Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Competitive PC Games That....?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

(Note: I didn't post this under LFGame because I'm not looking for an MMO specifically, its just general PC gaming)

Just wondering if anyone knows of a PC game that:

1) *Is* competitive - has some sort of ranking, rating, ladders, tournaments, something.

2) *Is* cooperative - you can play with a team (even if the team is just 2 people)

3) *Is not* largely based on how fast you can click/press things - no CoD style FPS, no Street Fighter style fighting games, no LoL/StarCraft style click games.

4) *Is not* a cash grab - no paying for advantages like Magic the Gathering Online or basically any other similar card game ever.  I don't mind paying once, or not at all, or X dollars a month, but that's it.

So, among the tens of thousands of PC games, anything out there like this?  Thanks!

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    World of Tanks
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Does World of Tanks not require quick/precise FPS-style aiming?   I've never played it so I have no idea, I just assumed it was a "shooter" style game where how well and how quickly you could aim would be large factors.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Sadly you want World of Warcraft. The game is dead to me at this point becuase of the path they have gone down but for skill based strategic team based gameplay with rankings it is one of the best still.

It does seem that way Ender.  I promised myself I wouldn't go back but if that's the only decent option out there....

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Rift

Did Rift add competitive ranked/rated PvP since it went F2P?   I hadn't heard anything about that.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    You see the problem is that most competitive games require you to do something better/faster than your opponent no matter is it some Counter-Strike or a football match with your friends. And you limit that to just outthinking your opponent and yet even more limit with cooperative play. So that leave all one-on-one logic games like chess, solo games like poker or card trading games like MTG over the board. That leaves us with just turn based strategies like Civ or HoM&M (because yeap, RTS have that micro you don't want) or some weird rule sets of MTG like "Two-Headed Giant" but i'm not sure that they are competitive in a way you want it.
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    Did Rift add competitive ranked/rated PvP since it went F2P?   I hadn't heard anything about that.

*Cough* You reject WoT but embrace Rift that "*Is* largely based on how fast you can click/press things"? Funny that.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    There's nothing fitting your 3 points that I would describe as being skilled.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Some version of online chess?

Most games that fit 1 and 2 won't fit 3.  In fact 1 and 3 are the main conflicting points, as mentioned above competition usually involves some some sort of reaction time contest in games.

Originally posted by Newfr

*Cough* You reject WoT but embrace Rift that "*Is* largely based on how fast you can click/press things"? Funny that.

Not sure if maybe English isn't your first language, or if you simply didn't read my posts, but I have never played WoT or Rift, and thus never "embraced" or "rejected" either one.   I asked two simple questions since people recommended them to me: 

1) Does WoT have "twitch" combat ?

2) Does Rift have ranked/rated PvP ?

Pretty straightforward stuff.

Originally posted by Miblet

Some version of online chess?

competition usually involves some some sort of reaction time contest in games.

Yes, this is very true, most competitive game are largely based on reaction time.  I'm just seeing if anyone knows an "exception to the rule" out there. 

Not sure if maybe English isn't your first language, or if you simply didn't read my posts, but I have never played WoT or Rift, and thus never "embraced" or "rejected" either one.   I asked two simple questions since people recommended them to me: 

1) Does WoT have "twitch" combat ?

2) Does Rift have ranked/rated PvP ?

Pretty straightforward stuff.

You see my point was about that it doesn't matter if Rift has ranked PvP or not because Rift PvP is ALL about pressing right buttons in exactly right time (rapidly) in exactly right order and that what you were against as far as i get. But you didn't say "no" to that offer so it made me wonder what you really are looking for. Maybe i got something wrong but that's what's happened.

As for your questions:

1) WoT uses first person and third person shooter like aiming with some phisics involved (projectile has a travel time and some kind of ballistic trajectory). Can't say it's "twitch" since on levels above 5 fights almost always ends up with both teams seating behind bushes camping each other =) Certainly nothing near CoD, Counter-Strike or Battlefield. Well, kind of hard to explain but you can check youtube for gameplay there are metric tons of it there.

2) As far as i know - nope. Only that pointless in my opinion warfronts (analog of battlegrounds in WoW) grinding for PvP gear. And probably...maybe...some kind of Arenas in some distant future according to this.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Try Tera ^^

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Sure, Warcraft does match it but the way that game went will just turn you off again. 

LoL was going to be the one I recommended but since you dont like the click thing - nvm. Age of Conan may be worth checking if you havent before just because it sounds like you really enjoy PvP.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Does World of Tanks not require quick/precise FPS-style aiming?   I've never played it so I have no idea, I just assumed it was a "shooter" style game where how well and how quickly you could aim would be large factors.

