Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The bad aspects of FFXIV

Comments

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Lady_Vixen

A few valid points on both sides of the RMT debate, however I'm amazed that people just don't discuss what I see as one of the most glaring problems in the FFXIV economy... the absolute lack of things to spend your gil on. 

Everyone focuses on crafting so that they can proclaim to be the Donald Trump of the server, but all that money is useless if there's nothing to buy with it.  Mounts for sale?  Fluff items?  Cosmetic items?  Non-armor outfits?  Housing?  (Yeah, I know, housing is "coming soon"  LOL)   Crafters work to make money so that they can buy more crafting materials and make more stuff... it's an endless loop,  and simply another example of how short sighted the Square Enix developers were when they released FFXIV 2.0 

If Square Enix is sincere in trying to stop RMT in their game, they first need to implement a system where players can make enough gil to survive without having to resort to crafting or RMT.  All the money sinks are in place to remove money from the economy, but for level capped players, there are few viable options to make enough gil to cover basic repair and transportation costs. 

In my case, I finished a AK run, and after exiting I went to repair.  Not only did I not have enough to complete that, but I also lacked enough gil to teleport home.   I took a long ride back to town on my chocobo, parked at the inn, then logged out and re-subbed to another game. 

FFXIV was ok, but in my opinion, it came across as a rushed, half done, and unpolished MMO.

So where are those crafters getting their money from?

• Lady_VixenLady_Vixen Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

A few valid points on both sides of the RMT debate, however I'm amazed that people just don't discuss what I see as one of the most glaring problems in the FFXIV economy... the absolute lack of things to spend your gil on. 

In my case, I finished a AK run, and after exiting I went to repair.  Not only did I not have enough to complete that, but I also lacked enough gil to teleport home.   I took a long ride back to town on my chocobo, parked at the inn, then logged out and re-subbed to another game. 

Huh?

Ok there aren't a lot of fluff items, but looks to me like you've found more than enough stuff to spend your gil on.

Actually there really aren't any items to spend your gil on outside of crafting materials, repairs and transportation.  I made a fair amount of gil when I ran the storyline on my first class, but that quickly disappeared as I leveled my other classes/jobs since the leveling rewards are absolutely insufficient to cover leveling costs.  (I left with Lv. 50/50/40/38/36/36/36/36/36 ... all 9 jobs)

• Lady_VixenLady_Vixen Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Dagon13

So where are those crafters getting their money from?

You play FFXIV... you know as well as I that the only consistent form of gil generation in this game is from completion of the main storyline quests.  Players make a couple hundred thousand gil leveling up their first job, and part of that trickles into the crafters pockets through sales of leveling armor and jewelry.  From that point on, the gil is consolidated in the hands of the crafting and gathering classes.  Players who have only combat related classes hit end game, and their only source of gil infusion dries up.  Dungeon rewards are miniscule, and absolutely insufficient to even cover the cost of repairs for each run.

Am I wrong?  Are there other ways that money is making its way into the game economy?  As far as I can see, it's simply consolidated, then diminished by the in place gold sinks.  As this trend continues, the server supply of gil will eventually diminish and depreciate the server economies. 

You play FFXIV... you know as well as I that the only consistent form of gil generation in this game is from completion of the main storyline quests.  Players make a couple hundred thousand gil leveling up their first job, and part of that trickles into the crafters pockets through sales of leveling armor and jewelry.  From that point on, the gil is consolidated in the hands of the crafting and gathering classes.  Players who have only combat related classes hit end game, and their only source of gil infusion dries up.  Dungeon rewards are miniscule, and absolutely insufficient to even cover the cost of repairs for each run.

Am I wrong?  Are there other ways that money is making its way into the game economy?  As far as I can see, it's simply consolidated, then diminished by the in place gold sinks.  As this trend continues, the server supply of gil will eventually diminish and depreciate the server economies. 

I don't think you're wrong, but I think you were only grazing the real issue in your first post.  There are items to spend gil on or our crafters would not be making a profit, however you're right that this gil does not circulate.  As a combat class my only real source of gil has been the quests and the only gil I've spent has been on crafting materials.

I don't know if this is my fault or SE's fault.  It could be poor game design, or it could be that players haven't fully realized the mechanics.  It doesn't help that we're still in a developing economy.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I'm really surprised that people are not COMPLETELY put-off by the LACK of loot in the game. Sure you can "dungeon hunt" and get the same gear everyone else has, but just the lack of content (gear) and just going out and grinding for a little loot and coin is SO horribly boring. And that "item found" coming up letting you know that you have successfully obtained another "WORTHLESS" piece of crafting material (and BTW that is ALL that you will ever get)  is WAY more "USELESSNESS" than I can stand. Heading back to a REAL MMO... EQ2...........BTW there is no economy in this game because there is no need for anything else other than crafting. Also coincides directly with the above statement as to "no loot". No viable loot content (eg. useful gear, weaps...ect...) NO ECONOMY....NO GAME!
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

There is a huge problem with gil circulation. Gear repair and teleports just take too much gil out of the economy and like mentioned above the only real way to introduce gil into the economy is via the storyline. Which can only be done once. Leves and guildhests do give some good cash reward but not enough to be significant for the economy as a whole.

For many like myself though gil is not an issue. That is mainly because I leveled weaver and botany first while the getting was hot. I sold crystals for 500gil a piece when lving botany from 25-30 and made well over 200k off crystal alone. There were other mats I sold along the way to make stupid amounts of gil that now sell less than you can NPC them for. Now the hot ticket item is materia but who knows when it will be before the botton falls out of that too. I can make some cheap lvl 50 gear go out and spiritbond it relatively quick (kinda time consuming honestly) and hope for some materia that cost between 20-60k a piece. That may not sound like a lot but considering you get 11 materia at a time it can be a lot.

You can do this too right now and it's really not that hard to burn a craft to 50 with your leves and make some cheap gear to spiritbond. The issue is that there is no influx of gil into the overall economy and there are sinks that take gil out. So all that gil I have made and I'm honestly hoarding right now until housing is even more gil taken out of circulation.

Really all I can say is that if you are lvl 50 and only have a combat job and no desire to craft you can go farm mats for crafters off mobs. Fleece is like 600 gil a piece on my server and drops off lvl 38 mobs. I'm sure there are other things for other crafts I haven't leveled that are similar to fleece too.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by k11keeper

There is a huge problem with gil circulation. Gear repair and teleports just take too much gil out of the economy and like mentioned above the only real way to introduce gil into the economy is via the storyline. Which can only be done once. Leves and guildhests do give some good cash reward but not enough to be significant for the economy as a whole.

People are still making up this crap? Oh my god haha.

When no problem exists, invent one instead!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Please be constructive rather than take one paragraph out of context and criticize it.

Please be constructive rather than take one paragraph out of context and criticize it.

The person has no data on any of this. He is literally making stuff up out of his head.

I don't know how much I should respect an argument like that.

Each FATE taking place supplies the economy with 50gil for every participant. For FATE's with lots of participants, it can go up to thousand gil per FATE.

Just to name one.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

One bad aspect I had to put up with today. Can't give SE my money. I get "error 401" when trying to pay with my credit card. Looking around the web if you get that error for the first time every try afterwards will be blocked for 24 hours. If you try again it will be extended to 1 week and after that 1 month. I really hope this is not true because I retried more than once. Can't buy Crysta either because that is not supported in my country.

Anyone else having these problems or is it just me? 

Thanks Dagon well put.

And to Hyanmen. You can barry your head in the sand if you want but it's simple math though. I'm not sure the exact amount of the gil the storyline introduces but lets estimate it gives each player 300k (sounds about right doesn't it?). So you have thousands of players with 300k handed to them but every teleport costs 100-600 gil, every repair costs and can be thousands. Takes that money out of the economy and circulation and never gives it back. Then you have people like me who have a lot of gil they don't spend and are saving for eventual housing. So when I do actually spend the money I've been hoarding and not putting into circulation and taking away from others I will then give it right back to the game for a house and once again it won't be given back to the economy

So tell me I'm making up this crap and that no problem exists. It is an issue and will remain an issue until people just get fed up and quit. Which will take more money out of the economy.

The person has no data on any of this. He is literally making stuff up out of his head.

Each FATE taking place supplies the economy with 50gil for every participant. For FATE's with lots of participants, it can go up to thousand gil per FATE.

Just to name one.

You're going to use fates and an example? I spend more gil on teleports during fate grinding then fates will ever give me ack band so do a lot of other people. So keep dreaming dude.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I dunno. Watched the sunrise cut through a foggy morning in Fallguard Float. The music kicked in. Harvesting sickle in hand. So theres some bad aspects in this game? Sure. But I can't be bothered with em right now heh.

Just to name one.

You're going to use fates and an example? I spend more gil on teleports during fate grinding then fates will ever give me ack band so do a lot of other people. So keep dreaming dude.

lol. It's not about you as an individual and never was. It's about the economy as a whole.

