Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finnally a Space Combat Sandbox MMO

GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Since SWG ive been waiting for a good space combat sandbox,   Cant wait for this game .

The only issues I see is that it appears to have quite a lot of cinematics which means it might have a story , and stories usually are themeparky .

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

I haven't done a lot of research on this game, so I could be wrong...

The main issue I see with this game is that it seems pay 2 win. $100's of dollars for space ships and hanger upgrades ect, before launch.... No thank you.

--------------------------------------------
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Wellspring

The main issue I see with this game is that it seems pay 2 win. $100's of dollars for space ships and hanger upgrades ect, before launch.... No thank you.

Wrong. Go research stuff before concluding randomly.

• ptifouptifou Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by skyline385

Maybe you could enlighten us and show some links proving your... statement ?

Thanks by advance

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by ptifou

Thanks by advance

Nope, you people can't even google? People here prefer jumping on the hate train instead of actually just using a simple google search to check the facts and i am really tired of trying to correct people's falsified views based on random conclusions on this site.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Thanks by advance

Nope, you people can't even google? People here prefer jumping on the hate train instead of actually just using a simple google search to check the facts and i am really tired of trying to correct people's falsified views based on random conclusions on this site.

Wow. Your douchey attitude has already made me think twice about this game. (And I play EVE)

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Not an MMO. It is a Space Sim.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

Yep, not an mmo. Never was and never going to be.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Yeah it's not an mmo, it's multiplayer game sure, but in no way a mmo. (Not in the true definition of the term.)

And yeah, adding that sky guy to the list of blocked egotistical forum posters after those two posts. One more down.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Grailer

Since SWG ive been waiting for a good space combat sandbox,   Cant wait for this game .

The only issues I see is that it appears to have quite a lot of cinematics which means it might have a story , and stories usually are themeparky .

I'm stoked as well...but this is way more advanced than JTL

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Like the only successful sandbox game in the past 10 years was a space combat one.... what do you mean finally?

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by lugal

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Yeah it's not an mmo, it's multiplayer game sure, but in no way a mmo. (Not in the true definition of the term.)

And yeah, adding that sky guy to the list of blocked egotistical forum posters after those two posts. One more down.

Hi, could one of you help me understand what the differences in a space mmo and a space sim are? Serious question.

And yeah, that dude is pretty annoying with his white knighting along with that other guy who has to make a new account every other day because of getting banned for flaming anyone who posts anything negative about TOR.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Afro-Thunder

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Hi, could one of you help me understand what the differences in a space mmo and a space sim are? Serious question.

And yeah, that dude is pretty annoying with his white knighting along with that other guy who has to make a new account every other day because of getting banned for flaming anyone who posts anything negative about TOR.

Freelancer= space sim

Eve online= space mmo

Freelance was a exploration/mission running space sim that had an online multiplayer. Eve is all things mmo in a futuristic setting/

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24

Well I see more issues.

Number one issue is that you don't know what the game will look like, because you have no idea, because you do not play it yet.

And number two issue is amazing lot of people already "invested" cash in this game. Which means they will have demands. I think I do not have to explain what this means.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Just to be clear. SC is going to be both a space combat game and have MMO elements. Those MMO elements have not been fully fleshed out but some are the ability to land and walk around/interact on planetary surfaces. From what I understand, it will be mostly at the star ports which are to be pretty detailed.

It is not going to be solely a traditional MMO however. There are single player elements to the game in which you never have to play those MMO locations. However, it will allow you to play as to how you prefer.

IF RSI can accomplish all they  are promising, the game will be somewhat like Freelancer with the potential for heavy MMO interaction both in space and on the ground. Since only the "Hangar" has been released to supporters, there is very little that can be gleaned as to what they will or will not be able to do. By the way and for what it is worth, the Hangar so far looks pretty awesome for what it is....a tech demo of what the game should look like.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Gruug

Just to be clear. SC is going to be both a space combat game and have MMO elements. Those MMO elements have not been fully fleshed out but some are the ability to land and walk around/interact on planetary surfaces. From what I understand, it will be mostly at the star ports which are to be pretty detailed.

It is not going to be solely a traditional MMO however. There are single player elements to the game in which you never have to play those MMO locations. However, it will allow you to play as to how you prefer.

IF RSI can accomplish all they  are promising, the game will be somewhat like Freelancer with the potential for heavy MMO interaction both in space and on the ground. Since only the "Hangar" has been released to supporters, there is very little that can be gleaned as to what they will or will not be able to do. By the way and for what it is worth, the Hangar so far looks pretty awesome for what it is....a tech demo of what the game should look like.

