Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Other Games Like Star Wars: The Old Republic

SithtigerSithtiger Member UncommonPosts: 15

Are there any other sci-fi MMO's out there like Star Wars: The Old Republic?  I have to say I really love this game, but it does seem like people are leaving.  I think it's gotten a lot better since it was first released almost 2 years ago now, but I want to see what else is out there.

What I'm looking for is a game that doesn't require you to play with someone else for most missions.  Don't get me wrong, I love playing with other people, but I don't want to have to get someone's help for most quests.  For example on SWTOR, you can complete 80% of the game by yourself.  They give you a companion about level 9 or so, and you continue to get them throughout the game and by end game you get 5 companions I believe.  You can only use one at a time, but the others you don't use can do crafting for you.

I love playing PvP too, so I'd like to have that as well.  Are there any other games out there like that?  I'm looking at the upcoming Star Citizen space sim.  Now I know a space simulator is different than most MMO's, but that's what I used to play in the 90's anyway.  I just loved them, so that's one, but I'm not sure if I'll like when it comes out, just have to wait and see.  Anyway, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Fallen Earth is another Sci-Fi game. Maybe check that one out.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

It's not SWTOR's fault, it's just how modern MMOs are. Most MMOs these days can be completed solo with/without a companion. Dungeons are the only thing that compulsory require a team. Atleast SWTOR has Heroics which require other people to complete and if you come 20 levels above the Heroic's level to solo face-roll through it then you don't get any exp.

As for other MMOs, there aren't much out there similar to it.

And the population is not at all leaving. It's increasing everyday just as i pointed out in the other thread. If you want proof then look at the population graph of both the heaviest populated servers of NA and EU.

NA Begeren Colony - http://www.torstatus.net/begeren-colony/history/7d#!/begeren-colony/trends/30d

EU The Red Eclipse - http://www.torstatus.net/the-red-eclipse/history/7d#!/the-red-eclipse/trends/30d

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

Same thing happened to me but mostly because i got bored leveling at the same areas over and over again... Damn my undecideness >.<

So i am just taking a break since i cant find any other good mmo like swtor

those new games with 5 abilltiies were you spam 1-2 buttons and occasionally use 30 sec cooldown 3-4-5 imo is very boring and simplified, Rift looked nice but i feels incredibly slow(i guess slow animations vs force speed, force jumps and 1,5 cast abilltiies makes a difference),  plus rift is way too cash shoppy

And i dont think the people are leaving, i got no idea where people get that idea from. Somewhere around last week i made yet another new character and while i was leveling in dromund kaas i show that there were 106 people on that instance and i was really suprised. And we are talking about ToFN which is a pvp server

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I its story based content youbare after, then thats the best it gets in scfi land, however the secret world offers comparable stories in a more down to earth setting, and if you want high fantasie stories then there is lord of the rings online, lots of great lore and content there...  A bit more futuristic might be DC universe online, a lot of soloing story based content there too..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Wolfy2449

Same thing happened to me but mostly because i got bored leveling at the same areas over and over again... Damn my undecideness >.<

those new games with 5 abilltiies were you spam 1-2 buttons and occasionally use 30 sec cooldown 3-4-5 imo is very boring and simplified, Rift looked nice but i feels incredibly slow(i guess slow animations vs force speed, force jumps and 1,5 cast abilltiies makes a difference),  plus rift is way too cash shoppy

And i dont think the people are leaving, i got no idea where people get that idea from. Somewhere around last week i made yet another new character and while i was leveling in dromund kaas i show that there were 106 people on that instance and i was really suprised. And we are talking about ToFN which is a pvp server

That exact thing happened to me. I got bored leveling alts because i couldn't decide on a main (i had i think 12 at 15+), left it for a month or so then came back because i couldn't find anything else i liked. Now, i finally have found my home on a Sorcerer and a Mercenary both in the 30s image

• SithtigerSithtiger Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Sal1
    Fallen Earth is another Sci-Fi game. Maybe check that one out.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Originally posted by skyline385

It's not SWTOR's fault, it's just how modern MMOs are. Most MMOs these days can be completed solo with/without a companion. Dungeons are the only thing that compulsory require a team. Atleast SWTOR has Heroics which require other people to complete and if you come 20 levels above the Heroic's level to solo face-roll through it then you don't get any exp.

As for other MMOs, there aren't much out there similar to it.

And the population is not at all leaving. It's increasing everyday just as i pointed out in the other thread. If you want proof then look at the population graph of both the heaviest populated servers of NA and EU.

NA Begeren Colony - http://www.torstatus.net/begeren-colony/history/7d#!/begeren-colony/trends/30d

EU The Red Eclipse - http://www.torstatus.net/the-red-eclipse/history/7d#!/the-red-eclipse/trends/30d

LOL, slow down....ok.  I'm not knocking SWTOR, but it just seemed like people were leaving.  I didn't say I didn't like it, in fact it's my favorite game right now, and this is coming from a die hard FPS gamer!  In fact I only played FPS games and hated MMO's until SWTOR.  I love that game so much, but I wanted to see what else there is at that.  I've been a subscriber since day 1 and haven't stopped being one.

That's awesome to see that the population isn't going down.  Maybe it's the time of day I go on.

Yeah, that happens to me every 3 to 4 months.  I usually stop playing (still subscribing) for a couple weeks to a month and then go back again.  I tried playing Rift too and loved it, the first couple days and then it got boring FAST.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I its story based content youbare after, then thats the best it gets in scfi land, however the secret world offers comparable stories in a more down to earth setting, and if you want high fantasie stories then there is lord of the rings online, lots of great lore and content there...  A bit more futuristic might be DC universe online, a lot of soloing story based content there too..

Yes, you're correct.  I should have mentioned that.  I don't know why I didn't.  The story in it is just awesome!  As good as it is, I just wish it was as good as Knights of the Old Republic.  That story completely blew me away, and I wasn't expecting it at all.  So far I've completed the Jedi, and the Inquisitor storylines and the Inquisitor is the best so far.

I wish ALL the flashpoints were like The Esseles and the other ones like that.  I love the long storylines.

Originally posted by skyline385

That exact thing happened to me. I got bored leveling alts because i couldn't decide on a main (i had i think 12 at 15+), left it for a month or so then came back because i couldn't find anything else i liked. Now, i finally have found my home on a Sorcerer and a Mercenary both in the 30s image

Yeah, I've got two mid level characters now a Sith Marauder and a Bounty Hunter.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

If you insist on Sci Fi you could try out "Defiance"

although it´s not a tab target MMO it has similiar story telling and quests, and way better directed cutscenes and graphics than SWTOR

also "Firefall"

Apart from SCi Fi-- Secret World is a must-have title, best missions and storytelling and overall direction hands down