Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The bad aspects of FFXIV

amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Saw this on another forum and thought it was worth posting here, even if you like the game you would be hard pressed to argue most of these are wrong.

After playing FFXI for many years I have to say that this game greatly dissapointed me, my expectations were too high I guess.

Originally post

Customer service.
Worst customer service I've ever seen in a pay to play mmo, they treat you with utter disrespect and very often cut you off before you even finished talking. They seem to have almost no interest in helping their customers at all.

RMT and Bots.
Bots and cheaters everywhere, very little action taken to stop them and no anti hack systems in place on the servers. People botting farm mobs, people warping between mobs before normal players can attack, warping between mining points and warping through dungeons to skip trash. Check youtube if you want to see how bad it is.

When they do take action they either ban lots of innocent players or just ban players because "they have too much gil", if you keep on long enough they will remove the wrongly given ban but no apologies will be given and very often removed gil is never given back.

Community.
Leveling community isn't too bad, endgame community is hateful and horrid. Probably one of the worst communties I've had the displeasure of experiencing. XIV community gives LoL community a run for its money.

Endgame.
Boring grinding of 1-2 dungeons over and over and over and over again for months. The new raid added with 2.1 is lower difficulty and lesser gear than what we already have (2.1 raid is content removed from the game to add in a patch).

PVP.
There isn't any at all. End of the year they are adding one 5vs5, that's it.

Leveling.
First job to cap is pretty decent, jobs after that are forced fate grinders and incredibly boring.

World and gear.
Very small world with invisible walls everywhere, unable to jump down even small ledges very often. No swimming, even ontop of the water is impossible let alone under.
A fairly decent looking MMO but really not as good graphically as mmos that came out in 2010, Tera and GW2 look better. When a Square MMO isn't top of the genre in terms of graphics you know it's bad, all the low res textures are horrid.
Gear mostly all looks the same.

Servers.
Laggy servers for many players, bad data center positioning. Canada is a bad place for half of American players giving high pings.
No EU servers forcing EU players to connect to NA which again means high lag, not a big issue during leveling but at endgame you will be seen as a bad player for being unable to dodge stuff when it's not your fault.

Dungeon wait times.
DPS wait times are horrible usually averaging around 40-50 mins+, 2 dps 1 tank and 1 healer was a stupid party setup to go with.
Even if you have a full party you very often have to wait upto an hour due to not enough instance servers.

PS3 limitations.
This game will always be held back by PS3 limitations, even when they add the PS4 version it will still be held back to PS3. No way they are going to abandon all their PS3 players which means unified content held back by the old system for as long as the game runs.

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    A fair review of players concerns.  While I don't agree with all of them, I do respect these opinions as I do understand them. 
  • SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    This was well worded and hits a number of items right on the head.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120
    I think that's a fair assessment.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by amber-r

Saw this on another forum and thought it was worth posting here, even if you like the game you would be hard pressed to argue most of these are wrong.

After playing FFXI for many years I have to say that this game greatly dissapointed me, my expectations were too high I guess.

Originally post

Customer service.
    Worst customer service I've ever seen in a pay to play mmo, they treat you with utter disrespect and very often cut you off before you even finished talking. They seem to have almost no interest in helping their customers at all.

RMT and Bots.
    Bots and cheaters everywhere, very little action taken to stop them and no anti hack systems in place on the servers. People botting farm mobs, people warping between mobs before normal players can attack, warping between mining points and warping through dungeons to skip trash. Check youtube if you want to see how bad it is.

When they do take action they either ban lots of innocent players or just ban players because "they have too much gil", if you keep on long enough they will remove the wrongly given ban but no apologies will be given and very often removed gil is never given back.

Community.
    Leveling community isn't too bad, endgame community is hateful and horrid. Probably one of the worst communties I've had the displeasure of experiencing. XIV community gives LoL community a run for its money.

Endgame.
    Boring grinding of 1-2 dungeons over and over and over and over again for months. The new raid added with 2.1 is lower difficulty and lesser gear than what we already have (2.1 raid is content removed from the game to add in a patch).

PVP.
    There isn't any at all. End of the year they are adding one 5vs5, that's it.

