Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Secret World: Augments and Scenarios, Oh My!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World is getting ready for some big changes and exciting new locations to explore when Issue 8: The Venetian Agenda goes live later this fall. We had the opportunity to speak with the team about Issue 8 and have some exclusive information to share. Read on and then leave us your impressions in the comments.

We met Joel and Tor in the Agartha transit system, fully dressed in top-end gear and the new outfits from the most recent content update. Sometimes it pays to be on the dev server, even if just for a little bit. The first thing they guys wanted us to know is that the Council of Venice can be entered at any time by any one... but that doesn’t mean you’ll be ready for its challenges. The Scenarios themselves are intended for folks wielding Quality Level 9 or 10 items, so in this way it’s meant for people more towards the “endgame”. After several issues with stories focused more on lateral progression, Joel and team felt the time was right to add something in that would work as a more vertical progression system to help prepare players for Tokyo’s challenges.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Secret World: Augments and Scenarios, Oh My!

Familiar place, with a not so familiar scenario.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

great write up. massively also did a more in depth write up as well- but your images are better!-lol

over all nice to see this game getting the spotlight it well deserves!!!!, also glad they are charging for tokyo!

next week will be huge!!!!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I hope B2P TSW is doing financially well, it deserver's it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Seeing the amount of People online every day in litterly every zone. I Guess it's doing ok tho.

As long as People either subscribe or buy something in the store now and then to support the game.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Can´t wait!!

My wallet is ready

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Is combat any more interesting, or is it still the same slow slog of a system as before?  I couldn't stand having to do the same basic string of actions for 30 to 45 seconds for every enemy.

You make me like charity

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I've always loved this game, but stopped playing due to lack of content (around issue 1 or 2). When Tokyo is released I plan on resubbing to experience all of the new content; hopefully, it will keep me busy for a while. 
  • NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I quit this game just before it became sub free. Anyone know a website that has the list of new quests etc added since then so I can get a heads up where to go when I come back?
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I love it but this is not a mmo.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Spiider
    I love it but this is not a mmo.

How? It has a relatively large persistant world... what games do you consider MMOs?

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Massivly multiplayer... with emphasis on multiplayer... all I see is guys running around solo with few people grouping up to do dungeons. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game and it has THE BEST lore and THE BEST quests in the industry. Its simply not multiplayer.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Natjur
    I quit this game just before it became sub free. Anyone know a website that has the list of new quests etc added since then so I can get a heads up where to go when I come back?

http://unfair.co/issues/  -  I've tried to organize a section of what was added with each issue.  Should give you a good idea of what content has been added at each step!

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Massivly multiplayer... with emphasis on multiplayer... all I see is guys running around solo with few people grouping up to do dungeons. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game and it has THE BEST lore and THE BEST quests in the industry. Its simply not multiplayer.

think you could pick any MMO out now an say the same.  FF14,WOW are both very solo friendly with few people grouping up to do dungeons or  raids.

• YastrebYastreb Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Guys, can anybody help with trial key? [email protected]
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Thats how i played other games too, i never grouped till max level in Tera/gw2 or some others. If its not needed then you mostly won't waste time for forming a group

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Hmm, may have to get back into it... is the vertical progression still really steep though? Because in a game with so much potential for horizontal progression and experimentation I really hated that it was still 99% about vertical progression.
  • AceMasterAceMaster Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by acidblood
    Hmm, may have to get back into it... is the vertical progression still really steep though? Because in a game with so much potential for horizontal progression and experimentation I really hated that it was still 99% about vertical progression.

Don't think progression changed from how it used to be yet, but i don't understand what vertical progression are you talking about? In a week you can have enough skills to be competitive with others who have full wheel. If you want more options or everything, that is another thing.

Augments will add more to vertical progression tough that is why i said nothing has changed YET :)

@Spiider

You saw 1 person? then it's a mmo. The game is actually better because there aren't to many people around. As a side note, you have to group for and farm dungeons like any other mmo if you want the best gear

LOL!

By Your description the MMORPG genre has long been dead for many years.

As litterly every MMORPG has been solo friendly since what? 2004! /shrug

And I don´t think it´s a bad thing either. As often I simply don´t have the time to search for Groups and spend a long time in a row. I often have to taken lots of breaks during a play session.

So it´s Nice to have a Choice and be able to Solo when I want to and to Group when I want to.

The Secret World however, is very Group friendly and it has actually plenty of very challenging solo missions Chains (especially the issue series for example) that are much more fun to do with 1 other person.

For the rest this game has litterly a ton of Group content, in form of Dungeons in 3 different difficulty modes, Contested Lair areas With different Lair and World bosses, NY RAID and as of Next week Scenarios.

So come on now.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Looking forward when they decide to introduce additional slots for active buttons. One of very fun  and pretty original but I stopped long ago to play buttons mashers.
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Looking forward when they decide to introduce additional slots for active buttons. One of very fun  and pretty original but I stopped long ago to play buttons mashers.

I hope you see the Irony in Your own post. lol. :-)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I just picked it up the other day and have mixed feelings about it so far. I like that its partially open ended in how you play and has a unique setting. I don't like that its utterly confusing in some cases, what to do, how to play and do things, and there doesn't seem to be much social interaction with other players. Combat is probably the worse aspect of the game, being a very boring mix of unrealistic actions and repetition. Plus you die a lot, partially because enemies are very thick, dangerous and respawn quickly. But Ill keep at it.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by mCalvert

I just picked it up the other day and have mixed feelings about it so far. I like that its partially open ended in how you play and has a unique setting. I don't like that its utterly confusing in some cases, what to do, how to play and do things, and there doesn't seem to be much social interaction with other players. Combat is probably the worse aspect of the game, being a very boring mix of unrealistic actions and repetition. Plus you die a lot, partially because enemies are very thick, dangerous and respawn quickly. But Ill keep at it.

Hola!  Here's a couple forum threads that I think will be helpful:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907

Once you start increasing the number of skills and abilities, you can switch up your build and get more interesting combat effects; your build is key to survivability -- don't be afraid to ask questions.  Lots of good tips in the build section as well:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by daltanious

Don't forget that you have up to 525 abilities that can slotted in your deck (7 active / 7 passive + aux weapon).  There's no need to stay with the same abilities throughout the entire game -- as you earn more abilities, switch up your build!  See:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    All this incoming content its good, but i rather want them to fix the fps issues related to nvidia gcards.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by AceMaster
    Originally posted by acidblood

Don't think progression changed from how it used to be yet, but i don't understand what vertical progression are you talking about? In a week you can have enough skills to be competitive with others who have full wheel. If you want more options or everything, that is another thing.

Augments will add more to vertical progression tough that is why i said nothing has changed YET :)

I meant more itemisation wise.. can't remember the exact figures, but basically I remember content going from impossible to passable to cake walk with each new quality level of gear (weapon especially), so yeah there is a lot of horizontal progression etc. but you're still very (and overly IMO) dependent on gear.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by mCalvert

TSW has IMO hands down the most complicated skill synergy system of any MMO out there.  if you love that kind of thing you can spend countless hours theory crafting builds based on specific themes.

The problem I have with the game is that once you hit that first attack it kind of all falls flat in a hurry.  It's a gave where the act of picking what skills to put on your hot bar is much more interesting and engaging than actually using them.

Not to say it's not a good game just that the act of actual combat is probably it's weakest part.  If you can look past that and at the deep character skill system, great lore, and well designed zones it's a really good game.