Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• DecisiveRaindropDecisiveRaindrop Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by freakishbean
    Originally posted by Razephon
    Originally posted by Policenaut

Will the Mark II - VIII Power Armor be available as customizations for SM/CSM? 

This question is in no way a thinly-veiled suggestion. 

I smell Cash shop options >.<

Srsly though, anything less than Mark V armor I don't really care about :p.

HERESY!

Seriously. I want some Mark V Heresy style armor. Love da bumps.

When it comes to customization - will we be able to place things such as scrolls, banners, tabards, runes, dangly bits, etc. *anywhere* we want on our character, or will it mostly be pre-posed stuff? I say this because, honestly, I want to see a marine with a completely laughable amount of purity seals covering every inch of armor.

He'd look like a pinata.

He'd look like a Word Bearer XP

Also...

Also also...

In terms of armor, I would definitely go with a Teutonic order inspired armor that champions and veterans wear. Most likely I will go with MK 4 helm with artificer MK 7/8 armor since I doubt that Teutonic order armor will be available. In a perfect world I would be able to get some Black Templar action in there with iron crosses everywhere and some red going on in the pauldrons :3 *sigh* A man could dream...

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

Will the Mark II - VIII Power Armor be available as customizations for SM/CSM? 

This question is in no way a thinly-veiled suggestion. 

It's a bit early to discuss exact customization options - but you can always take Space Marine as reference, what they had is probably what we will have for sure, and we want more, but I am not sure more will make it for launch.

How much of it and what will be in the cash shop is not decided either - but even for free players there will be plenty of stuff to make your appearance unique.

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

sorry if the question is repeated, but are you going to allow same faction figthing? if so, how do you think it will work?

duels perhaps?

it would really make little sense not having it

SM - put DAs and SWs in the same battleground and see what happens

CSM - sneaky backstabbing lil bitches...even when united during BCs

Orks - saying this is self explanatory would be the mother of all understatements

Eldar -  rarer, but not unheard of

Originally posted by Sagasaint

sorry if the question is repeated, but are you going to allow same faction figthing? if so, how do you think it will work?

duels perhaps?

Orks - saying this is self explanatory would be the mother of all understatements

yes, Friendly-Fire has been asked a lot already, but in short: we want it in some form, we have ideas on how to make it work, we have not finalized those ideas. the important part will be to prevent griefing and team killing on purpose while trying to make it fun and realistic enough.

Patrick Balthazar

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

duels perhaps?

yes, Friendly-Fire has been asked a lot already, but in short: we want it in some form, we have ideas on how to make it work, we have not finalized those ideas. the important part will be to prevent griefing and team killing on purpose while trying to make it fun and realistic enough.

they could make a training area in the main base where the faction can fight against themselfs

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

duels perhaps?

yes, Im aware that friendly fire is on the chalkboard, and I really hope it makes into the game, otherwise fights inside buildings will devolve into point blank AoE fests at chokepoints.

thats not what I meant with my question, sorry if I wasnt clear enough

candidates often challenge chaos champions for the patronage of their God 

SMs have honor duels

Orks fight all the time to see who is "bigga"

and the Saim-Hann Craftworld has a history of organized duels with representatives of other craftworlds

another example: CSMs usually hold gladiatorial games, specially among the Emperor's Children

just wondering if there are plans to include something along this lines, some kind of same-faction arenas, 1v1, 2v2....with (hopefully) cosmetic rewards...

• decinator27decinator27 Member Posts: 21
    Will Guild sizes be large enough for me to recreate the entire ultramarine chapter by the codex?
  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by decinator27
    Will Guild sizes be large enough for me to recreate the entire ultramarine chapter by the codex?

the strikeforce size is 100 atm

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

yes, Im aware that friendly fire is on the chalkboard, and I really hope it makes into the game, otherwise fights inside buildings will devolve into point blank AoE fests at chokepoints.

thats not what I meant with my question, sorry if I wasnt clear enough

candidates often challenge chaos champions for the patronage of their God 

SMs have honor duels

Orks fight all the time to see who is "bigga"

and the Saim-Hann Craftworld has a history of organized duels with representatives of other craftworlds

another example: CSMs usually hold gladiatorial games, specially among the Emperor's Children

just wondering if there are plans to include something along this lines, some kind of same-faction arenas, 1v1, 2v2....with (hopefully) cosmetic rewards...

I don't have the Desigers yet around, but as of now I haven't heard of plans about 'arenas' or 'challenges' - the idea is good and valid, and I am pretty sure the Designers have thought about it. Not saying no at this point, but might not be something for launch.

Though for testing equipment we surely will have some sort of shooting range and dummies of some sort.

Patrick Balthazar

• GitzStompaGitzStompa Member Posts: 54

Will each faction's spaceship feature a room dedicated to relics/items/trophies that have been won from campaings?

