Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Round Table...Livestream??? (partial rant and poll)

2»

Comments

• Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    LOL! Ok, so, this is where I get lost. If the poll is there to help them, then why not go with what ppl want?

I don't get it. Majority doesn't rule anymore? hahahaha

Now who decided to break that one? lol

I hope you are just trolling here? Of course they aren't going to just let everything be up for vote winner takes all, that would be an awful way to make a game. They are asking for player feedback, something most companies don't bother with. Depending on that feedback the game may shift one direction or another. The actual poll isn't even the most important part of the feedback they get, it is the discussions about the polls that are most useful to them.

For the guy who wants them to share every little thing they've set in stone, no company in the world does this while building their product. It isn't even realistic for them to do it. There will be a round table every week and we'll get more and more info as they go on. A ton of the game isn't set in stone yet and if they are still changing how things work on a daily basis it would be worthless to share the info with us. They already stated that the alpha is the only time they will have an NDA so by the time the game is in beta they will share everything just like WoW did. This is about as open as a game company can get.

I am not asking for what they have set in stone or not. That would be a bit silly to have set in stone ideas during pre-alpha development because certain variables could change that and then disappoint the community with false promises. Which is the only reason I see why a company wouldn't want an open community to develop with them, but that is what SOE wants.

They want to be open with their community so I ask for them to go all the way by sharing as much information with us, whether its assets they are considering or what they are working on now. With detail mind you. 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

What would you like shared that they aren't telling us though? I don't feel like they are hoarding information here, I feel like it is pre-alpha and they just don't have a lot of details set yet. They have given us a lot of information about the big picture and they don't have small picture info done yet.

This isn't like GW2 where they revealed a class every month and doled out information slowly that they obvious could have given us all at once. They have pretty darn open with the community considering where the game is.

Considering the game was announced in August they have given us a lot of information in just 2 months time and they are ramping up for more with the live weekly round tables.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Burdoc101

I have to disagree on most of your points. My numbered list will reflect to your answers.

1. Chris Roberts is not doing this alone: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/49210/get-to-know-your-star-citizen-development-team-updated-10-10-2013

SOE may not know exactly what they can or cannot do with the game right now because they are still testing "new stuff", as they put, or ideas out. They can, however, most certainly give us what information they do have like: what assets they have been working on thus far; what "new stuff" are they trying; actual impacting game-play or mechanics questions to the community; updated round-table polls and responses (part 2, 3, 4, etc.); giving us more concept art; giving us factual data; showing us their intended goals for each month (like the producer's letter, but more detailed); and telling us the process. I really would be happy with Dev Diaries. They are stating facts for Landmark and hope they continue such videos. (There have been round-table where they have given flat out answers, such as race restrictions; which I applaud their answer even if it was disheartening).

Umm...every business needs to make money to support themselves; even RSI. (Robert Space Industries, Star Citizen.)

2. RSI is spending the community kick-starter funds on creating the game. They cannot depend on the kick-starter funds to feed their families after the game is fully developed. Wouldn't you think that they want the game to succeed after launch so that they can continue to support themselves and their families? Straight from the website: "Follow our progress here! Star Citizen is aiming to be the first AAA game developed with money from fans instead of a major publisher. Money pledged to Star Citizen goes directly to the game’s development needs." https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

SOE is a major MMO company. They can most certainly take a hit even if Landmark and EQN flop. They don't need a kickstarter to fund their major project. They are re-inventing the MMO genre as we know it. Possibly creating a new standard for MMOs based on how well the game is created and received.

Both companies have to worry about the future of their games; it would be foolish to think otherwise. If a business does not get paid: you are unable to support your employees; people get laid off and then they can't feed themselves or families. There is motivation for both parties for each of their games to succeed.

3. Chris Roberts is one of the best out there for sure, but you already have a competing market with a MMO giant called EVE Online (along with Dust 514 as its ground counterpart). Also Star Citizen is turning out to be more then just a dog fighter simulator. It will have it, but I would do more research on it before stating what the game is because (like Dust 514) its going to also have ground assaults and much more. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
    Also, have you seen how many WoW "clones" there have been? I believe there is more competition on the horizon that we don't know of. Same goes for EQN. 

