Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    I've sworn to myself I will only play again when they add day night change on planets, engine and graphics revamp and a full scale JTL expansion, and better NPC AI. And get rid of the immersion breaking loading screens plus deliver a 64 bit exe
  • KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    The game isn't doing terribly, I recently played a bit and I found the server to be very active and had no problems doing what I wanted. It doesn't have the subs of a new mmo but it does have subs- enough to say the game is doing well enough. It is definitely making a bit of money and imo wont be vanishing anytime soon.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     It will never become more than what it is now.  If you wonder will it ever have multi million people signed up to play then no.  
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by funyahns
     It will never become more than what it is now.  If you wonder will it ever have multi million people signed up to play then no.  

How many ppl does it have right now ? Last I heard it was 500k subs and 1.5 mil total. If they do space pve right that number will go way up.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by didjerama
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Husvik

Failing? It only failed to live up to the hype everyone generated about it being the next wow or some chit like that.

Had this been under the radar i believe it would have been deemed a out of nowhere success, it's not that bad and am sure it really appeals to some. They are adding some space update or something like that so it can't be failing that bad.

It failed player expectations.

It failed developer/publisher expectations (linked to player expectations -  based on developer/publisher generated hype)

dont really see what else could it fail.

Granted, the developers were completely off base as far as what they expected players to do. They thought players wouldn't go through the content as quickly and they thought players were going to play many stories.

Having said that (and their pvp failure) the game was EXACTLY what they said it would be. I wasn't even going to buy it but I had finished dragon age and thought "why not".

and it played exactly like a bioware game which is what they said it would play like.

No, players are their own worse enemy.

I remember there was a comment from the devs saying 'we're trying to make the combat epic". So what did players do? They didn't look at what the devs were doing they just filled in their own idea of what "epic combat was" and then complained and cried when it wasn't what was in their heads.

Between players' unrealistic expectations and the SWG2 crowed it's no wonder the game had trouble.

Do you really want to go to prelaunch time and revisit in what ways they themselves hyped the game?

Sure, in your example, when you talk about "epic combat" and deliver blatant ripoff of WoW combat..... And no, they didnt really show much of anything until open beta. So when you say "you should have seen ehat they are doing" you have to remember you could actually do that only 1 month before launch.

Sure, if they, as example said, "we are doing a ripoff of WoW combat" they would be shouted at at that moment, but do you think think hyping "epic combat" then deliver ripoff of WoW better? You really blame players for expecting, well, epic combat?

I completely remember the pre-launch days. I remember the video blurb they had of combat and saw what that combat was. And that's pretty much what you got. You say "they never said that they were doing WoW combat" and I say "they never said they weren't doing WoW combat" (if indeed it really is wow combat. I don't like wow's combat but I like SWToR's combat much more so something is different).

All they did say was that they wanted the movements, the sounds, the flow to be "epic" and they showed this stuff.

I remember the thread on this site complaining about it as well. Whole thread about it.

So yes I blame the players for filling their heads with their own versions of what they wanted to believe. Like I said, I played the game and it was EXACTLY what I expected. Exactly.

So someone was paying attention.

edit: or someone wasn't inflating what they said and took everything with a "grain of salt". Don't know what to say nothing was a surprise, the good and the things I thought were bad (but that I expected because "it's a bioware game".)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Failing? It only failed to live up to the hype everyone generated about it being the next wow or some chit like that.

Had this been under the radar i believe it would have been deemed a out of nowhere success, it's not that bad and am sure it really appeals to some. They are adding some space update or something like that so it can't be failing that bad.

It failed developer/publisher expectations (linked to player expectations -  based on developer/publisher generated hype)

Granted, the developers were completely off base as far as what they expected players to do. They thought players wouldn't go through the content as quickly and they thought players were going to play many stories.

Having said that (and their pvp failure) the game was EXACTLY what they said it would be. I wasn't even going to buy it but I had finished dragon age and thought "why not".

and it played exactly like a bioware game which is what they said it would play like.

No, players are their own worse enemy.

I remember there was a comment from the devs saying 'we're trying to make the combat epic". So what did players do? They didn't look at what the devs were doing they just filled in their own idea of what "epic combat was" and then complained and cried when it wasn't what was in their heads.

Between players' unrealistic expectations and the SWG2 crowed it's no wonder the game had trouble.

Do you really want to go to prelaunch time and revisit in what ways they themselves hyped the game?

