Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous?

LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
I've been longing for a EVE-like MMO. A sandbox space game like EVE, but where your own skills controlling the ship matters. A game where the players control the economy etc. Which one of these two games should I hope for? And what sets them apart from each other, and from EVE?

Comments

• PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52

Check out this FAQ it explains the differences of all three games.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    SC nor Elite are MMOs
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

Both SC and Elite are MMO.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

SC seems much more like a breathing universe. Love what Chris Roberts and his team is doing so far. Not only will you have space combat, but also ground combat and you can have explorer as a profession or miner, salvager bounty hunter, merc, pirate, traider, smuggler or even own a factory.

Not sure if Elite does offer all of this aswell.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    I want the one that is more sandboxish. The one where you interact more with other players. That has a seamless universe. I read that SC will have solo content. That's cool for those that wanna go solo. But how is SCs universe with other players in it? Instanced with ~100 players at most, and how is Elite in that compartment? SC does seem to have the graphics going for it, although not much have been revealed for Elite.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Star Citizen all the way

Elite is more of a single player game, the multiplayer is peer-to-peer lobby gaming with 24 players max.

X rebirth is waaay more feature rich as a single player game.

also a weird "grouping" system in ED which is totally fail in my opinion as you can filter out players

ED is NPC controlled, nothing really player driven going on.

No planet landings in initial release, no avatar gameplay

SC is a lot more player conflict driven and feature rich

Originally posted by DocBrody

Star Citizen all the way

Elite is more of a single player game, the multiplayer is peer-to-peer lobby gaming with 24 players max.

You're wrong,

Elite is both Multiplayer and Singleplayer and there are no lobbies in Elite and last time I checked the amount of players per instance during close visual range combat will be at least 32 excluding NPCs

X rebirth is waaay more feature rich as a single player game.

X Rebirth is a different kind of game with the focus on empire building, the Space Simulation and NPC Simulation of Elite is much more detailed and realistic.

also a weird "grouping" system in ED which is totally fail in my opinion as you can filter out players

You can't just filter out every player, there are Excepeptions

• If a person earns a bounty their ignore list and friend preferences won’t affect matchmaking, and bounty hunters will still be able to encounter the player, even if the bounty hunter is on the player’s ignore list
    • If a player is in a session with another player on their ignore list they will still receive messages relating to that players in game actions and pre-canned dialogue, such as declarations of piracy
    • If a player follows another player’s hyperspace trail, the ignore rules cannot be applied to them. The players will join their next session as a group

Also you will have to be at least in the All-Group if you want to get all the perks and get mentioned in the news when you do something significant.

ED is NPC controlled, nothing really player driven going on.

No planet landings in initial release, no avatar gameplay

SC is a lot more player conflict driven and feature rich

Star Citizen's Persistent Universe is planned to be released early 2015 if all goes well, at which point Elite: Dangerous will have the Seamless Atmospheric flight on Planets with Cities and Wildlife.

Also Elite's early 2014 release has a Persistent Universe from the get go.

Last time I checked only 10% of the population of Star Citizen will be players, the other 90% will be filled by NPC's so no Star Citizen isn't that player driven.

In Star Citizen you won't do much actual flying in between the planets, since most of the time is spent in autopilot and cut-scenes, it will have cut-scene landings and no Freeform Atmospheric or Freeform interplanetary flight, also Planets and Star Systems won't have Real Distances and Size they will only have an average of 2 planets each and won't have Gravity, Orbits and Rotatations like in Elite: Dangerous.

Elite : Dangerous also has detailed Ship Management and Sensors and Targeting  and Ship Damage, and Ratings and Reputations and Persistent NPC's, and  Criminality  and Contacts  and Faction System with Dynamic Society, Economy, Events and Stories and Beam Lasers And much more here, so there goes your argument of feature rich.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Elite isn't instanced. That's the whole schtik of the series, absolutely massive seamless universe.

I will probably play both, but I will be playing elite first as I reckon sc will be delayed with all the feature creep.

They are both very different games though, elite dangerous is a sandbox like elite, eve, x & privateer

Sc is more of a hybrid game like freelancer with strong elements from space battle games like freespace and wing commander.
    It's a tough call. I prolly kick in some bucks in both games then. But I guess S.C will be the better looking game. At least when I compare the footage that is out there. Then we also have EVE Valkarie. Seems to be good times ahead for space games. : P
    Well there's a strong possibility valkarie will be a console exclusive.
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Well there's a strong possibility valkarie will be a console exclusive.