Leveling.
    First job to cap is pretty decent, jobs after that are forced fate grinders and incredibly boring.

World and gear.
    Very small world with invisible walls everywhere, unable to jump down even small ledges very often. No swimming, even ontop of the water is impossible let alone under.
    A fairly decent looking MMO but really not as good graphically as mmos that came out in 2010, Tera and GW2 look better. When a Square MMO isn't top of the genre in terms of graphics you know it's bad, all the low res textures are horrid.
    Gear mostly all looks the same.

Servers.
    Laggy servers for many players, bad data center positioning. Canada is a bad place for half of American players giving high pings.
    No EU servers forcing EU players to connect to NA which again means high lag, not a big issue during leveling but at endgame you will be seen as a bad player for being unable to dodge stuff when it's not your fault.

Dungeon wait times.
    DPS wait times are horrible usually averaging around 40-50 mins+, 2 dps 1 tank and 1 healer was a stupid party setup to go with.
    Even if you have a full party you very often have to wait upto an hour due to not enough instance servers.

PS3 limitations.
    This game will always be held back by PS3 limitations, even when they add the PS4 version it will still be held back to PS3. No way they are going to abandon all their PS3 players which means unified content held back by the old system for as long as the game runs.

1. How would this be different than FF11?

2. It's an annoyance at best. We need an easier way to ignore. But if this is the #2 "Bad Side" how bad is it really?

3. I never understand why players put community as an attribute to the game as if it was up to the publisher to provide you with your community experience. Every MMO I have played has both good and bad communities in them. Which ones do you gravitate to? My FC and the people I deal with regularly are great.

4. Endgame. Yeah, they need to add more. But hey! the good news is....They are.

5. PVP Yeah they need to add PVP. But hey! The good news is... They are.

6. World is disappointingly small. Gear has a low variety, but it's not that bad. There are a few options.

7. I'd like them to fix the telegraph timing. But I've adjusted to it by now. It's pretty much a non issue for me now.

8. I'd like to see them add more Duty servers. But yeah, welcome to the Trinity. Happens in most MMOs.

9. Welcome to the future of gaming. Cross platform design limitations are probably here to stay.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by pmcubed

Include quality of life issues.  http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1lhilk/big_quality_of_life_changes_are_needed/

I would also say, gear comparison UI as well.

Quality of life should be a positive or not mentioned at all, certainly not used as a negative.  Gear comparison is definitely not needed, but it would be nice to have things flagged as used in a gear preset so I dont accidently toss them into my storage....

Customer service I've never needed so no comment.

RMT/Bots are FREAKING ANNOYING, but people seem to still complain even when SE takes action.

Community complaint I don't really get.  I mostly deal with my FC and LC, all of which are filled with great people.  The shout usually gets nasty because there are way too many people who think they can tackle end game content in seriously sub par gear.

Totally agree on the endgame, although leveling crafting is growing on me.  The interplay between DoLs and DOHs are fun to optimize.  Especially when you start blasting through botany levels at 30+, you feel like a real boss.

God I wish there was robust PvP.  Enough said.

Being used to sandbox games, I thought that the lack of exploration and highly contained areas would bug me.  Surprisingly, it didn't bother me much at all.  The world is so well designed and extremely detailed.  The lack of full exploration didn't damage immersion for me at all.

Zero lag issues for me outside of some huge lag spikes.  Overall, I think ping consistency is a much bigger issue than the micro issue of extreme consistent lag.  You can easily adjust to 300ms.

The party setup of 1 healer, 2 DPS, 1 tank is correct for the content.  You should simply not use DF matching if you have issues.  Be proactive, setup a raiding linkshell and only worry about dungeon queues.  This complaint is silly because it shows how lazy some people are.  Additional dungeon servers were already confirmed, and that dungeon reservation times will significantly improve.  Should be coming this month.

Probably true, but I think it's pretty cool that SE is at the forefront of getting MMOs onto consoles.  It's about time the two worlds collided.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Include quality of life issues.  http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1lhilk/big_quality_of_life_changes_are_needed/

Quality of life should be a positive or not mentioned at all, certainly not used as a negative.  Gear comparison is definitely not needed, but it would be nice to have things flagged as used in a gear preset so I dont accidently toss them into my storage....

