Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by superniceguy

They did well for 8.5 years, and the first merge / shut down of servers happened in 2009, that is 6 years after launch, and 3-4 years after NGE. SWTORs merges and shut downs happened within 6-9 months from launch.

SWGs servers are doing better so far,  SWTOR servers have to stay active until about mid 2020, to match the up time of SWG servers.

I am no fan of themeparks and I did love SWG pre-NGE, BUT

the swg servers post-NGE were dead for years when they started the mergers and closures. It's not that way after the NGE the servers were in need of merging, the servers were topped at 150 already weeks and on life support after Nov 2005.

It was because SOE refused to acknowledge the fact they screwed up and did not see what was happening for years untill they started doing it.

That's a big difference.

No, it is not that they did not see what was happening, they just concentrated on updating the game, instead of merges, which statistics show loses more players than not doing merges. After the NGE they added tonnes and tonnes of content, and brought back things they could bring back like CH/BE in Beast Master. Considering SWTOR was new, they should have concentrated on adding content instead of doing merges or going F2P, but instead they just decided to hold back the content they had, halted development on new content, and then trickle the content they had over the 2 years. That's a big difference.

Also the cities and resources in SWG made transfers / merges more difficult. Once they made it possible you could transfer resources, then came the free transfers.

SWTOR did not have this problem, but they did have name and Legacy name issues with a transfer. To fix this, they just then allowed everyone to have the same Legacy name, but it did annoy people when forced to change name, which was more of problem than SWG as SWG only allowed 1-2, or 3 characters for pre-NGE Jedi, whereas SWTOR allowed 8, and then 12.

The other annoyance of merges in SWTOR was that they only allowed you to transfer to one server, whereas in SWG you could transfer to any of the populated servers, and the 2nd free transfers allowed transfer to any active server, as long as not full.

In May 2011 there was 1 FULL server, but by June 2011 there was 3 FULL servers and all locked out from being able to transfer to,  with a 4th getting full too, then a week later they announce the shutdown of SWG in 6 months time, which is the strangest thing, because the game was getting more populated then - the 2nd round of free transfers made the game popular again. If it was because of the free access given out from the security breach, then it would have been wise to wait 1 or 2 months to see if populations would remain the same or go back down, but as they did not then they did not care whether game would still continue to thrive, as SWTOR was coming, and both MMOs could not co-exist, which seems to be due to the Star Wars licence. This is the main reason why I am irked at SWGs shutdown, because it was done when the game was gaining people, and everyone was enjoying the game, for the first time in a long while. If they announced the shut down in April 2011 instead of doing free transfers, then it would have been expected - even I predicted a shut down myself, or if they announced a shut down in Aug/Sep IF the game died again after June when the free time ended, SWGs shut down would have been easier to accept. Plus there was plenty of content still in the pipeline to come - Bounty Hunter in space, GCW 2 in space, (both made it into game) and Chronicles 2 (which got cancelled).

SWG was 5th best MMO of 2010: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4896/page/1

Servers filling up / getting more populated and getting FULL in June 2011:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/6/view/forums/thread/318569/Soe-closed-Europe-Farstar-and-Chilastra-for-FCTS.html

However, due to the overwhelming popularity of the service, and of a few specific servers, we can no longer allow free transfers to Chilastra or FarStar, effective immediately. Quite simply, the servers are full.

So basically SWG was like 3 servers FULL, 1 Very Heavy, the rest Standard / Light, 8 years from launch, in June 2011 (After this it all went dead as people bailed naturally following the shut down announcement, I made new friends in SWG too in May and June 2011, and they all quit SWG after the shut down announcement, saw no point in playing)

Now with SWTOR latest report it is 4 Heavy, 4 Standard, just under 2 years from launch.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

So basically SWG was like 3 servers FULL, 1 Very Heavy, the rest Standard / Light, 8 years from launch, in June 2011 (After this it all went dead as people bailed naturally following the shut down announcement, I made new friends in SWG too in May and June 2011, and they all quit SWG after the shut down announcement, saw no point in playing)

Now with SWTOR latest report it is 4 Heavy, 4 Standard, just under 2 years from launch.

Yes, yes, .... at time of SWG when LAUNCHED how many were decent MMO to choose? And how many are TODAY? Besides is also misleading manipulating with word "heavy". Once (technology is usually also old as at date of RELEASE of game and not survey date) that "heavy" could mean i.e. 1000 players at same time as max ..... today can mean 50.000 because of technology advancement.

