Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that WAR is going down, what alternative DAOC-style mmo will you play?

Comments

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    GW2 is to watered down. I switched to Darkfall and loving it. See video in my signature.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Some are already moving to Darkfall. Some will wait a year or two for the next big conquest mmo

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337

well a few games

I'm playing Chivalry for a bit of brutal combat, but its all instanced match based, nice for a couple of fun matches but i cant play it all night

I'm playing Skyrim and torchlight 2 for a bit of fantasy PVE

I'm playing Planetside 2 for RVR.   As its the only modern RVR game.  Its fun and involves as much teamwork as WAR, and you can do things as a guild, but its sci-fi and im also not that good at fps so I tend to play chaufer ferrying people around in galaxies and sunderers while supporting people with engineer skills.

But damn it, I want something where I can go around being a big orc and bashing people.

Will try CU.  have some doubts about ESO, looks a bit  separated and gamey like GW2

people mentioned Darkfall and GW2, but neither are RVR games.  Darkfall is a Guild vs Gujild / FFA game.  WvW is a 2 week long red vs green vs blue fight, there's no realms in it, so for me there's no lore reason to fight, I couldn't get into it for this reason.  Also you coudl be doing well then it reset, and WVW on my low level character at least seemed a huge gold sink.

Glad I didn't though as I discovered PS2 and the maps are way bigger in PS2, each side has their own unique weapons and vehicles to fuel rivalry, it doesn't reset its constantly ongoing.   but then they have the alert system for those that want a "winning a match" type purpose too,  this works by every so often you get a random 2 hour long event like say capture the continent of indar or capture all the powers stations on all 3 continents - if a side does this before the time limit they get a big XP bonus, if the timer runs out the side / sides closest to winning get a moderate bonus.

Anyway its worth checking out until CU launches as its F2P.  however you do need a good computer to run it. 

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    HKO.....it has all the PvP I would want to play

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

What's HKO?
  • ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

HKO is Hello Kitty Online right?

I assume the suggestion of HK o is justa joke. HKO has no pvp.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Rift, it is F2P, the graphics are an updated version (look wise) of WAR. The rift system is a more advanced copy of the WAR public quest system. The RvR is also done fairly well (IMO)

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    DAOC...12 years old...a tattered remant of a once great game is still THE BEST rvr(realm vs realm ) game on the market.No other company has bothred to understand its strengths.Certainly not GW2.
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

This is true. I think it's sadly amusing that some people call for more "massive" in mmo's but that usually means that "a massive" amount of people might want to participate in what is considered large scale activities.

People could wait for Camelot Unchained.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

Mark Jacobs destroyed DAOC and WAR...and you can't wait for his next project ?

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    I imagine the next will be Elder Scrolls Online. Issue is from what little I've looked into that game is like GW2 there won't be a difference in available classes. Didn't DAoC have similar classes between factions, but slight variations? Regardless if there are specific racial traits it might vairy it up some. Guess it's wait and see though.
  • VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Kendane
    I imagine the next will be Elder Scrolls Online. Issue is from what little I've looked into that game is like GW2 there won't be a difference in available classes. Didn't DAoC have similar classes between factions, but slight variations? Regardless if there are specific racial traits it might vairy it up some. Guess it's wait and see though.

DAoC didnt have the same classes on all 3 realms. For example all 3 different heavy melee wore different types of armor and used different types of weapons. Armsmen wore plate, could use a polearm and a few other different types of weapons, warriors wore chain and could use a 1 handed or 2 handed weapon with the same spec, heroes wore scale and had spears and different variations of large weapons. The only spec line that was the same for all 3 of those classes came from the shield line.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by wsmar
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.

GW2 WvW = zerg. It is horrible. The great thing about WAR was that you could actually combat the zerg, without actually having to zerg yourself. That's not the case in GW2, you can barely even play a melee class in WvW. I think it is a pretty sad attempt at objective based PvP especially when they had a great template in WAR to look off of. 

No offense but you must be a terrible player.

The melee classes are insanely overpowered at the moment in WvW. The zergs are small teams (rarely over 25 players) in the bronze tier of servers. If you do pick up GW2 for the WvW, feel free to contact ptitminou.6489 on Sorrow's Furnace server. If you want 80+ man teams and extreme coordination, Sanctum of Rall is probably your best bet as all they run is one huge, fat zerg. I suggest you play a warrior, necro or guardian. Warrior is the most OP class in WvW at the moment.

Most people who complain about zergs usually are just sad that they cant be solo heroes in that game and understand nothing about the concept of team play. If you want 1v1 fights or battlegrounds, GW2 is probably one of the worst games out there for that, even WoW's sPvP is better than GW2's.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by ringdany
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by tom_gore

GW2's latest patch introduced a new mechanic that reduced zerging a bit on the borderlands WvW. Also, roll into a server that is not that high on the ranking list of WvW and you will face less zergs.

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

You have the perfect post! There is no way to get out of a zerg battle in games or battles in real life. All the epic movies that introduce huge battles depict two forces rushing into one huge zerg in the middle of the battle field. 

hm.. ok i did read about GW2's combat system. I also tried Regnum and Aika. Regnum seems to have less zergyness than GW2 and the combat seems more balanced. Not all rvr pvp mmos are dependent on zergs - In regnum, the individual player can still feel he can make a difference on his own. I guess a determinant of whether a game is zergy is whether the determinant of victory in pvp is more a player's skill, or the presence of a zerg.

Don't waste any time on Regnum, its just a garbage game. I've played the game for a while with a friend who couldn't play any decent MMO. The PvE grinding is boring and takes a really long time, balanced in this game is non existant. Gear makes huge difference and its the worst RGN of the genre. Most people just play for themselves, they don't care about you and most of them are just bad. Devs are the most incompetent in the industry, they prefer to add some new useless stuff instead of fixing the HUGE amounts of problems the game have.

All in all, GW2 is a million time better than this trash game.

• korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30

A few of my WAR mates have started up darkfall unholy wars, they are loving it! FFAMMORPG Sandbox type of game with the same subscription price as WAR. There is lots of huge sieges with hundreds of people fighting eachother and a huge world.

No ea never put out the classic daoc server.

There are apparently servers out there that just run base daoc and shrouded isles, but Im not going to link them.

If you want to stay legal, as I said before, planetside 2 is the best rvr game you can play today. Much better than gw2s WvW, got more active players than the other games mentioned.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by goldtoof

There are apparently servers out there that just run base daoc and shrouded isles, but Im not going to link them.

If you want to stay legal, as I said before, planetside 2 is the best rvr game you can play today. Much better than gw2s WvW, got more active players than the other games mentioned.

I gotta disagree here. PS2 has better graphics, and faster gameplay...

But unless they changed something recently, it's just a giant meaningless fight that nobody can ever really win.

In Darkfall, when your city get's sieged, you're defending your home. There is more meaning to pvp, because there is reward and consequence.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Well later in the year those people left at Mythic are going to be revamping New Frontiers so with the death of WAR you could always go back to the best pvp game ever made., DAoC.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Lustmord

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative?

It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with.

It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat.

Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city.

All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH.

It would be awesome.

Darkfall is very different from WAR.

In WAR looting people is not one of your main objectives.

Also in WAR it is more about how you use the abilities (ability management), as oppose to how good your aim and how fast you react to swings are (personal skills)

I can't imagine people who main WAR would have a lot of love for Darkfall... it is just so different.

Originally posted by Lustmord

I gotta disagree here. PS2 has better graphics, and faster gameplay...

But unless they changed something recently, it's just a giant meaningless fight that nobody can ever really win.

In Darkfall, when your city get's sieged, you're defending your home. There is more meaning to pvp, because there is reward and consequence.

Right on "a giant meaningless fight that nobody ever wins" says it all.Combine that with level 1's competing against level 100's and you get some idea of why the game collapsed almost as soon as it was introduced.

I feel I should respond on SirFubar's post here about Regnum: "Don't waste any time on Regnum, its just a garbage game.... The PvE grinding is boring and takes a really long time, balanced in this game is non existant. Gear makes huge difference...... All in all, GW2 is a million time better than this trash game."

Regnum is a very capable RvR open PvP mmo when ranked alongside indie games. It may not be as slick and fancy as Tera but it certainly can compete toe-to-toe with DAOC. And it isn't pay to win. Also note- as an RvR game, players are really meant to be independent and self-motivated to go out, join the crowd and kill the enemy themselves.

GW2 - not bad. very good if you want to pay the small price.

Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.

Darkfall - this is not RvR. This is more about ganging up and ganking new players for no reason whatsoever.

No question DAOC.

#2 PS2

not even worth considering Gw2   WvW

Originally posted by ringdany

Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.

HL2, counterstrike & halo aren't MMOs

PS2 takes place in persistent world, its a never ending battle, its not a 32 vs 32 match like battlefield.

Originally posted by ringdany Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.  
    HL2, counterstrike & halo aren't MMOs PS2 takes place in persistent world, its a never ending battle, its not a 32 vs 32 match like battlefield.

i guess it's a question of definitions. for my personal preferences, an fps has such limited situational awareness, 30 or 100 on one map doesn't seem to make much of s difference. it's mainly just waiting for the next headshot.

2000 per "map" in ps2. Only its not really maps, its continents. It's pretty much the same setup as daoc, except its a fps not tab target, and there's no pve.