Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just starting AoC...

... and I've absolutly no idea what I should expect !

Go bored of Rift combat boredom and aweful questing. So far AoC is cool in Tortage. Does it hold it up later?

Go bored of LOTRO general slowliness, and combats. So far AoC is good too, dynamic and fun.

It's alright looking, challenging as a guardian, tons of rerolls and chat animation (and spam)

So yeah, where's the catch? Did I simply missed a gem or something? Does it just fell down in a few hours?

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Tortage was very good, but thankfully the game opens up allot more and less instanced. But many wll disagree and hoped the full game would be more like Tortage.

It all depends on what you expect from a MMORPG. Tortage felt to much singleplayer whileafter Tortage the game starts to become more MMO.

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

I want open space like LOTRO can have for exemple, so it's cool. I did know Tortage was kind of a tutorial, and it's good news if it opens up after

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Opens up? No it doesn't, it boxes you in like cattle after tortage, hell tortage is the most openworld aspect of the game I ever saw in my journey to level 25 or so. Unless you mean at endgame or something, the game basically becomes a corridor combat simulator after tortage.

The game was depressingly anti-open world.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ChaaK

... and I've absolutly no idea what I should expect !

Go bored of Rift combat boredom and aweful questing. So far AoC is cool in Tortage. Does it hold it up later?

Go bored of LOTRO general slowliness, and combats. So far AoC is good too, dynamic and fun.

It's alright looking, challenging as a guardian, tons of rerolls and chat animation (and spam)

So yeah, where's the catch? Did I simply missed a gem or something? Does it just fell down in a few hours?

Tortage is like a small, singleplayer rpg with an online mode attached. I love it personally. And yep, the game will open up very much after you finish your job there.

Questing remains the same, with less voice-acting (mostly the main storyline and the bigger missions have only, sidequests have not) but the same conversation system is there with every npc.

Combat will be a bit more dynamic as you level, with longer combo chains and two more directions to cut. Guard is a good choice for a first class, it's sturdy but can have decent dps as well.

Open spaces like LotRO... well, that's not there. Between the areas there are loading screens, and the areas are smaller than the ones in LotRO. But it's still decent sized, you won't feel claustrophobic.

Did I simply missed a gem or something?  Yep, just like many others did. ;)  But to tell the truth, after the launch AoC had some issues indeed... it improved a lot since then.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

just so you know, if you actually want to get anywhere in AOC, you HAVE to sub

its a good game though especially if you like endgame raiding and pvp.  I enjoy it still, but you cant take part in any of it if you dont buy ROTG and sub.

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Kasuhiro has no idea what he's talkin about ignore him
  • Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

I want open space like LOTRO can have for exemple, so it's cool. I did know Tortage was kind of a tutorial, and it's good news if it opens up after

As one who has played for years and still do, I can give some advices. Tortage was mean as a tutorial and a more traditional single player RPG gameplay with some MMO aspects. After Tortage, choices about where you want to go opens up more, though in some areas its narrow again on the way to lvl 80. Areas are diverse and you will get to vist most climates availible as you move further.

Areas made after the game went live in 2008 are the largest ones, and Tortage I guess is from 2006/2007 dev time wise, so its the one with smallest areas and most loading screens imo. After the expansion hit in 2010, the areas got even larger, so those are biggest today. One of them is possible to visit from lvl 20: Gateway to Khitai, and lasts for up to lvl 40ish. And there are three other zones to visit also in that lvl range.

Enjoy the game, that`s my advice, and don`t rush it too much, alot to see. Challenge might be that there are not always alot of players in the lvling zones, but get into a guild and get to know others in the game, that will help alot! I run a guild myself on Fury, so if you choose to start there, you are welcome to get in touch.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

its a good game though especially if you like endgame raiding and pvp.  I enjoy it still, but you cant take part in any of it if you dont buy ROTG and sub.

Wow, wow, I'm faaaaar from raiding and high level. Just enjoying the ride so far, and wanted to know how it shapes later. I mght sub if needed at later level though, as I did in LOTRO around 25.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Don't get me wrong, AOC is a decent mmo with great graphics and one of the best combat systems to date imo. As for the game being open like lotro, well you are going to be disappointed because it's a box and you have loading between each area like EQ2.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Don't get me wrong, AOC is a decent mmo with great graphics and one of the best combat systems to date imo. As for the game being open like lotro, well you are going to be disappointed because it's a box and you have loading between each area like EQ2.

I'm fine with loading like in EQ2, it's not game breaking for me.

BTW, what would you guys recommand for PVE and Dynamic combats? EQ2 or AoC?

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Wow, wow, I'm faaaaar from raiding and high level. Just enjoying the ride so far, and wanted to know how it shapes later. I mght sub if needed at later level though, as I did in LOTRO around 25.

yah enjoy the game, but they start putting carrots out there rather early (I think level 20) if you sub you can start earning AA pts, and offline levels.  Its not a pay2win system though, its just they try to encourage subs by giving valuable rewards

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

All AA progression you get till 80 can be gained in 1 day at 80  and offline levels are meant for experienced players to allow them to skip zones they don't like or are bored of.