Fantasy genre will always be around, I agree that there are a ton of MMOs like it. What will separate EQN will be new innovative, creative ideas; a polished game-play experience; and the Everquest universe. If not, it will be the same thing as usual. 

1. Chris Robert is not doing it alone. But he does have the final saying. When he decide that Star Citizen will have ground combat.. it will have ground combat. And yeap.. they need money, but in comparsion they have already made money, or better said financed more or less all of their production cost.

They can make a pure game, they can realize their pure vision of a game. And they believe that their pure vision will make the game successful, but they are not that dependend on futher sales as EQN.

2. Partly answered in 1.)

Maybe SOE can take another flop.. but they got already a lot of flops or let say just mediocre success. They already restarted EQN development cycle.. i really believe they have to be successful, and have a lot more pressure than Chris Robets.

This is one advantage of crowd funding, you don't have to please your publisher, you have a lot more creative freedom. The problem is, that you have to get enough money from crowd funding.. and more or less only Chris Roberts accomplished such a amount of money, which is more or less necessary for a AAA MMO like game.

3. Ok.. not really a lot to add here. But Chris Roberts is certainly not scared to get copied... and partly point 1.)  and 2.)  count into the equation, but also that there are not that much Space Sim Action Games. (Elite may be the only one, and it is different enough, that interested customers are interested in both.. as i am interested in both).

EvE is not a lot of Action, and Dust is more comparable with Battlefield, instead of Star Citizen.

EQN will be copied a lot more, and was already in the past.. be it EQ1 or any other game..

But could they offer more information? Of course, they could, and they most probably will over time. My point was, that they don't have all that much information nailed down by themself. And they will not tell you or the community anything they may have to take back and reasons for that have a lot to do with 1.) and 2.). And another reason is, that they don't have that a clear vision like Chris Roberts, because EQN is not the vision of just one man as i already said.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

LOL! Ok, so, this is where I get lost. If the poll is there to help them, then why not go with what ppl want?

I hope you are just trolling here? Of course they aren't going to just let everything be up for vote winner takes all, that would be an awful way to make a game. They are asking for player feedback, something most companies don't bother with. Depending on that feedback the game may shift one direction or another. The actual poll isn't even the most important part of the feedback they get, it is the discussions about the polls that are most useful to them.

For the guy who wants them to share every little thing they've set in stone, no company in the world does this while building their product. It isn't even realistic for them to do it. There will be a round table every week and we'll get more and more info as they go on. A ton of the game isn't set in stone yet and if they are still changing how things work on a daily basis it would be worthless to share the info with us. They already stated that the alpha is the only time they will have an NDA so by the time the game is in beta they will share everything just like WoW did. This is about as open as a game company can get.

I don't troll... Ever!

In a poll, you usually always get a majority winner. Why even have a poll if that winner doesn't set the outcome of whatever the poll is about? Going with something else in a poll other than the choice with the highest votes, that makes them the Troll. So, in this case SOE, through their polls are trolling their voters.

They should have just kept the forum and had the discussions and not add any polls unless they planned to stick with the majority votes. Now, they've ruined everything. I wonder how many, like me have quit voting and quit visiting their forums because of their trolling.

A funny comparison...

If there was a guy that had a final say in country elections. In US, the Democrats won over Republican, 65% vs 35% (This is fiction numbers). But this guy (SOE) says no. The Democrats did win the poll, but, I think the better ruler of the country should be the Republicans. So there for, that's how it's going to be. How do you think the majority would react in that vote? Now, luckily, we dont have "that guy" (SOE) in elections like that.

The point is still there. Remove the polls, because they are worthless and only cause problems unless you go with the majority. Also, hope it's not to late, that people has become to angry already.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Meh! I stopped caring about the roundtable the second time they went against the majority on their polls. I stopped voting.

I will try the games though, both EQNL and EQN.

Those polls are a tool to help them to make decisions, they are not to make the decisions for them. That is a difference, and a big one, too.

So, if people say jump over the cliff, you will do it? What people say, or better what the majority says is not always the best thing to do, but in the case for EQN or any other game, all elements have to fit together..

And by the way.. Majority never ruled anything. Not even in politics.

