Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Creation Video

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Ender4

That if they provide a feature that 99 out of 100 are going to approve that it means the game is shallow because the rest of it stinks?

The point is that this is nothing but fluff. Almost every MMO released at this point offers an excessive amount of visual customization. This video should do absolutely nothing to get anyone excited about this game. It just makes me sad that people are like oh wow I have to buy this game because of this type of video.

You assume a lot.

Well, first I don't see character creation as fluff. Aesthetics are important to me "it's how I'm drawn". Secondly, you assume that just becuase there is a good character creation system that people won't look at other aspects of the game.

Third, you assume that other people have the same taste as you in "what matters".

What the video should do and seems to have done is get people excited for the character creation.

edit: I think maybe you are angry because you have issues with the game and the idea of seeing people excited over one aspect of it, especially one you don't value, sort of grinds your gears and on the surface ignores the things you think this (or other) games should have.

I can understand being disappointed  with aspects of this game. There are several that I'm disappointed about and I have some reluctance that they will be able to pull off the "head out into the unknown and discover" aspect that is part of my Elder Scrolls experience.

Still, I'm going to take the game "as is" and try to find the value in what they have done. If it's good then "great" I've found a home. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a lot on the horizon.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

That if they provide a feature that 99 out of 100 are going to approve that it means the game is shallow because the rest of it stinks?

The point is that this is nothing but fluff. Almost every MMO released at this point offers an excessive amount of visual customization. This video should do absolutely nothing to get anyone excited about this game. It just makes me sad that people are like oh wow I have to buy this game because of this type of video.

Yeah sorry about that, I forgot that enthusiasm is considered taboo in this community.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Do you seriously believe that anyone other than yourself are so shallow that they have such simplistic expectations or standards

yes I do. It has been proven time and time again that this is the case. I can't go 3 threads on this site without someone saying the graphics were too cartoony so I refused to play the game. Tons of these free to play games make their money by selling skins and fluff upgrades because players are willing to throw cash away to get things that ultimately don't matter to game play. Year after year we get sub standard products that sell just because of the graphics they put out. A resounding yes that I believe this and I have more than ample proof that it is the case.

File this under 'if they don't enjoy a game for the exact same reasons I do, they are wrong'. Jeeze. You do realize that someone could enjoy customizing a character and also enjoy playing a fun game too, that the two are not mutually exclusive. I like games that are fun, and I like games with nice character graphics. What is wrong about that? And no, I don't enjoy cartoony graphics as much.

This idea that gameplay is the only thing that could or should matter to a player is stupid. Yes its very important - necessary even - but that doesn't mean nothing else matters.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Off-topic:  It's a shame that anything posted with genuine enthusiasm is met with belligerent and condescending comments about anything and everything not to their liking. It's why I don't visit here all the time. image

On-topic:  It looks very nice. I do enjoy character creation as it is my avatar and it will carry me through the time i spend there. My concerns for the rest of the game aren't what this thread is about so it does not belong here. I like what I see so far. 

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

Who cares about every MMO released. WoW, Wildstar or even SWTOR doesn't even have ESO's type of customization options. So which MMO's are you actually talking about? Most MMO's today don't go this far. Also, ESO is following it's tradition of customization which is a plus for it's fans and players that actually care about how their avatar looks. 

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

HOLE E CRAP.  That was impressive.  This is the game I'm most looking forward to.  Can't wait to give it a shot!

Really? I guess people's expectations are pretty low - to me looks like a 7 year old character creator.

There are more options there, but I like the way ESO looks better.

Honestly, I've always felt having too many options in character creation is a hassle more than anything else. Do I really need a whole section of sliders just to customize the length and width of a character's eyelashes? I sure as heck don't think so.

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by UWNVME

HOLE E CRAP.  That was impressive.  This is the game I'm most looking forward to.  Can't wait to give it a shot!

Really? I guess people's expectations are pretty low - to me looks like a 7 year old character creator.