In short ... swtor is doing great and I'm sure despite "haters community" will stay for long.

I can always understand lovers, fanboys, ... they are protecting what they love ... wondering what are "protecting" haters.

But I never like to see any announcment of shut down of any game ... as long as there is at least decent income. Same goes for SGW as for next condamned to death Warhammer.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by Masonic1
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by Masonic1
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Right now, there are NO official SWG servers running, because the whole game was shut down.

SW:TOR has 500.000 paying subscribers right now, and I do not mean the million+ free to play cash shop players, I mean real subscribers who pay a monthly fee.

NO. NO. NO. 

If SWTOR had 500k subs in August then they must have had c. 670k subscribers before they went F2P. Why? Because EA said that they lost 25% of their subscribers since going F2P.

And if they had c. 670k before going F2P then SWTOR's revenue from F2P through to May SWTORs must have been equivalent to 1. 35M subscribers.

Forget the fact that the servers must have been creaking at the seams EA execs were probably in breach of the law. Why? They only said that SWTOR was doing OK - but at 1.35M equivalent subs the game must have been substantially profitable in May potentially undervaluing EA shares and creating a false market - which is illegal.

The 500k was a blip; the result of EA offering Makeb at a discount to people who were subscribed. You might just as well say that SWTORs has 1.7M subs because EA said so just after the game launched - forgetting to mention that only half were recurring subs but hey they said so yes.

from what it looks like ea maybe has a little over 75k subs most people i know won't pay for anything in tor let alone $15 dollars a month.

and after the last week i've heard about 50 people say they are ending there subs and going to wildstar or back to a awesome game like the secret world.

From your swg decorated goggles its looks like swtor has 75k subs? Yeah I'm sure you are Mr. Reliable information on anything. You heard 50 people also keep a copy of swg under their pillow at night so that means they have your same desperation to lie about a video game you don't play. You enjoy secret world or wild star not sure why your posting ignorant comments on a subject you clearly know nothing about...75k what a pathetic desperate hater.

the only person who is showing any sign of desperation is yourself.

fact the tor servers haven't even gotten anywhere near heavy in the last month. fact tor started out with 1.2 million subs and is now down to 75k. fact go anywhere online and ask who what players like more tor or swg and i bet 99% will be for swg.

really tor is a dying game and everyone but you see's that.

Servers don't go anywhere near heavy?

Well, i guess than the star wars server page must be wrong since you seem to know more than the official server page, don't you?

Here's a site which measures server statistics. Look at the last 7 days

http://www.torstatus.net/begeren-colony/history/7d

But please continue with your desperate hate which you have sustained for over 2 years for a game which you clearly don't play. I am sure you think this kind of behaviour is normal. Here's a secret, it isn't.

@Maxima: I know you like this game and i have seen you try to defend it in the past few days. But seriously man, let it go. You can't reasons with these kinda people. They just aren't normal. If you like discussions, head over to the official forums. It's much better than this cesspool.

Few servers go heavy....for short time at prime time.

And thats right AFTER major content patch. Not that content is something to write home about (but thats anoher topic), but still for SWTOR measure its major.

On saturday i looked at population status of Euro servers at 21.30. ALL were standard.

Originally posted by daltanious

Yes, yes, .... at time of SWG when LAUNCHED how many were decent MMO to choose? And how many are TODAY? Besides is also misleading manipulating with word "heavy". Once (technology is usually also old as at date of RELEASE of game and not survey date) that "heavy" could mean i.e. 1000 players at same time as max ..... today can mean 50.000 because of technology advancement.

In short ... swtor is doing great and I'm sure despite "haters community" will stay for long.

I can always understand lovers, fanboys, ... they are protecting what they love ... wondering what are "protecting" haters.

But I never like to see any announcment of shut down of any game ... as long as there is at least decent income. Same goes for SGW as for next condamned to death Warhammer.

Vanguard/EQ1/EQ2/WHO/w/e also "stayed for a long time"

"Staying for a long time" means absolutely nothing. There are enough players in SWTOR, BUT it has basic number of serevrs (pretty much each language PvE/PvP/RP). If they mergeed all types to one they would probably get 1 server from launch/F2P relaunch.

