Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: The Next Great Starship Modding Competition Announced

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games announced The Next Great Starship Modding Competition at Citizen Con this week. A huge initiative for players to create their own epic spaceship to be featured in Star Citizen has massive cash prizes for the winners.  Read on!

The preliminary challenge involves the making of a fully designed wave particle cannon submitted via YouTube to a nine member judging panel including Chris Roberts and others from the CIG design and art teams, Crytek, and even some to-be-named celebrity judges. Those initia entries will then be narrowed down to a final 16 and one of the 16 will be voted in by Star Citizen backers.  Once all this is done, those 16 finalists will begin making their Starship entries, and beginning on January 31st of 2014, episodes of The Next Great Starship will begin airing once a week on the RSI YouTube channel.

Judges will then narrow it down to the final two contestants, who will then compete live in front of the judging panel during the final episode which will take place in Los Angeles. What will the winners receive after this massive competition?

• GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press!  As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 "Make the World your Studio" tablet from Wacom

• FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)

Read all about it over at the RSI website.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i have to give it to Roberts. he is one smart cookie. he's basically paying 30,000 for a ship that he knows he'll be able to sell to his (rich) adoring followers 1000 times over. At the same time he gets those same followers to work hard at making his next ship for the sole reward of feeling included in the making of the game.

regardless, he'd have to pay a regular dev 30,000 to make his next ship anyways, so why not get the fans involved and get to choose from 1000+ models instead of 5 or 6?

i say this is all fine and dandy now as the game is in it's most expencive phase (creation), but what's going to happen when the game is released and the huge capital is no longer needed? is he going to turn this cash machine off and let people have those ships for free? or is he going to continue selling "new" ships at 200$ a piece, and sell in game currency, and  sell absolutely everything possible in game, effectively turning this into one other Entropia Universe? 

and before everyone gets all hopped up on Entropia, much like SC you can also play Entropia without spending any money. however, in Entropia, making in game currency is incredibly hard and slow (we are talking months of grinding) and without currency you are besically stuck killing rats with a stick forever. This mechanic pretty much forces you to spend money if you want to do anything more than farm rats form months on end before you can afford to buy better gear so you can move on to slighly bigger rats (my worst fear with SC). 

it's been my experience that once a cash cow is turned on, it's incredibly hard to turn it off. i truly hope i'm wrong.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I may enter this...sounds fun.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    ... snip ...

it's been my experience that once a cash cow is turned on, it's incredibly hard to turn it off. i truly hope i'm wrong.

A great deal of this will depend on how the private server option turns out.  If it is indeed a fully featured replica of the persistent universe (as many are expecting, though I can't possibly see how it could happen) then CGI will have very limited options with regard to pricing.  Someone somewhere will set up their own server where everything is easier to obtain (it's already pretty obvious that there are a lot of backers with very deep pockets attached to this game already).

Pirates of the Burning Sea had a program something like this and as I recall it turned out a couple of the more popular ships in the game.  I think it's a pretty neat way to leverage fan talent on the cheap, while giving aspiring artists and modelers something to put in their portfolio.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

that.... is one hell of a grand prize for a crowdfunded game.

nice stuff, for real.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

This does sound like fun!

I like :)

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by jakin
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    ... snip ...

A great deal of this will depend on how the private server option turns out.  If it is indeed a fully featured replica of the persistent universe (as many are expecting, though I can't possibly see how it could happen) then CGI will have very limited options with regard to pricing.  Someone somewhere will set up their own server where everything is easier to obtain (it's already pretty obvious that there are a lot of backers with very deep pockets attached to this game already).

Pirates of the Burning Sea had a program something like this and as I recall it turned out a couple of the more popular ships in the game.  I think it's a pretty neat way to leverage fan talent on the cheap, while giving aspiring artists and modelers something to put in their portfolio.

PoTBS did have a program like this, user content. I made a few of the ships you mentioned for them...the Mignone east Indiamen, the dromedary west Indiamen and mystique poleacre. That was fun...got me into the Indy.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Very good idea.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Gryphon0468Gryphon0468 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Hi guys Veteran Backer of Star Citizen here since July 1st. Needed to soothe your fears about the ship prices relating to after the crowd funding phase has ended. It has been made very clear to us that once the game goes live, nothing will be able to be bought for real cash except for the game itself which is a one time purchase likely 60$, though that price is not set in stone. Currently you can gain access to the alpha/beta/full game as well as securing yourself a starting ship for as low as 40$ at the moment. The only thing that will be for sale is small chunks of in game credits for those without the time to gain lots of in game credits but who still want to play semi competitively. The amount of credits you can buy with real money will have a daily and monthly cap so as not to flood the market and unbalance the economy.