Sure, in your example, when you talk about "epic combat" and deliver blatant ripoff of WoW combat..... And no, they didnt really show much of anything until open beta. So when you say "you should have seen ehat they are doing" you have to remember you could actually do that only 1 month before launch.

Sure, if they, as example said, "we are doing a ripoff of WoW combat" they would be shouted at at that moment, but do you think think hyping "epic combat" then deliver ripoff of WoW better? You really blame players for expecting, well, epic combat?

I completely remember the pre-launch days. I remember the video blurb they had of combat and saw what that combat was. And that's pretty much what you got. You say "they never said that they were doing WoW combat" and I say "they never said they weren't doing WoW combat" (if indeed it really is wow combat. I don't like wow's combat but I like SWToR's combat much more so something is different).

All they did say was that they wanted the movements, the sounds, the flow to be "epic" and they showed this stuff.

I remember the thread on this site complaining about it as well. Whole thread about it.

So yes I blame the players for filling their heads with their own versions of what they wanted to believe. Like I said, I played the game and it was EXACTLY what I expected. Exactly.

So someone was paying attention.

edit: or someone wasn't inflating what they said and took everything with a "grain of salt". Don't know what to say nothing was a surprise, the good and the things I thought were bad (but that I expected because "it's a bioware game".)

Noone was inflating what they said.

They repeated "epic" "awesome" and such enough times to convince the mob it was epic and awesome. When mob didnt receive epic and awesome mob turned to lynch. Its a natural order of things. They made their own bed and they had (have) to sleep in it so to say.

You now blame mob for being mob. I knew what they were saying and i received somewhat about what i expected, but for instance noone ever saw Ilum before launch and that didnt stop them to say it will be "most epic PvP evar". At least i expected something reasonable out of it, at lest bare mimimum, Mythic was working on it etc.

Yes, they didnt really show much of anything before open beta and in case of Ilum until first players actually arrived there post launch. It is their own fault.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

A game is a failure when it shuts down its servers like Warhammer Online (end of this year)

However on this site people have their own version of what 'failure' means.

As long as game is up and running with thousands of players playing and devs continue to churn out content updates, it is wrong to call it a failure (in my opinion of course)

Hmm, when something fails everything i (and most everyone else) should call it a failure.

Players expected exactly what BW/EA hyped and BW/EA expected to knock out WoW (yes they said so) Failed on both = failure, theres no other word for it really.

iirc minimum acceptable long term subs for EA was 1 million.

SWTOR failing 'everything' would mean servers too being shut down. But that is not the case now is it?

By same logic even GW2 is a failure since Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one. (his own words not mine).

Yes, if they truly expect to beat WoW and dont do it its a failure. Theres no really another way around it. I can say i want to run a marathon, i collapse half way. Im a success now?

Sorry but that is a bad analogy.  Both GW2 and SWTOR haven't collapsed yet and still have servers up and running. So the marathon is still very much on.

I agree, they still have a chance to knock out WoW and beat 12 million subs. You wanna bet on your horse? I sure want to bet on mine.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

A game is a failure when it shuts down its servers like Warhammer Online (end of this year)

As long as game is up and running with thousands of players playing and devs continue to churn out content updates, it is wrong to call it a failure (in my opinion of course)

Hmm, when something fails everything i (and most everyone else) should call it a failure.

Players expected exactly what BW/EA hyped and BW/EA expected to knock out WoW (yes they said so) Failed on both = failure, theres no other word for it really.

SWTOR failing 'everything' would mean servers too being shut down. But that is not the case now is it?

By same logic even GW2 is a failure since Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one. (his own words not mine).

Yes, if they truly expect to beat WoW and dont do it its a failure. Theres no really another way around it. I can say i want to run a marathon, i collapse half way. Im a success now?

Sorry but that is a bad analogy.  Both GW2 and SWTOR haven't collapsed yet and still have servers up and running. So the marathon is still very much on.

I agree, they still have a chance to knock out WoW and beat 12 million subs. You wanna bet on your horse? I sure want to bet on mine.

By that logic, everyone should just give up the MMORPG business. "You made a good game? Hell no, it's a failure because you didn't reach 12M subs. No, i don't care whether you are making a profit from it or whether the players playing it are happy, your game is a failure."

Same would go for non-MMO games as well. "Sorry, your game is a failure because you didn't manage the Billion dollar sales in the first week like GTA V".

Applying the same logic to real life, everyone in this thread is a failure because they are not earning the income their superiors/mangers at their workplace are.

