Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Exploring the Twilight Assault Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet's next Guild Wars 2 content update is called "Twilight Assault" and marks the return of iconic character, Caithe. We have a great preview to give you a slight leg up when you enter the fray later today. Check it out and then let us know what you think!

ArenaNet gave members of the press a tour through the first part of the path. Players will be assisting the Lion's Guard as they investigate rumors of Aetherblade activity. Along the path players will face off against familiar enemies in the Twilight area, but don't be surprised if the rumors of Aetherblades are true. The Aetherblades have been rebalanced for the world, so you won’t be stunned as much, but they will be stronger in other areas.  To make things even worse, Steam Watchers float around looking for intruders. If you don't act fast whole squads of Aetherblade Pirates will rain down on you to make you wish you never took the assignment.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Twilight Assault Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

I'd like to be excited for content updates, but FFXIV pulled me away from this game and I'm very much enjoying myself in there at the moment.  When going back from GW2 to the "trinity" I didn't think I'd miss it, but actually I have.  Its nice to play a healer again.

Maybe when GW2 gets the dungeon finder tool I will be lured back, but honestly I don't think I will.  I applaud them for designing something new and different, but I've always enjoyed playing a healer and its nice to be in a defined role to put your stamp on a group.  But hey, to each their own, I'm sure the masses that are still playing GW2 will enjoy the content.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    The opposite for me. Tried ff14 and just couldn't get back into to standing around, macros, fighting sheep and exlamation marks.Very happy for a stronger story update in gw.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This game is the poster boy for what happens when you choose the best business model. I have criticized this game up and down. I quit and comeback though. This content looks like it could be challenging. We will see how it plays out, but I like what they are doing here. Can't wait to jump back in. Solid pvp, realm vs realm pvp, and now they are making some relevant pve content.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I thought the Living story updates were supposed to be for all Levels and scalable.

Now the last update and this upcoming update is lvl80 only? Shame. :(

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    This game is the poster boy for what happens when you choose the best business model. I have criticized this game up and down. I quit and comeback though. This content looks like it could be challenging. We will see how it plays out, but I like what they are doing here. Can't wait to jump back in. Solid pvp, realm vs realm pvp, and now they are making some relevant pve content.

An honest and frank question.  Did you either pay them more money in any way when you came back (via cash shop purchase or whatever else revenue source they may have), or do you foresee yourself paying them money in any way in the future (via future cash shop purchases that you are certain you're going to make, eventually, or whatever else)?

If the answer is yes, then that supports your statement of them choosing the best business model.  If it's no, then... um.... well, they chose a good model for getting players to come back, at least. Without revenue I'm not sure I'd call it the best BUSINESS model, though.

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Abcynth

I'd like to be excited for content updates, but FFXIV pulled me away from this game and I'm very much enjoying myself in there at the moment.  When going back from GW2 to the "trinity" I didn't think I'd miss it, but actually I have.  Its nice to play a healer again.

Maybe when GW2 gets the dungeon finder tool I will be lured back, but honestly I don't think I will.  I applaud them for designing something new and different, but I've always enjoyed playing a healer and its nice to be in a defined role to put your stamp on a group.  But hey, to each their own, I'm sure the masses that are still playing GW2 will enjoy the content.

Maybe you should check the game does have a group finder tool that was introduced last patch. As for defined roles guardians and elementals can play supportive roles if u know how to upgrade the right skill set

Originally posted by JeroKane

I thought the Living story updates were supposed to be for all Levels and scalable.

Now the last update and this upcoming update is lvl80 only? Shame. :(

There is content for every level that was promised but not all content is for every level.  Still, GW2 is not your typical mmorpg grind, you can get to 80 in less than a week (a day or two if you're motivated).  

I think that's what makes me stay, the only weak spot is their story, which, as gw1 proved, can improve over time easily if you have a strong system in place, and they do.  I love developing and performing different tactics for different areas as opposed to just having 1 tactic that you perform slightly different.  There's nothing like getting together with no guardian or no elementalist and refiguring out a new tacitc to take down a boss. This is so contrary to any other game where there is no dungeon without 1 or 2 types of classes. 

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

An honest and frank question.  Did you either pay them more money in any way when you came back (via cash shop purchase or whatever else revenue source they may have), or do you foresee yourself paying them money in any way in the future (via future cash shop purchases that you are certain you're going to make, eventually, or whatever else)?

If the answer is yes, then that supports your statement of them choosing the best business model.  If it's no, then... um.... well, they chose a good model for getting players to come back, at least. Without revenue I'm not sure I'd call it the best BUSINESS model, though.

As I've stated in previous threads, there are TWO resources that companies need in order to run an MMORPG. GW2's model insure's that both resources, (people and cash) are always in a abundance for them.  People like me, budget about 10 to 30 bucks a month to buy things at the cash shop. The other day I got a shiney new miner pick.  People like the poster are valuable simply for being there.  

GW2 is weak in 2 areas, Communication and Story, both of which they realize and are amaking vast improvements on.  Most MMOs so long as thier making buck, you won't see improvements to big problems for years if ever sometimes.  I'd be the first person to say that large scale PVE events are a failure because 1. their multiple guild system (while an admirable reason_ is very flawwed, 2. they lack forced grouping in these areas which is neccessary. Its like going in a dungeon and not being apart of the same party .

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

Maybe when GW2 gets the dungeon finder tool I will be lured back, but honestly I don't think I will. 

They did add an in game LFG tool btw (seems many don't know about it).  and even though some are not aware, I still fill a dungeon group in less than a minute :)

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Hmm permanent content, and upgraded dungeons to boot. Looks like ANet are trying to woo me back. Will have to check this one out. I did like the TA gear appearance. Some variants would be nice.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

Active players create content for people willing to spend RL money. They grind the gold and gear that the RL payers pay for, and they also create a community for the RL payers to play with to encourage them to spend more.

