Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Achievements that require the cash shop-is this acceptable?

syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Unless I am misinterpreting the Rift announcements, they have added 2 mounts for their halloween event.

One is a gamble box mount, where you have to pay money for a chance at a mount.

But they also added a version of it tied to an achievement.

But wait, that achievement requires 14 items, 4 of which arent found in game.  You need to buy them.

The gamble boxes are a staple of f2p and arent going away.  But charging for an achievement just sounds like a line that shouldnt be crossed.  They know lots of people are achievementaholics.  they may even be subbers-too bad, still gotta pay.

Am I wrong on this interpretation?  Do you think its acceptable?

Comments

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    as along as i can play, without using cash shop, then all this cosmatic well its cosmatic
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    The day Rift announced F2P is the day I stopped caring :) same goes to every other f2p mmorpg. You get what you pay for :D
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I don't like it.  SWTOR has been doing the same thing for a while, and for me, it really cheapened the experience and eventually made me quit playing (it wasn't just that alone that made me quit).

I guess people will say that that is the price of f2p, but you can do f2p without crossing lines like this.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

.....sad.

I don't play any F2P/sub-cash shop hybrid style game

I prefer 1 price for all(everyone) for what the game offers

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by rafalex007
    as along as i can play, without using cash shop, then all this cosmatic well its cosmatic

But is this cosmetic?  Achievement whoring, for lack of a better term, is a valid style of gameplay.  And there is at least one achievement that cant be done without the cash shop.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by syriinx

But is this cosmetic?  Achievement whoring, for lack of a better term, is a valid style of gameplay.  And there is at least one achievement that cant be done without the cash shop.

i know but the reword is cosmetic so you can play all the achivment but not completing it :)

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

Everything can be acquired via gameplay, aka actually doing the event.

If you're lazy or don't have time you can use the cash-shop. I'm sure that was the intention all along. To make those who know how but cant afford the time but can afford the shop to do it through there. And also for those clueless and unwilling to do any research but also with deep pockets to allow them keep themselves in the dark but also have access to the items. The only difference really is that last year in this event you probably wouldnt have even had an idea those items (and the achievements gained through them) existed.

Now whether the "work" required in-game to gain those items in F2P is realistic or just insanely high to force the sales onto players.. well, that's a whole other issue, and one which you didn't even touch/consider so I wont expand on the matter.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's no more stupid than charging for a soulwalk or a useless bag that's going to get replaced. It's only worth getting patron + bag space slots and that's about it. I wouldn't even worry about anything else.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by syriinx

It is acceptable.  None of your or my business what peeps do with their money.  If a person is so OCD to have go get an achievement they have to pay for.... More power to them and to Trion.  I play Rift for free and whatever the other guys do to keep It that way ( for me) I 100% support.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I think Rifts F2P model is among the best in the industry.  You can play the entire game for free and you don't get system wide spam when someone opens a gamble box.  Lets say you played the game for free for 6 months, you saved $90 of sub fees.  If after playing free for that time you dump $50 into the cash shop, you still saved $40.

I think gamble boxes and most F2P models suck but I also think Rifts is the best of the bunch and if you want to hate on F2P, you need to head over to Cryptics forums where your hate is justified. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

nothing new here, like WoW does with buying collectors edition and so on

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    If someone wants to pay for what basically amounts to a digital high five then they can have at it.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

My only issue with Rift's F2P model is how restrictive they are on bags. You should not have to pay for half of your bag slots. If they want to lock 1 or I guess even 2 slots that is fine but limiting you to just 3 bag slots made it so when I played I felt I couldn't even bother with crafting because my bags were constantly full.

If you are going to make people pay for things it should be things that only someone who plays long term really wants, basically people who played enough that you feel they should give something back. The bag slots hit you hard even while just trying the game at early levels.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Illudo

nothing new here, like WoW does with buying collectors edition and so on

agree - in WOW, pay for collectors, get a "cash only" achievement

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    When i want to buy a mount to which i like, i buy that mount..But to waste money to see if you get this "Rare Mount" on a gamble..Sorry they can kiss my azz...I am fed up with games with this  type of tactic.... Here lets buy a dye which is white; To get it, you need to pay 10 dollars and pray that you get one when you open the package...Fk that!!

I retired retroactively..Haha