Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep Thinkg I Would Not Like This Game But So Tempted To Try It, Help?

I originally made this thread and because of peoples replies, it made me not wanna buy this game. As I read through the threads I read about a dedicated group of haters of DF:UW so maybe some of those people were replying to me.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5984763#5984763

I have always wanted a fantasy mmo with gameplay like Skyrim and this game is the closest to that. ESO would be closer but it has all world pvp restricted to cyrodiil and you can't even see enemies when you are in enemy faction zones so I will probably never play ESO because of this.

I enjoy PVE but I prefer PVP, I am looking for huge 100+ battles, and lots of great exploration and huge cities to conquer and explore, does this game have all this?

I also prefer playing in a first person view yet 99% of gameplay videos I see are all 3rd person, does 3rd person view give more of an advantage or something? Like increased field of view.

I also hope the population is high and has at least 1000-5000 people online 24/7 on the NA server.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If it's one thing this site has it's a dedicated group of haters.

If you think you'll like it, best way to find out is play it. You'll never really know until you do.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It has some of the things you want and doesn't have some others.

Exploration/conquering cities: HELL YES! I love sieges in DFUW. I love the politics and personal history involved in different cities around the map. 

PVP: It's skill-based, which is awesome. It's basically the only free aim, skill-based mmorpg  that I can think of.

However, it has faults. There are NOT a ton of people playing. It's not going to be teeming with life. It's not as bad as people make out, but if you're looking for a super populated world, this isn't it. That's at least partly by design. If the world were crowded, you'd never be able to get anything done. Terrain matters. Sneaking up on enemies and ambushing them is an actual thing in this game. If it were just a mash of a bunch of people, that wouldn't be the case. It's more like how you'd expect "real life" to be. 

Also, as of a couple of months ago, it was somewhat buggy. The UI and mechanics takes some getting used to. I never minded that kind of thing in games, but you might.

It is definitely a really good game if it's your cup of tea. You should definitely at least try it. However, if you DO end up trying it, make sure you muscle through the first week or so because it's VERY hard to get into. It's a rough world to survive in so it may turn you off at first.

EDIT: Yes the community is awful. A lot of bitter Darkfall 1 vets who don't like the changes they've made to the game.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

It sounds like the game for you. I played at launch and for about 2 months after, The game was thrilling!

It had bugs and a few problems but the whole full loot pvp was just great.

I'm not sure what the game is like atm neither do I know what the population is.

The reason I stopped playing was just because I didn't have the time to play and be able to compete, People had more prowess in a week than I had in 2 months. Give it a shot if you like Skyrim combat.

P.S I highly recommend Macros, In fact they are a must.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Resist the urge! Macros are definitely not a must. I had never played DF1 but was still probably in roughly the 95th percentile of players in DFUW and I never used a single macro. There's just no need.
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Save your money. The combat is nothing like Skyrim, and the population is so bad that you see posts like this:

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?381978-Can-we-all-pick-a-continent

That's just one of many threads resulting from the low population. Many of the others get deleted by their moderators.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    DF is a collection of great ideas. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    DF is a collection of great ideas. 

Great ideas, but terrible realization.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Whats the point of spending the money to find soon out that the game fail ?

The vast majority of the players who waited for many years on DF and played DF1 and this abnormity called DF:UW stoped to play. the chances you will like it is minimal.

If you like FPS, play a excelent shoter.

If you like MMORPG's there are lots of good MMORPG's with many good features  this one is mediocre at best missing vital features.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Please point me in the direction of another giant seamless persistant world, with full loot pvp, and player city sieging that is on the market and better than Darkfall:UW today.

Otherwise, I will continue playing Darkfall and enjoying it.

Thanks.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Thought along the same lines as the op, bought it and regretted it.  Simply put its missing things.   It has potential but like so many games it falls short.
  • Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44
    Well how is the population? Would those of you have it agree that from 8pm-2 am Eastern time there would be about 1000-5000 online?
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Originally posted by Macrinus101
    Well how is the population? Would those of you have it agree that from 8pm-2 am Eastern time there would be about 1000-5000 online?

Feels much less than 1000. I don't have raw numbers so I can't give an exact estimate on population other than how it looks and feels to me (IMO). I can ride around and not see a single player.

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Thought along the same lines as the op, bought it and regretted it.  Simply put its missing things.   It has potential but like so many games it falls short.

