Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trials of Ascension - MMORPG w/ Permadeath!

ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

Sup guys!

I am sure some of you may be familiar with this game but for those of you who are not, I  wanted to introduce to all of you this game that is currently in limited development. The company (Forged Chaos) is currently run by 3 developers and their ideas for this game are truly unique and inspiring. And I am not referring to 'unique' as being something really odd/weird but really going to back to the old school roots of MMORPG's and making the game incredibly better. With these ideas, they are going to start a 'kickstarter' campaign (which is anticipated to begin within 2-3 weeks from today) to bring the game into full development but only if the kickstarter is successful. To give you an idea of what the game will be similar to (in terms of looks/movement/style), it is going to be very similar to mount and blade. Left click = attack, right click = block. 3rd person view and a reticule like mount and blade for attacking/aiming and the features only get better!

One of the most controversial features of the game is perma-death which has a lot of people immediately turning away from the game when those words are seen. What I can tell you from learning about this game is that ALL of the features of this game are designed to compliment perma-death but also balance it as well. You really need to learn about the game to understand which is why I ask that you try to keep an open mind and take a few minutes to read this post from the Dev who talks about perma-death and its benefits. And just so you guys know - this is not a '1 life to live' kinda of perma-death. As it stands now, it's 100 lives (life-counters) with the 100th LC being the end. Here is the link.

http://trialsofascension.com/news/perks-of-perma-death#.Ue0__ayBBm4

Once you read that, check out this website. This website talks about nearly every feature of ToA in the form of books and all that information is pulled from posts/comments and podcasts directly from the dev's themselves. I think the more you read about these features, the more you will like the game and be more open to the idea of perma-death. Here is that resource.

http://www.thewhisperingmoon.com/library/#

And here is the official website if you want to join the forums and say hello. The community is full of awesome people - little to no trolls and great conversation.

Official website - http://trialsofascension.com/home/

and lastly a video that was posted on youtube to show you what night-time is going to be like in this game. They are really living up to their word when they say night time is going to be extremely dangerous and scary as hell. Travel at night time at your own risk! (This video is PRE-ALPHA). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-8hY6fuj0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for you time and enjoy!

Comments

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

I forgot to add the ToA wiki website too. Another great resource!

Here you go - http://www.toa-wiki.com/wiki/Trials_of_Ascension_Wiki

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by GimiZigi
    Sup guys!I am sure some of you may be familiar with this game but for those of you who are not, I  wanted to introduce to all of you this game that is currently in limited development. The company (Forged Chaos) is currently run by 3 developers and their ideas for this game are truly unique and inspiring. And I am not referring to 'unique' as being something really odd/weird but really going to back to the old school roots of MMORPG's and making the game incredibly better. With these ideas, they are going to start a 'kickstarter' campaign (which is anticipated to begin within 2-3 weeks from today) to bring the game into full development but only if the kickstarter is successful. To give you an idea of what the game will be similar to (in terms of looks/movement/style), it is going to be very similar to mount and blade. Left click = attack, right click = block. 3rd person view and a reticule like mount and blade for attacking/aiming and the features only get better!One of the most controversial features of the game is perma-death which has a lot of people immediately turning away from the game when those words are seen. What I can tell you from learning about this game is that ALL of the features of this game are designed to compliment perma-death but also balance it as well. You really need to learn about the game to understand which is why I ask that you try to keep an open mind and take a few minutes to read this post from the Dev who talks about perma-death and its benefits. And just so you guys know - this is not a '1 life to live' kinda of perma-death. As it stands now, it's 100 lives (life-counters) with the 100th LC being the end. Here is the link.http://trialsofascension.com/news/perks-of-perma-death#.Ue0__ayBBm4Once you read that, check out this website. This website talks about nearly every feature of ToA in the form of books and all that information is pulled from posts/comments and podcasts directly from the dev's themselves. I think the more you read about these features, the more you will like the game and be more open to the idea of perma-death. Here is that resource.http://www.thewhisperingmoon.com/library/#And here is the official website if you want to join the forums and say hello. The community is full of awesome people - little to no trolls and great conversation.Official website - http://trialsofascension.com/home/and lastly a video that was posted on youtube to show you what night-time is going to be like in this game. They are really living up to their word when they say night time is going to be extremely dangerous and scary as hell. Travel at night time at your own risk! (This video is PRE-ALPHA). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-8hY6fuj0&feature=youtu.beThanks for you time and enjoy!

I have to say, that sounds intriguing, all i thought this entire time was gear-loss and wildy in Runescape, then being a Jedi in pre-NGE/CU SWG. Those exhilarating dungeons, and merely fighting your first mobs sounds like a voyage and a true adventure. Implementing that into a sanbox, this game sounds pretty good. Given that character development wouldn't be so strenuous as say FF11, but there was still depth to the economy and combat and character development, I would say, I'd love to give this game a try. Whether or not I'd stick with it would depend on how well they implemented this form of character death.

Obviously grinding a character for years only to die would end the inspiration and ambition for the game altogether, if it was a character progression where you could maybe form a 'Family' with your characters and have family assets and a will and the such to not completely disconnect you from your last character that would also be awesome.

Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

yup trials of ascension looks awesome

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

Sup guys!I am sure some of you may be familiar with this game but for those of you who are not, I  wanted to introduce to all of you this game that is currently in limited development. The company (Forged Chaos) is currently run by 3 developers and their ideas for this game are truly unique and inspiring. And I am not referring to 'unique' as being something really odd/weird but really going to back to the old school roots of MMORPG's and making the game incredibly better. With these ideas, they are going to start a 'kickstarter' campaign (which is anticipated to begin within 2-3 weeks from today) to bring the game into full development but only if the kickstarter is successful. To give you an idea of what the game will be similar to (in terms of looks/movement/style), it is going to be very similar to mount and blade. Left click = attack, right click = block. 3rd person view and a reticule like mount and blade for attacking/aiming and the features only get better!One of the most controversial features of the game is perma-death which has a lot of people immediately turning away from the game when those words are seen. What I can tell you from learning about this game is that ALL of the features of this game are designed to compliment perma-death but also balance it as well. You really need to learn about the game to understand which is why I ask that you try to keep an open mind and take a few minutes to read this post from the Dev who talks about perma-death and its benefits. And just so you guys know - this is not a '1 life to live' kinda of perma-death. As it stands now, it's 100 lives (life-counters) with the 100th LC being the end. Here is the link.http://trialsofascension.com/news/perks-of-perma-death#.Ue0__ayBBm4Once you read that, check out this website. This website talks about nearly every feature of ToA in the form of books and all that information is pulled from posts/comments and podcasts directly from the dev's themselves. I think the more you read about these features, the more you will like the game and be more open to the idea of perma-death. Here is that resource.http://www.thewhisperingmoon.com/library/#And here is the official website if you want to join the forums and say hello. The community is full of awesome people - little to no trolls and great conversation.Official website - http://trialsofascension.com/home/and lastly a video that was posted on youtube to show you what night-time is going to be like in this game. They are really living up to their word when they say night time is going to be extremely dangerous and scary as hell. Travel at night time at your own risk! (This video is PRE-ALPHA). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-8hY6fuj0&feature=youtu.beThanks for you time and enjoy!

I have to say, that sounds intriguing, all i thought this entire time was gear-loss and wildy in Runescape, then being a Jedi in pre-NGE/CU SWG. Those exhilarating dungeons, and merely fighting your first mobs sounds like a voyage and a true adventure. Implementing that into a sanbox, this game sounds pretty good. Given that character development wouldn't be so strenuous as say FF11, but there was still depth to the economy and combat and character development, I would say, I'd love to give this game a try. Whether or not I'd stick with it would depend on how well they implemented this form of character death.

Obviously grinding a character for years only to die would end the inspiration and ambition for the game altogether, if it was a character progression where you could maybe form a 'Family' with your characters and have family assets and a will and the such to not completely disconnect you from your last character that would also be awesome.

I am in the same boat as you Dr.

I personally don't know if I will be fond of permadeath when it happens but the dev's have said that your first character should be looked at as a test dummy. Not only that but with 100 lives, you can spend your last 10 lives storing all of your goods, money, valuables into a vault - start a new character and just pick it all back up. So I think if you plan well enough, I don't think perma-death will be that big of a sting.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

I am in the same boat as you Dr.

I personally don't know if I will be fond of permadeath when it happens but the dev's have said that your first character should be looked at as a test dummy. Not only that but with 100 lives, you can spend your last 10 lives storing all of your goods, money, valuables into a vault - start a new character and just pick it all back up. So I think if you plan well enough, I don't think perma-death will be that big of a sting.

I think the game will fail if they keep this. It will be a niche game because:

1) Most people don't like to invest in something and then have it end if they enjoy playing it or doing it. Its human nature. Still having your gear isn't the same thing.

2) Its going to create even more assholes since people will be sensitive to death and will start blaming people when they die, not want to group with those folks, and foster a community of finger pointing for something that is supposed to be about having fun. Even in WOW, where death is irrelevant, people would get up in arms sometimes when dying. I chose to play with folks who were more laid back, but in PUGs that can be difficult to find and people will all break out of the group after 1 death.

There Is Always Hope!

• ParinoidPandaParinoidPanda Member Posts: 21

Both fair points. Probably going to be a niche game because of the Permanent-death feature. Will it kill it? Well, it definitely won't draw on the people who rage over death, and I suppose time will tell how much of the gaming population is truly like that. 

The reason the feature is there is to prevent people from staying at the max skill-levels for too long so other people won't get crowded out and different people can reach max skill. However, you do bring up a good point that the rule of human nature is that people assume, and they only see things from their perspective, which, as you said, are going to be upset when the game suddenly takes their skills from them. 

I suppose on that point, I feel there is a market for games that actually do that. I've met several people who say they want this feature, or are at least willing to see how it plays out after hearing why it is there. I suppose time will tell if this concept will work. 

If my undead panda's don't get you...

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    Jumping in here.. 100 deaths is alot of time, Or can be short of time.. The game isnt all about running into battle. Before you can even think of prancing into war there are so many things you have to worry about. keeping you from dieing.. Will you die? Yes but no one lives forever & I think FC wants to make it realistic like that.  

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• ThoranTWThoranTW Member Posts: 4
    Really looking forward to this game and as the kickstarter is starting soon, it is a great time to join up, so if you have the time, I recommend you visit us on the forums and say hi. This is mainly just a bump, but it also shows people how much I'm looking forward to this at the same time.

Sorry to necro this thread but the kickstarter for this game has just recently started if anyone is interested and wants to get in before it ends!

You can find it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension-a-truly-innovative-mmorpg

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    This game sounds great.