Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage 2 worth playing?

MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94

I played Lineage 2 at launch, top alliance and all, was an amazing experience, interest tapered before c1 and we kind of all decided to quit.

I ended up switching to some private servers doing coding and such, improving the game that way. I played those for several years and then went back to wow. I played wow a long time mostly because of my friends. My top 2 MMOs are still probably SWG and Lineage 2. Does Lineage 2 still have a great feel? Will I be able to even compete this late in the game? Did the cash shop ruin it? Is the community still strong?

Comments

• bomjbomj Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Im curious as well.
  • MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by bomj
    Im curious as well.

Did you play in the days of old as well?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Lineage II as it is now is no longer what is was during C1-5. A lot has changed, and will keep changing.

For starters, when you make a new char, you'll be hand-held till level 85 (I did 85 in 6 days on Innova, just to show how easy you level now) and then you'll be running daily quests and instances. PvP is still good and fun IF (BIG IF) you're competing against legit players. Non-legit players using lag scripts (even during olympiad matches FFS!) and ranger to easily target whoever they want.

And then there's the botting problem... Was there from the start and got worse since Free2Play. By now everyone bots in L2 (almost everyone, but it's hard to find legit players though) and GMs are not even taking action against it. Same goes for RMT and those extremely annoying RMT yellers in each town :(

...that's how things are on NCWest servers... On the Innova servers the GMs do take action against cheaters, botters and RMT. Only problem there though is that FROST anti-cheat program kinda scanning your whole computer every 15 minutes and causing a small lag spike when data is send to the server.

Also worth to note, if you've been coding your own L2 private server, I think that official servers will not be your thing. Where in the past you could change everything you wanted (and probably have done), now you're set to the NC code and standards.

Oh, and about the cash shop... I know on Innova most game breaking items have been removed and all still there can also be acquired in-game. This while NC still has some items in the shop that you can't acquire through the game. So yeah, NC is a bit more 'Pay2Win' than the Innova server is. At least both are not selling 100% success enchants anymore...

Originally posted by Reizla

Lineage II as it is now is no longer what is was during C1-5. A lot has changed, and will keep changing.

For starters, when you make a new char, you'll be hand-held till level 85 (I did 85 in 6 days on Innova, just to show how easy you level now) and then you'll be running daily quests and instances. PvP is still good and fun IF (BIG IF) you're competing against legit players. Non-legit players using lag scripts (even during olympiad matches FFS!) and ranger to easily target whoever they want.

And then there's the botting problem... Was there from the start and got worse since Free2Play. By now everyone bots in L2 (almost everyone, but it's hard to find legit players though) and GMs are not even taking action against it. Same goes for RMT and those extremely annoying RMT yellers in each town :(

...that's how things are on NCWest servers... On the Innova servers the GMs do take action against cheaters, botters and RMT. Only problem there though is that FROST anti-cheat program kinda scanning your whole computer every 15 minutes and causing a small lag spike when data is send to the server.

Also worth to note, if you've been coding your own L2 private server, I think that official servers will not be your thing. Where in the past you could change everything you wanted (and probably have done), now you're set to the NC code and standards.

Oh, and about the cash shop... I know on Innova most game breaking items have been removed and all still there can also be acquired in-game. This while NC still has some items in the shop that you can't acquire through the game. So yeah, NC is a bit more 'Pay2Win' than the Innova server is. At least both are not selling 100% success enchants anymore...

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm a bit sad it took you only 6 days to get to 85. Are you still playing(legit or private?) And whats Innova exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

I quited playing Lineage II all together a couple of months ago. Though I still like the old game, I don't like the grind for daily quests and instances what it has become. And from what I've heard, the next chronicle will even make things worse with max levels of 100/100/99/99 (now 99/99/80/80).

Innova is a Russian publisher who has the Lineage II license for Europe (www.lineage2.eu). On their servers you can opt to subscribe to get some very nice agathion that can give you a daily goodie (nothing game-breaking), and you can level at 2x rates. It's there that I managed to hit 85 in 6 days (would be 12 days on NC servers then).

