Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam: Path of Exile

rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
Looks like they put PoE on the front store page of Steam in a big banner.  Good to see they got their game up there.  I wonder how many new players this will bring now that they have a well advertised release.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    PoE on steam is a great move. Their launcher was horrible. Much easier to install through steam. Also a lot more people will hear about the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    PoE on steam is a great move. Their launcher was horrible. Much easier to install through steam. Also a lot more people will hear about the game.

Agree the launcher was always bugged for me, steam went through without a hitch. 

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Agreed, I'm glad to see that the release of PoE on Steam went so smoothly and that it was released on Steam after all.

Never had an issue with the POE launcher, but new players are always good.

• ArmagedonaArmagedona Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Yea well if it wasn't for steam i would have neglected the advert on mmorpg.com and never would have tried the game :P
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by catlana

Agreed, I'm glad to see that the release of PoE on Steam went so smoothly and that it was released on Steam after all.

I played the game during open beta and the launcher worked. But it was incredibly slow to download (aka not used my full download speed) and found it buggy. Yesterday it probably took me lke 5 min to download and install the game which was brilliant. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Chris Wilson (Lead Dev) said on reddit that as well as steam showing 17k users (iirc) there were another 26-27k using the non-steam launcher. (At that specific point in time)

So overall it's doing pretty good.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Mine linked up with steam fine, always worried when an existing game moves to steam~.

We'll have to see after the first big patch if it updates faster. PoE's update servers have always been erratic. I think they get overloaded pretty easily but are pretty fast when not overloaded.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Ender4

Mine linked up with steam fine, always worried when an existing game moves to steam~.

We'll have to see after the first big patch if it updates faster. PoE's update servers have always been erratic. I think they get overloaded pretty easily but are pretty fast when not overloaded.

I might have to try to link Steam with my install of PoE too.  Steam just makes things so convenient.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Just so people know, the client is only 2.7GB and not the suggested 5GB that Steam says it is on their system req. for the game.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I was interested in how this game turned out, but I never followed its development history.  I knew about it from people mentioning it, but again, I never followed up.  That was a long time ago, and because of Steam, it reminded me with a damn huge banner as soon as you login.

So... Diablo 2 clone?  Free?  Outstanding customization?

Can't hurt to try.  I was an immense fan of Diablo 1 & 2 back in the day.

Edit to add:  I like what I see so far, but currently only having a Lv6 Witch.  However, I can't get far at all with the many BSODs this game causes.  Changing zones, general fighting and adventuring, it seems very random when I get the BSODs.  One simply does not play POE without constant BSODs.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Downloads and updates so much better in Steam for me personally and it has achievements which I was super happy to see. Glad it is getting the attention it deserves.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by catlana

Only issues I ever had with it was that it would occasionally stay on "allocating space" for a very long time, even if there wasn't a patch.