Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serenity...

SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

May be a stupid question, but do you think Eve caught the eye of a few people with the new movie Serenity?

I'm just asking cause didn't SWG get a boost in members maybe when Ep III came out?

I've never played Eve but after watching Firefly I got to looking into Eve.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Sevenwind
    May be a stupid question, but do you think Eve caught the eye of a few people with the new movie Serenity?
    I'm just asking cause didn't SWG get a boost in members maybe when Ep III came out?

Nah... EVE is a complete unknown in the USA. It's slowly spreading by word of mouth but nah... Firefly/Serenity aren't gonna do squat for it unless CCP buys add space on the trailers.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• LegoBlockLegoBlock Member Posts: 3

I first learned of EVE when EnB was closing and wanted a new game.  I'd never heard of EVE, there aren't copies in stores, no commercials on tv, no posters or adds in game magazines.   I heard of it from a EnB friend that was joining (he's a Euro player.)

Otherwise, I would have missed out on possibly one of the best games ever made.  I'm sure there are many unlike me, that still have no idea...  makes me sad.  :'(

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

The only place where EVE really advertises on is online banners, most notably on this site, though I've seen them intermittently on other sites.

I have a feeling that if they rented out some ad space in a popular gaming magazine, we could see subscription rates soar a bit.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

The few people I know who play EvE in usa are like me, Beta tests. Which is a rather large community as we all know these days. Substanial enough I never realy met to many europeans on the time zone i played. In anycase I think it may make older beta testers think about returning, newbies tho... prolly not.

• panjitpanjit Member Posts: 153

Yeh, CCP doesn't seem to keen to mass advertise which is fine as the games pop is slowly growing skywards anyway. If they did put there new trailer on TV though (ala SWG) then im sure they'd get a dramatically large increase, its an incredible piece of game orientated film.

Trailer for those that are interested and havent seen already...

XL version

Normal version

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

I would definately say Serenity would have been a great movie to have one of those pre-preview ads for. It all comes down to the cost and likely benefit but I think it would have been worth looking into.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Really? EvE has had an aggressive advertising campaign. I saw their add in Gamespot along with Gamefaqs. However, I also saw Mu Online advertisements. But yeah, hopefully having achieved the rank of #1 in mmorpg.com has helped.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

However, they only advertise online. If they, say, take out a page in a magazine, it would actually be seen by more people because in magazines, it's kind of hard to notice an entire page devoted to an ad, especially if it's done right. However, on a web page, it's easy to dismiss a banner.

• lemuiexmlemuiexm Member Posts: 24

actually Serenity got me started.  I was getting a tad stale on CoH had started researching, thought something in space might be nice, and went thru the MMORPG list to see what was out there.  Saw Eve Online looked it over, thought maybe Id wait for Saga, went and saw Serenity and DLd the game the same night.

Having said that any space movie might have pushed me the same way I couldve put in Ice Pirates and been forced to DLd the game!!  The new Battle Star Galactica helped alot too.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Lemuiexm how do you like it? I knew about Eve but never have tried it and after seeing Serenity I kinda want to try it.

Haha I haven't thought or seen Ice Pirates in ages. That movie was so funny, don't know what I would think of it today. I use to like Mega Force from the 80s and after seeing it a few years back I don't know what attracted me so much to it.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• lemuiexmlemuiexm Member Posts: 24

I like Eve I like it alot it.  Alot of things I dont like about it but for me its a great game.  These are my opinions and keep in mind Im in week 3 or 4 of game play.

complexity - people say its a steep learning curve.  I dont think its that bad its just alot of information and options to be had.  The tutorial is around 3 hours long and you need to pay attention to every minute of it.

no grind - you dont have to run missions or mine if you dont want to and you arent going to get your skills leveled fast so no sense in spending endless hours killing unless you want to.  you will have to make money somehow but its up to you on how fast or how important that is to you.

Graphix - the background is gorgeous, the ships are nice even if I think some of them are ugly, space stations, asteroids all nicely done. weapons mounting leaves alot to be desired but weapons fire and explosions are pretty cool.

Missions - just like any other game depending on your personal taste you can burn out on these.  I find poorly equipping my ship makes them more exciting.

Mining - surprisingly non-interactive.  you pull up take a target and start up the mining lasers. However its great money so it doesnt bother me.  Plus I can do laundry etc while Im doing this.

Crafting - well if you ever played SWG then you have experienced the pinnacle of crafting where everything has variable quality and the craftin equation for perfection can be quite complex.  THis is somewhat below that, way below that but it kind of has to be easier because people do lose thier ships with regularity. 

Money - comes easy goes easier.

Corporations - (guilds) depending on what you want to do you can join one of the multitude of corporations via a website or in game recruitment channel.  Most guilds take any type of player and many have Newbie bonus packages.

training - its on a RL timer and some skills take over a month BUT it balances the game out and doesnt cripple you with ineptitude.  i.e. base levels take only 30 minutes to train.

PvP - This is where the game is However you dont have to if you dont want to.  You can live a full life in high security space.

Lastly I would say that many people get bored with this game because there is deffinately not an instant delivery of excitement like you get in other games.  You can however dictate your in game life with ease. Be a pirate (PK in other games), Merchant, Miner, Freighter, Fighter, etc etc.  If you do your homework and ask the right questions you are ready to go in under a month.