2.  Will each faction's spaceship feature a training area where you can train yourself in melee/ranged/strategy tactics?

3. Will each faction's sub-faction have a dedicated area only for themselves? Like for example, a Goff only wing in the ork spaceship.

Originally posted by GitzStompa

Will each faction's spaceship feature a room dedicated to relics/items/trophies that have been won from campaings?

2.  Will each faction's spaceship feature a training area where you can train yourself in melee/ranged/strategy tactics?

3. Will each faction's sub-faction have a dedicated area only for themselves? Like for example, a Goff only wing in the ork spaceship.

All possible, but a matter of time - we have many ideas and plans for customization of the personal and guild areas - no promises at this point, but we have all this in mind and will expand ofc after launch! 

Patrick Balthazar

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

Miguel dropped hints that we'd get a taste of some game-play footage/screenies in this month. That still the case?

Also, need to ask - after Dark Millenium bit the bullet, did GW kick any assets your way? Did you guys have any insight on the aspects of that game, and if any of that material was referenced or adapted to fit your engine? Every so often I see screenshots of DMO, and reminisce about what could have been...

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

Miguel dropped hints that we'd get a taste of some game-play footage/screenies in this month. That still the case?

Also, need to ask - after Dark Millenium bit the bullet, did GW kick any assets your way? Did you guys have any insight on the aspects of that game, and if any of that material was referenced or adapted to fit your engine? Every so often I see screenshots of DMO, and reminisce about what could have been...

Keeping Miguels promise is always challenging - but we will make it happen, we might just need a little more time so we can make a really nice video for you guys!

GW is a great partner, and they provide us with all the help we could ever expect - and even more! DMO assets are great reference and since they are part of what GW owns, yes, we have access to them.

Patrick Balthazar

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139

Keeping Miguels promise is always challenging - but we will make it happen, we might just need a little more time so we can make a really nice video for you guys!

GW is a great partner, and they provide us with all the help we could ever expect - and even more! DMO assets are great reference and since they are part of what GW owns, yes, we have access to them.

this is a nice clarification, but also confirm that DMO will never come back as single player.

Miguel was talking about a alpha footage or something similar.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

Originally posted by grigdusher

this is a nice clarification, but also confirm that DMO will never come back as single player.

not sure what you meant by me confirming DMO not to come back as single player?! we are not working on a single player game, and we are certainly not re-making DMO, we are making Eternal Crusade, very different from what DMO was supposed to be.

and yes, we are working on something we can show - we just want to make sure that the quality is there where we want to be. I am not saying we are waiting for stuff to be done, it's very early and what we are going to show is all work in progress, but there is stuff we don't want to unveil yet and stuff that is too early to show etc.

Anyway - as said - Miguel and the team are ambitious; some stuff like making a nice video for the fans - though it's important - we schedule it depending not on wishes, but rather on certain plans. So what I am saying is, we will keep our promises, just the time schedules might slide sometimes in favour of making a good game.

Patrick Balthazar

• Trackz5680Trackz5680 Member Posts: 7

I've been waiting for this game for too long (since 1997), to be anything other than ready (when the Devs say it's ready).  That means:

1) No "Soft Launches"

2) Forced screens of footage we'll never actually see in the game

3) Concepts that are pitched, beta tested, and taken out at launch....don't play with my emotions

Dear bE, take as long as you need; I'll be ready when you are.

Hugs and Kisses.

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by grigdusher

not sure what you meant by me confirming DMO not to come back as single player?! we are not working on a single player game, and we are certainly not re-making DMO, we are making Eternal Crusade, very different from what DMO was supposed to be.

and yes, we are working on something we can show - we just want to make sure that the quality is there where we want to be. I am not saying we are waiting for stuff to be done, it's very early and what we are going to show is all work in progress, but there is stuff we don't want to unveil yet and stuff that is too early to show etc.

Anyway - as said - Miguel and the team are ambitious; some stuff like making a nice video for the fans - though it's important - we schedule it depending not on wishes, but rather on certain plans. So what I am saying is, we will keep our promises, just the time schedules might slide sometimes in favour of making a good game.

because at first DMO was cancelled as mmo but THQ say it' waspossibile to be modified to be release as a singleplayer game.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

Originally posted by Trackz5680

I've been waiting for this game for too long (since 1997), to be anything other than ready (when the Devs say it's ready).  That means:

1) No "Soft Launches"

2) Forced screens of footage we'll never actually see in the game

3) Concepts that are pitched, beta tested, and taken out at launch....don't play with my emotions

Dear bE, take as long as you need; I'll be ready when you are.

Hugs and Kisses.

hmm, well a soft-launch is something needed for an MMO, where I am not exactly sure what you mean, but to make clear what I mean: Alpha->Closed Beta->Open Beta->Early Access->Launch is what we have in mind, and these things might even overlap in some ways. Important to know is that this is about making a stable and easy on the server side launch. Too many other games have failed in this, we want to make it right.