SWTOR lost MASSIVE number of players after F2P relaunch, same as it has at launch - oct 2012.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by didjerama

"Staying for a long time" means absolutely nothing. There are enough players in SWTOR, BUT it has basic number of serevrs (pretty much each language PvE/PvP/RP). If they mergeed all types to one they would probably get 1 server from launch/F2P relaunch.

SWTOR lost MASSIVE number of players after F2P relaunch, same as it has at launch - oct 2012.

The highlighted red text is factually false.

Look up EA's most recent financials statements for proof.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I was there for (pre)launch, i was there for F2P relaunch, im in there now and i was there in between.

I was there for launch, i was there for F2P relaunch, im in there now and i was there in between.

Thank you for confirming that you based it upon your anecdotal evidence rather than factual hard numbers.

Like I said, I'm sure your subjective view point seems true for you but the numbers and facts say something else.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

I was there for launch, i was there for F2P relaunch, im in there now and i was there in between.

Thank you for confirming that you based it upon your anecdotal evidence rather than factual hard numbers.

Like I said, I'm sure your subjective view point seems true for you but the numbers and facts say something else.

http://www.torstatus.net/

Also:

6-7 instances of starter worlds then 2-3 now

4-5 instances of fleet (with higher cap) then 2-3 with lower cap now

extend that to all other planets

all for most populated EU server which barely reach heavy after major content patch and was full at F2P relaunch

yup, no hard numbers at all

your evidence is not evidence for what you actually want to measure, its like measuring lenght on weight scale

Also:

all for most populated EU server which barely reach heavy after major content patch and was full at F2P relaunch

your evidence is not evidence for what you actually want to measure, its like measuring lenght on weight scale

Not sure why you bring up a fan-site and your anectodal evidence again.

EA reported an increase for their financials after SWTOR went F2P.

But keep on posting, I'm sure you can convince someone.

Gdemami -

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    please lock thread.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Also:

Not sure why you bring up a fan-site and your anectodal evidence again.

EA reported an increase for their financials after SWTOR went F2P.

But keep on posting, I'm sure you can convince someone.

Uh-huh

few millions people that left (both times, not just once lol)swtor didnt need convincing from anyone, they did it on their own.

SInce you are not interested in finding out reasons for SWTOR failing and better games in the future i suggest you stop posting as this is not thread for you.

Originally posted by klash2def
    please lock thread.

why?

There is no way to tell whether the game is doing great, and EA keep spinning numbers which makes it unclear, but if it was doing great, then they would be more clearer.

What matters to whether the games is doing great, is the number of players paying, not the number of players playing. 

SWG was P2P all the way to the end, and people were willing to pay the money to it and the TCG (although I did not) and also have many multiple accounts (I did this though!). SWG was a cheap and inexpensive game to keep running, but SWTOR is an expensive game, and needs more revenue to keep going, but if people are not paying ...

I agree that no game should get shut down, but SWTOR is mainly a short played MMO than other MMOs that keep you playing for years - if that was not the case then 1.5 million people out of 2 million would not have quit the game within 6 months. Once you reach 50 and played through the stories then there is not much to do, and not much additional exploring or adventuring, unlike other MMOs.  SWTOR only has 2 paths to take with classes sharing the side quests, but LOTRO has 4 different paths to take, and the same with WOW has various paths too, and both have had many more updates and constant attention than SWTOR. The devs do not seem to do any live events or whatever. SWTOR is more of PvE single player game than a social multiplayer game, so it will not end up being too much of disappointment to a lot of people when it does close. In SWG people built communities and cities together, and went out hunting for resources in groups, there was many more social /event features for players to create their own events and content. When SWG closed, people mainly miss the other players and friends of the game than the game itself, as the game brought people close with its many social features. When SWTOR closes any other online game will easily be a replacement, especially Star Wars Battlefront.

If there are no more major updates after the space PVP update, then the game will die very rapidly

Anticipating a closure is a good thing, as you get in game, and play it as much as possible, and if you still like it and it does not close then it is a bonus, but chances are most people would have gotten all there is out the game anyway. But if you think the game is not going to close, and play the game casually then you may not have time to do all that there is.

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    No.  It will be stable enough for the game to maintain its IP until the contract expires, but then it will go the way of SWG.  Quite sad for such a promising game.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

Why the need to curse ?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

There is no way to tell whether the game is doing great, and EA keep spinning numbers which makes it unclear, but if it was doing great, then they would be more clearer.

What matters to whether the games is doing great, is the number of players paying, not the number of players playing. 