Originally posted by Reizla

I quited playing Lineage II all together a couple of months ago. Though I still like the old game, I don't like the grind for daily quests and instances what it has become. And from what I've heard, the next chronicle will even make things worse with max levels of 100/100/99/99 (now 99/99/80/80).

Innova is a Russian publisher who has the Lineage II license for Europe (www.lineage2.eu). On their servers you can opt to subscribe to get some very nice agathion that can give you a daily goodie (nothing game-breaking), and you can level at 2x rates. It's there that I managed to hit 85 in 6 days (would be 12 days on NC servers then).

So maybe I should find a private server with old gameplay values. How does the Russian server run for East coast?

Originally posted by Mysta

How does the Russian server run for East coast?

I used to play on Devianne and I had a ping of around 90ms (from The Netherlands myself). The Innova servers are located in Germany (Frankfurt iirc) and is connected to a huge inet hub there. So my guess you'd have around 90ms ping on their servers.

So am I correct in concluding you recommend against playing in official servers though? Which are cleaner between the two?

I'm trying FFXIV atm, but it's not doing it for me, combat is slow and I don't like the instanced zones.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

The game is still playable, and I and i am enjoying the game.

Dont think to much that it goes fast to 85, 85 is just the new 76 nothing else.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I still enjoy the game too. Next update my class gets its old skills back and I am looking forward to it.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I'm playing on the official servers (Chronos) and am approaching it pretty much as I would have all along; leveling in my usual spots (out in Enchanted Valley right now), duoing with a friend of mine, whom I originally met in L2 back during C3. I'm not using the Path of Awakening weapons (one of the bad ideas implemented, in my opinion; I hate hand-outs), but am buying or crafting my own items, etc.

We were out there for a couple hours last night, just killin' away and chatting on TS. Was great to do that again. Also found they spiced the place up. There's these little houses now that weren't there when I used to xp out there.

It's something I've realized after picking up XI again. Despite the sweeping changes to the game that are going to affect anyone playing in some ways, you can still play the games at least somewhat close to how they used to be. Just ignore/avoid all the new "methods" as much as possible. The xp is still faster (way faster), but the experience itself can still be very similar.

So, for me, yes it is still worth playing, even on the live servers. Though I'm in a situation I'm guessing most wouldn't find appealing - playing things more the "old way", by leveling up for a couple hours or more at a time, etc. It was always relaxing and fun to me to do that; especially when you get into a groove.

Tangent you are playing the game the way its supposed to be played. Lineage 2 at its core is still the same game it has always been and even with all the changes that the game has been through its  better then anything else out there. I will be here until they pull the plug.
  • LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I miss L2 so much but I don't wanna have to bot in order to compete.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Are any of you guys getting horrendous lag. The game has been unplayable for me. I literally hit a skill and wait two or three seconds.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

You don't. 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Are any of you guys getting horrendous lag. The game has been unplayable for me. I literally hit a skill and wait two or three seconds.

Did you try posting this on the official forum?

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

You don't. 

I started playing L2 retail as soon as F2P and within 2 weeks we had a whole clan of 99's, within a month all the top clans were bots. No clue about know.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    i miss old time c4/c5/c6 when  i play pserver with +5k ppls  and pvping for Baium.. :D
  • TinkerballerTinkerballer Member Posts: 8

To the OP. Lineage 2 was a beautiful game. Now, it is just a haven for bot pvp. He who runs the best scripts wins.

If you wish to compete at the highest level, it will take you about 3-6 months of 24/7 bot leveling to hit max level. You will  have to spend alot of cash on XP runes to boost your XP rate. If you do not want to do that, then it will definitely take you longer. As far as gear goes, you will need to join a top clan and get to the top of their loot list to get boss jewels. You absolutely need to min/max your toon to truly compete against the top players. I do not recommend Lineage 2 at this time.

The use of 3rd party programming has grown grossly out of control. It went from being used purely to level your character fast to now running full on pvp scripts. Basically, all you have to do now is load a script and get within range of a target.

