Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing

2»

Comments

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

With in game currency and via in game "taxes" you get to claim one plot of land, and you have to give it upkeep on a basis they determine, just like in EQ2. However, it will not be instanced, and it has various limits to size. So you can't build a whole city, but you can build catacombs/dungeon.

You can buy multiple other plots of land, but these will be with real money. You will still be taxes in game money to keep it up.

These "taxes", are to prevent other people from claiming that particular plot of land, however, NPCs are still at liberty to destroy what you have created. So if you decide to make your house out where there are very few people, and lots of NPCs, chances are high that when you come back the next day, there will be a lot of damage to clear out. If instead, you make your housing where several others have made their housing (a makeshift city), your items will have a much higher chance to survive without your intervention, since the other players, who do not want their own houses to be destroyed, will be actively be keeping it clear of menacing NPCs.

Personally, I think so far what is on paper is good... I am hoping they pull it off well.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Sephastus

however, NPCs are still at liberty to destroy what you have created. So if you decide to make your house out where there are very few people, and lots of NPCs, chances are high that when you come back the next day, there will be a lot of damage to clear out.

we need more info on that

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

You can also make things open for destruction or keep them locked and safe.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Sephastus

however, NPCs are still at liberty to destroy what you have created. So if you decide to make your house out where there are very few people, and lots of NPCs, chances are high that when you come back the next day, there will be a lot of damage to clear out.

we need more info on that

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

You can also make things open for destruction or keep them locked and safe.

I hope it does work like that, because otherwise you could get the kind of overbuilding that some people worry about. It would also make it much different to build where there are known large orc tribes versus a glade where you commonly only see deer.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• HybridGavaxHybridGavax Member UncommonPosts: 5

so, npcs can destroy my house anywhere or there will be safe locations? if they can destroy my house anywhere can they take my items that was on the house?

sry my bad english

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by HybridGavax

so, npcs can destroy my house anywhere or there will be safe locations? if they can destroy my house anywhere can they take my items that was on the house?

as I posted earlier, we need more details

from what I've read:

Only claim owners or their designated trustees can build or destroy on the claims.

it's unclear how private claims / public areas intermix for destructability

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I would love it if monsters could raid and occupy my landclaim. Then I could gather up some friends and go take it back.
    I have posted this before, but the idea is so exciting to me that I hqve o repeat myself:
    What I really want is to be able to build a tower/keep with a farm and stable and stuff, then have npc farmers move in and pay me rent in some form. I would have to protect them from monster raids and supply them witu food if theor crop fails or something.
    Also, it would be cool if whoever granted me the land required some kind of service occasionally as part of the grant.
  • SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Given the trial balloon state of EQN you may be closer to what they will do than I took from their presentation. Also it could be that they screw the pooch on the sandbox of EQN and figure that being able to dig is enough.

Someone asked about something in EQN that would be analogous to redstone, and the panel of devs replied that it would be foolish for them to not include some sort of object functionality (working doors for houses was mentioned).

Sandbox to me means first and foremost that you can have some effect on the world, and that it's not the same landscape year after year with no change. They said there would be designated wilderness areas, so the static map people can go there I guess. Don't leave though! You will see things that players built! OMG

There are tons of games that give you no option to change the world. It would be the same boring stuff if EQN were the same landscape in year 5 as on day one.

The problem with this is that you run into the general problem of player created content. For every gem you get a giant pile of dirt. If everyone is able to just get a plot of land in the open world and build what he likes, the landscape would change into some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland that is cluttered with poorly build, unfinished and abandoned structures. There could be some sort of quality check, but this would require a massive amount of GMs and it would be hard to tell someone that his creation is simply to ugly for EQN.

I see two solutions for this. The first would be to keep the housing within a instanced neighbourhood.

The second would be open world housing, but you can't design you own House but you have to choose a blueprint that is approved by the devs. In addition houses would be very hard to get and to maintain to limit their number.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Democlease

I think a cool method would be that you could build your house anywhere, and when your done you get a house key that allows you to phase into your plot. For example, you make a house on a hill, and you and your friend go up to the hill and you just let him/her know you need to go to your house. You activate the key and all the players disappear and your house reappears.

Doing it like that a bunch of peoples houses could be right on top each other, but phased apart and invisible. doing something like that frees up cluttering, allows houses anywhere, and you and anyone you invite to your house would be the only one's responsible for destroying it.

That could be a solution. I would add to this that you can always see your own house and all your friends/guild members houses. If you enter you own or a freinds plot you can only see your friends and only they can see you.

The plots should also be movable with everything on them, to move them nearer to your friends house and to move it out of the way if a friend happens to have his house build in the same spot.

The phasing would still create some problems. You would see people disappearing and reappearing all the time. This wouldn't be very immersive.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i found the rules to player housing.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Housing