Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Are we talking business success? Shouldn't production and maintenance costs be taken into account, then?
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by superniceguy

They did well for 8.5 years, and the first merge / shut down of servers happened in 2009, that is 6 years after launch, and 3-4 years after NGE. SWTORs merges and shut downs happened within 6-9 months from launch.

SWGs servers are doing better so far,  SWTOR servers have to stay active until about mid 2020, to match the up time of SWG servers.

Right now, there are NO official SWG servers running, because the whole game was shut down.

And even at its peak in 2003/2004, SWG never passed the 300.000 subscribers. SW:TOR has 500.000 paying subscribers right now, and I do not mean the million+ free to play cash shop players, I mean real subscribers who pay a monthly fee.

So no, SWG never did better than SW:TOR. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Granted SWTOR had more to begin with, but not any more. SWG stayed P2P the entire time, and always required a $15 fee to pay, the whole 8.5 years. Unless SWTOR picks up, SWG will do far better over all in  8.5 years time span, than SWTOR will do. SWG had solid support for 3years with 3 full proper expansions between 2003-2006, and then went into maintenance mode. SWTOR has gone into maintenance since about July 2012.

Also SWG had way more players online at one time in an area, as it had no instancing.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

They did well for 8.5 years, and the first merge / shut down of servers happened in 2009, that is 6 years after launch, and 3-4 years after NGE. SWTORs merges and shut downs happened within 6-9 months from launch.

SWGs servers are doing better so far,  SWTOR servers have to stay active until about mid 2020, to match the up time of SWG servers.

Right now, there are NO official SWG servers running, because the whole game was shut down.

And even at its peak in 2003/2004, SWG never passed the 300.000 subscribers. SW:TOR has 500.000 paying subscribers right now, and I do not mean the million+ free to play cash shop players, I mean real subscribers who pay a monthly fee.

Please show me where it SPECIFICALLY says that SWtOR has 500k subs...because as far as I know EA is very hesitant to show actual proof as to what the actual sub numbers are.....and if you bring up that conference call of theirs , need I remind you that FIFA is their most popular game and that SWtOR didn't even rank in the top 5.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Sorry you didn't answer the question. How are swg servers doing NOW? TODAY? Nobody cares how you think they did in '06.

Funny question, after they shut down SWG which was a far better and deeper game than SWTOR ever will be.

SWTOR was the reason for the shutdown, it's obvious.

SOE keeps museum pieces like EQ1 alive but the SW license was not renewed to clear the path for Biowares "masterpiece"...

The lack of logic in gamers these days. Sony had to pay both a base fee as well as royalties to Lucas. Now, the question is how much. John Smedly stated the decision was mutual. The numbers make that look to be true. SOE was able to lower the cost of the All access pass from 29.99 to 19.99 after SWG was let go. The all access pass works for all SOE games, so the number for the direct subscription to SWG was most likely even higher. SOE was likely giving up over a third of the revenue (before profits) for the license plus a base fee. The model was not sustainable if there would be any further dip in subscribers.

EQ1 on the other hand is a SOE IP so SOE gets all profits. Couple this with the yearly "expansion" most EQ1 players pick up. Means per player, SOE is generating some of the highest margins out there for EQ1. EQ1 simply provides a better ROI than SWG, thus making it more important to SOE.  In essence SWG was too expensive for SOE to keep going if there was any possible dip in subs, while EQ1 makes the most money per sub out there. Which one do you think most companies would keep?

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by orionblack

Please show me where it SPECIFICALLY says that SWtOR has 500k subs...because as far as I know EA is very hesitant to show actual proof as to what the actual sub numbers are.....and if you bring up that conference call of theirs , need I remind you that FIFA is their most popular game and that SWtOR didn't even rank in the top 5.

you have to love the biodrone logic. it's clear that tor is losing players left and right and it's clear that the game has a skeleton crew working on it thus no new content other then some cheap p2w updates coming. but the game is doing fine and everyone is having fun! we'd get more players if those nasty haters would leave tor alone and stop talking about swg.

ea doesn't care about tor really i dont think they will care about any star wars games. ea just doesn't care about the gamer they care about how much they can milk out of people. bioware is a sinking ship mass effect is over and done with after the massive failure that mass effect 3 was. dragon age 3 is already a laughing stock. my money is on ea just doing away with bioware after dragon age 3 bombs next year. and that means tor will be going bye bye.

oh and as this is going on? the swg pre-cu server is gaining more and more players. looking at the numbers we are seeing more people playing on that one server then tor has on one server.

swg is being remembered and loved by all of us tor will just be a sad footnote in gaming history and looked at as how not to make an mmo.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

When I was in the first month of release running around Hoth one night it suddenly occurred to me I had not seen anyone in at least 6 hours.  That was when I knew it was doomed.

