Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Originally posted by sportsfan

Then stop insulting my intelligence by stating WOW "suffers" from 7.7 million players.

Only person who is insulting your intelligence is yourself.

7.7 million down from 12 million says its a serious decline. That's almost 1/2 of the players gone since 2010.

Tunnel vision has a nasty way of showing itself.

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Agree, if in my work half of the customers leave us, boss will fire almost all of us with no questions, no matter he still have a positive balance.

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

Originally posted by Lukooone
    Agree, if in my work half of the customers leave us, boss will fire almost all of us with no questions, no matter he still have a positive balance.

Oh, yeah. I don't know too many business that if they lost half their customers the boss, bank and colleagues wouldn't be concerned (bank would be hard pressed on loan extensions on that alone). That's the time to rethink policies, seriously.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

FFXIV Wildstar ESO. These MMOs will definitely give a lot of pain to Wow.

WoW is outdated. Ppl are sick of playing it.

Originally posted by Cetra

ESO could, but Bethesda isn't making it. That's like Blizzard leasing WoW to Ensemble Studios to develop. The original talent that makes the game so unique, isn't onboard. And it truly is the talent that makes or breaks these games. Be it direction or production.

Smart move on Bethesda's part, as ESO can flop, but their offline RPG will be untarnished (they didn't develop it).

FFXIV is a niche game. Very niched to a particular type of RPG players, so not in direct competition.

Wildstar who knows. There's so much hype out there, only way anyone will know a game is successful is if it survives for 2 years and continues to grow.

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Nobody can escape the cracks of time. Blizzard doesn't need to change a thing.  The game is almost 10 years old.  Its already reached all the success it needs to.  Let it age in peace like Everquest and remain a fond memory to many of us.  And for the people that still play it and don't want to play a different mmo - good for them.  As long as they are still having fun, then that's perfectly fine.

Exactly.  There is no cause for enmity or strife.  Its just a shame, since the game in pre-Cata days was such a thing of beauty.  Vanilla WoW was a magical thing - and I was coming from five years of EverQuest.  So impressed.  And BC continued the journey.  WotLK was the peak, based on subscription numbers - and I would agree.  I was having so much fun.  The whole story arc with Arthas - including the Wrathgate event, and the siege of the Undercity - just so epic.  All the steps to the LK, including some of those wonderful 5-man instances, with so much lore, and purple loot greasing the road ahead.  Loved it.  Been all downhill since Cata, at least for me.  I mourn what they have done to Azeroth - and I'm sad that no future gamers will ever know it as I did. 

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

I'm still amazed by how Blizzard managed to make server merges pass as positive "features"

And the people who intentionally chose a low pop server for the community and the easier access to some resources are now invaded by kiddies from some high pop server.

But well done, Blizzard. Even though you didn't fool me.

My computer is better than yours.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

FFXIV is a bust. When is WoW-killer #784 coming out?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by infofront

FFXIV is a bust. When is WoW-killer #784 coming out?

FFXIV is a massive success.  It's still number #2 in PC sales on amazon and in the top 20 of all video games.

But honestly most WoW players are REALLY bad at playing any MMO with some challenge to it.  FFXIV is breaking them as we speak.  So I think it's funny that people want these players in other games to say that it equates some type of success.

• wb8594wb8594 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    yeah WOW will be a powerhouse for at least 10 more years.......unless it upgrades it graphics by then will slowly fade to under 1 million players.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Even though I hate WoW with undying passion, let's be fair here and look at it from a glass is half full standpoint.

They're still over 7 Million Subs, which is roughly the same total as all Western MMOs combined.

I'd be more worried about WHEN they go F2P, or if a game manages to reach the 2-3 Mil mark.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Illyssia

So what can Blizz do now.

Peeps. WoW is in trouble now, I think, and only firm and decisive action can reverse its steady decline now.

What can they do now? Continue to rake in an insane amount of money unlike no other game out there.

People are funny. If some game ever hit 20 million players and then dropped down to 10 million players, people would be saying the end is near and that the game is in trouble simply because of a drop. The part they are missing is how huge the remaining number still is.

Any MMO out there would likely literally murder some people to get 7.7 million subscribers. The number is so ridiculously huge. I have no desire to play WoW, but 7.7 million subs is not "being in trouble".

• LehoxLehox Member UncommonPosts: 19

1. Blizzard announced that they think of a transactionsystem for the Blizzardshop implementation, not to be f2p in ANY, REASONABLE Way. Stop pointing out dreams of others.

2. The next Expansion is according to lore the most precious one for me, at least. I mean - goddamn the Hell of Azeroth involved being AGAINST the burning legion even thou they are kinda the same kind? hell yeah!

There are even things like the sone of Medhiv and his Orc'ish Woman that is - Guardian of Tirisfal (kinda bigass bossmage)

There is so much that WoW still has to offer, they just need to put a lot of overhaul into their next Addon means Mechanics, Graphics, Skillsystems or Features that already, are implemented in various other games (even thou badly made).