Huh? lol.  Add up all the QoL issues and instead of a friendly tickle, its a painful cockpunch.  I don't see your logic.

Originally posted by Alamareth

Huh? lol.  Add up all the QoL issues and instead of a friendly tickle, its a painful cockpunch.  I don't see your logic.

QoLs are just click throughs.  Things can be done faster, but aren't even remotely necessary.  Even with the various QoL issues the game has, taken as a total, don't affect gameplay near enough to be anything more than a footnote.

Overall, the UI is quite well made and extremely customizable.  QoLs are just adjustments to an otherwise solid base system.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I agree with some of it.

A lot of it is either based on speculation, rumor, or straight up hyperbole.

Farming the same dungeon for months? Come on now, the game hasn't even been out for Months, and there's a lot of raiding content on the slate for the first big patch.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

CS: YES.

RMT & Bots: Biggest BS I've ever heard. 367 BILLION gil was removed out of circulation few days ago. Gil prices went up TENFOLD overnight. SE treats the disease (RMT being in control of the gil and items through illegal methods) instead of the symptoms (shouters, bots).

Community: This text  is actually listed as an example in the dictionary under the word "opinion".

Endgame: Completely in line with what other MMO's deliver on launch, even going beyond in some cases. Makes it sound like the debater doesn't like MMO's generally.

PvP: We have to wait as much as two months for it. I know, terrible.

Leveling: I wish I knew this before I took 3 classes to 30+ without FATE grinding at all as I, too, could have been miserable.

World and Gear: I can't say, GW2 and TERA's generic overdone world and gear bored me to tears.

Servers: No lag issue is due to location of the servers.

Dungeon wait times: DPS takes longer to get in, who knew? 20-30 min for me personally, but universal truths are universal I guess.

PS3 limitations: While other games are dealing with "we have no players to finance proper development of the game" limitations, SE can put out DX11 upgrades and UI modding for the PC audience with the money financed by PS3 players.

tl;dr: Customer service is horrible, we have to wait for PvP, miserable MMO gamers gonna be miserable

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

8. I'd like to see them add more Duty servers. But yeah, welcome to the Trinity. Happens in most MMOs.

He was talking about the 4 man parties. Move up to the standard 5-man party (tank, healer, 3 DPS) and you cut the queue way down.

Originally posted by infofront

He was talking about the 4 man parties. Move up to the standard 5-man party (tank, healer, 3 DPS) and you cut the queue way down.

Premake your parties....

Seriously, if you get to level 50 and you still have to PUG everything - uhhh, don't know what to tell ya.  At lower levels, I suppose it can be a pain since FATES are faster and no one other than storyliners will actually queue for them.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

RMT & Bots: Biggest BS I've ever heard. 367 BILLION gil was removed out of circulation few days ago. Gil prices went up TENFOLD overnight. SE treats the disease (RMT being in control of the gil and items through illegal methods) instead of the symptoms (shouters, bots).

Sure, they took gil away from legit players too though. Is that how SE plans on fixing the problem? Just remove gil from rich player? So I guess is impossible to become rich in this game either wise you get accused of cheating. 

How about fixing your damn game instead? Is been a month and people have already found ways to cheat and teleport. How about giving me the option on chat to right click a name and block/report him? Hell you can have on GM just stay for a moment in the city and he will be able to ban so many gold spammers. 

That is how you fix the disease. Not remove gold from whoever you only assume has cheated. That's dishonest to legit players, especially when you take into account that SE apparently just doesn't care about the complains of non japanese userbase so if you're unjustly banned you're pretty much *****.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

The worst aspect of this game is the World.

It feels small, plastic and uninspiring............... too many instances, and don't get me started on those invisible walls (welcome 2005)

Originally posted by Edli

Sure, they took gil away from legit players too though. Is that how SE plans on fixing the problem? Just remove gil from rich player? So I guess is impossible to become rich in this game either wise you get accused of cheating. 