Kudos on a well written informative post.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

*Sarcasm*

Surely you cant be serious

*/Sarcasm*

Did you miss the launch of EVE Online? Or even the launches of Taikodom and Black Prophecy Tactics(Well its not out yet but it will be soon)?

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Freelancer= space sim

Eve online= space mmo

Freelance was a exploration/mission running space sim that had an online multiplayer. Eve is all things mmo in a futuristic setting/

Incorrect.

Space sims and mmos are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Space sim just means it is a starship simulator type of game, in which EVE is; it just NOT a "starfighter" sim is all.

MMOs  just means there is a lot of players in the same instance of a gaming world at the same time (a lot as in wayyyyy more than 30 or 50), and that the instances are NOT privately hosted (private as in a couple of friend's sessions).

Star Citizen is not an MMO (as of current understanding) because of that above definition.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Freelancer= space sim

Eve online= space mmo

Incorrect.

Space sims and mmos are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Space sim just means it is a starship simulator type of game, in which EVE is; it just NOT a "starfighter" sim is all.

MMOs  just means there is a lot of players in the same instance of a gaming world at the same time (a lot as in wayyyyy more than 30 or 50), and that the instances are NOT privately hosted (private as in a couple of friend's sessions).

Star Citizen is not an MMO (as of current understanding) because of that above definition.

Direct Quote from Wikipedia:

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games or web browser-based games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world or science-fiction world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player online RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game.

MMORPGs are played throughout the world. Worldwide revenues for MMORPGs exceeded half a billion dollars in 2005,[1] and Western revenues exceeded US$1 billion in 2006.[2] In 2008, Western consumer spending on subscription MMOGs grew to $1.4 billion.[3] World of Warcraft, a popular MMORPG, has more than 8 million subscribers as of March 2013.[4] Star Wars: The Old Republic, released in 2011, became the world's 'Fastest-Growing MMO Ever' after gaining 1 million subscribers within the first three days of its launch.[5][6]

So yes Star Citizen is by definition a MMO. Denying it will not change what it is.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

SC is a space sim. You can play it as a single player (Squadron 42) offline. You can play it as a co-op game with friends on your privat server, with your own rulesets and you can play it as a MMO(though not a tradissional one) in the Presistant Universe = PU.

Your char does not lvl skills, its you who hase to get skilled flying the ship to be better then the others (like in a FPS). It is not P2W bacause the rock-paper-scissors system takes care of that.

So no matter how big your ship is there is allways a counterpart. If you have capital ship you need a) fill up the crewmebers 10+ to even fly and operate that ship b) the crew you hire has to be skilled to be effective c)you need cash (ingame) to run such a ship, fuel, munitions, loan for the crew member and much more, this will be not cheep. If you get all of that you still not invincible, there are bombers with torpedos that can spoil the fun of such a massive ship.

The game is fully funded by crowed funding at $23 million. ATM we are at $22,924,471. So if there are ppl that want to get the game cheaper then on the release, want to have alpha and beta access there are 8,514 slots left. After that there is no chance to play the dogfight module in december.

For the ppl who are worried, that the backers have too much influence on the game, I can tell you that Chris Roberts is creating a game he wants to play. He has a vision and he will stick to that. He is open to new imputs but if it dosen't mach his vision it won't happen. He makes the game for himself and we can play it aswell if we like.

There is much more to this game but if you are intressted you got to get off you lazy butt's and read all the info on https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52

You should check Elite: Dangerous,  it will be very sandboxy and will have absolutely no cut-scenes, even landing on planets with full atmospheric flight will be seamless.

It will have dynamic storylines within a single 1:1 scale persistent Milky Way galaxy.

There is an extensive FAQ that explains it here http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

and there is also a section on the site here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/963/Elite-Dangerous.html

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    I'm guessing the draw of Star Citizen is being able to be a character (avatar) aboard a ship and not just a ship itself.  Not to mention all the avatar game play that will be involved aboard those ships (full ship interiors and boarding actions) as well as planetside small scale combat and locales (bars, shops, etc.).

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Thanks by advance

Dont posts like this just make you want to play with this person.....We enjoy nothing more than a know-it-all elitist.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Dont posts like this just make you want to play with this person.....We enjoy nothing more than a know-it-all elitist.

To be fair he didn't exactly come across as an elitist but someone who is exasperated with the lazy and ill informed, making wild assumptions, based on false information. I can see his point. What was your point?

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Theocritus

To be fair he didn't exactly come across as an elitist but someone who is exasperated with the lazy and ill informed, making wild assumptions, based on false information. I can see his point. What was your point?

So in other words this wasnt a discussion about a space combat sandbox mmo finally coming but a blank statement.  Isnt that sorta of think for twitter or something.... 

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Its an open world game, Not a sandbox