Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is your first MMORPG your favorite?

Comments

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

I actually bought two MMO's when I decided to try playing them, WoW and Final Fantasy XI (for the PS2) (yes, I am relatively new to this branch of the hobby, I know...). I started playing WoW first because it took me awhile to get an ethernet cable long enough to hook up my PS2 to the network. WoW started to draw me in, but then I finally got FFXI up and running and never looked back. FFXI is my favorite and I play WoW only occasionally.

Chris Mattern

• OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378

The first mmorpg that took my virtual virginity was SWG... I then dumped that whack game because..( I don't think I need to explain. ) It's not my fav though... so far my fav mmo is Ryzom.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

UO

First thing close was AOL Chat Room "Simming".

Example- :::::::pulls sword from back::::::

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

First MMO was Lineage 1. Played it for a while and got a lot of crap from koreans (getting triple teamed etc and people killing my pets without repurcussions) got annoyed enough and quit. After that was EQ which I played from day one up to kunark release. Left for a while, beta tested DAoC at start of phase 3 for a bit. I liked it but after they wiped I didn't really have the drive to go through again to have them wipe again, and never played retail. Did COH, it was ok until I discovered how much of a grind it was, same with FFXI. AO was in there somewhere also, but I stopped playing that due to a lot of bugs in the game, wasting credits on skills that didn't work correctly etc. EQ2, couldn't handle SOE's insanely greedy nature. I play WoW periodically now, it's ok but I get bored of it and put it down sometimes.

Overall, I would say I had the most fun in EQ as a bard, swarm kiting 30 or so mobs and levelling like lightning (though I could almost never pick up any loot). It was pretty good, but took so much of my time. I don't really have big amounts of time like that to invest any longer (nor do I choose to) so...

Nothing else really gave me a run for my money like EQ.

• FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555

Asheron's Call was my first, and I think it is still the best mmorpg ever made. The supposed exploits didn't affect me much, mainly because I didn't pk. I think it's not only the best mmorpg, but the most improved. The guys at Turbine have really taken this game far. I'm still pretty far from trying out all the quests, and they just keep adding them on every single month. The game is better than ever in its current state.

My second mmorpg was DAOC. I somewhat enjoyed that game during its first month, but I just wasn't having fun during the times I wasn't in a group. I would simply be spending too much time sitting on the ground and watching that life bar slowly fill up. I quit that, and I still have the game cd and jewel case.

Next, I bought AC2 when it first came out. Mistake. The game had more bugs than I'd ever seen before, and the lag was horrific. I played it for almost 2 months, but then they came out with a patch that completely crippled my class, so I quit.

The next mmog that I purchased was Planetside. I betaed it, and actually had a lot of fun with it. Planetside has given me some of the largest FPS battles I have ever seen. Not even Battlefield and BF2 could match the scale of battles in Planetside. I had a blast during the first 2 months, but slowly I found populations start drying up. I felt it was taking too long to find enemies to fight. When I started spending more time not fighting than fighting, I quit. I never really cared for the whole base control aspect anyway. I just wanted to be part of a battle.

Finally, I bought WoW, and I actually played that longer than any other mmorpg except AC. I had reasonable fun for about 4 months with that game, but it just started getting too routine, and I decided that AC was more fun.

• dunaduriumdunadurium Member Posts: 257

Everquest from day one for about 3 years although the last was just on and off. back then those were the "good days". Have not found or played an MMO to match the EQ experience since but i have high hopes for Vanguard image.

Dunadurium

"Silly rabbit, WoW's for kids"

• royalsroyals Member Posts: 27

Sadly, my first mmo was Runescape. Years later, it is definatly not my favorite mmo. The odd thing is though, that game had me hooked longer than any other mmorpg I've played thus far. My favorite would have to be ffxi. It can be ridiculus waiting for partys at times, but I really enjoy the community.

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

UO from 97-99 My first and favorite. Currently playing wow a tad, although loggin in less and less. And just picked up guild wars, pretty cool so far.

But Old UO was my favorite. Still cant find a game that matches the total freedom of old UO. Weird in all these new games they wont let you own and decorate up a house. I figured that would be standard after UO.

