Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by syltmacka
    mmos is all about the numbers man, the numbers. screw fun.

When people you started playing with start dropping like flies, developer lays off most of their core staff working on the game and you go through 2 rounds of server merges and F2P transition, suddenly game updates are not free even if you szbscribe......i would say it matters to everyone even tiny bit.

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I am so sick of you haters SWTOR is stronger than ever have any of you  trolls even played the game  if you have not played it in the last 3 months then don"t speak here 
  • VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    SWTOR is not SWG it was never was trying to be  GET OVER IT  .  SWTOR is from KOTOR and has no conection to SWG
    Originally posted by youvewasted2yrs
    (mod edited)

What 75k? Please show a link of ever me saying anyithing about 75k? 75k of what lol

Oh, and is that 3rd account you made just for posting here?

You have some issues.....

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Failing? It only failed to live up to the hype everyone generated about it being the next wow or some chit like that.

Had this been under the radar i believe it would have been deemed a out of nowhere success, it's not that bad and am sure it really appeals to some. They are adding some space update or something like that so it can't be failing that bad.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Originally posted by Husvik

Failing? It only failed to live up to the hype everyone generated about it being the next wow or some chit like that.

Had this been under the radar i believe it would have been deemed a out of nowhere success, it's not that bad and am sure it really appeals to some. They are adding some space update or something like that so it can't be failing that bad.

It failed player expectations.

It failed developer/publisher expectations (linked to player expectations -  based on developer/publisher generated hype)

dont really see what else could it fail.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by didjerama

It failed developer/publisher expectations (linked to player expectations -  based on developer/publisher generated hype)

A game is a failure when it shuts down its servers like Warhammer Online (end of this year)

However on this site people have their own version of what 'failure' means.

As long as game is up and running with thousands of players playing and devs continue to churn out content updates, it is wrong to call it a failure (in my opinion of course)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by VoreDock
    I am so sick of you haters SWTOR is stronger than ever have any of you  trolls even played the game  if you have not played it in the last 3 months then don"t speak here 

Generally speaking, games don't change with time.

For example, Eve Online started 10 years ago, but the gameplay hasn't changed significantly. 

What does change are the graphics.

For example, the gameplay / AI of X-COM Enemy Unknown has not changed for 20 years! What has changed enormously are the graphics and sound.

I may return to MMORPGs when devices like Oculus Rift become mainstream, but I don't expect the gameplay / AI to change significantly for the rest of my lifetime, - i.e. 40 more years.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Fruxy
    I guess there is no answer.  Fans want to say a dying game is thriving, and people who want the game to be better will continue being honest. I was looking for an answer, but alas, servers continue to die and no answers. Last weekend was an all-time low.  1 fleet during primetime, even with the 150 player cap (instead of 250 player cap).  My server is personal. I guess character transfers will help to keep 20% of the servers maxed out.  Too bad legacy transfers won't happen?  Or am I wrong about legacy?  I hope I'm wrong.  Then again I also hoped Legacy transfers were free since if was BioWare who told players to start characters on other servers when the population died last year. /sigh
    what "answers" r u looking for? u asked if swtor will ever recover. no one can predict the future and thats exactly what ur asking. the type of star wars game u want will never b swtor. they would basically have to pull a FF and just reboot the entire game. we all know that will not happen. if u like the game play it. if not then quit.
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    What really shocks me is the faith in a Dev and Publisher that has shown that they are on the wrong side of the hill....  Bioware haas no talent there these days.  The good people there have run as fast as possible as EA digs in deeper.  Bioware is not going to fix this game just like Mass Effect 4 will be horrible and so will Dragon Age: Inquisition.  There is no talent there anymore.  Why do you expect them to improve anything?
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

A game is a failure when it shuts down its servers like Warhammer Online (end of this year)

As long as game is up and running with thousands of players playing and devs continue to churn out content updates, it is wrong to call it a failure (in my opinion of course)

Hmm, when something fails everything i (and most everyone else) should call it a failure.

Players expected exactly what BW/EA hyped and BW/EA expected to knock out WoW (yes they said so) Failed on both = failure, theres no other word for it really.

iirc minimum acceptable long term subs for EA was 1 million.

Hmm, when something fails everything i (and most everyone else) should call it a failure.

Players expected exactly what BW/EA hyped and BW/EA expected to knock out WoW (yes they said so) Failed on both = failure, theres no other word for it really.

SWTOR failing 'everything' would mean servers too being shut down. But that is not the case now is it?

By same logic even GW2 is a failure since Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one. (his own words not mine).

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

So much hate in this thread. So much fear. If you give into these you will fall to the dark side of the mmorpg community.

