Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 will not allow for external storage and will not support mp3 music and will not support streamin

13»

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Chaserz
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

There is an article here on Kotaku: The PS4 Takes a Step Backwards.

They're basically removing DLNA support and the ability to stream your own music, movies via other services, and all that other stuff that was touted in the PS3.

Sony isn't any different from Microsoft, other than they pull far fewer PR suicide blunders. They're going to see what they can get away with whenever they think they can, like charging for some online services that they used to offer for no charge with the PS3.

Netflix and Amazon instant video streaming services will still be supported on the PS4.  

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/596469-ps4-can-play-netflix-out-of-the-box-at-launch-no-ps-plus-required

As another poster noted handhelds, tablets and other devices are supporting DLNA. 

Sony has made a considerable amount of changes towards the PS4 and and its strategies clearly from the lessons they learned from the PS3.  Frankly, this is a gaming console first and foremost.  Not a media server and mostly definitely not a Linux device.  Sony is targeting gamers for its gaming console.  Not persnickety techie types that hopefully are resourceful enough anyway to find other ways to have and use DLNA.

Worldwide users or just North America?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Where as I do agree this is a 'bad move' for gamers, it has little bearing on me.  I own a stereo bar that I send music from multiple devices in my home for music/video.  I do agree with the numerous sites that this is a step backwards for making the PS4 a multimedia station, but I believe this is further solidifying their move into offering proprietary services.  They seem to be trying Apple's/their own old tricks again.  Hopefully this goes the route of Betamax with a future patch.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Originally posted by soratta
    Ah, I'm not surprised. In that case, will that change your decision on whether or not you'll get a ps4?

It does for me . . going to cancel my preorder tomorrow and look more at a SteamBox set up (even if I make my own).  No DLNA support sucks. . the one thing I hate about the ROKU.  I have to run a "server" just to access video and music files on my network storage.

That is the one bad thing about my roku but then I'm reminded that it cost me 70$.

I really wish Sega was still a console player...
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

The Muitimedia BS on both consoles does not affect me I already have multiple devices fir streaming content to my T,V and use services like netflix etc.

Only thing that matters to me is what exclusives are on each platform and neither is impressive at launch so I will upgrade my PC this year and decide on which console to purchase sometime next year when they both have larger libraries to make my judgement on.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    The ps3 came out without streaming, for like the first 6 months.
    Sony is trying to beat xbox 1 to market.
    Both systems will release with major patches.
    And within a year you will see them crumble and allow cd audio again

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by killahh
    The ps3 came out without streaming, for like the first 6 months.
    Sony is trying to beat xbox 1 to market.
    Both systems will release with major patches.
    And within a year you will see them crumble and allow cd audio again

Streaming is becoming something that people want, even if they don't need it, and the technical hurdles are pretty trivial. I'm betting the hold up is Sony pushing its own streaming service, where movies, music, etc. is streamed from them, or other commercial entities, not your own media server. They want some control and they want some revenue.

They do seem to be very responsive to market pressure though. If the people who buy their stuff get fed up with what they get, and going back on what they said is the way to get more sales or more support in the market, I bet you're right in that they crumble.

Need. Even if they don't need it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• cyphorcyphor Member UncommonPosts: 131
    This news will only effect a minority and most of them will get over it. Its a games console, and gaming is what the masses intend to do with them. If anything the problem with the "next generation" is that the manufacturers are concentrating too much on making them home media devices, but with the exception of gaming from a couch everything they can do can be achieved better via other means. All that will cause one to sell better than the other will be exclusives, how well they can run 3rd party games and value for money. Currently the PS4 seems to have the lead, but like most gamers I'll just get both, I never really understand why people get so loyal to a brand that they feel the need to slate the competition, each system has merits. Just play what you find fun and enjoy the new titles that will come out of the evolution.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I already have a cheap laptop connected to my tv via hdmi for streaming whatever. Ps4 is a gaming device for me.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.