In a B2P / F2P game spending time in the game makes you a commodity for the company to sell.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

This ^^

Not with FFXIV though, but with RIFT.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195
    I felt the other way around with regards to the trinity. I felt i missed the trinity, but each time i went back to a trinity game (first tera later ff14) I quickly got bored with the same stale gameplay system that i had been played for over 7 years in WoW. GW2 combat system on the other hand, while not perfect is a fresh of breath air. 
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    lack of trinity was never the problem, lack of more complexity than just spamming the same buttons when they come off cooldown is.
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

I noticed charr hair for both genders no longer is plastered to the head and actually 'sways' now. Their hairstyles always did seem so...well half assed. Now they just need to fix charr tails and armor.

Originally posted by Conley
    I felt the other way around with regards to the trinity. I felt i missed the trinity, but each time i went back to a trinity game (first tera later ff14) I quickly got bored with the same stale gameplay system that i had been played for over 7 years in WoW. GW2 combat system on the other hand, while not perfect is a fresh of breath air. 

You can have that combat style with the trinity as well.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I'm kind of in the same boat in that I pretty much missed all of September in GW2 due to playing FFXIV, but I most definitely still call GW2 my home.  Every time I've logged back into GW2 after having played FFXIV for a week, it just feels so good to be back in the world.  Unfortunately, I didn't even get to set foot in the updated Super Adventure Box, and I loved the first iteration.  (As a side note to anyone, is that still available?)  FFXIV, because it's filled with a ton of initial progression, has kept me busy.  I was hoping I could balance the whole 2 MMO thing, but I really think it's impossible.  

I foresee FFXIV's hold wearing off on me soon enough htough.  I'm already extremely burnt out on the end game tomestone grind.  I'll be completely OK if I never see AK or CM again.  The hard mode primal fights were a lot of fun, but there's little incentive to go back and do them again once you've completed your relic quest.  Aside from that there is to do is wait for your FC's Coil runs.  You couldn't pay me to FATE grind another job up right now.  I was burnt out with that before I even started, which, by the way, is immensely disappointing considering how amazing I thought dynamic events were handled in GW2; FATEs, although essentially the exact same concept, couldn't be more different in execution and effect.  

Right now, there are really two things that still have me playing FFXIV over GW.  

The first is, as you've said, the welcome return to the classic trinity.  I've already had more moments where I've noticeably saved the day and been praised for it as a healer (and probably equally as many moments where I single-handedly wiped the group, but hey, who's counting?)  The point is, it's great to be able to feel your effect on a fight, and to be able to feel the effects of your party mates, and to know that they can feel your impact too.  I've beaten ever PvE fight I can think of in GW2, and I've never quite found this in all the crazy chaos of its combat.  Unlike you, however, I actually did suspect that I may miss the trinity when I turned to GW2.  

The second is crafting.  Crafting is just so darn fun in this game.  The last dozen or so times I've logged in, I've done nothing but craft.  I'm a progression oriented player, and it's a lot of fun to level all the crafts simultaneously, using each craft's special abilities to your advantage in leveling all other crafts.  It's great fun planning out Grand Company provision missions for each of your trades.  It's great fun having crafting gear and being required to craft upgraded gear and tools, and working to make high quality versions.  I can definitely spend the next month doing nothing but crafting in this game and it would be a month well spent in an MMO in my opinion.  

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

FYI, dungeon LFG looks empty. However, it's because it fills groups so damn fast.

Set up a group for a dungeon. I'll be damned if it doesn't fill in 30-60 secs (took 1m20secs for arah group XD)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    FFXIV just doesn't do it for me. After GW2 the trinity holds no interest for me.  I just hope these updates continue. 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Vorch

FYI, dungeon LFG looks empty. However, it's because it fills groups so damn fast.

Set up a group for a dungeon. I'll be damned if it doesn't fill in 30-60 secs (took 1m20secs for arah group XD)

If only the community would actually READ before clicking the "Join Group" button....

• uruhauruha Member Posts: 3
    I know any level can play these updates but I feel so left out since I'm only level 30! I had to give my account to my cousin because I bought a code off ebay which turned out to be bought with stolen credit card infos :-(
  • traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

Despite it's flaws GW2 is still a top notch MMO,  and has some of the best exploration I've ever enjoyed in an MMO, zone completion has led me to all sorts of neat experiences over the last month.

WvW is pretty much the only decent large scale pvp in an mmo unless you count planetside, and as for the trinity dungeons debate...

I've been enjoying GW2's dungeons as much as I've enjoyed any other MMO dungeon really, the whole tank healer dps debate for me is a non factor, I just enjoy the runs, have fun dodging and staying alive and collect my loot.

The added permanence of new living story stuff like this is only making the game better every 2 weeks, and thats awesome news for players looking to buy a new game that for 60 bucks gives them more value than most other games out right now.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I suppose it's good that there adding something for 80's to do, (although isn't that against the ,'manifesto', or we not counting that anymore hipsters?).

It does shrink the market a bit in terms of gem buying but that doesn't affect other f2p model games so I'm sure they'll cope and keep some of the forum lurkers happy.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"It's an interesting route to go with, especially when you look at the fact that this new dungeon path is replacing another. The only thing puzzling me is why the path is at level 80, much higher than the other 2 Twilight Arbor dungeons."

My guess is that this dungeon didn't see a lot of action from below-80 players. You don't need to run dungeons to level your toon, the regular content provides more than enough XP for that.

At 80, it becomes interesting because of the tokens, if you want the TA armor/weapons look or need the gift for your legendary.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    WTB the skill patch T.T

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.