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.

I'm just shocked it took this long for WoW to fall this low. Part of it is because GW2 is the only good MMORPG to be released in ages it seems and that one doesn't appeal to the more hardcore fan.

Originally posted by Ender4

Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.

Completely and utterly false information.  And yes.  It's a success.  It is selling very well.  They froze sales because too many people were playing the game.  Stores everywhere were sold out.  So...yeah.  lol

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by jdnyc

Originally posted by Ender4 Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.
    Completely and utterly false information.  And yes.  It's a success.  It is selling very well.  They froze sales because too many people were playing the game.  Stores everywhere were sold out.  So...yeah.  lol

They froze sales because their login servers couldn't handle the load but the load wasn't terribly heavy either. It was way more about poor infrastructure than it was about an explosion of interest like say EQ and WoW had at release. This was more Shadowbane style issues. I don't blame them given what a completely failure the original release was.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

All of this data only goes to support what I and many people have been saying for half a decade now.  WOW is a fluke.  Those players aren't playing other games because they are not MMO players, they are WOW players.  Just because WOW is an MMO doesnt mean every person who plays it is an MMO player.

Humanity has a bad bad tendency to think that because something is popular its good.  To this day we still define all kinds of things by how popular they are.  Britney Spears can sell 10 million albums but that doesnt make it good.  WOW, just like Britney Spears, happened to fall upon a formula that exploits human psychology for monetary gain.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Well, folks as we all know World of Warcraft has been by far the largest franchise MMORPG for years now. Heck, they are even filming a Hollywood movie based on it now. But, over the past year or so cracks have appeared in the once golden cash cow and its numbers have fallen till now we hit 7.7 million. Is the WoW dream now over?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-world-of-warcraft-subs-fall-again-to-7-7-million

I played Panda as a Mage levelling from 1-90 and it was fun, but I jumped off the ride at 90 rather than hop onto the gear grind treadmill of endgame again. Why? Well, I feel I have been there and done that as a former hardcore raider of that game. It wasn't offering anything new. But, the 1-90 ride was a good one, but end-game raiding is old hat, really small group dungeons and content is they best way to go now.

So what can Blizz do now. They have an in-game cash shop to bolster revenue, but that is not enough unless they go free-to-play with a buy-to-win cash shop. What is really needed is another overhaul to make the game mechanics more modern and a large fresh expansion with more adult lore.

Peeps. WoW is in trouble now, I think, and only firm and decisive action can reverse its steady decline now.

As always, feel free to comment...

Ummm, they are not in trouble. They have 7.7 million subscribers. Last time I checked, thats alot of people. 

Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by jdnyc

Originally posted by Ender4 Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.

They froze sales because their login servers couldn't handle the load but the load wasn't terribly heavy either. It was way more about poor infrastructure than it was about an explosion of interest like say EQ and WoW had at release. This was more Shadowbane style issues. I don't blame them given what a completely failure the original release was.

Lol 400k simultaneously logged in isn't terribly heavy? 

Retail copies sell out in various places?  

Lol and EQ had about 250k total subs.  So that's wrong too.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

WoW is not in trouble!

WoW has LOST more subscribers than some MMOs have EVER had.

And as they have said numerous times, the time between xpacs always sees a loss of players, its natural.

Sure a lot of veterans have quit but WoW is hardly in trouble.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

The game is old. People do get tired of the same thing over and over again. 

That said 8 million is still a lot. I thought it would be much lower than that. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Edli

Rturning to the WoW game after a five year break is actually quite refreshing  and shows that despite the games age the total package is still complete and contains everything to keep casual gamers quite happy.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Edli

Rturning to the WoW game after a five year break is actually quite refreshing  and shows that despite the games age the total package is still complete and contains everything to keep casual gamers quite happy.

That's pretty much my situation. I played a lot of WotLK, skipped over Cataclysm, and just returned a couple weeks ago. I thought I was burnt out on the genre, since I really haven't been able to appreciate any recent MMOs, but I'm having a good time.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Does anyone know the breakdown on the $15 a month western subscribers and the Asian "subscribers" who don't pay a sub?

Sorry, i got to about the fourth page and couldn't go through the rest of the thread, so if i am repeating i apologise.

The above question is the meat of the matter. I have always maintained that WoW has a core of maybe 4.5-5Mill western subs around, maybe eroded slightly, but still about and these are the guys/gals who stay subbed come hell or high water, expansion or no expansion. I think if you saw a huge dent in that number, there would be some major reaction from Blizzard as they are the bread and butter customers. Until that happens i wouldn't expect a huge change, but who knows, Blizzcon is on the way and they still haven't announced an expansion after Pandaria yet.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Blizzard rake in over £100 million a month in subscription fees even with the decline in figures, Not exactly the end of the world :)