Wrong. I play with players that are playing not paying. But is true .... if not enough income (in any way) ... game will shut down.

I agree that no game should get shut down, but SWTOR is mainly a short played MMO than other MMOs that keep you playing for years - if that was not the case then 1.5 million people out of 2 million would not have quit the game within 6 months. Once you reach 50 and played through the stories then there is not much to do, and not much additional exploring or adventuring, unlike other MMOs. 

Khm. And what is point by point what will make somebody play for years? Can you give some examples of games that can be played for years and why swtor is not meant to?

Whenever I return to swtor, there is enough of players to get fast into any instance and have always something to do.

SWTOR only has 2 paths to take with classes sharing the side quests, but LOTRO has 4 different paths to take,

Swtor have 4 different paths for each of faction. I have 12 so far but did first 4 for Alliance and 4 for Empire. Loved every second of it.

SWTOR is more of PvE single player game than a social multiplayer game, so it will not end up being too much of disappointment to a lot of people when it does close.

Again from what you draw this conclusion? Not that I have something against ... only thing that matter for last 10 years aprox for me is only PVE.

In SWG people built communities and cities together, and went out hunting for resources in groups, there was many more social /event features for players to create their own events and content.

Ok, this could be argument .... but I simply can not immagine to play for years without interruptions any game. And same happen with others. At start you make friends ... but laters only few (at least by my experience from past from other games) you know from past will be there.

If there are no more major updates after the space PVP update, then the game will die very rapidly

I'm sure there will be more. Main problem with swtor is they wanted to much, have spoiled players with lush of everything voiced, with incredible twists, dialogs, ....

Only game I'm very positively suprised I have returned to this days is EQ2. Incredible game with so many things and small jewels that many newer put together does not have. And while I have forgot EQ2 for years, I'm happy have rediscovered again. And they have added voiced acting to main chains. I'm starting a new all. Would love to see improved graphics of environment but game feels still fresh.

So far all my gaming needs for long year to come are covered by Wow & Swtor and now EQ2 also.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    And the war between the SWG Republic and the SW:TOR Empire rages on......
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332

I've been playing now a couple of weeks and I played a few months at launch. What set me off in the first place was the WoW clonism, the unresponsiveness and other bugs and the lack of a vibrant world feel for a better wording. I like the graphics and I'm a star wars fan, the gameplay could be nice if they fixed the bugs, sync all the animations, castbars etc to make the game feel more responsive. The big thing is that some of the animations are shorter than global cooldown, so you just have to wait for it to pass and your character just stands there doing nothing for a half sec or so... With an engine overhaul it could be a great game and also the graphics options are quite hideous. Despite all this I'm still enjoing my casual stroll, it's still starwars and I'm nowhere near max level...

almost forgot: There have been quite a decent amount of people on the eu rp server though not on weekends...

Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    NO
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    [mod edit]

Nope....

To me there hasn't been anything good since SWG (including NGE)...but that's just my opinion.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    [mod edit]

Maybe if they release a new Star Wars sandbox game/rebuild swtor as a sandbox (yeah right) and not as a 3rd rate themepark with a awful engine meant for a singleplayer game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Wrong. I play with players that are playing not paying. But is true .... if not enough income (in any way) ... game will shut down.

Wrong? If you are playing with players that are playing not paying, then that is not great for the game.

I meant those who pay also play. I doubt there are players who pay and not play, except maybe keep a sub up I suppose.

People who play and pay = game is great going

People who play and not pay (which seem to be the people you play with) = game is not great going

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

This thread has been going on, ad nauseum. 

Just based on the title; recover from what? Financially? Players? Subs? 

There have been so many posts on this topic that it would seem that the community is genuinely split into the lovers vs. haters. This argument just goes round and round; the lovers cite the population, the haters cite their opinion. New content comes out and the haters proclaim "last stand, they're shutting down!", and the lovers play the "wake-up!" card. 

It IS interesting to note that SWOTOR IS on the minds of gamers, as the life of this thread shows (and yes, I do know that my post adds to the life - ironic huh?).

This thread, however, really should just be locked and put away in that dark little place that we all hate. You know the vault that I'm talking about: the deep dark recesses of "let's agree to disagree".

Based upon the logic on this thread the title should

Gdemami -

Have been 'will swtor ever recover from not being Swg pre cu / swg emu / swg 2?'

Gdemami -

This discussion has been closed.