Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fresh start...

I played a new character (minstrel) to level 30 last week, and came to the conclusion that the game is still the most immersive MMO for me, with its low magic, medieval lore and great stories..  And even more better, the addult grown up nature of the community i found..  People still playing the game are here because they love the depth and the lore of the world, that still is close to how tolkien in my vision immagined the world...

I really love how they do contentin this game... Its all build around the Epic quests...  and on top of that there are great PvE stories, high quallity instanced dungeons and instanced Skirmishes... Sadly despite the instance finder its near to impossible to find people to play the group content of the game, and that is sad, because these instances are one of the strong parts of the game.  Now i have to rely on guildees, most of the time of much higher level to complete this content, which sadly removes the challenge of the dungeons.

I even love the monster play in this game, its quite fitting the setting.

And while character annimations obviously are quite dated and combat feel might be a bit slow (will improve with the upcomming upgrade) some of the scenery is still spectacular.

Actually there is only a few minor points of irritation in this game, and the most improtant is the pricing model, i think its probably the game where serious players need to spend the most money...  sure you can play withouth sub, but its gonna cost you some real money, and at first a lot more then when you sub. For me however this is not a hurdle, as i am prepaired to pay for great content. Because everytime i play this game, i get pulled back in.  Its one of those games that feels like comming home to me.

I hope the new content will pull people back to the most consistent MMO world out there..  Dang, i hope the new upgrade and the upcomming hobbit movie will make a tolkien revival.  This still is the closest thing to living in the world as tolkien meant it to be.  And i am quite convinced tolkien would have loved it all (with the exception of the runemaster class) 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I agree this game is still good I just got bored after 5 or 6 years and needed a change I will be checking it out after the expansion to see if the changes they made to the classes are good or terrible.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    I recently came back as well. Been having fun running a Guardian. My only concern is that the servers feel so dead compared to what I remember even on Brandywine. Even in Bree my chat log normally stays blank. =(
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I'm also levelling from scratch (on Laurelin). One of my concerns was being able to do low level instances at correct level, I came across this thread on the forums https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527515-The-new-way-to-find-on-level-fellowships-for-all-your-low-mid-lvl-content!-Join-Now!

Perhaps there's a respective chat channel for your server?

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Our little kinship on Crickhollow still has nearly 100 active members and we regularly raid in all time zones.

I'm taking a little break prior to HD on Nov 18, but looking forward to the new content.

The community is the key, get into a good kinship and you are set.

I still think the in game party chat is one of the games key features, its incredible that it isn't used more often in the industry. It really does help build the sense of camaraderie.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

Aye, played to level 29 the last two weeks. Loving it too, but it has a big problem, its lack of people. I can't find any dungeon, even with the integrated tool. That and no chat activity, people not talking much etc... feels a lot like a SP game.

edit : ah, missed skeaser post, which confirms my impression.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I guess if there isn't such channel, you can create it yourself. Nice idea, btw.

I don't play lowlies atm, but I plan to after HD (I always found it easier to check a revamped system from a new starters pov instead of fiddling with my existing ones... much faster to get used to the new mechanics usually and only then pick up the high level characters)

Now you say, I haven't played GA for a while... great one. I guess I'll get an another dress from Naruhel in the house soon :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

I'm also levelling from scratch (on Laurelin). One of my concerns was being able to do low level instances at correct level, I came across this thread on the forums https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527515-The-new-way-to-find-on-level-fellowships-for-all-your-low-mid-lvl-content!-Join-Now!

will try that tonight at Laurelen EU, buit expecting nothing but an empty chat channel, we will see...

Its a pitty the instance finder is not used, because technically it works great and gives people more then enough options to create groups.. but if noboddy uses it, you are in queue all evening withouth finding a group... Maybe they should make it so that higher level characters are downleveled to the instance level...

But then i am one of those people that doesnt feel like instance finders (espescially in older games) are bad... espescially in games with a great community but not many low level players they add a level of convienence.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I also had a fresh start on Laurelin some months back and now have my hunter to lv 59.

Been lacking a decent PVE MMO since I got burned out on EQ2 and I agree with the comments above. This game, for me at least, delivers a great PVE experience with a world that tops any out there. Just riding from Bree to Rivendell (with no loading screens!) is a wonderful journey in itself.

I spotted the /lowlvl channel pop up last weekend and it seemed to be pretty active. Several people were running Great Barrows and Garth Agarwen, so hopefully we'll see more of this.Overall the server seems pretty populated, especially if you also join the channel /globallff which is basically the server-wide chat channel these days.

Originally posted by Vonatar

Just riding from Bree to Rivendell (with no loading screens!) is a wonderful journey in itself.

Or from Little Delving to the Gates of Moria, also with no loading screens :)

more than 40 minutes (with detours like visiting the 3 trolls in Trollshaws, or hopping over to Imladris and the Misty Mountains, or riding up on the Burnt Tor in Eregion the time can easily go up to 1.5 hours), amazing scenery, nice music... wonderful journey it is.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203

One of my most memorable experiences in a video game was during beta in lotro.  Someone posted in chat lfg to walk to Rivendell.  I joined and the five of walked from Bree to rivendell don't remember how long it took but we stayed on the road ran for our lives at times but when we finally came through the pass and saw Rivendell it was pretty neat.  A couple of us still play today.  

Since then I have played every mmo from vanguard to ffxiv every time is always come back to middle earth .  Every three months I kick myself for not buying lifetime but I still pony up the $29.  One of the best parts is watching the movies every couple years and seeing all the places I've been too and how well turbine has recreated middle earth.  

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I played this game off and on for several years. I have a lifetime account.

I recently gave it another shot but I just can't get into it. Everywhere you look there are buttons and text encouraging you to buy items from the store. LOTRO feels like one giant advertisement.