I forget exactly when I started but I have 2 cruisers, 1 destroyer, 2 frigates, a bestower, a shuttle and of course my newbie ship. I mine or I outfit a ship and experiment with it. Im in a great Corporation (Ominous Corp - check them out) and they help me out tremendously with equipment and knowledge.  I have since day one felt like I have a say in the corporation's activities albeit Im limited by my skills in what I can actually do.  They treat me like an equal and I do my best to carry my own weight. what more could you ask for.

If you decide to play send me an ingame email: (Valeria Wolf) and Ill help talk you thru the little I know.

• Originally posted by Sevenwind

Serenity was based on the TV show "Firefly". Yes it is possible fans of Serinity/Firefly would be intrested in EvE. But they do not even know about EvE. There are millions of fans of Firefly/Serenity. Almost none play EvE because almost none have heard about EvE.

No, SWG did not get a boot from "Revenge of the Sith". One of the biggest marketing flops in the history of buisness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! George Lucas used his connections and power to FORCE Ep3 to stay in movie theaters roughly 1 year! Yet there was NO SWG TRAILER BEFORE THE MOVIE!!!  Oh man talk about missed oppertunity!! EQ2 had a trailor in theaters. Matrix Online had a trailor in theaters. EQ2 had no movie to tie it in. MxO came out months tooo late after the 3 Matrix movies LOL! RotS comes out, and no SWG trailor before the movie! Sad, sad, sad. SWG instead dies even more. Shrinking from a high of 330k players to roughly 200k players. Pathetic!

EvE is a nice game. Serenitiy is a nice movie. But they do not have much in common. Firefly/Serenity's backstory is not the same as EvE. But since both take place in space, and if one likes space themes, then there is a tiny bit both have in common. But the same can be said of Star Trek fans, Star Wars fans, Battle Star Galactica fans, Battle Beyond the Stars fans, etc... Spaceball fans, etc..... all having something in common with EvE. 

Farscape and Firefly have much more in common imageimageimage

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

-DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Actually EVE did get some publicity recently.....

There is a story in PC gamer january 2006 edition depicting the assasination of a leader and the simultaneous looting of the corporations assets by a corp of mercenaries that had spent over a year inserting spies into the organization and earning their trust.

Its actually a very compelling true tale of betrayal and espionage that one wouldnt think was possible in the medium of MMO gaming.

give it a read.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• WillywoooWillywooo Member Posts: 4

I thought the film Serenity was great, so I went out and bought the series, which is ok, but its far too WESTERN LIKE for me. I used to enjoy SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND, it would be nice to have a game like that. Perhaps HUXLEY is the game thats going to get a few of us FPS type players into an MMO environment.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Paying a few bucks to put an EVE trailer into Serenity or even just on the DVD... hell have them put the trial download ont he DVD for Serenity :)

I guarantee that the number of players in EVE would more than double nearly over night.

EVE is a very solid game. While it is not my personal cup of tea there are MILLIONS of people out there that would enjoy it. And PC Gamer is NOT the place to advertize it. Sci-Fi Space Movie trailers would be the IDEAL place. Failing that a few brief commercial spots on the Sci-Fi channel. Especially during the 6-10pm slot on Fridays :)

I doubt CCP will do it though... they don't appear to desire a mass market approach to the game. Perhaps they're smart to let it grow by word of mouth... hard to say.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• razziellerazzielle Member Posts: 162

I haven't had the chance to see Serenity or firefly (although a friend has the season on disc).  I'm one of the few who learned about this by word of mouth or more correctly the catch of the eye.  I was in my friend's basement where we were LAN locked and a bunch of us were gathered around his pc to view something.  I caught the EVE box from the side of my eye and checked it out and since I had been thinking about leaving the gimped and insulting world of DAOC I figured this would be a good game to try and now I'm loving it.

And by the way I mean no offense to you Elnator since I see your playing it.  DAOC was a awesome game when I first started playing it but now the fights are almost one sided (I'm mid galahad and the mid of the cluster are so so few) and nothing gets me madder than when your ganked 8 to 1 and they spam emotes.  Mythic didn't really help the situation by adding even ruder emotes and quite frankly my emoter to kill list was just getting huge

• justo316justo316 Member Posts: 7

I saw serenity a month ago without knowing what it was all about. Then I watched the whole Firefly series....twice in a row....and then the movie again. I love it.

That made me want to find the perfect space trading/combat/sim out there. The jury's still out, but I'm leaning towards EVE.

• anduzanduz Member Posts: 46

Life in Serenity but especially Firefly has alot to do with spacetraveling, dealing with other people in space on a not so trustybasis and alot of trading of goods so in that sense they have links to life in EvE-online. But there is also that most of the action, firefights etc, take place between humans inside spaceships, spacestations or on planets and I belive the short fight between the reavers and the alliance in Serenity is the only real spaceship vs spaceship battle in the series, so combat is pretty far from what it is in EvE-online.

I have a few considerations about going back to EvE everytime I watch firefly, but maybe the reason behind this isn't so much that EvE is alot like life in firefly but that EvE is the only game that comes close to life in firefly.

I think it will attract people but not insane amounts.

• chewyy01chewyy01 Member Posts: 2

I thought that exact same thing when I saw Serenity. I thought the makers of the films were EVE-Online fans. Haven't seen the series though.
    And of course the fights don't resemble the game as it would of been boring if all the fights were in space. The last fight in space reminded me of EVE the most.
    And they spaceships looks a lot like the Caldari shuttle.