Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new Landmark screenshots on twitter

124»

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Galadourn

I suggest people devote 30min of their time and watch the SOE-live "creating worlds" panel. Explains a lot about why they chose the specific art style, and it's not a technical limitation that forced them, more like a limitation (or potential, depends how one views it) of the destructibility feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3NEsJzP_o

Lol.

"Who do you believe, my words or you own lying eyes?"

- Groucho Marx

And how's that related  to my post?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I suggest people devote 30min of their time and watch the SOE-live "creating worlds" panel. Explains a lot about why they chose the specific art style, and it's not a technical limitation that forced them, more like a limitation (or potential, depends how one views it) of the destructibility feature.

Lol.

- Groucho Marx

Well, I do not care about reasons and explanations when what I SEE looks ugly to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Lol.

- Groucho Marx

Well, I do not care about reasons and explanations when what I SEE looks ugly to me.

fair enough, I was simply answering to comments trying to explain the chosen art style on the grounds of technical limitations; that's not the case.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I think the people who dont like the art syle need to just admit that eqn is not the game for them and move on.
    I understand if some folks are disappointed because they like the ideas presented so far but wont enjoy the game because of the art syle, but why constantly complain about something you cant change? Why complain about the air when there's nothing else to breathe?
  • vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Metrobius
    I think the people who dont like the art syle need to just admit that eqn is not the game for them and move on.
    I understand if some folks are disappointed because they like the ideas presented so far but wont enjoy the game because of the art syle, but why constantly
    complain about something you cant change? Why complain about the air when there's nothing else to breathe?

Exactly what you are doing, no?

Heh. You got me there vzerov
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

It's clearly a WoW inspired art style. I love the ideas behind the game, but the art-direction is a huge turn off. I'm a grown adult, I simply don't like playing games that looks like this, it just doesn't immerse me in the experience :/

I think EQ2 looked just as good, it really looks terrible for a 2015 game.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by mechtech256

It's clearly a WoW inspired art style. I love the ideas behind the game, but the art-direction is a huge turn off. I'm a grown adult, I simply don't like playing games that looks like this, it just doesn't immerse me in the experience :/

I'm a grown man and, so far, I'm liking the art style. There's a difference between being grown up and trying to act grown up. Just because your an adult doesn't mean you can't enjoy some childish things. For example, I still enjoy some of the Disney and Pixar films, as I'm sure most adults do. Not to mention, we're all sitting here discussing video games, something which is still widely considered to be for children.

So, it's fine to not like the art style, but don't try to act as if your too grown up for it, or that just because it has a cartoony look it means that it must be a children's game.

All art in whatever form is subjective, to say its childish is silly, because then you would have to find some other art and say, "Oh that's grown up" , makes no sense.

The look is a personnel thing, I don't like it looks wise, but by the same token I understand the considerations of the voxel and mesh, so over all I'm intrigued by the game, not the look.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't care what it looks like, as long as the gameplay and especially the housing is done right. I played Asheron's Call for years as well as still having an account to Ultima Online. Both games very aged and neither very pretty but they were 2 of the best mmo's I've ever played as far as content and housing went.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by mechtech256

I'm a grown man and, so far, I'm liking the art style. There's a difference between being grown up and trying to act grown up. Just because your an adult doesn't mean you can't enjoy some childish things. For example, I still enjoy some of the Disney and Pixar films, as I'm sure most adults do. Not to mention, we're all sitting here discussing video games, something which is still widely considered to be for children.

So, it's fine to not like the art style, but don't try to act as if your too grown up for it, or that just because it has a cartoony look it means that it must be a children's game.

Thank you!

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

The screenshots look as good as swtor. A little childish, but no reason to dismiss the game yet.

The art style is acceptable. If the world is immersive, and the gameplay decent, the art style will take a back seat.

If its another static world with linear gameplay, then art style will need to compensate.

I wish we could get the total package, but world and gameplay are higher priorities for me personally.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I come back to this forum maybe once a month for 5 minutes, I look at some news of EQNext and I'm gone 5 minutes later in more disappointment. This game fails to deliver. Looks way too cartoony.
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    I come back to this forum maybe once a month for 5 minutes, I look at some news of EQNext and I'm gone 5 minutes later in more disappointment. This game fails to deliver. Looks way too cartoony.

ok, there's a list of 100's of other games on the left, pick yours.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This thread is a good example of why the MMO market is so awful these days. You should be looking at the features in the game, the graphics should never keep you away from a good game. It doesn't matter what an awesome game looks like it is still an awesome game. A pile of junk game like Rift is going to be a pile of junk no matter how good the graphics.

Also as I said above, you are judging these by pre-alpha screen shots of an unfinished game engine being made by some guy who isn't even part of the art team. Judge the game when you see actual game play screenshots from beta. Giving up on a game due to graphics before it goes alpha is just ridiculous. They showed a 3 month time lapse of how the graphics have changed and they look nothing like they used to and they are still working on them.

Agreed, ender. And. I will add that I suspect at least some of the critics of the art style will get over it if the gameplay is enguaging enough