off on flaming people. Before you flame me again, why don't you make an effort to get to know me first. Wouldn't that be the proper thing to do if you are such a nice person as you say you are? Your another fine example of a jaded forumer who jumps to conclusions on every person that post on these forums and you assume the worse about everyone without getting to know them. This site has a community and this community is supposed to help each other out instead of flame each other at every corner. Again, before you jump on your pedestal to judge what quality of person I am, get to know me first.
  • Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290

Your approach was underhanded but if you just said "thanks for the info" after the first reply rather than focusing entirely on the topic name without thanking bounce at all the other poster likely wouldn't have jumped on your case and this thread wouldn't have spun off course. A "I need help getting the client" topic name would have been better though. The game client is about 800MB-1200MB depending on if you get the small (for free players only) or large client (for P2P people). The way bitTorrent works is someone makes a little torrent file that describes the file/s being shared and the server/s managing the info exchange. You get that then use a bitTorrent program to download the file/s plus share portions you've downloaded with others so everyone getting the file also is uploading it to others thereby sharing the task of distributing the file/s. As for the community, the AO community is quite good, just don't try to trick/scam/etc... people when playing to get what you want, this applies anywhere as people you will find don't care for that.

• BeanchillaBeanchilla Member Posts: 260

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO STOP POSTING ON THIS TOPIC FOR CHRIST SAKE

Just another handsome boy graduate...