Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healer looking for a game

gogogo271gogogo271 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Hello everyone,

I am a healer since Helbreath and I can not find the feeling of the old games. Let me explain: the game where healers do not move and use one or two skills are annoying to die for me. I'm looking for a game where healers need:

1. Skill
  2. Responsiveness
  3. Anticipation
  4. Not only healing but also buff (like shields)
  5. Unsurprisingly, being healer, I like the team play.

Recently tested games that did not give me satisfaction:

SWTOR: Boring, boring and boring.

RIFT: It's better but still not it.

FF14: Not even worth talking about, healing is as well interesting that a slug weightless on the moon.

GW2: Oh, no healer.

Thank you for your answers.

PS : F2P or P2P doesn't matter. 

Comments

• ZubatiZubati Member UncommonPosts: 10
    eq2
  • ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    old school but DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot)?
  • gogogo271gogogo271 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Thank you but I am looking for something a little more recent.
  • ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746
    neverwinter?

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

Actually, if old school isn't a problem, try out Vanguard. It has some of the best healer classes, including disciple and bloodmage, both very different healers with pretty unique mechanics that heal by being active and attacking. Even the VG Cleric is more of a battle cleric than the really old school EQ cleric, especially if they spec into War affinity. And the shaman has 3 patrons to choose from and can use them to very actively participate.

If there's one thing Vanguard really did right, it's the classes.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Maybe you might give DDO a shot. Quests are instanced so you are supposed to do them with a group. Although in recent years the game was changed so the low and mid levels could be soloed. So it might take some time to rise in level and get some meaningful group experience.

Healers get lots of tools (offensive, defensive, crowd control wise and healing wise). There are at least 4 basic classes (cleric, druid, favoured soul and bard) which can be built to be healers. There is a combination of a class system and skill system with the option to multi-class (i.e. train more than one class with some drawbacks).

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

TSW has nice healing as well. I'm not fully familiar with AR (only the most common abilities, dunno why but AR never "clicked" to me), but both fist and blood are fun, and blood uses many shields as you mentioned in 4.

Edit: if Rift was better, maybe LotRO? Runekeeper's attunement system is cool, and I loved the mini even more, until the previous revamp. But I guess it'd be better if you wait with checking LotRO after the HD launch, who knows how will they heal after that...

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by gogogo271

Hello everyone,

I am a healer since Helbreath and I can not find the feeling of the old games. Let me explain: the game where healers do not move and use one or two skills are annoying to die for me. I'm looking for a game where healers need:

1. Skill
    2. Responsiveness
    3. Anticipation

FF14: Not even worth talking about, healing is as well interesting that a slug weightless on the moon.

Why bring this to everyones attention?  Its a known fact and would not be a suggestion.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Shari
    neverwinter?

Neverwinter!?! Last time I healed in that it was insane aggro all the way. Standard healer strategy was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9I4nZx8UCs

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Dirkin

Actually, if old school isn't a problem, try out Vanguard. It has some of the best healer classes, including disciple and bloodmage, both very different healers with pretty unique mechanics that heal by being active and attacking. Even the VG Cleric is more of a battle cleric than the really old school EQ cleric, especially if they spec into War affinity. And the shaman has 3 patrons to choose from and can use them to very actively participate.

If there's one thing Vanguard really did right, it's the classes.

+1

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

If you want a game that takes true skill then Knight Online is the game for you.

Tough level grind and gear grind, but by far the greatest PvP MMO that has been made. Priests are extremely hard to kill when fully geared with weopon defenses.

You can skill several ways.

1. Buff/Heal

2. Debuff/Heal

3. Heal/Debuff

4. Heal/Buff

5. Buff/Debuff

6. Debuff/Buff

Priest class is absolutley NEEDED in this game is what I love about it.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    World of Warcraft is what you are looking for.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Thank you but I am looking for something a little more recent.

Recent is going to be a issue.  IMO it's pretty hard to make a great healer class with 7-10 skills on your hot bar.  

Healing in EQ2 even if it is a older game is a challenge.  The difference between really good healers and ok ones is very apparent.  

I have hope for Wildstar but I know it's probably going to end up being misplaced.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Fist/Blood Magic in The Secret World comes to mind. Fist gives you all the heal over time abilities while Blood Magic gives you a ton of shielding. Both have "Oh shit!" abilities but Blood is mainly used to deal with the damage spikes while Fist gives a constant stream of HoT. I think this fits most, if not all, of your criteria.
  • MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

Hello everyone,

1. Skill
    2. Responsiveness
    3. Anticipation

Come give Wurm Online a try... Play as a fighting Fo priest, healing class with also enchants for other things like weapons and such. Fo priests are also one of the easier priests to skill up vs the others but a very needed player on the battlefield.

If you are interested to know more feel free to send me a PM. The game is free to play but caps at 20 skill, you would need to be premium in order to become a priest because of the skills needed. But again its not a hard process.

Thank you for all your answers. I notice that nobody has talked about AOC, I guess the healer should not be quite fun.

We also spoke of TSW, but I'm annoyed by the fact that there have only 8 skills in the bar. Now on GW1, even with eight skills, the healer was complex. Is it the same thing on TSW?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Thank you for all your answers. I notice that nobody has talked about AOC, I guess the healer should not be quite fun.

We also spoke of TSW, but I'm annoyed by the fact that there have only 8 skills in the bar. Now on GW1, even with eight skills, the healer was complex. Is it the same thing on TSW?

