Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to AOC!

2»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Because what the people you're killing look like is infinitely more important than whether or not the game and PvP is fun.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by Amegashie
    Let's say I start a new character and want to earn AA points, what do I need to buy ? A subscription, the expansion, both ? People in game couldn't answer and with my FunCom account dating back to the release of Anarchy Online as well as having pre-ordered Age of Conan I can't post on the AoC forums. Yay for customer bonding.

AA is earned from lvl 20 and upwards in general, but to have access to that part, you need "Rise of the godslayer" expansion. Subscription is not needed to earn by playing, at least once you hit lvl 80, a "over time" mode becomes availible, and this you need subscription to use, but its only useable on lvl 80. "Over time" mode is 1 point for each 18 hours passed real time.

I must say I have not tried to use AA points in F2P mode yet, but if you earn some points in F2P mode (with expansion installed) try to use them then.

EDIT: Thanks Po_gg for the corrections below! I had forgotten about the changes as you lvl up and get a point, but I must admit that the part about not needing the expansion anymore has passed me by. Then you just need a subscription to earn, but to fully use the system and earn points fastest, expansion is recomended.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Destiny2010
    Let's say I start a new character and want to earn AA points, what do I need to buy ? A subscription, the expansion, both ? People in game couldn't answer and with my FunCom account dating back to the release of Anarchy Online as well as having pre-ordered Age of Conan I can't post on the AoC forums. Yay for customer bonding.

AA is earned from lvl 20 and upwards in general, but to have access to that part, you need "Rise of the godslayer" expansion. Subscription is not needed to earn by playing, at least once you hit lvl 80, a "over time" mode becomes availible, and this you need subscription to use, but its only useable on lvl 80. "Over time" mode is 1 point for each 18 hours passed real time.

I must say I have not tried to use AA points in F2P mode yet, but if you earn some points in F2P mode (with expansion installed) try to use them then.

A slight change since the anniversary, if you're a subscriber you receive 1 AA point with every level-up, so by the time you reach lvl80 you'll have 80 AA points to start with. It's regardless of the RotG, only need a subscription.

The rest is the same as it was before the anniversary, without Godslayer you can't use the AA system (so if you are subbed, at 80 you have the 80 points but you can't spend them). And if you buy RotG and then leave subscription, the AA system will be unavailable to you just as Khitai (beyond the Wall). Your unlocked AA perks are staying unlocked, but you can't slot them onto the bar.

In short, if you want AA, you have to buy RotG, and have to maintain subscription.

Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Ryguy786

Anyone else coming back for the summer?

*snip*

"It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up...."

Do you actually work for the Osslo located company or are you being serious?  I played Dark Age of Camelot - a game where we got to fight people different than us.  So no CImmerian, Aquilonian, Stygian killing Aquilonian, Stygian, CImmerian guild groups.

Variety is something this game sorely needs.  But it has been dying since day 1 when they ignored pages of requests from the old Dark Age fans to make this a real pvp mmorpg and not a European version of Guild Wars.

GOod luck though - this game had a lot of potential for RvR type pvp.  If you don't know what that is then no worries.  It won't matter.

Well, seems someones sore. Let`s see if I can help with some facts here.

About the group thing, in the early days, there actually was a culture server, where it was culture vs culture, but due to problems with classes (as not all cultures had access to all classes according to lore) it became a problem, and was shut down during the first merge.

This is a low fantasy game based on a low fantasy world. And no, not everyone want to fight elfs and dwarfs either. It`s not how it was in the dark ages IRL.

What`s funny is this: No matter how much many pvp players seem to throw hate at FC, there are many that still play the game, since they just can`t find anything better in the area...(yeah you read right!) So they hang on hoping for better times. And it is alot of pvp even now, and 2 years ago it had even more.

As of the image of AoC as a mainly pvp game, you should read up on some news, as many of those goals has been dead for a few years..even officially! (I think several died already when first GD left the company and industry in 2008, article in other topic here actually!)

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    how's this game compared to Rift? which one is more fun in the pvp dept
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Ryguy786

Anyone else coming back for the summer?

I've spent the last 2 years trying ALL the games (gw2, swtor, DFUW, etc...) - looking for fun. and to be honest....the hardcore server on AOC was the most fun I had in a game for a long time. It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up. It was the first game in a long time that gave me world pvp as I leveled and kept me very distracted at all sorts of levels.

I remember I had a lot of RL stuff going on - and I just ended up suddenly being forced to quit the game - and it just kinda fell on a back burner in my mind.

Now that I've re-installed it through steam, I remember why I played this game in the first place.

So, if you are someone like me, coming back, hit me up as "Vlakmir" or "Alukar" on deathwish, or even PM me here and I'd be happy to start new characters or just generally play together.(Seeing I am starting an internship in a few weeks, I will probably become pretty casual for about 8 weeks in the summer, but other than that, will be play loads)

"It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up...."

Do you actually work for the Osslo located company or are you being serious?  I played Dark Age of Camelot - a game where we got to fight people different than us.  So no CImmerian, Aquilonian, Stygian killing Aquilonian, Stygian, CImmerian guild groups.

Actually, at release, the PVP while levelling was great. It's once the first groups of PVP guilds hit 80 that the rest of the PVPers were faced with two options - grind their asses off or get owned. Level-based systems seem to work okay for PvE but they rarely prove to be anything but flawed in PVP. Understandable, as PvP requires a certain level of even playing field and levels are the opposite of that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Tried the game a few weeks ago and its just not for me. Don't like the combat and I cant do linear quest mmos.

Kinda my experience with the game also....I found Tortage very boring, which was supposed to be the strength of the game so I left before even finishing that area....AO was the only decent Funcom game I played...AoC and TSW were both garbage.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Tried the game a few weeks ago and its just not for me. Don't like the combat and I cant do linear quest mmos.

Kinda my experience with the game also....I found Tortage very boring, which was supposed to be the strength of the game so I left before even finishing that area....AO was the only decent Funcom game I played...AoC and TSW were both garbage.

Actually, that was their strength in 2008, but in 2013 they have alot better areas imo. Tortage is the most outdated area as the zones are smallest there and most loading screens therefore. Only good thing is the full VOs, and some like that alot of course.

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Been back a week with wifey and having a blast. Still a good looking game with decent combat and some good music.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Destiny2010

A slight change since the anniversary, if you're a subscriber you receive 1 AA point with every level-up, so by the time you reach lvl80 you'll have 80 AA points to start with. It's regardless of the RotG, only need a subscription.

The rest is the same as it was before the anniversary, without Godslayer you can't use the AA system (so if you are subbed, at 80 you have the 80 points but you can't spend them). And if you buy RotG and then leave subscription, the AA system will be unavailable to you just as Khitai (beyond the Wall). Your unlocked AA perks are staying unlocked, but you can't slot them onto the bar.

In short, if you want AA, you have to buy RotG, and have to maintain subscription.

Thanks for the clarification.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Welcome back y'all.. Let the heads roll..

The Ultimate Breakdown

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I'll return when crafting gets redone
  • DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Crafting revamp is just around the corner now. Most of the obstackles for that update are now cleared out of the way. My best guess is that we will get it before christmas. So jusmp in, get a head start.

The Ultimate Breakdown