Same is true of DDO.

Two good games ruined by cash shops, IMO. This could have been done so much better.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

I recently gave it another shot but I just can't get into it. Everywhere you look there are buttons and text encouraging you to buy items from the store. LOTRO feels like one giant advertisement.

Same is true of DDO.

Two good games ruined by cash shops, IMO. This could have been done so much better.

Yeah I don't understand when people say this it's simply not true.  Last night I played for two hours helping my brother level up.  Not once did some big huge advertisement stop me from playing.  When we entered a cave or skirmish maybe the load screen which was up for less then 15sec mentioned something but this are few and far between in lotro.  The only time in the two hours of playing I saw any button I could push to go to the cash shop was in my notification tab.  I was told which deeds I accomplished what deeds I opened up that my legendary items leveled that I gained some tp points and one notification to buy something that I simple hit the x and it was gone.  In two hours of gaming less then one minute was interrupted by this so called giant advertisement. 
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by maxima29

Same is true of DDO.

Yeah I don't understand when people say this it's simply not true.  Last night I played for two hours helping my brother level up.  Not once did some big huge advertisement stop me from playing.  When we entered a cave or skirmish maybe the load screen which was up for less then 15sec mentioned something but this are few and far between in lotro.  The only time in the two hours of playing I saw any button I could push to go to the cash shop was in my notification tab.  I was told which deeds I accomplished what deeds I opened up that my legendary items leveled that I gained some tp points and one notification to buy something that I simple hit the x and it was gone.  In two hours of gaming less then one minute was interrupted by this so called giant advertisement. 

I'd see an eye doctor about your vision problems.

Same is true of DDO.

Hey I appreciate your concern over my eye sight but it's 20/20. Instead of being extremely vague and attacking others why don't you give some examples of where and when in lotro they stop you from playing and force the cash shop on to you.  Loading screens , notification tab, you can throw in hobbit present Mithral coins for travels both the last two are optional and at no time prevent you from playing.  Yes there are notifications and buttons you can click in inventory , legacy slots etc etc but again these are all optional you never have to use them.  They never stop you in game and interrupt your gaming as you tried to claim in your false giant advertisement crap.  

Sorry for meddling into the vision-ary problem ( :) ) but I just left the Haunted Burrow to post that the Harvestmath festival is launched.

So to speak Freshly started, and this way it's not even an off-topic post :)

(sadly there's only 1 new mount, 1 outfit and 2 cloaks, just like with the previous festivals... lately Turbine is pretty lazy with the cosmetics)

Same is true of DDO.

They are there, however one does not need to click them or even better, just not notice them, because there is nothing forcing you to use most of them...

However some people are getting irritated by them and then there is no way back.... its just a matter of mindset... they are there but you can choose not to notice them, and you do not have to use them at all if you choose so..  But then its just as irritating as adds when watching television, in my case you stop noticing them...

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I think I'll be coming back when Helm Deep hits. The combat just puts me to sleep at the moment and the changes in the next expansion seem like combat will be quicker/more responsive.

The game has become very solo friendly since I played at launch which is another gripe but that's the way of the themepark MMO.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Is this game ending on January 1st, 2014? The license is expiring at that time and I haven't heard any announcement about renewal.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Laurelin gives the best RP in any mmo out today, no other mmo comes close. TESO has a chance to bring the same sort of RP but i really can't see it happening. One of the main things is that RP on that server is actually supported by the devs plus you have many cool features that actually add to it.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This is one of those games I've never understood. It always has felt like a vanilla WoW clone to me yet people talk about it like a true love. Either I didn't play it long enough or I just totally missed something that others enjoy. I came back and tried Rift recently to see if I had missed something and leveled to end game and well I hadn't, it just isn't a good game. Maybe I'll try to go back and do LoTRO again.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Laurelen EU, 

It's actually Laurelin.

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149
    I've considered trying this game so many times, but I just cannot bring myself to play an mmo without proper PvP. Especially open world PvP.
    Originally posted by Ender4

This is one of those games I've never understood. It always has felt like a vanilla WoW clone to me yet people talk about it like a true love. Either I didn't play it long enough or I just totally missed something that others enjoy. I came back and tried Rift recently to see if I had missed something and leveled to end game and well I hadn't, it just isn't a good game. Maybe I'll try to go back and do LoTRO again.

It would be hard pressed to find a mmo that doesn't follow some of the wow formula, the secret is to have other things going for it. Lotro is a true RPers dream, the world feels alive and you actually feel part of the story with the books.

You know somewhere in the world Frodo and the fellowship are on the move, in fact you actually meet them. If you like the IP then you really have no other game that brings middle earth to you. On top of that the game has some interesting classes my favorite being my hobbit burglar far removed from Bilbo Baggins on my mothers side.

Remember that Bilbo actually wasn't a rogue he was a burglar and the game really does bring that alive with the class.

Originally posted by Sal1
    Is this game ending on January 1st, 2014? The license is expiring at that time and I haven't heard any announcement about renewal.

The game breaths and shows so much of Tolkien, it would be a shame if the game goes down ever, because the stories in the game add a new layer to the lore.

noboddy that loves tolkien will ever pull the game because of monetairie reasons. If they do they proof that they have no respect for the Tolkien herritage.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Ender4

Are you enamored with the Lord of the Rings story and lore?

Do you find it thrilling to visit places mentioned in the books?

Do you enjoy reading quests? Especially quests that are tied into the lord of the rings story or geography?

Do you like many cosmetic items to help create a unique look for your character?

Are you interested in such things as the music system?

If so then you can understand why people play the game. If you aren't into these things then "sure" all you will see is a WoW clone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo