Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest's Next Landmark MMO

LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

The more I hear about Landmark, the less I feel we are being told.

We continue to hear more and more about this "Landmark" and little to no actual speak of "EQNext" as an MMO(in wake of the overshadowing Landmark launch this winter).

We are learning about and seeing videos of Landmark's features: crafting, resources, building, exploration, combat, creating characters, etc. The more I think about these robust LM features, the less sense it starts to make.

Sure, there are a couple of foreseeable responses to the purpose of LM.  Such as using it to separate the building tools and the like in order to filter out the bad-bad player-creations.

But, let's be honest, it makes absolutely no sense to waste time building two separate games.

If we follow the PR speak, it would have us believe that Landmark and (MMO)Next are two separate, yet harmonious entities of some sort.  If we cut out all the PR and just compare the base details, however, it seems to me that they are one and the same.

If Landmark were being designed for the specific purpose of PC-content creations, then why would they go to the hassle of building an actual game out of it when they could be spending their time and manpower on the real deal.

So, I'm becoming convinced that "Everquest Landmark"  is actually the alpha/beta of "Everquest Next" and they are just using Clever-Speak to hide the fact that it actually is going to evolve into EQNext itself, not live alongside it.

After all, why would there be a need for these land claims and the like if it were just a system being built for building.  Why?  Because it's actually the EQN world you are exploring and testing out.

We already have heard mention of guilds receiving plots through rewards, etc., in EQNext, and that players will be able to have housing/guild halls of some sort.  But, why would you need this land-grab system in LM if it weren't the actual game world?

-------------------------------

Allow me to digress a bit:

There are already alot of people arguing in the other threads around here about the plausibility of having everyone's ongoing build-plots in one big open world you can explore.

So, let's theorize that people's build sites may be instanced on the inside.  If these build sites are instanced, then it makes even less sense as to why you would need plot claims and all that jazz to build and go all Fantasia in.

And, if the player-creations are inside their own personal instances, that have to be intentionally entered to be seen... the issue of separating player-content from the game world becomes a non-issue.

You go inside your build zone, which is actually an instance accessed through the EQNext world.  You build stuff, then submit it for content approval.  Approved, transferred to the public game world.  Same deal as it would be if LM were separate.

---------------------------

I rather am starting to picture something akin to the Lego Universe setup for building.  I doubt many played that, but if you did, then you get the idea.  You did your thing in the Lego world, collect bricks from slain enemies, exploration, etc., then you carry them back to your personal build-instance, and you can use them there.

Sound familiar?  You go exploring and fighting and gathering resources in "Landmark" and take them back to your personal plot of world-design.  Except, for the obvious fact, that there is no such thing as Landmark and you will be doing this in EQNext itself.

I can't believe they'd actually have two segregate groups of players essentially playing the same game.

Maybe, Landmark is the name they'll give to the "Test" server as things progress into the MMO launch.  But, either way, it's the exact same game at its core.

TL:DR - Dear Everquest Landmark participants,

You've been playing EQNext the entire time!

It's all just clever wordplay.  Hence, the title I gave this thread to show how it's all just one big name cleverly split in two.

In closing:  It's like 5 AM and I'm not going to go back and clean this up any time soon, but for those of you who get my point, I'd love to see what the rest of you have been thinking.

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I agree EQL is a alpha/beta test for EQN. I see nothing wrong with that. It's unconventional but makes sense given the type of game EQN is touted to be.

The land claims exist so players can stake a claim so no one else can effect the property. How can you build something that will last if random players can come by and change your hard work.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    well, EQNL certainly serves as the testbed for EQN-proper. There's  alot to be tested, the voxel engine, the procedural terrain generation, and whatnot.  That being said, I don't believe Landmark will actually evolve into EQN. It will remain an independent game/test platform, perhaps attracting an audience on its own.
    As far as EQL= EQN I don't think that will be the case. Maybe you might be able to move your toon across the games effortlessly but you'll have one landmass with EQL and another with EQN and never the two shall meet. They will be parallel dimensions.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

EQNL will not force the "Norath" style on what you build. If you want to make a replica of the USS Enterprise, a Star Destroyer or a Tie Fighter in Landmark, you can. Only what you build in the "Norath" style will be able to eventually be transfered to EQN.

So no, it's not the same game. And it's a wise decision in my opinion. It will avoid the "main" game to have the world filled with irrelevant architecture, penis shaped towers and other kind of stupidities.

My computer is better than yours.

• Xblade724Xblade724 Member UncommonPosts: 54

I think the dev's of EQN are all genius'. 