Do not let the 6 days to level 85 fool you. That is under optimum conditions and the purchasing of premium items. I got to level 85 in 3 days but I think the XP boosts have changed since I quit . The grind starts at 85.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and stay away from the game. The game you remember is not the game that is running now.

I see you played SWG as did I. If C1 Lineage 2 = Pre-CU SWG, The Goddess of Destruction and on in L2 is the equivalent of the NGE in SWG.

If you played SWG during that time you will know exactly what I was talking about. Remember all the classes in SWG cut down to what was is ? 8 or so Iconic classes? The same think happened to L2. It had 30+ classes and it was cut down to about 8 classes. I can rant on and on about how bad it is now. Anyway, I will stop here. You have been warned.

PS- If you can not resist the urge to play L2. Try the Russian Server if possible. I heard the botting is less rampant there compare to the NA servers.

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

Can't speak for USA servers, but the server ran in Eu is ok. The population is stable. The game itself has changed ALOT since you last played.. and last you played was c1? Then its a completely new game for you, lots and lots of new stuff, skills armors, zones, boses.

I'm not going to bitch that they ruined he game, because imho they did not, the game has evolved, but for the best or the worst its up to you to decide.

1-85 is a breeze, you'll get guided every step of the way. Free gear, buffs and all.

After that... you are left to figure things out by yourself, that includes getting adena, gear and xp.

You can XP by doing daily quests, meaning you log in, finish a few quests, get your faily dose of xp and log off.

Additionaly after that you can go grind mobs to xp, atleast in Eu server there will always be a group thats grinding, and if there aint one, make a room it will fill up in a matter of minutes.

Join a clan and you'll have pvp, but since almost all of he 85+ stuff is group based, joining a war heavy clan could be very hard on you.

In fact people are so afraid of getting killed and losing a spot, that if say two partys meet, and you have people from YOUR clan on the opposite party. The rule is party>clan, so you will still end up fighting  with your clanny for a pve spot or boss :P

Anyway theres no fricking way you can advance solo past 85+ even the mentioned daily quests are group based. You main income of adena will be lucky drops. You will gear up from the lucky drops or /sell them and buy  gear from "player auction"

I don't think you even had 2nd class change during c1 neither 3rd not 4th, so you have those now. Neither nobbless nor hero status, so its pointless telling you how they changed stuff around.

Party size has changed from 9 to 7

Well anyway, unless you have a few friends to go play with you will lose interest just like before, as with any other game it has "that" to keep you playing for a week or so, after that you either leave or take it up as "job" to reach max level.

I do know that the graphics settings can have a huge effect on it.

I had my settings up pretty high before, and was getting horrible lag consistently... with everything.

I looked it up online and found some suggestions that definitely helped, even though I didn't follow *all* of them.

- For one, keep all the advanced effects off (outfocus effect, full screen glow, etc)

- Keep anti-aliasing turned off (it seems to conflict with GPUs)

- Keep reflections low or off

- Keep your terrain and player draw distance to "average".

... I think those are the major ones. I can tell you disabling those things made a very significant difference for me. It went from near slide-show in some places (namely towns), to smooth control and relatively little lag almost everywhere.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

I started playing a few days ago with my Warcryer. I am really enjoying it. Yes a lot has changed in the game. But my enjoyment factor is still high with it as it was some years ago. And yep the botters will always be a problem in Lineage 2. Always was and always will be. We're not tied to a monthly subscription now, so why not just download it and give it a go. See for yourself if the game is for you.

Best of luck!

Jinxys

Originally posted by Tinkerballer

To the OP. Lineage 2 was a beautiful game. Now, it is just a haven for bot pvp. He who runs the best scripts wins.

If you wish to compete at the highest level, it will take you about 3-6 months of 24/7 bot leveling to hit max level. You will  have to spend alot of cash on XP runes to boost your XP rate. If you do not want to do that, then it will definitely take you longer. As far as gear goes, you will need to join a top clan and get to the top of their loot list to get boss jewels. You absolutely need to min/max your toon to truly compete against the top players. I do not recommend Lineage 2 at this time.

Notably, this only matters if you're playing "that version" of L2.

People who have no intention of doing end-game PvP or anything like that needn't worry about any of that.