The point is still there. Remove the polls, because they are worthless and only cause problems unless you go with the majority. Also, hope it's not to late, that people has become to angry already

Or they could just assume that most of their fans are intelligent enough to realize that they are just trying to get opinions which is what most polls are about. Polls are used to judge opinion, they are not about deciding policy. This wasn't a vote, it was a poll, those are completely different things.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

The point is still there. Remove the polls, because they are worthless and only cause problems unless you go with the majority. Also, hope it's not to late, that people has become to angry already

Or they could just assume that most of their fans are intelligent enough to realize that they are just trying to get opinions which is what most polls are about. Polls are used to judge opinion, they are not about deciding policy. This wasn't a vote, it was a poll, those are completely different things.

The idea behind the poll is still there, like you said, to find out the opinions of people in the current matter. If you have a landslide winner in that poll, why would you not go with what the majority of the crowd wants? In a business perspective, that's stupid not to.

I will give you another example...

A twitch streamer has a nice viewer base that he/she has established of some time. The streamer gets an idea that will maybe make more ppl come the stream and stay. The streamer adds a poll that will decide what game he/she will play, and the viewers get to choose. Great idea, huh? Ok, so the viewers vote, but once the vote is done the winning game is not really what the streamer wants to play right now, so he chooses the, lets say 3rd choice. The viewers will most likely go WTF?!?! but shrug it off because they will let this one slide. It's only 1 time, right? But, then he does it a second and a third time. What do you think will happen after this?

This is exactly the same thing that's going on now.

They haven't had a landslide winner though. Sure if they had a 90% vote and just completely ignored it I'd say the poll isn't being useful. Nothing like that has happened though. As I mentioned it is the discussion that matters more than the poll anyway.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I view these completely differnt than you do. They are trying to connect to the community and explain why they are making the choices they are. It doesn't feel remotely like some sort of marketing scheme or anything to me. This isn't like say Funcom with AOC where they outright lied about things and kept things secret so people wouldn't know about it.

This is a game that is still pre-beta just trying to get some feedback on what the community wants and giving some info on why they are doing what they are doing. They are at the stage of development where they still can make changes to the game if they have misjudged what the community wants. They would pick much more interesting topics if they were just trying to get hype. Two guys discussing the potential death penalty isn't hype~.

I don't get why anyone would be bothered by this. Out of all the games that I've followed this one is one of the lowest key when it comes to the hype machine.

I agree that they are trying to connect or reach out to the community, but they are going half ass about it. A lot of the round table has just been leaving unanswered questions or assumptions to float around the web.

Personally it leaves me with a gray palette where I am not sure whether to be excited or not about their answers. Sometimes the polls given should be corrected or broken down further. Some answers that they give are not complete or do not really tell what they are actually going to do. If they are going to involve the community in building the game with them they should really open their information with us.

I will admit they have justified some polls with answer that I appreciate, like the race/class restrictions. That is obviously answered openly and to its fullest, but most of them have been so far frustrating to gaze at because of the "maybe" answers given. 

I would appreciate it if they re-did polls again or went back and re-answered a poll with a part two video if its necessary if they can't answer the question at that time. 

If a game company is going to involve the community, go all the way and you will be more appreciated for it.

Did you even watch the video, they said exacly why the round table questions havant had a clear answer yet, They still want the conversation they said once they decided and not being changed thats when they post gets closed and u know what their doing.

If EQN/Landmark are going F2P and they want to involve the community so much, why not give every detail about the game in its current development? 

Because Everything they have done so far is not set in stone yet and can be changed at any time, Not to mention doing this would create huge hype and the game isnt even near release.

Originally posted by Enrif

Of course this is just how I feel and I am not a developer so I don't know what goes into making a game besides time, money and a few guesses, but it brings me back to my question I haven't seen answered yet:

If EQN/Landmark are going F2P and they want to involve the community so much, why not give every detail about the game in its current development? 

Because every other Developer could steal the ideas. There are some Games out there in the Dark of Development that could take a bit of them(Blizzard Titan), and it wouldnt be the first time that some one else copies stuff from SOE and makes it "better"(Vanilla WoW). This is the sole reason why they cant give all the details. 

Or to put it other way, why should i drive a Ferrari, when some one else offers me a Lamborghini for the same price?