Since you can switch and shuffle your abilities as you want, I'd say it's pretty complex, you can be any type of a healer - maybe with the exception of the standard burst heal spammer one, there are many of those abilities as well of course, but not very viable because of the longer cd. So small quick heals with HoT's / bubbles on the side, with damage, and 1-2 big, "oh, sh.t" heals will fill your slots most of the times :)

I didn't say AoC only because you've said "something recent" and it's more than 5 years old. BS is one of most fun healer I have. ToS is nice too, but more like a glass cannon dps with heals than a full healer (and not using the combo system). PoM is the "same-old" mmo priest, with some additional flavor, but to be honest, never pulled him above 40... So if you plan to check AoC, start with the bear, it's great.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Try the Monk healer in WoW (Mistweaver spec), it's got some pretty cool healing mechanics with some martial arts thrown in. 

Originally posted by Po_gg

Originally posted by gogogo271 Thank you for all your answers. I notice that nobody has talked about AOC, I guess the healer should not be quite fun. We also spoke of TSW, but I'm annoyed by the fact that there have only 8 skills in the bar. Now on GW1, even with eight skills, the healer was complex. Is it the same thing on TSW?
    Since you can switch and shuffle your abilities as you want, I'd say it's pretty complex, you can be any type of a healer - maybe with the exception of the standard burst heal spammer one, there are many of those abilities as well of course, but not very viable because of the longer cd. So small quick heals with HoT's / bubbles on the side, with damage, and 1-2 big, "oh, sh.t" heals will fill your slots most of the times :)   I didn't say AoC only because you've said "something recent" and it's more than 5 years old. BS is one of most fun healer I have. ToS is nice too, but more like a glass cannon dps with heals than a full healer (and not using the combo system). PoM is the "same-old" mmo priest, with some additional flavor, but to be honest, never pulled him above 40... So if you plan to check AoC, start with the bear, it's great.
    I tried TSW, unfortunately I do not like the game

When I said something recent, I mean in terms of graphics. Sorry if I misspoke. I'll try AOC now. Then maybe I will look towards Tera. If neither suits me I do not know where to look.

For other games that have been suggested to me :

EQ2 : too old

Vanguard : too old

DAOC : too old

DDO : great game but  too old

Knight Online : My eyes are bleeding.

Wow : My eyes are bleeding again.

Wurm Online : Ok, no more eyes...

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by gogogo271 Hello everyone, I am a healer since Helbreath and I can not find the feeling of the old games. Let me explain: the game where healers do not move and use one or two skills are annoying to die for me. I'm looking for a game where healers need: [*] Skill [*] Responsiveness [*] Anticipation
    Not only healing but also buff (like shields)
    Unsurprisingly, being healer, I like the team play.
    Recently tested games that did not give me satisfaction: SWTOR: Boring, boring and boring. RIFT: It's better but still not it. FF14: Not even worth talking about, healing is as well interesting that a slug weightless on the moon. GW2: Oh, no healer. Thank you for your answers.   PS : F2P or P2P doesn't matter. 
    Why bring this to everyones attention?  Its a known fact and would not be a suggestion.

When you buy a mmorpg, you're not expecting to have to play as dps. It should be noted in large letters on their website that there is no tank and healer in the game, I'm sure it would have helped me and others not to lose money in their game
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    You've pretty much covered the main mmos. I play healer quite a lot and I found wow to offer the most variety. You have 5 very different classes with their own cool mechanics.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

So this may be an off-the-wall answer, but have you tried Medic in Planetside 2? You won't be buffing anyone, but you will move plenty, heal, res, work with your team to kill the enemy, etc etc. You'll have very few moments of just sitting around doing nothing. But I suppose if you can't stand PVP or something it won't be the game for you.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

AION is pretty decent imo, F2P and you get all of the content and they have a fast track server if you are more worried about end game than leveling. I would avoid Tera, the healing in that game was just downright obnoxious since the UI got in the way of your job.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by gogogo271 Hello everyone, I am a healer since Helbreath and I can not find the feeling of the old games. Let me explain: the game where healers do not move and use one or two skills are annoying to die for me. I'm looking for a game where healers need: [*] Skill [*] Responsiveness [*] Anticipation
    Recently tested games that did not give me satisfaction: SWTOR: Boring, boring and boring. RIFT: It's better but still not it. FF14: Not even worth talking about, healing is as well interesting that a slug weightless on the moon. GW2: Oh, no healer. Thank you for your answers.   PS : F2P or P2P doesn't matter. 

When you buy a mmorpg, you're not expecting to have to play as dps. It should be noted in large letters on their website that there is no tank and healer in the game, I'm sure it would have helped me and others not to lose money in their game

When you buy an mmorpg (or any game) you should do a bit of research so you know what you are getting. More games are going to be developed without the holy trinity system so you may want to look at the details before you buy them. 

Most gaming websites incorporate a FAQ section that make it simpler for people to get an idea of what their product is about. GW2 FAQ (3rd question down). It's not in large letters, but it is plain to read.

edit: snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

When you buy an mmorpg (or any game) you should do a bit of research so you know what you are getting. More games are going to be developed without the holy trinity system so you may want to look at the details before you buy them. 

Most gaming websites incorporate a FAQ section that make it simpler for people to get an idea of what their product is about. GW2 FAQ (3rd question down). It's not in large letters, but it is plain to read.

edit: snip

A lot of people don't do research when they are buying video games or other products for that matter. I usually spend 5 min or less if I even bother :D

Which other games are looking to launch without having class roles?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Which other games are looking to launch without having class roles?

EQ:Next might. Though it isn't really clear. It might just be that their multi class system means anyone can fill any roll so you aren't dependent on any single one.