Remember, "Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering."

If you wish to serve the light side say no ill against that which you do not like yet others do. Live and let live as long as it causes no harm unto others or yourself.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

stfu. mods please lock thread nobody cares about "swtor fail" my friends and I have been subs since day one and its fun to us. if you are still going on about this game "failing" then you need a serious reality check. you are just upset for whatever reason that swtor ISNT SWG and your old fucking brain get cant with the times, you prob compare every mmo game ever to DAOC or pac man or some shit... gtfo. swtor the game is in better shape than its been in a while and its one of the best mmos on the market,  so please do us all a favor and shut up. we dont care about your opinion. seriously the players of swtor.

mods need to lock this thread. your site is losing credit.. 

(( Haters : WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS A OPTION TO PLAY FOR FREE? THIS GAME FAILED! ))

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Wait lol, now it is a conspiracy....  LMAO!
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

notice i have only 37 posts since 2011.. its because i dont spend my time bitching about games I dont like.. i actually play the games I like. unike 95% of this site seemingly. Its almost like you bitches play a game for a hour then come here to complain about how much you dont like it.. then you read and trust in misinformation and post that BS also with your own beliefs trying to prevent the game from growing into what you fear it would be. a great game. you guys always bitch about not having good mmos but when they pop up (every now and then ) you dont know how to treat it. Its not uncommon good games dont start out with issues.. (( look at GTA online )) but you bitches are just hipsters. So I get it. Youre hipsters. Old hipsters. the worst. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    SWTOR is a good game, if u play it as a single player game with great online features. I used to be angry at this MMO at launch, then I took a year and a half break and now Im back - finding it quite entertaining if I play it as I described. Instead of hoping for changes which never will happen, I've learned to appreciate what it has to offer, though this is problably something that've come with age.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Granted, the developers were completely off base as far as what they expected players to do. They thought players wouldn't go through the content as quickly and they thought players were going to play many stories.

Having said that (and their pvp failure) the game was EXACTLY what they said it would be. I wasn't even going to buy it but I had finished dragon age and thought "why not".

and it played exactly like a bioware game which is what they said it would play like.

No, players are their own worse enemy.

I remember there was a comment from the devs saying 'we're trying to make the combat epic". So what did players do? They didn't look at what the devs were doing they just filled in their own idea of what "epic combat was" and then complained and cried when it wasn't what was in their heads.

Between players' unrealistic expectations and the SWG2 crowed it's no wonder the game had trouble.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Granted, the developers were completely off base as far as what they expected players to do. They thought players wouldn't go through the content as quickly and they thought players were going to play many stories.

Having said that (and their pvp failure) the game was EXACTLY what they said it would be. I wasn't even going to buy it but I had finished dragon age and thought "why not".

and it played exactly like a bioware game which is what they said it would play like.

No, players are their own worse enemy.

I remember there was a comment from the devs saying 'we're trying to make the combat epic". So what did players do? They didn't look at what the devs were doing they just filled in their own idea of what "epic combat was" and then complained and cried when it wasn't what was in their heads.

Between players' unrealistic expectations and the SWG2 crowed it's no wonder the game had trouble.

Do you really want to go to prelaunch time and revisit in what ways they themselves hyped the game?

Sure, in your example, when you talk about "epic combat" and deliver blatant ripoff of WoW combat..... And no, they didnt really show much of anything until open beta. So when you say "you should have seen ehat they are doing" you have to remember you could actually do that only 1 month before launch.

Sure, if they, as example said, "we are doing a ripoff of WoW combat" they would be shouted at at that moment, but do you think think hyping "epic combat" then deliver ripoff of WoW better? You really blame players for expecting, well, epic combat?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    551 posts and 51 pages of yah huh.  Nuh uh.    God I love this site :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

SWTOR failing 'everything' would mean servers too being shut down. But that is not the case now is it?

By same logic even GW2 is a failure since Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one. (his own words not mine).

Yes, if they truly expect to beat WoW and dont do it its a failure. Theres no really another way around it. I can say i want to run a marathon, i collapse half way. Im a success now?

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I think the "meta" of these arguments now days are F2P vs the world. Those that aren't F2P look to F2P as "them" or the enemy.

When you consider that, you realize what's really going on ... and I approve.

Yes, if they truly expect to beat WoW and dont do it its a failure. Theres no really another way around it. I can say i want to run a marathon, i collapse half way. Im a success now?

Sorry but that is a bad analogy.  Both GW2 and SWTOR haven't collapsed yet and still have servers up and running. So the marathon is still very much on.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

This discussion has been closed.