This aswell they even said it themselfs at somepoint they felt that alot of their things have been taken from other dev for their game when they said things to early and so on which was the reason for the blackbox for so long was to limite this from happening.

• NavinJohnsonNavinJohnson Member Posts: 60

I very much appreciate what SOE is doing with these discussions, because they are taking time and energy to communicate with the community, solicit feedback about their ideas and what we might desire, and, they are bending over backwards to explain the reasons behind the decisions they have already come to grips with.

I like the effort they are making and am thankful for it.

If I had a criticism, it's that they are trying to hold our attention without a great deal of additional substance, but in their defense, the game is still in development, so there just much to feed us at this point.

The roll out was incredibly exciting because they revealed the foundation of a really interesting game.  They can't hold that level of energy through further development until the game is near ready to launch, but I commend them for trying and for having a dialogue with us.

For myself, I would enjoy consuming more of the lore and it would be interesting to see if they could come up with some interesting and creative ways to entertain us with this more often while we work through the development process.

The roll out was incredibly exciting because they revealed the foundation of a really interesting game. They can't hold that level of energy through further development until the game is near ready to launch, but I commend them for trying and for having a dialogue with us.

Luckily they only have to try to hold it until Landmark. Landmark will revitalize interest in the game. After that the beta will likely start and with no NDA the beta players will revitalize interest again.

<SNIP>

1. Chris Robert is not doing it alone. But he does have the final saying. When he decide that Star Citizen will have ground combat.. it will have ground combat. And yeap.. they need money, but in comparsion they have already made money, or better said financed more or less all of their production cost.

They can make a pure game, they can realize their pure vision of a game. And they believe that their pure vision will make the game successful, but they are not that dependend on futher sales as EQN.

2. Partly answered in 1.)

Maybe SOE can take another flop.. but they got already a lot of flops or let say just mediocre success. They already restarted EQN development cycle.. i really believe they have to be successful, and have a lot more pressure than Chris Robets.

This is one advantage of crowd funding, you don't have to please your publisher, you have a lot more creative freedom. The problem is, that you have to get enough money from crowd funding.. and more or less only Chris Roberts accomplished such a amount of money, which is more or less necessary for a AAA MMO like game.

3. Ok.. not really a lot to add here. But Chris Roberts is certainly not scared to get copied... and partly point 1.)  and 2.)  count into the equation, but also that there are not that much Space Sim Action Games. (Elite may be the only one, and it is different enough, that interested customers are interested in both.. as i am interested in both).

EvE is not a lot of Action, and Dust is more comparable with Battlefield, instead of Star Citizen.

EQN will be copied a lot more, and was already in the past.. be it EQ1 or any other game..

But could they offer more information? Of course, they could, and they most probably will over time. My point was, that they don't have all that much information nailed down by themself. And they will not tell you or the community anything they may have to take back and reasons for that have a lot to do with 1.) and 2.). And another reason is, that they don't have that a clear vision like Chris Roberts, because EQN is not the vision of just one man as i already said.

SOE is its own publisher though. It is funding itself. It has nothing holding it back. This is the third iteration of the game, meaning it has been restarted three times. 

Kick-starter is great, I have nothing against a crowd funded game like Star Citizen. I donated some cash myself when the campaign was trying to reach its first goal of 2 million. It has the same premise though as a big triple AAA company that has nothing holding it back, like SOE. 

(Only noted Dust 514 for the ground combat example). 

The information they could offer are: classes; races; crafting; tools for landmark; concept artwork; and any other basic knowledge they can provide up to this point in development, even if it is pre-alpha information. 

Maybe I am being a bit greedy for information, but I still think this is reasonable.

Originally posted by sanshi44

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Did you even watch the video, they said exacly why the round table questions havant had a clear answer yet, They still want the conversation they said once they decided and not being changed thats when they post gets closed and u know what their doing.

No I haven't been able to watch the 40 minute video yet. :-(

I try to give it a watch tonight though and will create a new thread (unless one is already made) about discussing the post-livestream.

Your information certainly makes me want to be less ignorant if its correct! 

I know I have been against how they have done communication to the community, but for the most part they have done a great job and I wish only to see more because I feel they are not going as far as the could for the community. I am a huge fan of SOE, the Everquest universe and the EQN team; and want nothing more then to succeed.