Do not let the 6 days to level 85 fool you. That is under optimum conditions and the purchasing of premium items. I got to level 85 in 3 days but I think the XP boosts have changed since I quit . The grind starts at 85.

Again, only matters if getting to level cap quickly to compete at the end-game is what someone's looking for.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and stay away from the game. The game you remember is not the game that is running now.

I beg to differ. I just posted on the previous page how I'm not partaking in all the new stuff they've introduced. I don't use the Path of Awakening items, I don't use mentoring, I'm not power-leveling at all. I'm approaching the game exactly as I used to. And, although some things can't be helped (such as the increased xp rate and vitality making you level faster, regardless), it's quite close to feeling just like the old L2 for me.

If you played SWG during that time you will know exactly what I was talking about. Remember all the classes in SWG cut down to what was is ? 8 or so Iconic classes? The same think happened to L2. It had 30+ classes and it was cut down to about 8 classes. I can rant on and on about how bad it is now. Anyway, I will stop here. You have been warned.
    They've begun reverting this. They're bringing back the increased individual classes, as many people spoke out against the Awakened Class thing. I agree, it was a  terrible idea and I'm glad they're doing what they can to un-do it.

PS- If you can not resist the urge to play L2. Try the Russian Server if possible. I heard the botting is less rampant there compare to the NA servers.

Or, if they're not looking to play "competitively", they can play on the Live servers and not worry about it.

I was told a long time ago, when I'd asked what the point was of buying and subbing to a game (this was pre-GoD) if you're just going to skip the content and race to the level cap - including being botted. The answer I got was "the people who do that are playing a different game than we are. We're playing the entire game of L2. They only care about the high-level, end-game stuff. So they want to get there as fast as possible and, yes, botting makes that easier to do". It's still pretty much the same now. It all comes down to which "version" of L2 you're looking to play.

• TinkerballerTinkerballer Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Tinkerballer

Notably, this only matters if you're playing "that version" of L2.

People who have no intention of doing end-game PvP or anything like that needn't worry about any of that.

Again, only matters if getting to level cap quickly to compete at the end-game is what someone's looking for.

I beg to differ. I just posted on the previous page how I'm not partaking in all the new stuff they've introduced. I don't use the Path of Awakening items, I don't use mentoring, I'm not power-leveling at all. I'm approaching the game exactly as I used to. And, although some things can't be helped (such as the increased xp rate and vitality making you level faster, regardless), it's quite close to feeling just like the old L2 for me.

They've begun reverting this. They're bringing back the increased individual classes, as many people spoke out against the Awakened Class thing. I agree, it was a  terrible idea and I'm glad they're doing what they can to un-do it.

Or, if they're not looking to play "competitively", they can play on the Live servers and not worry about it.

I was told a long time ago, when I'd asked what the point was of buying and subbing to a game (this was pre-GoD) if you're just going to skip the content and race to the level cap - including being botted. The answer I got was "the people who do that are playing a different game than we are. We're playing the entire game of L2. They only care about the high-level, end-game stuff. So they want to get there as fast as possible and, yes, botting makes that easier to do". It's still pretty much the same now. It all comes down to which "version" of L2 you're looking to play.

You are correct. But, I am also correct. When I first played L2, about 9 years ago, I played the way you are describing. But after leveling several toons to max level and having done just about everything that could be done, all that was left for me was endgame play. When GoD came out and NCsoft opened up brand new servers where everyone started from zero, I powered thru to the end since I had already experienced everything else.

If the OP wishes to play the way you describe that is fine too. I am giving him my experience with the game as it currently is. To the OP, I recommend Overlord over Warcryer. Trust me on this. That is of course if you really wish to play an Orc class. The OL is just a better buffer in many peoples opinion.

If you do not care about competing in end game, then just relax enjoy the game. The only problems you will run into is running into power players that are leveling their sub classes. Do your dailies, when you get to 85 do Kartia and all the other 85+ daily stuff. Goodluck have fun.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

Did you try posting this on the official forum?

so I take it the answer is "no".

I'll just submit a ticket. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo