Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this legit or a phishing email?

2»

Comments

• RiversdaleRiversdale Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Definitely not legit.

It could very well be legit nerovipus32.

ArenaNet will send an e-mail when an attempt is made to log into your account from an IP address that has not been validated before. 

Here's the information about the e-mail authentication system

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9192/kw/Authenticator

And here is a post from way back around release when people were having problems getting their accounts hacked giving some advice on account security.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

And as for writing down that hard to remember password? I did come across this tip on a website.

• For maximum security make sure you are alone and close the curtains. Write on a hard surface - not on a pad of paper. After you memorize your passphrase, burn your notes, pulverize the ashes and flush them down the toilet.

I guess sometimes you can never be too paranoid!

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

When i moved to a different state i had to authorize my login in the new state even though i put in my correct password.

Its a very good reason to keep email passwords seperate if i were a hacker i could of authorized myself and deleted my tracks without the user never knowing.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Fake most likely. However you can tell by mousing over and not clicking the links provided, clicking will likely get you a keylogger or worse. If the urls and html are obviously not from arenanet, or if they are masking a fake email under an arena net thing you can detect with common sense.

Do not let others play you for a fool or you shall find shame, others looking down upon you in disgrace. 

Happy Thanksgiving~ <3

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by Seventeen

Greetings mate

I got the same email several times when I tried to access my account from a different network. Was that email something like the following?

A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 79.107.80.130
    City: Athens
    Region: 35

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

If you are certain this log-in attempt was not made by you, then someone else knows your log-in credentials and you should change your password immediately via Account Management.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this log-in attempt, please click the link below:

This mail was sent by : ArenaNet 

That's what I got but with a link to accept the request. 

well the mail is valid, but if you havent been in Greece the last days, then someone is trying to gain access to your account, actually already has the account and the password but the authorization system saved you ...

time to move to the Anet official site and change your password ...

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Agoden

It's probably legit, if theres links to the arena net / guildwars 2 website, go to them manually first and compare them to see if the ones in the mail are legit ( dont click the ones in the mail first obviously )

But yeah.. if your account was accessed from beijing, you'll want to go ahead and change your password along with all the other games and sites you used that same pass on.

I would just like to add to this and OP, legit or not, NEVER EVER click on some direct link in email if not 101% sure. :-) I will always log in by manually entering site address and then logging in. Just in case.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

This is Legit. It's also a warning. DO NOT AUTHORIZE that. Someone mentioned changing passwords, which is an excellent idea, but you should consider doing what I did... create an email address ONLY for GW2. I made a brand new email address and linked that to the account and never use that email for anything else whatsoever. I've never had an attempt since then. (I did once before I made the switch, which prompted the change.)

So, 

1. Change your password.

2. Create a new email address to use only for GW2, and never ever use that for anything else.

This should solve any potential problems.

EDIT: This doesn't mean someone logged into your account... it means they tried. The email is indicating they failed but tried, which means they have your email address tied to the account, hence the above recommendation.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou

Think about it logically:

It's asking you to authorize a LOGIN attempt.  Did you attempt to log in from anywhere but your own computer? If not, it's phishing attempt.

Areanet does not need your authorization to access an account as all digital property of GW2 including your account belongs to them. So anyone asking for authorization is not areanet.

Or someone managed to get access to my account and this is what ArenaNet has in place as a sort of hacking prevention measure. 

You need to smarten up my friend or one day you'll lose more than just a video game account.

You're the one who needs to smarten up, and you need to actually read and understand what this email is about, and what exactly it is asking of the recipient. This email is legit, and because it is legit, he should not click on the link.