Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 Days to Die: A Zombie Survival and Crafting Game

VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

7 Days to Die: The Zombie Survival and Crafting Game

I remember the first time I logged in Minecraft. I wasn’t blown away by the graphics, but by the mechanics, world, and crafting system. I classify myself as a very creative individual and to me Minecraft was where I went to practice that art. Recently by word of mouth I discovered 7 Days to Die. When I was reading up on the game it sparked my interest. It sounded like DayZ and Minecraft all rolled into one. Let me tell you this, I absolutely enjoyed DayZ but it was missing one major element to me and that was a real crafting and building system. Now, DayZ Origins addressed some of that and I enjoyed it for awhile. But I wanted to design my own base, build my own traps, craft my own weapons, you get the picture.

So, I purchased the game and I was blown away by how much fun this game is and it’s in its early stages of alpha. I barely survived my first night. Zombies during the day are your average slow moving zombie. Yet, at night they turn in to super zombies with increased movement speed and will hunt you mercilessly. The poor house I took for shelter caved in from the horde tearing it to shreds just as daylight peaked. I survived bloody, beaten, and barely any health left. I managed to loot a shotgun, some spam, some water, and a few miscellaneous crafting materials like scrap and cloth. I punched some trees for wood and made myself a little makeshift hut 6 blocks thick. Then night fall came and I was swarmed with zombies from every angle. They beat that hut down after a little while, came in and slaughtered me. I don’t ask for much but I like to be wined and dine before I’m eaten by a horde.

If you enjoyed DayZ or Minecraft you should check out 7 Days to Die. Or, maybe you’re like me and you enjoyed both. This game has many elements of both, along with multiplayer. I’ve even noticed that some servers have some mods. So, like Minecraft there is more than likely going to be a modding community developing new features or enhancing current features for the game.

7 Days to Die is a new zombie survival game currently in purchasable alpha testing and under development by The Fun Pimps.  You can find more information and purchase the game at http://7daystodie.com/. The game was recently on Kickstarter and has surpassed its funding goals. It also has been Greenlit for Steam.

Some Important Information: In current build 1.1a

Some of the stuff mentioned in the Kickstarter video are currently not in the alpha stage but are coming soon. Such as XP, stat boosts, special zombies.

There are reports of bugs happening to some players after day 50 such as unkillable zombies, unable to break blocks, etc.

Missing crafting recipes which can be fixed with some simple editing by either doing a simple google search or checking the forums or wiki. (related to Lead, shotgun shells, and barbed wire)

This game is in no way a finished product. So, if the concept appeals to you and  you don't mind being a tester through gameplay, feedback, constructive criticism, and support you should consider picking up 7 Days to Die.

Comments

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Way to easy and repetitive.  

Hit one month of tedious and boring survival and was like well maybe in a year or so this may be worth looking at again. 

There are some interesting aspects but overall the game really does not have much to offer. 

I know it is still early in development but this is the slap in the face all game devs deserve  when they decide to charge people to play alpha level games. Once you decide to take our $ for early access, then you better have a game you are ready to be judged on.

As it stands 7 days is really not worth the time, effort, or money.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    It's got a lot of cool stuff to it but yeah it's just not finished yet in terms of content and polish/bug-fixing. Zombies being able to destroy your stuff is great and so is structural integrity. I'm with the guy above who says that it'll probably be good in a year or so.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by psiic

Hit one month of tedious and boring survival and was like well maybe in a year or so this may be worth looking at again. 

There are some interesting aspects but overall the game really does not have much to offer. 

I know it is still early in development but this is the slap in the face all game devs deserve  when they decide to charge people to play alpha level games. Once you decide to take our $ for early access, then you better have a game you are ready to be judged on.

Minecraft was the same way early on, easy and repetitive.  Have you tried doing any Multiplayer with randoms or friends? It mixes things up a bit and adds more to the game. I could see how singleplayer could get boring after awhile. However, only if you make it too easy. Ie: digging to bedrock and setting up shop.

