Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Starcraft Universe: 'The Answer is 7'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Starcraft Universe began as a fan mod using the Starcraft 2 builder tools. After a successful KickStarter campaign, however, SCU aspires to be something more. More like an MORPG answering to the number 7. Want to know the reason behind that cryptic answer? Read our Russian Correspondent Shelassa's exclusive interview and then head to the comments.

MMORPG.com: Are the events in SCU a 'dream' that can lead to anything happening or is it an alternative universe with ties to the original game, timeline and character?

Ryan Winzen: Answering this question could give away our entire story! The answer is seven.

Read more of Shelassa's Starcraft Universe: 'The Answer is 7'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
     I backed this project since I am a fan of the SC Universe. It is nice to play games where devs are honestly passionate about the game that they make. Now if Blizzard can actually make a World of Starcraft now.... :)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Blizzard gave him their blessing" 

What's going on here? My prevailing thought throughout this article and video, is that Blizzard is covertly crowd funding a new game.

I'm not saying I'm right, or even know what I'm talking about. Idk I'm just not use to billion dollar companies giving blessing to use IP. 

Of course I love the idea of a SC mmorpg or even a morpg. This did look kinda strange, but I'm always open for good new ideas. I will be watching for more details.

edit- whoever feel free to correct my assumption.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by bcbully

What's going on here? My prevailing thought throughout this article and video, is that Blizzard is covertly crowd funding a new game.

I'm not saying I'm right, or even know what I'm talking about. Idk I'm just not use to billion dollar companies giving blessing to use IP. 

Of course I love the idea of a SC mmorpg or even a morpg. This did look kinda strange, but I'm always open for good new ideas. I will be watching for more details.

So? 

Does that make this less attractive somehow?

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Sounds great and the non existing " massive " part doesn't bother me at all.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I think the "blessing" came in the form of Blizzard acknowledging that it was OK to use the tools to fundamentally change the game from an RTS to an RPG and to run a KickStarter to be paid for it. After all, you still have to have the core SC2 game to play the "mod".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Look what happened with DOTA though. They gave their blessing for that, then lost the rights to make part II.  So I have to wonder if there's more too this blessing this time or are they just ok with this happening again ?
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    if anyone wants to the play this mod they have to own (buy) starcraft 2 so blizzard get paid and fans get their game win/win
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Now this is a TC if i ever saw one. =)

Good to see that it is doing well and that Blizzard still understand the market well enough to not shut it down.

This have been a good conversation

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I only hope they blessing is in a print, if for some reason this game pick like to be huge blizzard will start to sue for part of profits or closure.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    7?   42 is a far more satisfying answer.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

No, you don't need to own Starcraft 2 to have this, from the Kickstarter page:

"If you don't own StarCraft II, you will need to download a FREE copy of the StarCraft II: Starter Edition here. Since the file size is very big, downloading may be paused and resumed at your own discretion."

"We must emphasize that all acts and expansions of SCU will be completely FREE to play through the StarCraft II: Starter Edition. You don't need to buy StarCraft II to play!"

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
     I backed this project since I am a fan of the SC Universe. It is nice to play games where devs are honestly passionate about the game that they make. Now if Blizzard can actually make a World of Starcraft now.... :)

Yea it is.  While I didn't back it but that is because I don't back anything, I am hopeful for their continued success.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    *brain explodes in an awesomegasm*
  • zizzleyozizzleyo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Yes, yes it does.
  • zizzleyozizzleyo Member UncommonPosts: 6

What's going on here? My prevailing thought throughout this article and video, is that Blizzard is covertly crowd funding a new game.

So? 

Yes, Yes it does.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by zizzleyo

What's going on here? My prevailing thought throughout this article and video, is that Blizzard is covertly crowd funding a new game.

So? 

Yes, Yes it does.

It does make it less attractive because of one very important reason: Should this game gain traction, that "blessing" will evaporate, and that's the end of the game. Either that, or Blizzard will hijack it and ruin it, putting in "space pandas" and improbable storyline twists and turns. I do like the look of it though. Let's just hope the "blessing" doesn't go the way of the dinosaur when this thing turns out to be awesome.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

It does make it less attractive because of one very important reason: Should this game gain traction, that "blessing" will evaporate, and that's the end of the game. Either that, or Blizzard will hijack it and ruin it, putting in "space pandas" and improbable storyline twists and turns. I do like the look of it though. Let's just hope the "blessing" doesn't go the way of the dinosaur when this thing turns out to be awesome.

Why are we all assuming Blizzard will do this? the back lash and bad PR would be massive, just wouldn't make sense for Blizzard to ban or take control of this MOD in the future, they're too busy with the SC2 xpac, Titan, Hearthstone, Blizzard all-stars and the D3 xpac. 

I was wrong about needing the full version of SC2 but players will still need to install the Bnet launcher and ultimately be sucked into the Bnet Ecosystem and the world of Blizzard games.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by SBFord

I think the "blessing" came in the form of Blizzard acknowledging that it was OK to use the tools to fundamentally change the game from an RTS to an RPG and to run a KickStarter to be paid for it. After all, you still have to have the core SC2 game to play the "mod".

This is exactly the reason why they shut one eye and let it happen.

In the end it´s good for their bottom line, as it means more SC2 Box sales. Win Win.

• victorvndoomvictorvndoom Member UncommonPosts: 19

7 is prolly total years it took the hybrids to conquer the universe and that is how much in game they tend to live. 7 is their lifespam. 7 is how many main characters are consumed.. 7 is a lucky number so you could get lucky to be alive..7 are the total of servers used to run starcraft II at blizzard. 7 billion are the ammount of wow players leaving the game to play scu

ps i am joking dont take this info for real. :)

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by expresso

Why are we all assuming Blizzard will do this? the back lash and bad PR would be massive, just wouldn't make sense for Blizzard to ban or take control of this MOD in the future, they're too busy with the SC2 xpac, Titan, Hearthstone, Blizzard all-stars and the D3 xpac. 

I was wrong about needing the full version of SC2 but players will still need to install the Bnet launcher and ultimately be sucked into the Bnet Ecosystem and the world of Blizzard games.

Blizzard had a massive backlash and loads of bad pr when most gamers saw what the Diablo franchise had become with d3, but Blizz didn't seem to care then so why should they with this.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by sibs4455

Blizzard had a massive backlash and loads of bad pr when most gamers saw what the Diablo franchise had become with d3, but Blizz didn't seem to care then so why should they with this.

Except for adding scalable monster levels, removing the rm auction house completely and re-vamping the entire loot tables....they didn't do a thing!

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I love how humble he is about it and tells you to check out all the information and if it interests you to help the kickstarter.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    They say they are going to be a MORPG - multiplayer online just dropping the Massive. Honesty goes a long way with players, we don't just play MMOs online. Building trust starts with press releases, most game producers put PR first and expect us just to believe them after that. Hope they do well.
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Look what happened with DOTA though. They gave their blessing for that, then lost the rights to make part II.  So I have to wonder if there's more too this blessing this time or are they just ok with this happening again ?

Blizzard never gave any sort of acknowledgement to Dota.   They looked at it as just another WC3 Used Map Settings. 

Do a little bit of research on the subject before you make baseless claims.  I could also tell you why DOTA2 got the okay for the copy write.  Much of that has to do with the original developer Eul, and Icefrog being hired by Valve.  

The More You Know.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by sibs4455

Except for adding scalable monster levels, removing the rm auction house completely and re-vamping the entire loot tables....they didn't do a thing!

Yet those are not out yet, and won't be out for another 5 months, just in time for the expansion.  Is there any question as to why they are making these changes?