This is actually what I thought as well!  After all, EverQuest itself is known for playing with words. Don't forget that many of the best EQ1 quests were discovered through paying attention and using logic to figure out the quest rather than instant gratification.  This makes discovery more exciting!  I think this, alone, is a quest to discover this.  

Look, for instance, at the first promo video where they fast forwarded through some content but when slowed down, there was an intentional 'easter egg' for those brilliant enough to do so.  This is one of those 'quests'. 

Well played.

---------------------------
    Former EQ1 Rallos Zek (PvP)
    Ascendant Chronei Immortal of Rallos Zek
    (Now @ Prexus)

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    EQNL - is the low to no expectations way of introducing a mmo. It's brilliant, instead of criticism the game will simply be praised for the small things it does right. Any criticism will have no merit because there is no expectation. It's a brilliant move.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Op,  to clarify differences

EQN - Norrath Landmark theme

- Many classes

EQNL - many themes,  Scifi, Modern, etc

- one class, Adventurer

- one theme supporting EQN,  the Norrath theme

One thing is for sure,EQL is turning out to be a full blown MMO. With the anoucement of combat the line between EQL and EQN has become thinner.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Nadia

Op,  to clarify differences

EQN - Norrath Landmark theme

- Many classes

EQNL - many themes,  Scifi, Modern, etc

- one class, Adventurer

- one theme supporting EQN,  the Norrath theme

Very nice clarification - this should make it obvious for every reader :)

My computer is better than yours.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I see the two as the same game with 2 different rulesets. If anything, eqnl will just be missing certain features, like the above poster laid out.
  • MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I dont get where your disappointment is coming from, Grahor. They always said it was going to be a crafting game, and not an editing toolset. Its like someone offered you s banana split and you got upset when you saw them coming and it wasnt a slice of cake.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by donpopuki
     How can you build something that will last if random players can come by and change your hard work.

Experiencing that for 10y now in EVE, empires rise and fall.

it's called a sandbox....and it works.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Metrobius
    I dont get where your disappointment is coming from, Grahor. They always said it was going to be a crafting game, and not an editing toolset. 

They said, that you'll be able to build things using same tools as developers do. That you will be able to do it alone, not being bothered by others. That's all I ever wanted from EQL. *shrug* I'm not particularly disappointed. I still think they'll add at least a free-building mode. Unless, of course, they'll understand that you can't monetize it... Then, obviously, no free-building for us.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Grahor
    Originally posted by Metrobius
    I dont get where your disappointment is coming from, Grahor. They always said it was going to be a crafting game, and not an editing toolset. 

They said, that you'll be able to build things using same tools as developers do. That you will be able to do it alone, not being bothered by others. That's all I ever wanted from EQL. *shrug* I'm not particularly disappointed. I still think they'll add at least a free-building mode. Unless, of course, they'll understand that you can't monetize it... Then, obviously, no free-building for us.

i'm not taking sides here, but I also thought Landmark was a editing tool for EQNext.

Either they changed direction, or their communication was greatly flawed.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by WhiteCross

i'm not taking sides here, but I also thought Landmark was a editing tool for EQNext.

Either they changed direction, or their communication was greatly flawed.

i dont think people paid much attention to the announcement of Landmark

article from the weekend of SOE Live, August 4rth,

when Landmark was announced

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

EverQuest Next Landmark: Didn't see that one coming, did you? The public announcement for this new building MMO at SOE Live definitely took most people by surprise. But after the shock wore off and the initial information sunk in, players were very eager to learn more about this separate-yet-tied-to-EverQuest Next title. And SOE obliged with an entire panel dedicated to creativity and Landmark.

will Landmark have other aspects of MMOs like adventuring, guilds, and such? Yep! SOE did note that character customization may not be as detailed as other games. Players will also have to gather communally to craft at public stations, though that sounds to us like a perfect place to trade recipes and materials and an optimal spot for some bartering!

related Bulletlist of Landmark features - announced at SOE Live  (source is dated 08/04)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/396945/EQN-Landmark-bulletlist-from-SOE-fanfaire.html

EQNL info from Gamescom 2013, Aug 21

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/gamescom-2013-in-depth-looks-at-everquest-next-and-eq-next-lan/

EQNL info from PAX 2013, Aug 31

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-2013-the-strange-case-for-everquest-next-landmark/

--------------

i've only been surprised by one feature, recently announced,  EQNL will support PVP

but EQNL being a mmo was clear from when the game was announced