That said, I just came back to AoC for a brief revisit and had loads of fun making the Americans and russians figh in global about who saved europe during WWII. Most fun I've had in a game since 2008. ;)

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

EQ2 beats AOC in everything but graphics and the combat system.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

Do not purchase the expansion at all unless you plan to sub. If you buy it and then unsub for any reason you lose access to 95% of the expansion.  FC has been raked over the coals for this F2P model but refuses to change it. Forcing a player to sub to access content that they bought and paid for previously is a  horrible way to go. As a fair warning it seems that for the most part AoC has been left to it's own devices and placed on the back burner so that they can concentrate on TSW and their other new offerings. There hasn't been a real update to the game in quite a long time.

Now having said that, AoC can be quite fun while you level up. Tortage is amazingly fun, even after the first few times through. If you go in expecting to have fun for a few months, you'll certainly have that and maybe more. As for myself, due to the restrictive F2P model it isn't a game I would readily recommend if you are looking more towards a long term game. It just doesn't offer anything worth subbing for that you can't find somewhere else.

Hmm alright. I have to think it through then. Graphics are not that important to me. I mean I've played LOTRO, and my eyes are still allright.

Do you have any idea about low and mid level population? Tortage was full of ppl

Hmm alright. I have to think it through then. Graphics are not that important to me. I mean I've played LOTRO, and my eyes are still allright.

Do you have any idea about low and mid level population? Tortage was full of ppl

Tortage will always have players. lvl 20-40 will have pretty much also due to people like to pvp and such on lvl 19 and 39 mainly. 40-75 will likely be slower in population I think, but 80 is where a big chunk is, but many have lower lvl alts for fun.

Depends on your chosen server, Crom is crowded all the way, but in the low and mid level I think Fury is ok as well.

Edit: sorry, missed the other question. For PvE most would suggest EQ2 (though I love AoC's story and quests). For the combat, AoC, hands down.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I have a general question sorry to hijack.

If you sub and if you are at end game and if you have the latest expansion. What is the content like, are the raids worthwhile, how long do they take? Are they puggable? Are Guilds active? If your on a pve server can you get an instanced pvp match easily and is it fun? Is end game crafting worthwhile?

Are funcom pumping out content at any decent speed for the monthly sub?

Cheers

Originally posted by Wicoa

I have a general question sorry to hijack.

If you sub and if you are at end game and if you have the latest expansion. What is the content like, are the raids worthwhile, how long do they take? Are they puggable? Are Guilds active? If your on a pve server can you get an instanced pvp match easily and is it fun? Is end game crafting worthwhile?

Are funcom pumping out content at any decent speed for the monthly sub?

Cheers

Can't cover all since I don't like Khitai and never was an endgame player anyways :) The others will fill out I guess.

are the raids worthwhile, how long do they take?  - AoC's group contents are mostly fun. I have limited experience (mainly Kyl and Vis and a few BRC) but based on the tier and the group it can take anywhere between 45min - 2hours. And of course they are puggable.

Are Guilds active? On Crom there are truckloads of guilds, especially now after the merge.

Is end game crafting worthwhile?  A crafting revamp is coming (ok, very slowly, but it does...). Present crafting is ok for the questing and for the base content, but no match for the grinded Khitai faction gear.

Are funcom pumping out content at any decent speed ...  define decent :)  (I guess the answer would be a No, or a Not really)

Originally posted by Po_gg

Depends on your chosen server, Crom is crowded all the way, but in the low and mid level I think Fury is ok as well.

Edit: sorry, missed the other question. For PvE most would suggest EQ2 (though I love AoC's story and quests). For the combat, AoC, hands down.

Thank you for your answer.

I might give EQ2 a shot then, maybe take myself in the EQ universe, to get ready for EQN. Damn, I came for AoC, and now I feel like playing EQ2.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

AOC is prob my favourite themepark MMORPG out there.. its a great game when you get into it.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by sacredfool

That said, I just came back to AoC for a brief revisit and had loads of fun making the Americans and russians figh in global about who saved europe during WWII. Most fun I've had in a game since 2008. ;)

So they merged everything finally?! Excuse me I gotta drop everything and jump back in RIGHT NOW, I bet the global drama is beyond measure

PvE in AoC is very nice also.No doubt about that. But in the end I guess it comes down to what you want to play? I never went the EQ way, so can`t answer for those games, but I really like the "near reality" feeling I get from AoC, as its low fantasy world comes to show in both areas, players, mobs, armors and general details.
    Originally posted by Destiny2010
    PvE in AoC is very nice also.No doubt about that. But in the end I guess it comes down to what you want to play? I never went the EQ way, so can`t answer for those games, but I really like the "near reality" feeling I get from AoC, as its low fantasy world comes to show in both areas, players, mobs, armors and general details.

I'm looking for something radically NOT Rift or WoW.

I'm sick of generic quest #356097. I'm sick of "please find the lost peasant", which is 100m away.

I want more vast areas, I want generic quest (guess we've no choice here), but well written (like Lotro, and so far AoC). I want, if not dynamic combats, at least some responsive ones (looking at you again Rift). I want a little bit of challenge, and I also want people chatting, you know, like the "MM" in MMORPG.

In LOTRO is so much feel alone, it's depressing. Never finding a dungeon, barely seeing people, chat is dead at best. Dead and buried should I say.

So yeah, russian, spam & all on AoC almost feels like people are with me somewhere hehe

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    I am thinking of starting it too (to pass some time until Wildstar and TESO) but i have seen most of the people (even on the official forums) say that Funcom has given up on the game with no content updates/patches or anything which makes me wonder whether they are gonna pull the plug. So, is it worth starting this late?