Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downleveling

This is another one of these games that needs down leveling or mentoring for older zones...

There is so much stories to be told and there is even a reason to go back to these older zones ( deeds and virtues) hell there are even open world dungeons like Garth Agarwen to be explored... If you look at the current player community they are allmost all lore addicts in it for the stories, ...  making older content attractive and challenging again would only bennefit these players...

So why not add a system like GW2 or EQ2 that does exactly this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I would be all over that.

I'm nearly max level but there is so much i have not seen in the game.

Would love to go back over it and advance with something like the AA system in EQ

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by sethman75

I would be all over that.

I'm nearly max level but there is so much i have not seen in the game.

Would love to go back over it and advance with something like the AA system in EQ

An AA system would suit any game in my opinion..

But the current trait and deeds system for Lotro gives almost as much reason to travel back to older areas.... and like we both said, in these aging MMo's there is so much stories and lore to be found...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    I actually have my main account and made a f2p account, I duel box (never really checked to see their rules on it).  It's a great way to take my main and helping my lower level f2p toons level it also helps my main complete deeds.  
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

GW2's system is awful,if they were going to add this to a game it should be something the player controls, not something that kicks in automatically.

Why not just level a new character? If you see the entire world with a single character the game failed imo. I mean it is better to fail that way than be so linear that you almost have to see the whole world like some games do it.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

You can lock your level for 6 bucks per character (even if you are subbed), but no downleveling.  Something turbine should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for charging subbers for, especially per character.  

Why the EQ2 system of mentoring/chronomentoring hasnt become the standard is beyond me.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by syriinx

You can lock your level for 6 bucks per character (even if you are subbed), but no downleveling.  Something turbine should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for charging subbers for, especially per character.  

Why the EQ2 system of mentoring/chronomentoring hasnt become the standard is beyond me.

It's only 495 (around or less than 5 bucks, depending on the package you pick). I think it's only minor shame, what could be a much better fit for the "absolutely ashamed of themselves" you wrote is when they've boosted the xp gain twice before the Stone, thus making artificially increased demand for it... of course it's just a game so there are no regulations governing the market inside of it.

On topic: it's actually irrelevant to me, as an altoholic I usually have 1-2 alts in every level range most of the times... But I support options, so I wouldn't mind it, until it's not forced, like in that other game... (options, options all the way :) ) It'd look lame in LotRO, forcing someone who helped with Mordirith, the Witcher, at Orthanc, etc. fighting with the fauna all the time when s/he is visiting back to the Shire for some festival fun: "look, it's Brandywine, we're almost home! Strange, somehow I feel the presense of an an evil magic, weakening me, I seem to forgot all my powers and abilities... damn you, Sauron" :)

So, even if I would rarely use it, I admit CoH's exemplar system would fit nicely into the world, being an exemplar to other heroes isn't something uncommon in LoTR.. Sidenote, Why the EQ2 system of mentoring/chronomentoring hasnt become the standard - because CoH was better, maybe? :) true, that didn't became standard either.

And of course it'd be easy to implement, since the system's counterpart (the sidekick / lackey system) is already in game, they've said with HD and Big Battles those who aren't capped, will be "boosted" to 95. I believe it wouldn't be hard to scale this boost to a mentor's level and not simply to the cap...

(from 20 questions on Big Battes: "The Battle for Helm’s Deep utilizes a new feature called Character Upscaling. When you join an instance in the Battle for Helm’s Deep we scale your character’s stats and skills to level 95. Your equipment is scaled as well, with the level differential between you and the equipment being maintained through the upscaling.")

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by syriinx

It's only 495 (around or less than 5 bucks, depending on the package you pick). I think it's only minor shame, what could be a much better fit for the "absolutely ashamed of themselves" you wrote is when they've boosted the xp gain twice before the Stone, thus making artificially increased demand for it... of course it's just a game so there are no regulations governing the market inside of it.

On topic: it's actually irrelevant to me, as an altoholic I usually have 1-2 alts in every level range most of the times... But I support options, so I wouldn't mind it, until it's not forced, like in that other game... (options, options all the way :) ) It'd look lame in LotRO, forcing someone who helped with Mordirith, the Witcher, at Orthanc, etc. fighting with the fauna all the time when s/he is visiting back to the Shire for some festival fun: "look, it's Brandywine, we're almost home! Strange, somehow I feel the presense of an an evil magic, weakening me, I seem to forgot all my powers and abilities... damn you, Sauron" :)

So, even if I would rarely use it, I admit CoH's exemplar system would fit nicely into the world, being an exemplar to other heroes isn't something uncommon in LoTR.. Sidenote, Why the EQ2 system of mentoring/chronomentoring hasnt become the standard - because CoH was better, maybe? :) true, that didn't became standard either.

And of course it'd be easy to implement, since the system's counterpart (the sidekick / lackey system) is already in game, they've said with HD and Big Battles those who aren't capped, will be "boosted" to 95. I believe it wouldn't be hard to scale this boost to a mentor's level and not simply to the cap...

(from 20 questions on Big Battes: "The Battle for Helm’s Deep utilizes a new feature called Character Upscaling. When you join an instance in the Battle for Helm’s Deep we scale your character’s stats and skills to level 95. Your equipment is scaled as well, with the level differential between you and the equipment being maintained through the upscaling.")

His point is valid tough... scaling down should be added.. 

Everytime my guildies want to help me out in nonscaling content, we cant find enough alts at the right level and some higher level people join and trivialise the content... gone is all challenge and a lot of the fun...

GA is never visited anymore for this reason... and the Tomb of Elendil quest remains mostly hidden secret under the water..  thats fun content.   And we are missing out on that.

People need to understand that locking XP is a totally different thing then up or downscaling... personally i am not a big fan of upscaling because in a game like lotro that does not go well with the slowly building story components, but downscaling would be awesome... locking XP is not a group thing, but more of a solo thing, its best when i am outleveling content that i dont want to miss on...   Upscaling in general works only good for PvP... giving everyone equall foot to start with.

if they added downscaling, i am sure my kinsmen would be delighted, and not only they..   however when Turbine adds such a thing, i am almost certain it will come at a realmoney price.. and probably a consumable, because they can sell that a lot... in which case i highly doubt anyone will be happy with it at all

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Po_gg

His point is valid tough... scaling down should be added..

Sorry, maybe it's my english... I wrote the same. I wouldn't use it much, but it'd be nice to have it in game, until it's optional and not forced. The exemplar system in CoH was when a higher level player was "downleveled" and joined to a lower level player.

The sidekick system was the opposite, when a lowlevel one was "upgraded" to join with the highlevels for high level contents. And while I agree with your "personally i am not a big fan of upscaling", that's already in the game with HD.