Originally posted by skyline385

By that logic, everyone should just give up the MMORPG business. "You made a good game? Hell no, it's a failure because you didn't reach 12M subs. No, i don't care whether you are making a profit from it or whether the players playing it are happy, your game is a failure."

Same would go for non-MMO games as well. "Sorry, your game is a failure because you didn't manage the Billion dollar sales in the first week like GTA V".

Applying the same logic to real life, everyone in this thread is a failure because they are not earning the income their superiors/mangers at their workplace are.

You should at least try to understand.

When someone sets out to climb Mt. Everest and only comes half way what the heck do you call that?

Im astounded to what lenghts people will go around excusing failure.

You could have chosen different mountain to climb but if you specifically say "im gonna climb Mt. Everest" and manage only half way you FAILED, plain and simple.

When someone sets out to climb Mt. Everest and only comes half way what the heck do you call that?

You could have chosen different mountain to climb but if you specifically say "im gonna climb Mt. Everest" and manage only half way you FAILED, plain and simple.

Show me one article where the Devs themselves said that SWTOR will be a WoW killer and that their aim was to overtake WoW in subs. This is just another example of the community hyping the game itself and then blaming the devs for it.

Show me one article where the Devs themselves said that SWTOR will be a WoW killer and that their aim was to overtake WoW in subs. This is just another example of the community hyping the game itself and then blaming the devs for it.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/95460

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5848315#5848315

took 1 minute

Riccitello got laid off btw.

Plenty of more if youre interested.

Also some interesting stuff:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/swtor-is-eas-largest-ever-project

And one thing i dislike the most is players blaming other players when its CLEAR that its not players fault.

took 1 minute

I said clearly in my post "DEVELOPER". He is the boss of EA and will say stupid stuff like just so that the investors can keep filling his pockets, part of the reason why he got fired as well.

He also clearly said "I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over, but... We're gonna get a big chunk of [their market]."

The guy who isn't even a developer but exists only for big talk to please the investors said that they don't expect to topple WoW. What do you expect from the devs then? They have a much better idea of the industry and hence the reasons they will never make a claim like this.

The EUROGAMER link doesn't even have anything to do with what i asked. Don't post false links having no relation to the subject at hand. The link says the truth that the game was the biggest undertaking by Bioware, nothing related to overtaking WoW whatsoever, only that they expect to recoup the developements costs from subs.

took 1 minute

I said clearly in my post "DEVELOPER". He is the boss of EA and will say stupid stuff like just so that the investors can keep filling his pockets, part of the reason why he got fired as well.

He also clearly said "I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over, but... We're gonna get a big chunk of [their market]."

The guy who isn't even a developer but exists only for big talk to please the investors said that they don't expect to topple WoW. What do you expect from the devs then? They have a much better idea of the industry and hence the reasons they will never make a claim like this.

The EUROGAMER link doesn't even have anything to do with what i asked. Don't post false links having no relation to the subject at hand. The link says the truth that the game was the biggest undertaking by Bioware, nothing related to overtaking WoW whatsoever.

Sorry if CEO of EA is not good enough for you.

"We want share, we want leadership position here"

Sorry bro it doesnt get any more clearer than THAT

Oh, and ill post whatever i want, who are YOU to tell me what i am allowed to post? umadbro?

You WILL not blame players and community in attempt to make exuse for EAs failures. WHo are you, EA PR?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/95460http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5848315#5848315

"I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over" = It is going to be a WoW killer
    “Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” = It is going to be a WoW killer

That is how it works in your world?

took 1 minute

The EUROGAMER link doesn't even have anything to do with what i asked. Don't post false links having no relation to the subject at hand. The link says the truth that the game was the biggest undertaking by Bioware, nothing related to overtaking WoW whatsoever.

Sorry if CEO of EA is not good enough for you.

Sorry bro it doesnt get any more clearer than THAT

Again, i said Developer of the game. If you can't understand the difference between a Developer's perception of his game and someone who just manages various studios from the top without having any idea of what goes inside except for the deadlines, then i can't help you.

Also, he said "We want share, we want leadership position here" but he said just in the next line he doesn't expect it. "I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over, but... We're gonna get a big chunk of [their market]."

First you use a ex-CEO's quote over a Developer to determine how well a game will run and then you are giving preference to what the ex-CEO wants rather what he realistically expected from it. If this isn't biasing views then i don't know what is.