They can't be that stupid again...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by PumaClipper
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

yes if you count Diablo 3 with AH as mmo

for me SC & Elite are SP + co-op games not mmo's...seems many players have no idea what is MMO in real.

Why are SP games on mmo's list here? something is wrong for sure.

No they aren't like diablo 3. I agree d3 is not a mmo.

Both sc and e:d can be played in 3 modes
    1 as solo game
    2 on own servers, much like minecraft
    3 on the devs persistent servers - AS A MMO

Other games are taking this play it solo, play it with friends or play it as a mmo approach such as starbound
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    I've been longing for a EVE-like MMO. A sandbox space game like EVE, but where your own skills controlling the ship matters. A game where the players control the economy etc. Which one of these two games should I hope for? And what sets them apart from each other, and from EVE?

I saw the pre-order for miner wars on gamersgate if you want to add another one into the mix.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by PumaClipper
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

Star Citizen is a Space Sim.

So is eve
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally, I feel Eve is quite lack luster as far as a space game goes. If anything i consider it more of a 'economy' game focusing on that 'make cash get rich' deal with little as far as a real immersive space experience goes. The ship is just a tiny part of the world, its the characters... the 'inside the ship' portions. I'd say if anything i really look for a game in a way that is somewhat like mass effect, having emphasis on characters just with added elements of controlling the ship directly with more of a 'skill based' system upon the ship. Sure, piloting is a big part, but also what your character does outside the ship that really shines.

For me, I just hope that whether its Star Citizen or Elite, they work to capture this element and really merge us into a world that goes beyond just the ship, focusing on the world itself. Eve's world is so lack luster and flat having pretty much blackness being its backdrop. Exploring inside the ships and really placing us inside the world I feel can make a very powerful Space MMO. It helps to create such a large scope when your wandering inside a giant spacship that you respect just what you might be controlling once your outside piloting it.

• PeciskPecisk Member Posts: 19
    It's a tough call. I prolly kick in some bucks in both games then. But I guess S.C will be the better looking game. At least when I compare the footage that is out there. Then we also have EVE Valkarie. Seems to be good times ahead for space games. : P

I think "better looking" is purerly subjective here. ED primary goal is to have high quality graphics to support game play, not other way around (just high fidelty graphics for it's own sake). However in my opinion is that enviroment in ED will simply look more "alive", as procedural generation allow you do more dynamic content, like forming and moving clouds on planets, rotating them and moving them in their orbits. You aren't restricted to handcrafted scenarios, all dynamic and handcrafted stuff (which ED will still have a lot, sometimes they just will be bits and pieces which will be combined together with generated content) can come together to create beautiful vistas without special special attention from artist.

There's lot of sceptics out there including lot of in SC community about PG. It's understandable, because there's not much game developers out there who know how to utilise it properly.  However it's prominence has raised trough popularity of Minecraft and other PG games. Also EverQuest Next, followup of MMORPG series will use PG to create game world.  So it remains to be seen. ED sure will be game to check out at least for huge scale and PG generated vistas, which sometimes can be really beautiful :) I know I will play ED because of unique and very detailed gameplay for any activity I choose to engange with.

Originally posted by Pecisk

I think "better looking" is purerly subjective here. ED primary goal is to have high quality graphics to support game play, not other way around (just high fidelty graphics for it's own sake). However in my opinion is that enviroment in ED will simply look more "alive", as procedural generation allow you do more dynamic content, like forming and moving clouds on planets, rotating them and moving them in their orbits. You aren't restricted to handcrafted scenarios, all dynamic and handcrafted stuff (which ED will still have a lot, sometimes they just will be bits and pieces which will be combined together with generated content) can come together to create beautiful vistas without special special attention from artist.

There's lot of sceptics out there including lot of in SC community about PG. It's understandable, because there's not much game developers out there who know how to utilise it properly.  However it's prominence has raised trough popularity of Minecraft and other PG games. Also EverQuest Next, followup of MMORPG series will use PG to create game world.  So it remains to be seen. ED sure will be game to check out at least for huge scale and PG generated vistas, which sometimes can be really beautiful :) I know I will play ED because of unique and very detailed gameplay for any activity I choose to engange with.

