Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any MMOs with HUGE worlds coming out?

TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149

Been playing FFXIV ARR and I would have to say one of the most disappointing things about it is world size. Not to mention I don't even think you can run to all the places without teleport or airship. Hard to say because the map is beyond silly when trying to read it in reference to other cities on the map..

Anyways.. It seems like worlds have been getting smaller and smaller in games. What happen to the feeling of being out in the wild with no one to save you?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Takoo

Been playing FFXIV ARR and I would have to say one of the most disappointing things about it is world size. Not to mention I don't even think you can run to all the places without teleport or airship. Hard to say because the map is beyond silly when trying to read it in reference to other cities on the map..

Anyways.. It seems like worlds have been getting smaller and smaller in games. What happen to the feeling of being out in the wild with no one to save you?

Play in an instance, or play a SP game. No one is there to save you.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You really don't get what he is asking, do you?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Most MMOs are already pretty much single player games with bad quests.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Vanguard, entropia universe, fallen Earth. All are pretty big, EU is enormous, but the cash system puts a lot of people off. Xyson might be worth a try..

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Although it's not coming out for at least a year or two EQN should have a pretty large world.  I say this because it was procedurally generated from a sound algorithm and devs are now working on "points of interest" that go beyond natural landmasses.  SoE has said that the world can be as big as their hardware allows but haven't reached that limit yet.  If they can figure out voxel conditions for mob spawns to go with the mob like/dislike AI we could theoretically head far "out of bounds" to explore and still have content.

Landmark will be coming out sooner but will be more of a template world copied x amount of times, not sure how big it's supposed to be.

I agree with you that worlds seem to get smaller and smaller.  To add insult to injury the zone is typically tailored to a quest chain path... mind numbing...

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

A not as popular MMO that is in the works is Divergence: Online. It gets alot of flak, but one of the nice things about it is that because of the way the game is played, the landscape had to be made to accommodate that task. So the world in D:O is going to be infinite in size, it will grow as the players do. The only caveat with it is that D:O isn't going to be a normal MMO. Their tagline is "remember SWG? Yeah, we miss it too. So heres something sort of like it, and were trying to cater to the hardcore sandbox people"

Another game coming out soon will Be ArcheAge. I've been hearing arguments on both sides as to whether or not this will be a good game, however the map is going to be enormous.

Finally, I will suggest Star Citizen. They are going to have ground combat, So if they do it Planetside-esque, Ground battles may be able to take place on large landfronts, not to mention its a space sim, so it takes place in space, which is already huge.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I assume both Elder Scrolls Online and Everquest Next are going to have large worlds.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ParinoidPandaParinoidPanda Member Posts: 21
    This one is only in Kickstarter at the moment, but Trials of Ascension is planning on having a huge world, with multiple continents. It's a sandbox MMO that's based on exploration and settlements. Might be interesting for you.

If my undead panda's don't get you...

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Pathfinder Online should have a quite sizable world when it's finished (2 or 3 years from now unfortunately). Divergence sounds interesting. Never heard of that one...

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    PFO's map is about the size of Philadelphia iirc but that is not even to begin with, it will be a 1/4 of that or less to begin with, though the world setting itself is much much larger (full planet), but that's fluff for now.

Citadel of Sorcery declared they are making a full planet-sized map, might be worth a snoop? Non-mmo Elite:Dangerous is doing full procedural generation of planets to see what could be put into mmo's in the future.

Otherwise large maps atm are eve and WW2 or something like that that is 1/2 of N. Europe to scale.

It's not te biggest selling point as you'd think at first as player density is important for players to not feel like the game world is dead and then quit.
  • SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    afaik Black Desert will have a pretty big world at release. also mentioned here, TESO will most likely have a nice, big world to explore
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Archeage?

The Repopulation?

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

EQN Landmark and EQN yeah...

If you enjoy big worlds, there's GW2 in the recent games too if you haven't tried yet. Huge world, you can't teleport to a place before you went there the hard way first, and the game rewards exploration big time.

My computer is better than yours.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Eqn should be big sized. The engine is capable of big zones. If you look at planetside 2, using the sane engine, it has 3 zones called continents, each one is bigger than all 4 of gw2s WvW zones put together.

The one that will have the biggest world of the lot though.
    Elite dangerous. Even bigger than eve.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    PFO's map is about the size of Philadelphia iirc but that is not even to begin with, it will be a 1/4 of that or less to begin with, though the world setting itself is much much larger (full planet), but that's fluff for now.

I wasn't sure if OP meant big as in lots of continents to explore or big in terms of scale. Like Philadelphia at 1:1 scale would be a huge game even if it was representing a pretty small area in the context of the world. On the other hand you have that game I saw recently where you can drive from New York to Miami in a couple of minutes real time. PFO will hopefully have small area but big scale.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ParinoidPanda
    This one is only in Kickstarter at the moment, but Trials of Ascension is planning on having a huge world, with multiple continents. It's a sandbox MMO that's based on exploration and settlements. Might be interesting for you.

The perma-death is putting off a lot of people. That's showing in the funding atm. Under 70K in a week isn't all that great. Having perma-death puts the game in niche category, which itself niche isn't a bad thing, the perma-death is what's killing it atm. Hope you all get it funded so you'll have a game you wanna play though. The rest of the game sounds good, just perma-death, no thanks. I was prepared to kick in a good bit til I saw that feature.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Citadel of Sorcery declared they are making a full planet-sized map, might be worth a snoop? Non-mmo Elite:Dangerous is doing full procedural generation of planets to see what could be put into mmo's in the future.

Otherwise large maps atm are eve and WW2 or something like that that is 1/2 of N. Europe to scale.

It's not te biggest selling point as you'd think at first as player density is important for players to not feel like the game world is dead and then quit.

Elite: Dangerous is MMO, see FAQ:  http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

And Section on this site

Most of the action in Elite: Dangerous will take place in the inhabited core systems, still big but a tiny fraction of the whole galaxy.

Players will be kept together because jumping into a system gets you close to the largest mass in the system, a big part of it is populated by NPCs, so it's not gonna be as player driven as say Eve online.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

For existing F2P games, LOTRO has a very large, open world that you can explore up to about level 50 content at the gates of Moria. You might not survive your explorations, but nothing stops you from trying and there are no loading screens.

Once you get to the gates of Moria, content is gated by purchase of expensions and/or level. This holds true for Moria, Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Dunland and Rohan (off the top of my head). But up til then you can explore your heart out in one of the best virtual environments ever!