Also I want my 80$ back.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Masonic1
    Originally posted by orionblack

you have to love the biodrone logic. it's clear that tor is losing players left and right and it's clear that the game has a skeleton crew working on it thus no new content other then some cheap p2w updates coming. but the game is doing fine and everyone is having fun! we'd get more players if those nasty haters would leave tor alone and stop talking about swg.

ea doesn't care about tor really i dont think they will care about any star wars games. ea just doesn't care about the gamer they care about how much they can milk out of people. bioware is a sinking ship mass effect is over and done with after the massive failure that mass effect 3 was. dragon age 3 is already a laughing stock. my money is on ea just doing away with bioware after dragon age 3 bombs next year. and that means tor will be going bye bye.

oh and as this is going on? the swg pre-cu server is gaining more and more players. looking at the numbers we are seeing more people playing on that one server then tor has on one server.

swg is being remembered and loved by all of us tor will just be a sad footnote in gaming history and looked at as how not to make an mmo.

How is Dragonage 3 a laughing stock? It is a very advanced RPG of a massive scale with an excellent engine. 

What are you talking about?

It has everything going for it.

Additionally SWTOR updates have been very slow, yes. But this has always been the case. They will fall with ESO and Wildstars arrival, or they will decide to release something massive, or do a re-release. 

We will just have to wait and see.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

you have to love the biodrone logic.

Me, a "biodrone"?

Man, you should check post histories before posting such petty insults towards people you don't know. But unlike some here, I don't live in a just all white or just all black world.

My computer is better than yours.

you have to love the biodrone logic.

Me, a "biodrone"?

Man, you should check post histories before posting such petty insults towards people you don't know. But unlike some here, I don't live in a just all white or just all black world.

yes.

really bro can't you see that it's already over for tor? it's been the biggest failure in mmo history and we should all be supporting it getting shut down and swg or an swg2 coming out. that's what the people want.

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

Well to all who enjoy the game, good for you.

Personally, I enjoyed few months after launch, after that, I realized just how pitiful Bioware/EA are in producing an MMO.

If there is one fact we can take from this is this: Wether you like this game or not, it will go down in MMO history of HOW TO NOT MAKE AN MMO. Plain and simple - and what does that tell us, is that SWTOR is just not a really good mmo, but its the only Star Wars MMO so hence, there will be people playing it.

Will it recover? 100% no - impossible - ONLY if a completely new team takes over, which wont happen...so yeah, SWTOR already had its high days at launch, its all downhill from there, enjoy it while it lasts if you like this game.

And one more thing - If all the dreams of a better Star Wars MMO are itching in our minds, you realize its only chance of that happening is for SWTOR to just die and shutdown. Wether anyone else will take a chance to make a star wars mmo we dont know. Yes, it may suck to some, but it closing down would not be the worse thing in the world, lets admit - and it most likely wont be missed all that much in the grand scheme of things.

K that's my opinion.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SW:TOR has 500.000 paying subscribers right now, and I do not mean the million+ free to play cash shop players, I mean real subscribers who pay a monthly fee.

NO. NO. NO. 

If SWTOR had 500k subs in August then they must have had c. 670k subscribers before they went F2P. Why? Because EA said that they lost 25% of their subscribers since going F2P.

And if they had c. 670k before going F2P then SWTOR's revenue from F2P through to May SWTORs must have been equivalent to 1. 35M subscribers.

Forget the fact that the servers must have been creaking at the seams EA execs were probably in breach of the law. Why? They only said that SWTOR was doing OK - but at 1.35M equivalent subs the game must have been substantially profitable in May potentially undervaluing EA shares and creating a false market - which is illegal.

The 500k was a blip; the result of EA offering Makeb at a discount to people who were subscribed. You might just as well say that SWTORs has 1.7M subs because EA said so just after the game launched - forgetting to mention that only half were recurring subs but hey they said so yes.