Thanks, we will have to wait until 2016 for the next big open world sandbox full loot pvp mmo. Embers of Caerus will probably be a lot more successful than this game since it has a higher budget and was crowd funded, it will also probably be free to play.

I will probably not buy DK:UW though but still, playing this MMO as a Warrior with a first person view would really satisfy me. I still think I should try it but it might end up being a waste of money. I doubt I could convince anyone to let me use their account, there would be no risk anyway since you probably have all your account recovery options, I would not try to change anything anyway. I would just start a new character and play it.

Would anyone be willing to not play for 2 weeks and let me use their account?

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

shroud of the avatar is sand box open world pvp

45$ and no sub. alpha releasing end of the year.

• korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    Op, the game is $40, its nothing compared to buying a ps4 or even a new car. If your worried about wasting $40 on a game that sounds ECACTLY what you want then sorry you should stick to f2p.

Darkfall is an amazing game and I love playing it and have been since day 1. I highly recommend it to friends
    I have the money to buy it, I just don't like wasting money. It would be more than 40$ since I need to Sub so it would be 55$. I might buy it today. I like a MMO with good populations though and people say it does feel like there are less than 1000 in the game world at anyone time. Still, DF:UW game world is larger than most MMO's on the market so maybe there really is more people online, they are just spread throughout the world more. I really hope there at at least 700-2000 people online 24/7.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Noone else can tell you whether you will like this game or not, the only way to find out is to play it yourself.

While I was frustrated with the slow development progress since DFUW release, the return of Claus and the recent pvp patch gives me hope.

There is a freedom in this game that I have only ever experienced in UO. 

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Nobody can say for sure, but the prime time game population feels like 500 or less.  I resubbed (yes I'm a sucker) to try out the latest patch and I regret it. You rarely run into other players, and when you do, its a pack of overpowered duelists that will kill you in seconds. It's always the same pack of duelists though. They are from a clan that is frequently called out for hacking/cheating on the forums. I don't know how they find me all the time, it's like they can track me somehow.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Most fun I've had in an mmo since eq1. Trust me OP you do not want a ton of people running around when you are trying to get stuff done solo. The best mmo world I've found (vanguard is close but there are no chunk loading times in this game). Join a clan that's active and you will find things to do with them every night. I enjoy the slower pace of the crafting and gathering. There really is no other game out there like it.
  • korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    Its not $55 its $40. The first month is free
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

Ok if you don't want to spent $40 then you need 1 hour.  Check out all the Ripper X video he created.  Each video is 10 min long and there are 5 videos.

After 1 hour of watching, ask yourself a question.   Do I want to play a game like this.

http://dfuwtrial.blogspot.com/2013/10/darkfall-unhoy-wars-video-blog-by.html

I have put all 5 Darkfall videos in this page.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by korbzy
    Its not $55 its $40. The first month is free

Which is still way overpriced.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

Originally posted by MrBoots
    Nobody can say for sure, but the prime time game population feels like 500 or less.  I resubbed (yes I'm a sucker) to try out the latest patch and I regret it. You rarely run into other players, and when you do, its a pack of overpowered duelists that will kill you in seconds. It's always the same pack of duelists though. They are from a clan that is frequently called out for hacking/cheating on the forums. I don't know how they find me all the time, it's like they can track me somehow.
    They can and are.  (radar)

Well I was thinking of buying DF:UW today instead of Skyrim, I will get Skyrim during the Steam Christmas sale. Still, 300-500 online 24/7 in one of the largest game worlds in any mmo? That is not enough. Maybe some of you think there are not so many online because the world is so huge and people are spread out accross the world. Maybe there are really 1000-5000 people online 24/7.
    Originally posted by Macrinus101
    Well I was thinking of buying DF:UW today instead of Skyrim, I will get Skyrim during the Steam Christmas sale. Still, 300-500 online 24/7 in one of the largest game worlds in any mmo? That is not enough. Maybe some of you think there are not so many online because the world is so huge and people are spread out accross the world. Maybe there are really 1000-5000 people online 24/7.

http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

While Steam is only a sample of the entire player base it's clear the numbers have been dropping since release.

Your money would be much better spent on Skyrim, wait for a DFUW trial.

1000-5000 concurrent players?  I think not

I think 2000 total subs is more accurate guesstimate based on comments by AV employees.  I don't think even the most ardent fan would say DFUW has anywhere near 5000 logged into the same server, even 1000 would be pushing it.