Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to solo in this MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

This is the best sandbox MMO (every other one is a PvP call of duty deathmatch clone)...but, I want to know if it is at all possible to solo? Or is it 100% forced group?

Thanks. :)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I should add...

Of course I do like to group (It is an MMO after all). But I like being able to do stuff on my own too. Like being able to fight and stuff on my own if I don't want to rely on someone else.

From what I've been told, it is a 100% grouping game. Is that true? Or is it at all possible to solo as well?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well, all I  can say is "maybe'.

I've been soloing and don't really mind dying so "it's all good". My character has left the starter area before and I seem to have found soloing to be "fine" at "lower" levels.

However, I strongly suspect that there are areas where soloing is not viable. Which is fine really because it means there is some danger and if I wnat to go through them I'll get a group.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArfurArfur Member UncommonPosts: 2

It is entirely possible to play solo in Ryzom - I have been doing just that for 2 years.  It is widely accepted that the hardest challenge for a new - to - mid level player is to trek to all the regions (borderlands are the most dangerous).  I trekked solo in mid-level armour, on foot, less than a year after starting and that shows how viable solo play is.

Having said that, there are plenty of opportunities to team up with other players and the guilds are well set up.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hold the presses ( I know I am old enough so that means something)  !  We have a PvE sandbox MMO?   I've always wanted to try something like this but it seems most of them have some form of PvP that prevents this.  Hmm.... might have to try this game out even if it is older. 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Ryzom does have PvP, but it is flagged. There are also battles over outposts, or keeps.

One of the biggest activities in Ryzom is digging and crafting, and these are good to do solo. Exploration to find new mats to dig is a fun thing to do.

You *can* solo killing things, but most areas have a combination of predators and prey, and you mostly cannot kill the predators solo.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    As a new player to this older game I wonder if I would even be able to find a group?   I love the ability to solo, but as the above poster mentioned this is an MMO and I would hope to group up at some point. How is the community?  Helpful?   Is everyone at max level now and doing their own thing?
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

The thing to remember is people are not a "level", there are no character levels. There are only skills. So you can be a level 250 in magic (max), and still be 150 in healing, and 50 range. You can play in a 250, 150, or 50 group. Many high level players will be working on lower level skills, so finding a group is not that restrictive.

The best advice is to find a good guild.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Hold the presses ( I know I am old enough so that means something)  !  We have a PvE sandbox MMO?   I've always wanted to try something like this but it seems most of them have some form of PvP that prevents this.  Hmm.... might have to try this game out even if it is older. 

Yeah it has PvE, with nonforced PvP.

I joined, played for about an hour so far since I joined yesterday. I play games pretty casually these days, real life has taken priority. However, so far so good. Graphics to me are actually rather good especially since the game is kinda dated. And I love how the environment (animals) interact with your character, especially the very cute yubas (I think that is how they are spelled).

Community is (very) small but good, not very active on the island though. A few people in town is all. Usually "trial" islands are far more busy, but this isn't the most popular MMO anyway.

Solo wise, its definitely a huge challenge. Died a few times, but then I learn how to counter the animal. Magic to me is easier, but there is very few crafted armors (heavy) on the island and even less (medium). There is a lot more light stuff, so maybe that makes the difference.

Group wise, well...definitely way better for grouping. But I like the challenge of solo. Though I'll have to work on crafting, to make myself heavy armor because there isn't enough people to supply the island.

• SeirenSeiren Member CommonPosts: 89

Completing all the missions in the starter island gets you boosted 'ranger gear' which helps you greatly as you explore more. Also a nice amount of currency to help you buy a mount and a packer when you get to the mainland - so I would advice doing all the quests on the starter island. Plus it helps you learn more about the skills and become familiar with the game.

However, the real game is in the mainland and alot of the challenge is you against the environment, but help is not hard to find during peak hours. Joining a guild helps greatly, and reding the guild roster on the forum can help you become familiar with the guilds in game. Some have been around since beta, though joining a new guild is also advisable - you know, ask questions, team up and look for the one that best fits your gaming style.

It's true merchants don't usually have good gear, and crafters don't like to waste good materials to let it sit with merchants and not sell. If you need gear best to ask in universal channel for a crafter with the detales of what you need, most often than not there is someone that can craft what you need.

Solo, yes I would say you can do plenty solo - with proper gear and once you learn how to scout and know your prey, absolutely. Even if you play two characters at once you can survive the hardest places like the prime roots, but it takes time to learn these skills. Also you will never have crafting in part with your skill levels, there are just too many skills and too many items to craft, and while you focus in one line of crafting, eventually that line splits up into other parts at higher levels. Same for all skills. So one always needs help with gear, but you can do it all eventually... in a few years. :)

The fun is trying to get your masters in all the skills, now that is a real challenge. It takes time and lots of patience, sometimes even taking a long break from the game and going back. And to this day I don't think anyone has earned that rank. have fun in game!