Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GUILD WARS 2 FREE TRIAL REVIEW

Comments

• PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Erindal

I do agree that the game is too easy though. 

SAB tribulation mode, Queens Gauntlet Liadri, new Tequatl, new Twilight Arbor Path, Arah exp, Ascalonian Catacombs exp. Mad King's Clocktower. 

If above are too easy why the forums are full of "too hard, frustrating. impossible to do with pug" outcries? 

Soloing challenge and danger throughout the open world are almost non existent.  Making a challenging dungeon doesn't save the game from overall easiness as you spend 95% of the time in game out in the open world.

OP either had a language barrier or he likes things much different than I do in my MMO's as he complains about none of the things that bother me with the game (it's too linear...wha?)

What an ex player said about "hard". Just stupid tweaks to the enemy attacks (annavoidable AOE, grouped mobs, etc..) 

"PvP isn't my thing eitehr, I only played WvWvW a bit, the culling back then made it impossible to fight in the bigger groups which attempted to raid the outposts etc. As soon you approach you would lag so mcuh that you can't move and die.

Culling is said to be fixed, but I didn't tough GW2 for half a year XD

I quit back when I only had 2 things to do: finish the world map (Continent of Orr, undead everywhere, hard, annoying and at the same time boring because you only get to fight zombies all over the place.)
    And dungeons for tokens for accessory. Bad thing that just when I was going to do a run with my guild, they had patched it so it got harder (the unavoidable AOE I mentioned earlier.) Said NPc was attacking, got knocked down, couldn't shield us, everyone died. Over and over and over again, till we gave up."

Also, I have seen the videos of the world boss dragon fights etc...It is nice to watch and fun to see people scramble durring phases. But all in all it is stand there, spam..Spam.spamm..ok now run to the cannons...spam spam spam...ok now run in front. Spam spam spam XD. In other games, with 60 men, their were saviors amungs the group. That one PRiest that saved the day. That one warrior that took the bullet. The one mage that directed the adds...people had signifcant roles and did epic things. In identity less GW. "get as many spammers together. click, n leave". Exactly like the level 1-10 experience in the article XD

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

There's not a single minotaur in any of the starter areas of this game.

It's obvious this "reviewer" tried the game having an already negative bias.

And typing you thread title in all caps doesn't make you more believable either.

[mod edit]

Obviously he meant centaurs, of which there are plenty.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Complaining about teleporting and needing to pay a fee: just like every other MMO out there, to teleport between areas, you need to pay a fee.  TERA?  Pay a fee.  WoW?  Pay a fee.  Rift?  Pay a fee.  The only difference here is that it is actually very cheap to teleport, you can do it from anywhere, and it is instantaneous, no needing to make a chicken sandwich to pass the time required.

The "complaint" was over the fact fast travel doesn't make any sense (just click from a map) and breaks immersion (as opposed to flight paths, portals, teleport wizards, etc). It's a prime example of lazy design that wreaks from every corner of GW2.

Your other attempts at debunking this review are similarly lacking in terms of *seeing the point*, but I have no desire to go throught them all.

• ErindalErindal Member UncommonPosts: 54

Soloing challenge and danger throughout the open world are almost non existent.  Making a challenging dungeon doesn't save the game from overall easiness as you spend 95% of the time in game out in the open world.

SAB Tribulation mode is better done solo (more fun/frustration in full group though). Tequatl is not in a dungeon. Queen's Gauntlet was not a dungeon also. Queens Pavillion was not that easy or we wouldn't see so many dead bodies near Kuraji (that nasty centaur not minotaur). Scarlet invasion were not that easy also with mobs ressing each other and so on. Orr temples and Balthazar especially are not that easy. I can go on and on but you didn't try that content so I'm just shaking the air for nothing. 

Besides that if you spend 95% of your time standing in Queensdale like the OP it doesn't mean all do the same. Its you man, its just you. 

Originally posted by dimnikar

Complaining about teleporting and needing to pay a fee: just like every other MMO out there, to teleport between areas, you need to pay a fee.  TERA?  Pay a fee.  WoW?  Pay a fee.  Rift?  Pay a fee.  The only difference here is that it is actually very cheap to teleport, you can do it from anywhere, and it is instantaneous, no needing to make a chicken sandwich to pass the time required.

The "complaint" was over the fact fast travel doesn't make any sense (just click from a map) and breaks immersion (as opposed to flight paths, portals, teleport wizards, etc). It's a prime example of lazy design that wreaks from every corner of GW2.

Your other attempts at debunking this review are similarly lacking in terms of *seeing the point*, but I have no desire to go throught them all.

another guy who doesn't care to read the topic still leave his comment. 

if you want to replace all the asuran waypoints with asuran portals - go ahead and call their Concil but think twice before doing it because it might break your childish brain completly. I mean ~15 asuran portals per map... what a mess, portal wars 2 lol (but no immersion broken in process for the sole reason of pleasing mr. dimnikar) 

Offtopic:

So what is totaly wrong with such elegant decision for fast traveling? Why is it ok to click on skill bar and teleport back to the town but it is so wrong to click on the map to teleport to that very same town? Brain conflict occured? 

Or do you enjoy flying a predetermined path on a griffin w/o ability to jump (excluding eq2) or move for lets say 5 minutes and then that griffin - poof - vanishes (swtor taxi vanishes, where the hell they hide all of these cars?! not to mention that griffin on rails sounds a bit weird). Thats surely not breaking immersion. Can go on and on again but what for. 

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49

First of all...Hi! I never post here...but have been lurking on this forum forever. This one I felt compelled to sign in and comment on for the 2nd time in probably a year.

Now, I don't play gw2. I was one of the wayyy too overhyped people who wanted this game to come out for years before it did. I wanted to have sex with gw2, figuratively...**see how I did that OP**

I stopped playing after about 4 months because it got kinda boring.

I can say... totally objectively that the reviewer was wrong on most points. Yeah the game can get boring...for some people...but it is quite enjoyable a lot of the time. I would love if there was more progression in the pvp... **I love WOW Arena** and am looking forward to Wildstar for this reason. I'm still going to play this game casually because it is fun to hop on every once in a while and play. It is definitely worth the box price. Most games go for 59.99 and you get 10-20 hours out of them. I'd say gw2 is a win in that regard.

That being said... does anyone else who stopped playing this game seriously a long time ago kinda want to play again after reading this review?

It was so bad that I found myself defending it and now I want to play. :)

Thanks OP.

Originally posted by Kremchek

It was so bad that I found myself defending it and now I want to play. :)

I didn't play for a long time after the launch but I find a lot of things to do there and content updates every 2 weeks are more than worth consuming. 

Also guys I've played MMOs since Meridian-59 and I played the most of them. 

So if you find that I defend gw2 too much its wrong. If the reviewer would invest some time and attention to the game he would find flaws (nothing is perfect of course).  But... he didn't. And I wouldn't defend gw2 for real flaws. So this time its enough bullshit already. Everytime I read this dumb forum I see how "no1 is playing gw2, the game is dead, the servers are empty" and so on and on. But all of such shit is totaly wrong. Just login and see for yourself. They gave 10 days trial also so you could check how healthy the game is. 

So if you wanna review - bring real pros/cons on the table. 

• RiversdaleRiversdale Member UncommonPosts: 20

I agree that the instant teleporting from anywhere to a waypoint doesn't actually make sense if you want to look at it that closely and could be considered immersion breaking but then every MMO I've played has had many immersion breaking aspects if you look at things that closely.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by lazy design. GW2 was designed to remove mechanics that stopped you having fun playing the game. Obviously everyone's idea of fun is different. In some games you travel to a transportation hub and then possibly spend several minutes travelling on some form of transport before arriving at your destination. Some people enjoy this sense of immersion and the sense of scale this gives the world, others don't enjoy this and would rather be able to continue playing without being forced to wait 5 or 10 minutes. Neither group is right or wrong they just enjoy things differently. Those in the first group won't like the travel system in GW2 and those in the second group will.

Personally in GW2 I would have preferred having to travel from a waypoint to another waypoint, rather than teleporting from anywhere, and perhaps have them scattered around zones a bit less. However I don't miss sitting on a griffon for 10 minutes, twiddling my thumbs, whilst waiting to play with a friend who happens to be on the other side of the world to myself. Okay perhaps I miss the chance I had to go to the loo or make a coffee but sometimes it seemed that getting people together to do something fun ended up taking almost as long as the having fun part and that can't be right.