I feel like I am involved in the development of the game and maybe that has led me to believe that we deserve more results for the community. In the end it is still SOE's final say so, but being that they are so passionate for the game and want the community to be involved, I still feel they should let go of the restrictions that are holding back from opening up to us fully.

If you listen to how Dave Georgeson talks, you know he is itching the most out of everyone to tell us everything about EQN.

I guess I need to just take the time and watch the dang video so I hear from first hand what they are tying to accomplish.

Originally posted by sanshi44

Because Everything they have done so far is not set in stone yet and can be changed at any time, Not to mention doing this would create huge hype and the game isnt even near release.

Personally, I understand that the game is not set in stone with anything as of right now and will probably change in dramatic ways up until its launch, but I would still like the information that they have right now to disseminate and discuss with others about the features. Even if they do change, I would discuss the change then as well. 

I know I am talking out of ignorance at this point until I have learned more information in my hand from the EQN team, but appreciate the discussions with yall ;-). I am going to watch the round table live stream video hopefully tonight and discuss this another day.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Just watched the 40min livestream video.

Practically the whole thing is a DIRECT response to this :

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/thread/397038/Whats-the-point-of-Round-Table.html

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by their response. Whereas many devs would shrug off criticism of the round table, SOE has instead decided to better explain its purpose to us. They basically confirmed it's like a focus group to see how much the community was on the same page as the devs. I am totally fine with that and commend them for being upfront about things. I have no problem trusting them to ultimately make the right decisions for the game.

• NavinJohnsonNavinJohnson Member Posts: 60

Meh! I stopped caring about the roundtable the second time they went against the majority on their polls. I stopped voting.

Those polls are a tool to help them to make decisions, they are not to make the decisions for them. That is a difference, and a big one, too.

So, if people say jump over the cliff, you will do it? What people say, or better what the majority says is not always the best thing to do, but in the case for EQN or any other game, all elements have to fit together..

These round table polls have never said: "Hey, we don't have any ideas, so tell us what you want and we'll put them in."

I believe they are promoting them for three reasons:

(1) To get a feel for what features people want implemented immediately and what features can wait a bit.

(2) To get a sense of what players want so an evaluation can be made as to whether those items demonstrate enough demand to deserve further consideration.

(3) To identify and get out in front of possible player objections.

These questions are market research tools, not player entitlement services.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

I am so happy they are doing the round table.  They are taking the community feedback and weighing it for the direction they want to go and making the best decision for their game/business model. 

I am glad they are not solely basing their decisions on the polls.  They are analzying the data, which is helping to GUIDE some of the decisons they were not quite 100% with.  I am honored they are taking into account the amount of feedback as they have so far.

I also think they are coming across feedback/ideas from the community that they did not quite think of and could possibly change what the outcome of the game would of been.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by NavinJohnson

These round table polls have never said: "Hey, we don't have any ideas, so tell us what you want and we'll put them in."

I believe they are promoting them for three reasons:

(1) To get a feel for what features people want implemented immediately and what features can wait a bit.

(2) To get a sense of what players want so an evaluation can be made as to whether those items demonstrate enough demand to deserve further consideration.

(3) To identify and get out in front of possible player objections.

These questions are market research tools, not player entitlement services.

Market research is a way to determine what is best for your niche in the market.  So, in a sense they are doing both!  They are determining what is the best fit for their market and doing their best to delivery a game focused on this market.  By doing so they are implementing things that people in this market would enjoy.  Thus, using a market research tool is not a bad things in building a product, we should be happy they are spending the time and effort doing this.

Originally posted by Tierless
    I have no real EQN hate but I honestly think it's just marketing BS making EQN feel like a kickstarted game when in reality they have already ran the numbers, done the polls, and made the decisions internally.

I think you are just wrong. The things they are asking about are things that are almost certainly not set in stone this early in the games production. When I started beta testing WoW you allocated stats each level as an example. People would always just put the points in the same places pretty much so they changed their minds. This is the type of things they are polling about, stuff that there is no way that they are set in stone yet.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Nadia
    i stopped caring about the round table after the discussion about Race, seems more a vehicle to drum up hype

My thoughts exactly.. I don't care after it became clear to me it was just a PR stunt ..