There will be definitely screens you might never see in-game, because we are in development, something that at this point looks great and we think is perfect, might be bad in a year and we remove it or change it. same goes for game play features. Just because we think right now e.g. sticky cover is a no-go, maybe at some point we realize together with the community that it is needed, then we might add it, or the other way around for other features.

what we will show does work, we don't want to fake stuff just to show off, we have great tech and even better partners and all - what we show is working and solid. but because we are in development, it is not finished and final. having bugs is normal, even during beta, and sadly, because of the scope of the game even when we are live - the question is always, make it so that there are no bad bugs, nothing that prevents players from doing their stuff, so stability is included there.

hope that makes stuff clear for you, and pls let me know if i misunderstood some parts :) cheers!

Patrick Balthazar

• Trackz5680Trackz5680 Member Posts: 7

Bugs are normal for a Launch; no issues with that.  

The "Forced Screens" (which I should have been more specific on, apologies) - a comment more aimed at the fan base then the Devs.

people cry for screens / footage of game play and when it's not exactly as they expect; they loose heart. Footage / screen shots/ model rendering/ etc. like you said....should be released on your time table/ terms; when you're happy with it.  

Same really goes for the concepts. I realize your development is evolution; nothing set in stone etc. I can only speak on my behalf; I would rather to wait and see than anticipate - Which leads me to "soft launches"  I waited for a game (not going to name names in this instance) and a month after launch PvP was shut down. Being someone who invests their time into mainly PvP, it was disheartening. To say the least

It was an instance where the game went from development, to open Beta, to open Beta with micro transactions, to launch, to an eventual fail. - Killing my motivation to play it. I like your "Alpha->Closed Beta->Open Beta->Early Access->Launch" scenario a lot better.

When you're happy with what you want to release, we'll be happy with it.

ok cool, I think it's safe to say we have the same opinion about these things! Cheers!

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by quotheraving

Is there any word on what graphics engine you guys are using yet?

nothing official yet sorry - I'll let you guys know as soon I am allowed to talk about it!

Patrick Balthazar

• JulkulaJulkula Member Posts: 21

Hello peeps! I'm new in here and created account just to comment here once in a while.

Thanks for the Dev team for giving so much effort in forums =)

So! My questions.

1) If i make character to lets say SM side. Will i pick up certain class to be played. Or will I choose new class everytime I die or spawn (like in PS2 or BF3 etec..) ?

2) How many RPG elements we will have ? Talent trees ? Some skill system like in EVE ?

3) And if we have skill systems I mentioned at 2), they wont be mirrored to other factions skills but will have their own flavour?

Example to 3): SWTOR smuggler and imperial agent. In practice the same class with different textures.

Thanks! And looking forward to see this game ^^

Originally posted by Julkula

Hello peeps! I'm new in here and created account just to comment here once in a while.

Thanks for the Dev team for giving so much effort in forums =)

So! My questions.

1) If i make character to lets say SM side. Will i pick up certain class to be played. Or will I choose new class everytime I die or spawn (like in PS2 or BF3 etec..) ?

2) How many RPG elements we will have ? Talent trees ? Some skill system like in EVE ?

3) And if we have skill systems I mentioned at 2), they wont be mirrored to other factions skills but will have their own flavour?

Example to 3): SWTOR smuggler and imperial agent. In practice the same class with different textures.

Thanks! And looking forward to see this game ^^

1) is probably too early to nail in stone. you will have some sort of choice, but we probably will restrict it slightly depending on where you want to respawn. e.g. if you want to respawn closer to where you died you might not change class/armor type...if you respawn on the 'home' base you could switch...

2) there will be a lot of horizontal progression, stuff to unlock, stuff to upgrade and improve etc. details are not available yet.

3) just by lore there is not much that can be mirrored - just look at SM and Eldar, they are way too different to mirror classes. though some concepts of classes could be mirrored e.g. melee specialist, ranged specialist, assault specialist etc.

Patrick Balthazar

• PolicenautPolicenaut Member Posts: 21

3) just by lore there is not much that can be mirrored - just look at SM and Eldar, they are way too different to mirror classes. though some concepts of classes could be mirrored e.g. melee specialist, ranged specialist, assault specialist etc.

I think most people are worried that Chaos Space Marines and loyalist Space Marines could end up too similar too each other, e.g. Assault Marine = Raptor, Devastator = Havoc, etc

I think most people are worried that Chaos Space Marines and loyalist Space Marines could end up too similar too each other, e.g. Assault Marine = Raptor, Devastator = Havoc, etc

oh, well at this point, I can tell you that code is going to treat them as separate classes - and I really doubt that our designers will copy/paste their look/feel/skill/etc. there will be something unique to each class!

Patrick Balthazar