Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

15678911»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

this thread is still alive? damn...

in any case, call the ambulance 'cause the rest of the mmos are still struggling.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I Love the Original WOW, but after Original WOW came out all the expansions gear grind Blizzard killed the experience for me.

If they want me to return they need to stop adding the gear grind, give me updated character models, and better default UI.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Well, folks as we all know World of Warcraft has been by far the largest franchise MMORPG for years now. Heck, they are even filming a Hollywood movie based on it now. But, over the past year or so cracks have appeared in the once golden cash cow and its numbers have fallen till now we hit 7.7 million. Is the WoW dream now over?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-world-of-warcraft-subs-fall-again-to-7-7-million

I played Panda as a Mage levelling from 1-90 and it was fun, but I jumped off the ride at 90 rather than hop onto the gear grind treadmill of endgame again. Why? Well, I feel I have been there and done that as a former hardcore raider of that game. It wasn't offering anything new. But, the 1-90 ride was a good one, but end-game raiding is old hat, really small group dungeons and content is they best way to go now.

So what can Blizz do now. They have an in-game cash shop to bolster revenue, but that is not enough unless they go free-to-play with a buy-to-win cash shop. What is really needed is another overhaul to make the game mechanics more modern and a large fresh expansion with more adult lore.

Peeps. WoW is in trouble now, I think, and only firm and decisive action can reverse its steady decline now.

As always, feel free to comment...

Oh no... WoW has 7.7 MILLION players left... It must be in trouble, omg.

(That was sarcasm if you couldnt tell)

WoW has more players than some states have people, I'm so sick of people beating this horse. We all know WoW is losing subscribers but at the end of the day they are no where near "in trouble" if each of those 7.7 people bought a 3 month card thats $231,000,000... WoW has LOST more players than some MMOs have ever HAD. This is pointless.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by monochrome19
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Well, folks as we all know World of Warcraft has been by far the largest franchise MMORPG for years now. Heck, they are even filming a Hollywood movie based on it now. But, over the past year or so cracks have appeared in the once golden cash cow and its numbers have fallen till now we hit 7.7 million. Is the WoW dream now over?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-world-of-warcraft-subs-fall-again-to-7-7-million

I played Panda as a Mage levelling from 1-90 and it was fun, but I jumped off the ride at 90 rather than hop onto the gear grind treadmill of endgame again. Why? Well, I feel I have been there and done that as a former hardcore raider of that game. It wasn't offering anything new. But, the 1-90 ride was a good one, but end-game raiding is old hat, really small group dungeons and content is they best way to go now.

So what can Blizz do now. They have an in-game cash shop to bolster revenue, but that is not enough unless they go free-to-play with a buy-to-win cash shop. What is really needed is another overhaul to make the game mechanics more modern and a large fresh expansion with more adult lore.

Peeps. WoW is in trouble now, I think, and only firm and decisive action can reverse its steady decline now.

As always, feel free to comment...

Oh no... WoW has 7.7 MILLION players left... It must be in trouble, omg.

(That was sarcasm if you couldnt tell)

WoW has more players than some states have people, I'm so sick of people beating this horse. We all know WoW is losing subscribers but at the end of the day they are no where near "in trouble" if each of those 7.7 people bought a 3 month card thats $231,000,000... WoW has LOST more players than some MMOs have ever HAD. This is pointless.

I love when people make this argument.  Thats like saying you invested 12 million dollars 2 years ago and now you're down to 7.7 million and dropping rapidly and you shouldnt be alarmed because 7.7 million is a lot more than someone who invested 600k and only dropped to 500k in the same time period.

Yes, the game, BY ITS OWN standards, is in trouble and has been.  I will bet my reputation, whatever thats worth, that you will never, i mean never, see another mmo breach 5 million players, blizzard/titan included.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Pardon me Sir, would you like a fresh bat for the continual beating of this dead horse?

Imagine that a nearly decade old game has slipping subs *gasp* and yet they still have what... at least 4x the number of their next competitor. Yep, I am sure ol Blizz and it's investors are crying over this with only money to dry their tears. They have long ago made all their investment back and I am sure any of their investors are still quite pleased with the revenue stream the game is still pulling in.

I am also pretty positive the Titan news will start flowing hard when the subs get too low.

Myself and quite a few other people I know recently resubbed, because really as far as quality and stuff to do in a game what else even comes close?

I personally liked Cata... now on the other hand I do not like end game and gear grind, but there are enough places to level and side game elements that I can still have fun and find things I haven't seen yet.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by Dauntis

Pardon me Sir, would you like a fresh bat for the continual beating of this dead horse?

Imagine that a nearly decade old game has slipping subs *gasp* and yet they still have what... at least 4x the number of their next competitor. Yep, I am sure ol Blizz and it's investors are crying over this with only money to dry their tears. They have long ago made all their investment back and I am sure any of their investors are still quite pleased with the revenue stream the game is still pulling in.

I am also pretty positive the Titan news will start flowing hard when the subs get too low.

Myself and quite a few other people I know recently resubbed, because really as far as quality and stuff to do in a game what else even comes close?

I personally liked Cata... now on the other hand I do not like end game and gear grind, but there are enough places to level and side game elements that I can still have fun and find things I haven't seen yet.

The highlighted statement shows just how little you know about investing and investors.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

The highlighted statement shows just how little you know about investing and investors.

Not that I'm a fan of WoW or ever was but investors also are aware of the market they are investing in.  It's no secret  that any other dev/pub on the planet would kill to have wow's misfortunes.  Consider even when it finally goes into maintenance mode someday  it will probably do so with 1M+ not the usual 10-50k.  I'll take that return on investment every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Resubbed last week... because everything else that comes down the pipe lasts no more than a month content wise and has no variety.

RIP SWTOR

RIP NEVERWINTER

RIP FF14

Originally posted by BMBender
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Not that I'm a fan of WoW or ever was but investors also are aware of the market they are investing in.  It's no secret  that any other dev/pub on the planet would kill to have wow's misfortunes.  Consider even when it finally goes into maintenance mode someday  it will probably do so with 1M+ not the usual 10-50k.  I'll take that return on investment every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You're confusing a capital investment with traditional investments which is essentially purchasing stock in a company.

What is happening with WOW is a terrible TERRIBLE thing for stockholders.  The goal is for your stock prices to increase, not decrease.  Otherwise you lose money on each share.  Just because you may have bought the shares at $10/ea 3 years ago and they're worth $25 ea now, doesn't mean you're going to just be like "Oh well, its ok that they're only worth $18/ea now because i only paid $10 for them 3 years ago..."

Thats how CEO's get fired.

- Friedrich Nietzsche