Some people use teleport more than FATEs give them. Some people are left with big surplus. Big deal. Either way, it's a massive source of income for the server. A FATE train overnight can make millions of gil. Which according to you is not worth taking into consideration. Hilarious.

This will be especially the case when people start conserving their gil. And they will, because they can't finance their livelihood otherwise. There is nothing "wrong" with this.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Just to name one.

paying for lots of teleports, why don't you do what everyone else does and use a mount, its soooo much cheaper image

Not that i grind fates at all, though i don't avoid the ones that appear nearby. Nor do i use lots of teleports, i do use return every now and then, and chocobo's are a cheap form of travel if you don't have your own mount yet, cheaper than teleports anyway. image

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Thanks Dagon well put.

And to Hyanmen. You can barry your head in the sand if you want but it's simple math though. I'm not sure the exact amount of the gil the storyline introduces but lets estimate it gives each player 300k (sounds about right doesn't it?). So you have thousands of players with 300k handed to them but every teleport costs 100-600 gil, every repair costs and can be thousands. Takes that money out of the economy and circulation and never gives it back. Then you have people like me who have a lot of gil they don't spend and are saving for eventual housing. So when I do actually spend the money I've been hoarding and not putting into circulation and taking away from others I will then give it right back to the game for a house and once again it won't be given back to the economy

So tell me I'm making up this crap and that no problem exists. It is an issue and will remain an issue until people just get fed up and quit. Which will take more money out of the economy.

How about the Gil you get from doing Leves?

If you are smart you can make decent amount of extra cash with that (5-6k for each Leve)

That has nothing to do with the Mainstory your Leves will replenish and you can have a constant stream of gil which will be feed into the Economy.

So if i would use all the Leves i have right now just for that i would make more than the 300k you estimated everyone could get which kinda leads me to believe that you whole point is flawed.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Gil sellers exploits have caused people to think this game is full if expendable income. In reality, the game is setup so that gil matters and you have to be smart with how you spend it. I know for some, they are used to playing mmos where money is extremely easy to come by and getting rich is not a challenge. I dont think this game is setup that way. SE is trying to get it back on track with the 8+million gil accounts suspensions. I hope it works out.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

How about the Gil you get from doing Leves?

If you are smart you can make decent amount of extra cash with that (5-6k for each Leve)

That has nothing to do with the Mainstory your Leves will replenish and you can have a constant stream of gil which will be feed into the Economy.

So if i would use all the Leves i have right now just for that i would make more than the 300k you estimated everyone could get which kinda leads me to believe that you whole point is flawed.

Leves, FATEs and Allagan pieces are the big three gilfountains in this game.

Each supplies the game with a ton of NPC-created gil each and every day, and SE keeps a track of all of this to determine whether the economy is "broken" or ...... not.

So yeah up to each individual to believe what they want; the party with all the data and the ability to change the balance by a simple change of a line of code .......... or the guy with no data and no proof, only his personal beliefs.

In all honesty this is what somebody coming from a monopoly-money wonderland of "any other themepark MMO" would say...in those games money has no real value so the economy has no real value either. It's just an NPC-run themepark in the most literal sense of the word.

When ARR is not the same type of WoW clone people get all sorts of weird ideas in their heads.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Crafting doesn't generate gil, it's only taking from the players who are buying ;). There are very few gil fountains in this game. Which is a major issue that SE is already aware of and are working on for a solution. I believe they're adding Treasure hunts and Beastman dailies to combat the lack of gil fountains.

Or they can change a line of code and suddenly the existing gil fountains give out more gil. Or make the gilsinks less costly.

If it was a true problem, I mean. Which it isn't.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Crafting doesn't generate gil, it's only taking from the players who are buying ;). There are very few gil fountains in this game. Which is a major issue that SE is already aware of and are working on for a solution. I believe they're adding Treasure hunts and Beastman dailies to combat the lack of gil fountains.

Or they can change a line of code and suddenly the existing gil fountains give out more gil. Or make the gilsinks less costly.

If it was a true problem, I mean. Which it isn't.

There aren't really any gil fountains, which is the issue. The only way to truly add money to the economy at the moment would be to sell items to a vender for 1-12 gil a piece (which is an incredible was of materials). Or make a new character and go from 1-50 to obtain ~300,000-500,000 gil.

Like i already said a couple post earlier "Its not true that the Main storyline is the only way"

Levequest will add Gil as well if you are smart you can get 5-6k for each Leve

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

There aren't really any gil fountains, which is the issue. 

Currently it isn't. If you add more gil into the game all you're going to do is just increase the prices in the market. Nothing will really change. Leves give 10x more gil, items in the market will go up in price by x 10.