Sounds nice. What engine are they using for ED? I know it is Cry Engine 3 for SC. Also, PG? Player generated?

• PeciskPecisk Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Pecisk

Sounds nice. What engine are they using for ED? I know it is Cry Engine 3 for SC. Also, PG? Player generated?

PG stands for Procedural Generation, check out this video (author of ED David Braben speaks about it in 10 min presentation at TEDx Albertpolis) I linked in my previous post, that gives you general idea. Frontier Developments uses their own in-house engine Cobra, which has been used for all their games and is constantly upgraded and improved to support all new capabilities of latest video cards. For idea what Cobra engine is capable of check out this Zoo Tycoon demo, which is XBox One exclusive and is developed by Frontier Developments. You can read nice summary of how they do this game in this ED Wikia FAQ section here.

Edit: PG is also used by Space Engine http://en.spaceengine.org/

Elite uses a Custom engine

Pg is procedural generation, where the world increased from a seed and used various functions and randomness to make the world, rather than having everything be hand designed. It allows for bigger worlds as you don't need anything like the number of artists, its also used to increase replayabilty due to random layout.

Games that use it include.
    Original elite and frontier
    Privateer
    Many 4x games where you make a random map eg. Civ, homm, endless space
    Minecraft
    Terraria
    All roguelikes and roguelikelikes e.g. spelunky, eldritch, rogue legacy, wasteland kings

lots of games in development like elite dangerous, starbound, starforge, sir you are being hunted, the stalker MMO

Originally posted by Purutzil

Personally, I feel Eve is quite lack luster as far as a space game goes. If anything i consider it more of a 'economy' game focusing on that 'make cash get rich' deal with little as far as a real immersive space experience goes. The ship is just a tiny part of the world, its the characters... the 'inside the ship' portions. I'd say if anything i really look for a game in a way that is somewhat like mass effect, having emphasis on characters just with added elements of controlling the ship directly with more of a 'skill based' system upon the ship. Sure, piloting is a big part, but also what your character does outside the ship that really shines.

For me, I just hope that whether its Star Citizen or Elite, they work to capture this element and really merge us into a world that goes beyond just the ship, focusing on the world itself. Eve's world is so lack luster and flat having pretty much blackness being its backdrop. Exploring inside the ships and really placing us inside the world I feel can make a very powerful Space MMO. It helps to create such a large scope when your wandering inside a giant spacship that you respect just what you might be controlling once your outside piloting it.

you'll be wanting Star Citizen then

Elite Dangerous will be more like EVE where you fly the ship yourself, with a bit less emphasis on economy and more emphasis on combat.

Originally posted by goldtoof
    Originally posted by Purutzil

you'll be wanting Star Citizen then

Elite Dangerous will be more like EVE where you fly the ship yourself, with a bit less emphasis on economy and more emphasis on combat.

Nope,

Eve is point & click flight from 3rd person perspective with roll & dice combat.

Elite: Dangerous is from 1st person perspective with direct controls and your own skills.

There is lots of emphasis on Economy in Elite.

I decided to put in 100£ for E.D. I think E.D needs the cash even more. S.C is already a huge succees. But the more I find out bout E.D, the more I think it's the game for me. Will prolly put in some to S.C as well, but for now I went with E.D.
  • MarcusAureliusMarcusAurelius Member Posts: 2

These are the main differences i see between Eve Online, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen.

Eve Online is very much a point and click experience, it has no twitch combat type dynamics. so its really all about how many levels you have accrued and ship class and size also having a bearing.

Elite Dangerous has a procedural universe, Eve and SC won't.

Elite Dangerous has planet landings and free form exploration in a near infinite galaxy. Star Citizen will implement a type of Freelancer pre rendered planet landing, Eve has none of this, its basically a sector by sector crawl in space, much like X universe.

Eve is heavily into trading and automating empire building with minimal focus on pilot combat skill. It turns a blind eye to griefing, ganking and other antisocial behaviour in PvP environments. Chris Roberts said he will discourage this by having instanced PvP, in doing so it will minimize unfair teamups.

Both Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen will have the ability for players to look around their ships and check things like cargo holds, and the potential of interacting with NPC ship crew.

All in all I have a deeper appreciation for these veterans coming back to the scene and offering something unique. Their games have the potential to revitalize the space sim market. I am hoping projects such as these will allow for other ambitious games to come onto kickstarter.

This discussion has been closed.