Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for new modem.

JandersJanders Member UncommonPosts: 87

Looking to replace my leased modem.  Any suggestions for a wireless modem???

Thanks!!

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

cable ?  dsl?  dial up?

I like to keep my router seperate from my modem in case I want to upgrade one or change the type of service.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• JandersJanders Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I just looked at some asus routers... I might go that route.  I replaced the modem already but it didn't have wireless, although it is pretty good.
  • JandersJanders Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I have the Motorola SB6141 and its cable.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

That Motorola is a good modem.

When it comes to routers its difficult to make a bad pick now with so many competing in that space and new vendors competing as well like Western Digital. You are going to get a mixed bag regardless of the vendor you choose to go with. The only exception is Belkin. Don't get a Belkin, and by default don't get a Linksys since they are now Belkins. Netgear is so so. So I would seriously look at the top end ASUS router. The reason being the only three top end routers are a Linksys, Netgear, and ASUS. ASUS tends to do a good job with their top end gear.

The reason I suggest looking at the top end router is because they have N600. The Wireless-AC is offered by most routers, but not most devices. This means that nearly all the communication you will be doing on wireless is going to be across Wireless N for the next 4 years which is the typical life span of any electronic component/device. N600 offers 600 MB/s on one channel of wireless N and is backwards compatible with the other Wireless N rates. So that means you can take full advantage of any device using Wireless N. Like I said, only those three routers have N600 on them.