How about fixing your damn game instead? Is been a month and people have already found ways to cheat and teleport. How about giving me the option on chat to right click a name and block/report him? Hell you can have on GM just stay for a moment in the city and he will be able to ban so many gold spammers. 

That is how you fix the disease. Not remove gold from whoever you only assume has cheated. That's dishonest to legit players, especially when you take into account that SE apparently just doesn't care about the complains of non japanese userbase so if you're unjustly banned you're pretty much *****.

Even if said players were "legit", the gil they are holding is RMT'd.

RMT'd gil will not make it into the economy. That is how SE fixes the problem now, and in the future. Not by allowing people to block RMT shouts while letting them ruin the economy freely. The latter is simply a bonus.

Though it's been some days since I've seen any shouters.... Still, let's just assume the situation is the same as few weeks ago. People need something to bitch about, after all.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Data servers in Canada......thank-you SE.

Game launches, players grab their trusted "Bot" program to farm currency, company takes action, players come to MMORPG to QQ about getting caught for cheating.....working as intended.

MMORPG trolls create post after post about how new game will fail because they didn't like it.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

How the hell am I suppose to know that? Not my fault your game can be hacked so easily and you're lazy and slow on banning these accounts. And not all gil they're holding is RMT's. Probably some of it is but SE just makes assumptions and removes it all.

This is not a fix, this is temporary "fix" unless you think SE is going to continuously remove gil every two weeks or so. That will only piss off more and more legit players. Players that have no idea who they're selling to and that genuinely didn't try to hack or exploit the game. 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I'm only going to post about the RMT/BOT because this is a personal pet peeve of mine.  First and foremost, they need an option to blacklist them easier than we do right now.  A macro to blacklist the last whisper is nice, but we should be able to right click on their name in chat and blacklist from there.

Second:  The list is too small.  I have 150 blacklisted so far on Courel.  Only 50 more to go, which I will probably hit by this weekend (on a related note, I actually have 2 people that aren't RMT spammer that are blacklisted for a reason!!)

"I'm Innocent!

It is both SE's and the Player's responsibility to keep the account information secure.  SE must keep the account servers secure and free from intrusion.  That is as far as it goes for them.  Everything else is on the player.  The player must:

1. Keep their username and password secure.  Don't share it.
    2. Keep their computer secure.  Seriously, Malwarebytes and McAfee are your friends.
    3. Don't visit "less than reputable" websites.  You know what these websites are.  Their the ones that give you thousands of pop-ups, or McAfee (which the user probably doesn't have installed) says the website should be avoided.
    4. More of a continuation of #3, don't login to your account from another computer that isn't your own or one that you don't trust.  Again, seriously.  You don't know what the security is like on that computer.  Don't chance it.
    I have ZERO sympathy for people that engage in RMT that isn't policed by the Developer.  If you go to the website, even just to look, whatever happens is on you the player.

I'm not going to totally ignore the "innocence" that people claim they have.  Sure, there may be a few.  However, I'd wager a guess and say that the vast majority are actually "guilty" of one of my 4 things that a player should do.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

How the hell am I suppose to know that? Not my fault your game can be hacked so easily and you're lazy and slow on banning these accounts. And not all gil they're holding is RMT's. Probably some of it is but SE just makes assumptions and removes it all.

This is not a fix, this is temporary "fix" unless you think SE is going to continuously remove gil every two weeks or so. That will only piss off more and more legit players. Players that have no idea who they're selling to and that genuinely didn't try to hack or exploit the game. 

Life isn't fair either. Bad money is bad money and needs to be taken out. It sucks, sure. But it's the same in real life you know.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/td-bank-counterfeit-bills_n_1567745.html

It's bad money, Someone EFFED up. But you know...maybe if it gets out that bad money will be taken out of circulation, the fence sitters who lean one way or another will decide to lean to honest. Maybe the REAL fear of losing real money will deter more players from getting involved with unsanctioned RMT.

In the long run, I'd rather deal with losing thousands of Gil and keeping the economy real, then get into situations where the game's economy is so far out of control, you lose that much every day just doing basic transactions. Look at Anarchy Online to see what the end result of that would be. This way is still preferable.