Originally posted by Gdemami

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5848315#5848315

"I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over" = It is going to be a WoW killer
    “Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” = It is going to be a WoW killer

That is how it works in your world?

You like selective reading much.

here:

"LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record."

as clear as bright sunny day.

You like selective reading much.here:We want share, we want leadership position hereLucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record.

That is not a quote, the actual quote is below the text.

Originally posted by didjeramaYES IT IS A QUOTE, its not like anyone can click a link and check it out themselves rofl

Quote:
    “When World of Warcraft came out, everybody thought, ‘No, the market is only this big, because that’s as big as EverQuest was.’ Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” he said.

(mis)Interpretation of quote above:
    LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record.

YES IT IS A QUOTE, its not like anyone can click a link and check it out themselves rofl

Quote:
    “When World of Warcraft came out, everybody thought, ‘No, the market is only this big, because that’s as big as EverQuest was.’ Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” he said.

(mis)Interpretation of quote above:
    LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record.

Yes, he is saying SWTOR is expected to have many more subs than WoW. He isnt stopping at mere 12 million rofl

Riccitello clearly said their target is "leadership position"

And those 2 were bosses at the time. Yes, big pappas.

You like selective reading much.

here:

We want share, we want leadership position here

That is not a quote, the actual quote is below the text.

YES IT IS A QUOTE, its not like anyone can click a link and check it out themselves rofl

You are still selective quoting aren't you? Saying what he wants for a game is a quote to be taken rather than the quote having his realistic expectations from the game.

Tell me one thing, everyone of us SW fans wants to experience a world like Star Wars where we can roam through galaxies and explore planets but we all know to not expect it in our lifetime. So are we all, including you, failures going by your example since according to you "wanting" something decides failure than "realistic expectations"?

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    From my perspective it will never recover , I just don't think it is any fun I can't really say why I just did not enjoy it. I was hoping the secret space project would turn out like jump to light speed from swg and that would have got me into the game, but what they came up with just does not interest me. Does that mean tor is not fun to other people or good for them nope I know some people enjoy it. Well just my 2cents. 

Yes, he is saying SWTOR is expected to have many more subs than WoW.

Then you still failing to provide such quote...you provided (mis)interpretation only.

All quotes provided have in common 1 thing only: "Expectation of SWTOR are big, how big though, that yet has to be seen."

The references to WoW are in relation to SWTOR story telling, they are expecting to attract more players to the genre just like WoW did back then, that does not imply any numbers itself.

It all can be summed up with following QUOTE:

“The opportunity is there for us to do that.”

No more, no less.

You just read more in their words than what they are saying, only because it suits your agenda.

Then you still failing to provide such quote...you provided (mis)interpretation only.

All quotes provided have in common 1 thing only: "Expectation of SWTOR are big, how big though, that yet has to be seen."

The references to WoW are in relation to SWTOR story telling, they are expecting to attract more players to the genre just like WoW did back then, that does not imply any numbers itself.

It all can be summed up with following QUOTE:

“The opportunity is there for us to do that.”

No more, no less.

You just read more in their words than what they are saying, only because it suits your agenda.

Thers no more or less to read.

ITS CLEAR AS BRIGHT SUNNY DAY

Then you probably do not understand what a quote is...

The way you read someone's words, does not make the person saying so.

Originally posted by Abimor
    From my perspective it will never recover , I just don't think it is any fun I can't really say why I just did not enjoy it. I was hoping the secret space project would turn out like jump to light speed from swg and that would have got me into the game, but what they came up with just does not interest me. Does that mean tor is not fun to other people or good for them nope I know some people enjoy it. Well just my 2cents. 

There is no question for recovery. It is doing well for what the game is. Except WoW, all other MMOs are leagues below.

1) EVE online's latest report said it had 500K subs. If you visited their reddit sub, you would have seen how most of the people agreed that such a high number is because of most of the people there having multiple accounts since you can just buy PLEX.

2) SWTOR's last report also said that the subs have stabilised at 500K with more than 1.7M new players under F2P.

3) Having played GW2 for over 1200 hours, i expect the same for GW2. The revenue is even less for GW2 because of lack of subs and only Black Lion gems funding future development. I have good respect for ArenaNet seeing how much content they keep on pumping even if some of it is fluff and temporary.

4) Other games like EQ2, Aion, Tera wouldn't even come close to 500K subs.

For what a non-WoW MMO is capable of today, the game is doing well.

This discussion has been closed.