Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for pirate or maritime MMO

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

To go through what I've played so far:

• PotBS - turned into something I don't care for.
  • Uncharted Waters Online - felt sluggish to me and didn't care for the UI
  • Puzzle Pirates - pirate themed and liked it but looking more for a 3D experience
  • PotC - I genuinely thought it was crap.
  • Tale of Pirates - liked my turtle boat and the cute graphics, didn't like just grinding levels
  • Voyage Century - seems to get pricey the more you want to get into it

Looking for:

• owning a ship (or several)
  • crafting of ships, gear, etc
  • PvE preferred, but PvP is okay, too

Game doesn't even have to have ships/sailing as the main focus, just have it accessible by mid-level or lower.

What MMOs are out there that match or sort of match what I'm looking for?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Florensia

Pirates of the Caribbean Online

Captains of DarkTide

I haven't played any of these but managed to come across those. Good luck!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I know you can craft ships in wurm online.

Vanguard had ship building at some point. Anything I know about it though is years out of date.

You've tried most of the major ones, that I know of.

• MaRTiDoReMaRTiDoRe Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Pirates of the caribbean online has officially closed.

Videogame Developer - www.martidore.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MaRTiDoRe
    Pirates of the caribbean online has officially closed.

...because it was a piece of crap. ;)

Damon, I think I'm going to revisit Vanguard. I haven't tried the boat building or sailing there yet. Thanks!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    No crafting, but Pirate 101 is still the best pirate themed MMO out there.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

if you have some extra SC lying around you can purchase one of the basic ships in the store.

that is if you are not morally opposed to such a thing.

otherwise, building a ship in Vanguard seems to be a pretty cool and intense community experience, so immediately join an active guild, there are a few believe it or not. last i heard Twilyghte Songe (sp?) was still fairly active.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

just another thought. i remember being told that DF1 had ships. if DF:UW also has them you could actually be a pirate in that the game is FFA PvP with full loot.

i am not a fan of that playstyle, nor have i ever played DF in any version, aside from a quick trial that was unplayable on my machine back in the day.

however, you could conceivably build your own ship and then raid costal towns or villages or even keeps i would imagine.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Aspekx, good point about the guild thing, and thanks for the suggestion. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

My tip

Assasins Creed 4

Not an MMO but it seem to have some of the nicest ship action in a long time, and it might have a sea battle multiplayer part.

Beyond that i think you are SoL.

This have been a good conversation

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Uncharted Waters Online. It think its on steam also.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

As mentioned Darkfall: UW has ships. No idea about the details though it was a few months they upgraded it with more ships.

Archeage has ships again no idea bout the details.

• SyncopatixSyncopatix Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I know its not pirate themed (or even out yet), but you did say Maritime MMO.. so i'd throw  World of Warships into the ring.  

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the evening.
    Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    It's still in beta I think,  as far as a western release goes, but ArcheAge has ships and even a pirate or lawless faction you get put into after enough piracy or murders or something like that. If old single player games are an option then there was a game published by Bethesda/Zenimax for the Xbox called Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie tie in was just slapped on and the game is the usual Bethesda tier of bug ridden mess but the sailing and ship combat bits were just awesome.
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    It's still in beta I think,  as far as a western release goes, but ArcheAge has ships and even a pirate or lawless faction you get put into after enough piracy or murders or something like that. If old single player games are an option then there was a game published by Bethesda/Zenimax for the Xbox called Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie tie in was just slapped on and the game is the usual Bethesda tier of bug ridden mess but the sailing and ship combat bits were just awesome.

On the XBox I used to play The Legend of Black Kat. It had a multiplayer ship battle game I enjoyed playing with friends. If I could find something like that for PS3 or PC, that would be great. Free Realms has a cool ship battle game, which is really fun against other players but you end up mostly playing against NPCs.

Will keep an eye on ArcheAge.   Thanks!