P.S. It wasn't the game that was easily hacked. It was players with insecure accounts. There is a big difference.

You get to know things like this once you stop pointing fingers and whining and start actually listening.

Talking about making assumptions, you just believe these people are innocent and think they have halos on their head.

Making the day-to-day activities of gilsellers harder and harder is not a temporary fix. It's ultimate goal is to make gilsellers give up on the game due to the enormous effort required to control the gil and item supply so gil is too expensive to be bought.

People buy your services with grossly inflated prices on new servers and the people selling dare to claim they had "no idea" any of that gil was bought? What a freaking joke, haha.

---------------------------

I remember when SE didnt' act on the gil supply in FFXI (christmas 2005) and as the result gil lost all of its value in a matter of months. Then it wasn't just the holders of RMT'd gil that suffered, everyone did.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

RMT'd gil will not make it into the economy. That is how SE fixes the problem now, and in the future. Not by allowing people to block RMT shouts while letting them ruin the economy freely. The latter is simply a bonus.

Though it's been some days since I've seen any shouters.... Still, let's just assume the situation is the same as few weeks ago. People need something to bitch about, after all.

If u worked  for a company selling cars and some drug dealers bought some cars from ur company would you be ok with the police taking all your savings because the money ur boss paid you in wages originated from drug dealers?

That's how Square are dealing with this situation.

If u worked  for a company selling cars and some drug dealers bought some cars from ur company would you be ok with the police taking all your savings because the money ur boss paid you in wages originated from drug dealers?

A prime example of why analogues are terrible.

RMT money is illegal money. Illegal money will be confiscated whether it be RL or in-game. Whether you are ok with it or not is not my concern. My concern is only that the illegal money does not inflate the value of real money, because then I will suffer too.

A prime example of why analogues are terrible.

RMT money is illegal money. Illegal money will be confiscated whether it be RL or in-game. Whether you are ok with it or not is not my concern. My concern is only that the illegal money does not inflate the value of real money, because then I will suffer too.

Real life analogies? How about real life?

You show up at the store with counterfeit money that you just got out of a legitimate bank's ATM. The money is found to be fake. You are out. That's it. Game over. You get to play victim, but you don't get your money back.

• Lady_VixenLady_Vixen Member Posts: 9

A few valid points on both sides of the RMT debate, however I'm amazed that people just don't discuss what I see as one of the most glaring problems in the FFXIV economy... the absolute lack of things to spend your gil on. 

Everyone focuses on crafting so that they can proclaim to be the Donald Trump of the server, but all that money is useless if there's nothing to buy with it.  Mounts for sale?  Fluff items?  Cosmetic items?  Non-armor outfits?  Housing?  (Yeah, I know, housing is "coming soon"  LOL)   Crafters work to make money so that they can buy more crafting materials and make more stuff... it's an endless loop,  and simply another example of how short sighted the Square Enix developers were when they released FFXIV 2.0 

If Square Enix is sincere in trying to stop RMT in their game, they first need to implement a system where players can make enough gil to survive without having to resort to crafting or RMT.  All the money sinks are in place to remove money from the economy, but for level capped players, there are few viable options to make enough gil to cover basic repair and transportation costs. 

In my case, I finished a AK run, and after exiting I went to repair.  Not only did I not have enough to complete that, but I also lacked enough gil to teleport home.   I took a long ride back to town on my chocobo, parked at the inn, then logged out and re-subbed to another game. 

FFXIV was ok, but in my opinion, it came across as a rushed, half done, and unpolished MMO.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Lady_Vixen
    A few valid points on both sides of the RMT debate, however I'm amazed that people just don't discuss what I see as one of the most glaring problems in the FFXIV economy... the absolute lack of things to spend your gil on. 
    ....In my case, I finished a AK run, and after exiting I went to repair.  Not only did I not have enough to complete that, but I also lacked enough gil to teleport home.   I took a long ride back to town on my chocobo, parked at the inn, then logged out and re-subbed to another game. 

Huh?

Ok there aren't a lot of fluff items, but looks to me like you've found more than enough stuff to spend your gil on.