Honestly, I've always felt having too many options in character creation is a hassle more than anything else. Do I really need a whole section of sliders just to customize the length and width of a character's eyelashes? I sure as heck don't think so.

Some people like the idea of making a unique character. I won't say much about what I've seen, but there are more options for character customization than what you see in the video. How often will players notice the differences while playing the game?  You'll find out when it's in full effect.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

This is an Elder Scrolls game, of course people are interested and excited about a character customization video.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I've never seen a game that had extensive character customization that didn't also include a variety of "stock" faces.

It really is a non-issue for players who don't want to tweak.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • yllisyllis Member UncommonPosts: 72
    That was a parade of ugly ugly characters with a side of ugg added. I Hope when they finish the game the characters don't look like that.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by yllis
    That was a parade of ugly ugly characters with a side of ugg added. I Hope when they finish the game the characters don't look like that.

I hope they continue on the current path and ignore that kind of feedback.

There Is Always Hope!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by keithian

I hope they don't listen to the "everything's fine crew"  they are the people killing mmo's today. As for the character creation, i didn't think it was bad at all.

I play a Khajiit in all my TES games but i think the Khajiits in TESO need more fine tuning. I like my Khajiit characters to look more alien rather than some of the Kerra out of EQ2.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't want to play a pretty and colorful ES game, it doesn't fit and i like this style the best anyways.

this is why i am no longer looking forward to EQN anywhere near as much as this game.

to each their own.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by keithian Originally posted by yllis That was a parade of ugly ugly characters with a side of ugg added. I Hope when they finish the game the characters don't look like that.
    I hope they don't listen to the "everything's fine crew"  they are the people killing mmo's today. As for the character creation, i didn't think it was bad at all.

I play a Khajiit in all my TES games but i think the Khajiits in TESO need more fine tuning. I like my Khajiit characters to look more alien rather than some of the Kerra out of EQ2.

as opposed to the "everything sucks because the game wasn't made just for me crew"?

i think they have shown they do listen to feedback considering they have changed things based on that feedback.

however, it still might not necessarily be things that you, me, or other people personally want in the game.

as far as the models go, i also hope they get fine tuned before launch. but for my taste they are easily the best models i have seen in mmo development right now.

if you like dark and gritty graphics in your mmo's, this is it right here......at least IMO

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I've never seen a game that had extensive character customization that didn't also include a variety of "stock" faces.

It really is a non-issue for players who don't want to tweak.

Im with Sovrath...

I spend atleast an hour creating the look I want for my character and then the naming process takes just as long. Its an important part of the game for me and its how I take stock & pride in my character.

Seeing how the PvE content will inevitably come to an end the big factor for me will be meaningful PvP *crosses fingers*

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

I'm a Khajiit fan too, and I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They look the same as they do in Oblivion and Skyrim. Maybe not as much as in Skyrim, but that was because every race in Skyrim was more rugged-looking to fit the game's atmosphere.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125

Ok so a game has good graphic and character customization then someone get pissed off with it.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Looks very good so far... needs more hairstyles though!

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Looks very good so far... needs more hairstyles though!

^ this... hairstyles are always in demand

gameplay > graphics

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I agree, they listen to the wrong people in beta.

SWTOR beta that's the only people they listened to, and we see how that one turned out. If you mentioned the lifeless worlds, the lifeless cities, anything that wasn't praising them, you were ignored, ridiculed by Bioware loyal fans, or your posts were removed.

Ignoring testers that have legitimate problems with the game is bad.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Each to their own, I found the ESO character creation far more impressive. Also what is up with the reflective hair in Korean MMOs? Its creepy. It looks like you put your head in a tub of vasoline.

Also glad that ESO didn't have any stupid options, the ranges for sliders and the colours available were all reasonable and wouldn't result in abominations like in Aion.

This video actually rekindled my interest to give this game a shot. My expectations still aren't massively high, but I do like a well designed character model.