Originally posted by Holophonist
    It's got a lot of cool stuff to it but yeah it's just not finished yet in terms of content and polish/bug-fixing. Zombies being able to destroy your stuff is great and so is structural integrity. I'm with the guy above who says that it'll probably be good in a year or so.

Oh, I completely agree with you. If you're the type who needs to play a finished product then you should wait. I myself and I'm sure many others like to see a game being developed and being apart of that experience. There is no doubt in my mind this game will be great in a year from now. Especially when we can create our own maps, etc.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Vandarix

Oh, I completely agree with you. If you're the type who needs to play a finished product then you should wait. I myself and I'm sure many others like to see a game being developed and being apart of that experience. There is no doubt in my mind this game will be great in a year from now. Especially when we can create our own maps, etc.

I don't think it's much of a "what type are you" at this point because I'm definitely the kind of person who doesn't care about bugginess or missing content. But there really is just not much to do and there are literally game breaking bugs. Like the common problem where once your saved game (at least in multiplayer) gets past day 50, everything stops working. Zombies can't be killed, blocks stay on the ground after you destroy them, etc.

I don't think it's much of a "what type are you" at this point because I'm definitely the kind of person who doesn't care about bugginess or missing content. But there really is just not much to do and there are literally game breaking bugs. Like the common problem where once your saved game (at least in multiplayer) gets past day 50, everything stops working. Zombies can't be killed, blocks stay on the ground after you destroy them, etc.

I actually haven't had this problem in 1.1a on multiplayer. Were on day 147 and are having none of these issues at least not yet. However, I have heard of people having the issue.

Originally posted by WabbaWay
    [mod edit]

You're welcome to your own opinion. However, if you look through the game list you will find DayZ and Minecraft which are games similar in nature to 7 Days to Die. So, in that perspective this game would belong on MMORPG.com.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Vandarix

Minecraft was the same way early on, easy and repetitive.  Have you tried doing any Multiplayer with randoms or friends? It mixes things up a bit and adds more to the game. I could see how singleplayer could get boring after awhile. However, only if you make it too easy. Ie: digging to bedrock and setting up shop.

Boggles, if you don't want people digging to bedrock then don't make augers so easy to come by.  Make them a crafted item a few slots down a crafting tree. 

Way it stands now soon as you pick up an auger game is over you win.

" If you Make it too easy " ? Seriously you are saying I as the play am responsible for the game being too easy and not challenging because I use the tools you guys put in the game?

Yea ok  

Boggles, if you don't want people digging to bedrock then don't make augers so easy to come by.  Make them a crafted item a few slots down a crafting tree. 

Way it stands now soon as you pick up an auger game is over you win.

" If you Make it too easy " ? Seriously you are saying I as the play am responsible for the game being too easy and not challenging because I use the tools you guys put in the game?

Yea ok  

Well, you play the game how you want it to be played. You have to power to make the game easy or make it hard. The game is in alpha you already stated you knew this. There are going to be balancing issues. I don't use the auger by choice.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

while i am not a fan of the pricing, nor of Fun Pimps customer service, nor their lack of regular updates in the forums, Vand has every right to post this here.

they apparently thoroughly enjoy the game and wanted to share their experience. there's really nothing to criticize about that.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

while i am not a fan of the pricing, nor of Fun Pimps customer service, nor their lack of regular updates in the forums, Vand has every right to post this here.

they apparently thoroughly enjoy the game and wanted to share their experience. there's really nothing to criticize about that.

Thanks for the support. I can understand your frustration with the CS and Lack of forum updates. Fun Pimps briefly addressed this issue recently in an announcement thread. Stating, "I would first like to apologize for our lack of communication as of late. I'll explain why though in a bit down in this post. But first the apology. I know you're all feeling left in the dark and that we, especially me have not been active on the forums. Things have been really hectic and busy Fun Pimp wise."

I myself, completely agree that lack of communication is bad for any developer and we will have to see if they keep to their current post. Certainly every developer has their issues and lack of communication shouldn't be one of them. But I do understand that at times you get caught up in your work and that's the only thing on your mind. Hopefully they will keep someone updating us more frequently.