Actually no, World of tanks is rather slow paced (All non-russian tanks move as fast as paint dries.) And aiming is honestly hovering a cursor over a target and a dice-roll determining if you hit or not. (Or is so un-skill oriented that it may as well be.)

I actually hated the game because it required no skill whatsoever on your part as a player, just a little teamwork, luck, and which team starts with more of the overpowered Russian tanks determines who wins.

Though yes the game is slightly pay-2-win. But not quite as bad as most mmos. You can't outright pay for a I-win button, just moderately overpowered ammunition and tank bonuses. (And depending on your views of pay-2-win, you can also buy your way to endgame in a week, or grind for two years and not pay a dime.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• akoutsouakoutsou Member UncommonPosts: 4

i disagree. I have been playing WOT since beta, and have never paid for anything.

Its not just about putting your cursor over a player and firing. Its about thinking about stratergy. what places to hide behind, what terrain to use when approaching enemy positions. What position to take when covering friendly vehicles as they scout.

You obviously have not been playing long enough to experience this. And probably got blown up like a noob.

Yes. you can be outgunned sometimes. But it doesnt stop you doing the best you can. Your team can let you down. but you can also shine.

Try WOT you will love it.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    EVE Online... That is all :)

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I think Hearthstone ticks most of those boxes;

1.       Has ranks, ladders and week tournament (though tournaments currently are not in the game)

2.      Nope

3.      30 seconds to play your turn

4.      Subjective I guess, a common deck can beat a more mature desk if played well and the RNG gods are on your side, all legendary desks are useless.  If you stick 100% to arena it matters not what cards you have as it’s a draft, it cost money or gold to get in but win 7+ games you earn enough gold to do it all over again (and then some), you’re also guaranteed a card pack for taking part or two packs for winning 9 games, what better incentive is there not to suck?

ofc HS is in beta and beta keys are gold dust, unless you want to spend $100 on ebay.

I thought about giving Hearthstone a look but the lack of cooperative play / teamwork turned me off.   I'll wait for HEX and give that a go, although I suspect like all other CCG's that both Hearthstone and Hex will be largely p2w, but we'll see.

In the meantime, everyone is offering MMO suggestions (which I still appreciate) but how about non-MMO games?   Something like a Civ 5 that has rated/ranked play?  Wargaming.net (the guys who make WoT) had one of the greatest online/ranked strategy games ever made many years back, called Massive Assault, but that game is dead now, even though they are still selling it last I checked.

Or something like Bloodbowl, which also has ranked play and deep strategy (but unfortunately no teamwork).  

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    How about Sancum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjMMQ6ozwBU does not have competitive but good co-op game
  • WoodheartWoodheart Member Posts: 8

I thought about giving Hearthstone a look but the lack of cooperative play / teamwork turned me off.   I'll wait for HEX and give that a go, although I suspect like all other CCG's that both Hearthstone and Hex will be largely p2w, but we'll see.

In the meantime, everyone is offering MMO suggestions (which I still appreciate) but how about non-MMO games?   Something like a Civ 5 that has rated/ranked play?  Wargaming.net (the guys who make WoT) had one of the greatest online/ranked strategy games ever made many years back, called Massive Assault, but that game is dead now, even though they are still selling it last I checked.

Or something like Bloodbowl, which also has ranked play and deep strategy (but unfortunately no teamwork).  

Maybe what I am going to say seems weird, but have you tried Yu-gi-oh? Right now there are a couple game-emulators (devpro and ygopro) that let you play the game with all the cards unlocked and there is also a 2v2 mode, it is also surprisingly active. They are not pay to win at all and they have rankings too. True is that it is not the best TCG ever...

Another option I see is getting Starcraft 2, but if you don´t like fast paced games you can try the arcade mode, which is basically full of player created content and some of those player created maps and play modes have rankings and are not fast paced at all, like Mafia, which is a social roleplay game kinda hard to explain it needs cooperation but is very individual. I know of some more cool games like Desert Strike and so.

I don´t know if you would consider Planetside 2 fast paced(It is definetly not as fast paced as CoD) although it is kinda pay to win as getting the necessary upgrades to play competitively is kinda time/money consuming.

I will tell you if something else occurs to me.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

This is kinda out of left field but Path of Exile will have some sweet fresh 4 month ladders starting up in a couple weeks.

Hardcore is a f'ing rush.  A great test of patience and awareness.

Click, Click, Click, loot, Click, loot, loot Click!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Number 3 really limits you to turn based strategy games which are few and far between.  I've been on the lookout for one as well and have come up empty.  Atlantica Online is a really good game but is the mother of all P2W games.

Now when I'm feeling competitive I play Super Street Fighter 4 AE.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Online chess?