Edit - Seems Erindal got in there before me. I'm such a slow poster :(

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Erindal

Also guys I've played MMOs since Meridian-59 and I played the most of them. 

So if you find that I defend gw2 too much its wrong. If the reviewer would invest some time and attention to the game he would find flaws (nothing is perfect of course).  But... he didn't. And I wouldn't defend gw2 for real flaws. So this time its enough bullshit already. Everytime I read this dumb forum I see how "no1 is playing gw2, the game is dead, the servers are empty" and so on and on. But all of such shit is totaly wrong. Just login and see for yourself. They gave 10 days trial also so you could check how healthy the game is. 

So if you wanna review - bring real pros/cons on the table. 

This...except my first mmo was EQ which I quit for WOW at launch.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Well of course they make sense, since we don't have mounts, flight paths, etc.

They are a form of portals, as are the giant stargates...erm I mean Asuran gates.  Besides, what doesn't make sense about them?  If a race of grey-skinned Yodas who have the same catchphrase of Stan Lee can make a city out of levitating blocks, an army of robots, a shrink-ray, and a Star Trekian hologram room, making a set of waypoints that can let you teleport for a small fee makes perfect sense (it's called suspension of disbelief).

It's Asuran technology, and there is a rule about Asuran technology you must always follow: don't question it.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

It's a great design imho. If you don't add fast travel folks will complain they need mounts and/or a means to fast travel. For those that like immersion and don't want to fast travel it's simple enough, don't use the ability to fast travel. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

-1 week gameplay and they only screenshots are from Queensdale ...

-clunky camera compared to Rift, do you wanna also compare jump to see which one is the clunky one ?

-the combat review its totally false, with auto attack you dont go anywhere beyond lvl 3-5 areas ..

they only valid criticism is about

-the waypoints and the lost of immersion the reason is cause a game with mini of the Queen use as an excuse the waypoints in order to avoid mounts...

-the lack of GvG, but anyway you never seems you gone to any form pvp although both WvW and sPvP are available to you after the "tutorial" ...

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    This review has as much depth as Rift.
  • AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    retard alert: All caps thread TLDR.
  • PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55

I only use RIFT as a base since it is the only other popular mmorpg that has a live world "event" thing if you will. So the trolls that take that out of context to support (in a failed attempt) this title are obviously, trolls.

The other arguements about camera, jump etc...super small points. I even point out. Coming from all other mmorpgs (not just RIFT), there was something off about the camera. In fact, in this very website MMORPRG dot COM, go to the GW2 forums and head back in time to both CB and OB. There are numerious complaints about the wonky camera. It is in several other sites and video reviews of the game. 

Also, you can not avoid the FACTS I produce. Look at my screen of that epic first boss fight. That is MAX ZOOM. Knowing I could not die there, I sat there experimenting with the camera angles etc....nope...That is max zoom The camera is wonky. FACT. I also note (which most troll eyes avoid), that it is not game breaking but just different enough to note. As an extra point, it is like Kingdom of Hearts... DAT camera....but that did not stop us from fully exploring all it's puzzles, the jumps and all...

I can go, but the best part is the fan boi community, I remember the battles on this very web site of CB, so many people had not touched it yet defended it with their lives! YES THEIR SOULS! Willing to sell their mothers for a copy and defend this game to the end and watch WoW fall in a fire of quitters running to GW2....yeah...that turned out well....those poor motherless kids now XD XD

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Erindal Everytime I read this dumb forum I see how "no1 is playing gw2, the game is dead, the servers are empty" and so on and on. But all of such shit is totaly wrong. Just login and see for yourself. They gave 10 days trial also so you could check how healthy the game is. 

This is like the standard thing to say about any game ppl on this forum don't like. Every game out there is dead and no one plays it....yet year after year the game keeps going, keeps getting new content and often the company running the game works on part II or another mmo.....all with apparently no one playing their failed dead games.

Here you don't need facts to be right, you just have to find some other dumbass to agree with you.

Originally posted by Papaprika

I only use RIFT as a base since it is the only other popular mmorpg that has a live world "event" thing if you will. So the trolls that take that out of context to support (in a failed attempt) this title are obviously, trolls.

And aside from that it is a poor comparison.  Actually taking that into account it is still a poor comparison, as the live world events are very different from the two.  Rifts are always "run to this spot, kill x of mob a, kill y of mob b, kill boss".  That's it.  Guild Wars 2 events are much more varied, including "kill boss", "collect x of item a", "defend npc from enemies while traveling", and "retake a position from enemy mobs".  So, yea, it kinda is out of context

The other arguements about camera, jump etc...super small points. I even point out. Coming from all other mmorpgs (not just RIFT), there was something off about the camera. In fact, in this very website MMORPRG dot COM, go to the GW2 forums and head back in time to both CB and OB. There are numerious complaints about the wonky camera. It is in several other sites and video reviews of the game. 

Yes, everyone hates the camera.  We get it already.

I can go, but the best part is the fan boi community, I remember the battles on this very web site of CB, so many people had not touched it yet defended it with their lives! YES THEIR SOULS! Willing to sell their mothers for a copy and defend this game to the end and watch WoW fall in a fire of quitters running to GW2....yeah...that turned out well....those poor motherless kids now XD XD

Yes, we are fan bois, because all of us who pointed out the flaws in your "review" feel that GW2 is the second coming of Jesus.

Except that everyone who pointed out the flaws of your "review" does not think that GW2 is the second coming of Jesus.  Sure they ranged from "yes I love GW2 and think it is perhaps the best MMO out currently and here is why your review is wrong", to "I do not like GW2 and haven't played it ina while but here is why your review is wrong", but I do not remember reading a single comment that was explicetly from a "fan boi".

We are not fan bois; you're just being a hater (again mods and everyone this is not meant as an attack, or at least more of an attack than the calling of us people who claimed that he is wrong to be "fan bois").  Your belief that everyone who disagrees with you must be a fanboi for reasons you do not disclose is proof of this.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Rifts are always "run to this spot, kill x of mob a, kill y of mob b, kill boss".  That's it.  

Just wanted to jump in and point out that this is not true. Not true, everybody. Carry on :)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Hmm Rift was mentioned 16 times - how refreshing to see an unbiased review for once.

This is true /

And...I love Rift, but I can't stand GW2

• RiversdaleRiversdale Member UncommonPosts: 20

I actually think Papaprika secretly likes this game.

He scored Secret World 0/5 in a similar type of review and called FFARR diarrhoea in a box. GW2 gets a mighty 2/5 and he even says he might buy it after he's bored with RIFT and the price drops. High praise indeed!

He obviously just has quite strict scoring criteria and probably didn't want to give it a higher score for fear of being called a fan boi.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Rifts are always "run to this spot, kill x of mob a, kill y of mob b, kill boss".  That's it.  

Just wanted to jump in and point out that this is not true. Not true, everybody. Carry on :)

Ok then, how is this not true?  Every rift event I was ever in was exactly like this.  What rifts are you taking part in?

• liker12liker12 Member Posts: 4
    too small, i will play this game if become f2p. i want looks interesting
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Thomson
    Originally posted by Papaprika
    Also, you can not avoid the FACTS I produce. Look at my screen of that epic first boss fight. That is MAX ZOOM. Knowing I could not die there, I sat there experimenting with the camera angles etc....nope...That is max zoom The camera is wonky. FACT.

Your Screenshot

How the camera looks fully zoomed out

So please, stop lying and spreading false information about the game in order to depict it in a bad way. You are not criticizing the game, you are hating on it.

Edit: After reading your post again it came to my mind that you meant "MAX ZOOM" as in zoomed in and that you where experimenting with the camera. If thats the case then it's very strange that you show us the picture and say "This is what my first epic battle looked like...Camra was crap. Monster to big."  because it was obviously your own fault.

It's like wearing sunglasses inside and then complaining that the sunglasses are too dark.

Strange seems mine and Papaprika's post in reply to this one got deleted.

To be fair his picture is max zoom from were hes standing ( Yes he is standing inbettwen the elementals hands having his back to the second one, so i cant for the life of me understand how he think he can zoom out with that giant obsticale in the way)

Edit

You Thomson is standing in a more resonable spot were players usualy stand if they want to see whats going on.