Originally posted by gervaise1

SW:TOR has 500.000 paying subscribers right now, and I do not mean the million+ free to play cash shop players, I mean real subscribers who pay a monthly fee.

NO. NO. NO. 

If SWTOR had 500k subs in August then they must have had c. 670k subscribers before they went F2P. Why? Because EA said that they lost 25% of their subscribers since going F2P.

And if they had c. 670k before going F2P then SWTOR's revenue from F2P through to May SWTORs must have been equivalent to 1. 35M subscribers.

Forget the fact that the servers must have been creaking at the seams EA execs were probably in breach of the law. Why? They only said that SWTOR was doing OK - but at 1.35M equivalent subs the game must have been substantially profitable in May potentially undervaluing EA shares and creating a false market - which is illegal.

The 500k was a blip; the result of EA offering Makeb at a discount to people who were subscribed. You might just as well say that SWTORs has 1.7M subs because EA said so just after the game launched - forgetting to mention that only half were recurring subs but hey they said so yes.

from what it looks like ea maybe has a little over 75k subs most people i know won't pay for anything in tor let alone $15 dollars a month.

and after the last week i've heard about 50 people say they are ending there subs and going to wildstar or back to a awesome game like the secret world.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Which goes against everything being reported about the game. So are you seeing what you want to see or what's actually happening.

Subs going up, people returning to the game, new content being added. None of that seems to say a game is falling or in decline.

0_o What game are you playing? OP is absolutely correct in that the game's playerbase let alone paying players is dropping regularly, not going up.

It seems your the one here that "wants" to see it succeeding. And not him wanting it to fail.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by maxima29

1.7 million new accounts when they went f2p. 1.7 million compared to 2.3 million actually is not the near death experience haters proclaim it is. Hold tight to your swg copy you have tucked under your pillow. It will be there for a long time cause swg2 won't be coming anytime soon.

Bioware announced 2M new accounts since going F2P on March 25th http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130321

(I thought it was in April making it more likely that the number of old subs was below 200k but we don't have the detail to be super accurate. Enough to say "doing OK", covering its day to day costs and imo making a profit. Not the type of profit to be had from 1M+ subs that EA said they needed for the game to recover its production costs etc. And in that sense SWTORs has already tanked.

Should also say that EA also announced that they sold 2.4M boxes as well.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by catlana
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Sorry you didn't answer the question. How are swg servers doing NOW? TODAY? Nobody cares how you think they did in '06.

Funny question, after they shut down SWG which was a far better and deeper game than SWTOR ever will be.

SWTOR was the reason for the shutdown, it's obvious.

SOE keeps museum pieces like EQ1 alive but the SW license was not renewed to clear the path for Biowares "masterpiece"...

The lack of logic in gamers these days. Sony had to pay both a base fee as well as royalties to Lucas. Now, the question is how much. John Smedly stated the decision was mutual. The numbers make that look to be true. SOE was able to lower the cost of the All access pass from 29.99 to 19.99 after SWG was let go. The all access pass works for all SOE games, so the number for the direct subscription to SWG was most likely even higher. SOE was likely giving up over a third of the revenue (before profits) for the license plus a base fee. The model was not sustainable if there would be any further dip in subscribers.

EQ1 on the other hand is a SOE IP so SOE gets all profits. Couple this with the yearly "expansion" most EQ1 players pick up. Means per player, SOE is generating some of the highest margins out there for EQ1. EQ1 simply provides a better ROI than SWG, thus making it more important to SOE.  In essence SWG was too expensive for SOE to keep going if there was any possible dip in subs, while EQ1 makes the most money per sub out there. Which one do you think most companies would keep?

Look does it really matter, all I can say is I played SWG longer and I had more fun than with SWTOR. Are there more people like me who had more fun with SWG and JTL.? Maybe yes maybe no. Who cares. I'm not the target audience of this new Star Wars MMO, period.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Fruxy

This game just seems to fall and fall and fall with no end in sight.

Fleets that were once popular with 3 X 250 players are now populated with 1 X 150 players (sometimes 2 X), the downsize is because EAWare determined that, as everyone already knew, their engine sucks ass, so to make the game playable, smaller numbers of players are necessary in any zone.  EAWare capped zones at 150 players instead of 250.

This is primetime.  I wondered if it was just my server, and http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats confirms my observations.  Last I checked servers were around 3.0+ or at least 2.5+ (TorStatus numbers) .. now they are struggling to keep above 2, with many servers in the dead region.  Europe is tanking worse.

So, can this game ever recover?  I'd love to see a 5 star Star Wars game!!  or even a 3 star game if I had to compromise.

I only see it is YOU haters failing to make him fail. Not sure how many of you get paid for shitting all over or just have own psy problems.

Swtor is doing fine, enough players at any area, no problem to get to instances, ... ok, can speak for about month or two ago, now playing wow and little from eq2, tsw, fallen earth ... but looking forward to return to that marvel of Swtor.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    It's failing or you want it to be failing.

I just see the population falling. 

Which goes against everything being reported about the game. So are you seeing what you want to see or what's actually happening.

Subs going up, people returning to the game, new content being added. None of that seems to say a game is falling or in decline.

Population can stay the same or even fall and Subs can go up.  Its very easy to fudge numbers and report semi-obfuscated statistics to make stock holders feel confident.

Originally posted by g0m0rrah

Population can stay the same or even fall and Subs can go up.  Its very easy to fudge numbers and report semi-obfuscated statistics to make stock holders feel confident.

And you care for this so much ... why?

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by daltanious

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203

NO. NO. NO. 

from what it looks like ea maybe has a little over 75k subs most people i know won't pay for anything in tor let alone $15 dollars a month.

and after the last week i've heard about 50 people say they are ending there subs and going to wildstar or back to a awesome game like the secret world.

From your swg decorated goggles its looks like swtor has 75k subs? Yeah I'm sure you are Mr. Reliable information on anything. You heard 50 people also keep a copy of swg under their pillow at night so that means they have your same desperation to lie about a video game you don't play. You enjoy secret world or wild star not sure why your posting ignorant comments on a subject you clearly know nothing about...75k what a pathetic desperate hater.

NO. NO. NO. 

From your swg decorated goggles its looks like swtor has 75k subs? Yeah I'm sure you are Mr. Reliable information on anything. You heard 50 people also keep a copy of swg under their pillow at night so that means they have your same desperation to lie about a video game you don't play. You enjoy secret world or wild star not sure why your posting ignorant comments on a subject you clearly know nothing about...75k what a pathetic desperate hater.

the only person who is showing any sign of desperation is yourself.

fact the tor servers haven't even gotten anywhere near heavy in the last month. fact tor started out with 1.2 million subs and is now down to 75k. fact go anywhere online and ask who what players like more tor or swg and i bet 99% will be for swg.

really tor is a dying game and everyone but you see's that.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

NO. NO. NO. 

fact the tor servers haven't even gotten anywhere near heavy in the last month. fact tor started out with 1.2 million subs and is now down to 75k. fact go anywhere online and ask who what players like more tor or swg and i bet 99% will be for swg.

Servers don't go anywhere near heavy?

Well, i guess than the star wars server page must be wrong since you seem to know more than the official server page, don't you?

Here's a site which measures server statistics. Look at the last 7 days

http://www.torstatus.net/begeren-colony/history/7d

But please continue with your desperate hate which you have sustained for over 2 years for a game which you clearly don't play. I am sure you think this kind of behaviour is normal. Here's a secret, it isn't.

@Maxima: I know you like this game and i have seen you try to defend it in the past few days. But seriously man, let it go. You can't reasons with these kinda people. They just aren't normal. If you like discussions, head over to the official forums. It's much better than this cesspool.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

NO. NO. NO. 

Ok I am going to need a offiical source for only 75k subs.

Also please show me any internet poll that has 99% of people saying that SWG is better.  I guarentee you can not get a poll saying 99% prefer SWG.  If you could then SWG would have never died.

Originally posted by daltanious

Obviously because I DO play Swtor and spend a great deal of time in game and know from 1st hand what game is and what it is not. With difference from natural or paid haters that obviously does not play and spend great deal of their lives in hathred toward swtor and other games as well.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I am no fan of themeparks and I did love SWG pre-NGE, BUT

the swg servers post-NGE were dead for years when they started the mergers and closures. It's not that way after the NGE the servers were in need of merging, the servers were topped at 150 already weeks and on life support after Nov 2005.

It was because SOE refused to acknowledge the fact they screwed up and did not see what was happening for years untill they started doing it.

That's a big difference.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

This discussion has been closed.