• alex5963alex5963 Member Posts: 7
    tibia was my first game,but after i played a hell lot of games, it sucksimageimage
  • exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

my first mmorpg was runescape , then , anarchy online for a month or so with the free acount .. its was fun , i felt so distant from the level 151 friends that i made ...  anarchy made me feel what was it like ...  i never got adicted to it .. i know becose now im completely adicted to guildwars , that game that people say its not adictive and that you wont play for many hours , well .. i play from 3 to ... 10 hours or more.  love it . not bored . almost never pvp .

• ZeremiZeremi Member Posts: 386

Originally posted by Ashkent
    Originally posted by Zeremi Originally posted by scaramooshOriginally posted by Zeremi If i need to say the next favorite mmorpg, that would be HellGate: London... some little side rpgs can come before HG:L... Edit - Sry... i didnt mean mmorpg, i mean online rpg... 'caus some guys dont just accept the mmorpg word in this game...
    That's because it's not a mmorpg :
    well its kinda good; no lagging, right?
    just because you play it online and it has no lag doesn't mean its a mmorpg...

Did i say so? I mean like ''Ok its not an mmorpg, but its good 'caus it wont lag'' ::::29::

My enjoy of the game wont be changed from is it online game or mmog ::::02::

• B._TOM_KiddB._TOM_Kidd Member Posts: 69

well, it was favourutable for 5 months, now i cant even look at it.

i am talking about MU, and its had hooked in the longest from all of the free games i played.

Wolfang, the lvl 50 Guardian of Splitpaw - EQ2.
    SuRfer of Werner - Planetside

• kingmasquekingmasque Member Posts: 31

no i don't think so ......

my favorit was warcraft III: the frozen throne

• TitiannaTitianna Member Posts: 8
    My first was Asherons Call. Haven't found a game I'd liked as much so far... image
  • DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

My first unfortunatly was Runescape.

I'll be scarred for life.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    My first unfortunatly was Runescape.I'll be scarred for life.
    Still your best mmropg? ::::02::
  • RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280

I voted no. My first was The Realm which I beta tested and played in '96. My favourite is DAoC which I still play after four years. Others come and go but DAoC is my staple.

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
    William S. Burroughs

Originally posted by Zeremi

Ask yourself Zeremi, It doesn't require much complex thought.

It was a joke ::::36:: ''My first UNFORTUNATLY was Runescape.''
    I ask ''Still your best mmorpg? ::::02:: (WITH SMILE!!) (And the topic is ''Is your first MMORPG your FAVORITE''
    Does it require that much to see its a joke? If so, i can say that im not good in jokes... ::::05::
  • DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Voted yes but not because of the game. EQ was my first MMORPG and it was the experience that I liked the best. EQ was new and had a big "wow" factor. But after palying a few years and different MMORPG I will never have the same experience. there is nothing new under the sun and while CoH and AC and WOW have given my thrills my first game before becoming experienced (or jaded) will be the best. Does this make any sense?

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• FraggleFraggle Member UncommonPosts: 117

My first mmo was AC1 which I loved for about 18 months.  After this I played DaoC which was probably my favorite although I quit when ToA was released.  Tried going back to classic servers but the game just looks so tired now.

Currently playing EQ2 and looking forward to the pvp servers.

It was a joke ::::36:: ''My first UNFORTUNATLY was Runescape.''
    I ask ''Still your best mmorpg? ::::02:: (WITH SMILE!!) (And the topic is ''Is your first MMORPG your FAVORITE''
    Does it require that much to see its a joke? If so, i can say that im not good in jokes... ::::05::

I may not have many social skills,but I knew that was a joke, however, I haven't advanced my social skills enough to make jokes.

Just need to kill more beach leets.

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

my first MMO was FFXI, and I'll say this: I had more FUN on that game than I've had on any MMO previously, but no it isn't my favorite. the main reason I think I had so much fun was because absolutely everything was so new to me. i tried going back recently and couldn't stand it though, so my newest love is WoW.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    My first MMO I ever played was UO online I really loved it but dont think I would go back..

My MMO cycle went something like this

UO->EQ1->CoH->L2->PS->GW->WoW