Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live Forum Q&A Jeff 'Doomsaw' Donais - Marvel Heroes

Comments

• ZephyrNicZephyrNic Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Whom is the voice talent on the Lady Deadpool enhanced costume?
  • Doomsaw-GazillionDoomsaw-Gazillion Marvel HeroesMember Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Skaughtto

Daredevil, Colossus, and Captain America are my favorite comic book heroes. How soon are changes coming to those characters to improve their gameplay? 

What's the best way players can provide input and contribute to making a playable character better? Posting comic book reference material? Suggesting powers that should be borrowed from other characters?

Changes to the heroes you listed will likely roll out in early November, possibly slightly earlier. We want Captain to have 1 more build option and increased DPS.

Daredevil needs better wave clearing, among a few other buffs.

Anytime we do significant changes to a hero, we go through a pipeline process with Marvel feedback, engineering, animation, VFX, SFX (sound) and design. It's awesome to see it happen once it's done.

The absolute best thing you can do to help make a hero better is post in the Hero section of our forums. Reference material is always awesome and you point about suggesting powers is perfect. Just this week we made a bunch of Cyclops changes based on the feedback of two good Cyclops posters in the Cyclops forum.

• lRoguellRoguel Member Posts: 4

Is it true that Rogue is confirmed as being one of the next female heroines  to come in the future? (not counting Squirrel Girl who is comming really soon) 

She was the second most voted,only lost to Psylocke.She is really popular and she is not only an X-men ,but also an Avenger =)

She has a unique mimic kind of gameplay that would be super interesting for the players to get more opitions of gameplay...

stealing powers/passives is a very fun thing,either u like Rogue or not :)

Originally posted by tru32782
    Originally posted by Doomsaw-Gazillion

Would you ever be interested in setting up a weekly guest spot on a stream to talk about what is coming and field questions?

Yes, I would do this.

Could I play while doing it?

You will definitely be able to play,  may we join you?  It would be great!  Our host could ask the questions from chat and you wouldn't have to type.

Roger that, sounds great.

• HuzzaahHuzzaah Member Posts: 1

Are there any plans to put more information on the tooltips regarding dodge and critical strike rating on bosses? I just started playing again and I'm more than a little confused about the whole matter, but apparently they are reduced against them. The number thrown around was 40%, I'm guessing that reduction is to the dodge/critical rating and not just a flat chance to the %. However I have no idea what dodge % I'm getting at that reduced dodge rating since the tooltip only informs you of your dodge rating against normal enemies.

• KerryeeKerryee Member Posts: 8
    I'm curious as to whether captioning consideration has been given to the game in an optional capacity, especially during the cut-scenes.  As someone is who severely hard of hearing, I miss much of what is said in these.
    Originally posted by diablo2123
    Any eta on 4 artifact slots? When will huge overhalls on basic michanics start to settle down? There seems to be a lot of fluctuation in damage taken and dished out with every major patch. Legendy quest: are the blessings worth the effort for me to take 45 minutes of my day to recieve 1(2) marks a day?

4 artifact slots will be coming with the Asgard patch, they are in engineering now. We will also include slots for pets, Stark-Tech items and Legendary items.

Basic mechanics are pretty much nailed down, it's now a matter of making sure individual attacks are appropriately difficult.

The Blessings are solid and are the only way to make your artifacts better. Odin Marks will also be used for a few other things once Asgard launches (still TBD, but Odin's Vault will be open for the most accomplished heroes).

• DrachulaDrachula Member Posts: 1

Hello Doom,

Thanks for doing the Q&A, and also wanted to say as a UP owner I was a little disappointed at release but you guys have made leaps and BOUNDS improving it... please keep it up! The games is really starting to reach towards its full potential (I had faith, that's why I went UP in the first place)!

Now my questions are two parts...

Firstly, have you guys got any plans for giving a +EXP bonus to people based on toons they've already levelled?

With the new synergies system it just seems pretty perfect for this (each bonus could also give a flat 1% (# just an example) overall EXP boost along with the power boosts. Most people I know in-game wont level other heroes (especially to the late game) even though the game is about having a team of heroes simply because the grind doesn't really get any quicker or easier after the first one, this might give some people a little more incentive to go for more.

Secondly, Ultimate powers.

Have you guys considered putting these on a shorter cooldown? The 20min seems excessively long for an action RPG, to the point most people just forget about them. Putting them at around 5min would mean they'd likely to be up for most difficult encounters and in-turn would make people want to level them instead of ignore.

Originally posted by Huzzaah

Are there any plans to put more information on the tooltips regarding dodge and critical strike rating on bosses? I just started playing again and I'm more than a little confused about the whole matter, but apparently they are reduced against them. The number thrown around was 40%, I'm guessing that reduction is to the dodge/critical rating and not just a flat chance to the %. However I have no idea what dodge % I'm getting at that reduced dodge rating since the tooltip only informs you of your dodge rating against normal enemies.

Yes, we will be adding info to the tooltips, help section and a new player guide we are creating.

When you are fighting a blue elite enemy, you lose 1% of crit for every 10% of crit you have.

When fighting a boss, you lose 4% for every 10% you have.

(They also are harder to dodge, do more raw damage vs. your Defense stat and have higher health, as you know).

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Is there any hope a Hero like Puck from Alpha flight will ever see the light of day? Also Would it be feesible to add The villain Arcadia from the xmen with arcade style level? Are there plans to raise the level cap to 75 or 100 with more synergy tiers ever?
  • askingquestionsaskingquestions Member Posts: 3

I am currently playing IM at level 26-30. While there are some great new additions to Iron Man, I found some fustrations with his remake. The most fustrating feature is immense amounts of cooldowns. I try to avoid using those skills as much as possible, but some skills are a must have.

For example his Force Shield + Shield Overload, Shield Overload with a 6 second cool down.
    Another is Micro Missile with a 3 second cool down, one of the best single target boss burning skill. Since I went meelee with Jet-Assisted Slam (because no CD), I also picked Death From above 6.7s CD. And of course, the skill devs are most proud of...The One-of with a 30s CD. CD goes down as it levels.

When I play my IM, my eyes are constantly on my hotkey bar waiting to see when his cooldowns are up. This is really distracting and unfun. It is like reading subtitles for a film. I miss most of the action scenes because my eyes are focused on the bottom of the screen most of the time. I feel like you guys are heading towards a cool down direction evident by

-Emma Frost AOE skills having a lot of 15s CD

-Luke Cage Hire Tree is a Cooldown Tree, Dempsey Roll, a cool finisher has a 6s CD, Throwing Cars 12s CD

You guys have good ideas and create very fun awesome skills, but these cooldowns are hindering their potential at being fun. I bought Luke Cage thinking he'd be fun. I was disappointed due to so many cooldowns and no survivability pass level 45. I foresee squirrel girl having cool downs as well and hope I am wrong. This isn't a MOBA game, it's an ARPG where long cooldowns have no place in. Ultimates are practically useless with the 20minute cooldown. If I can use a skill every 20 minutes in an ARPG, I expect it to take down a whole screen of trash/elites and at least take out 1/4-1/5 of a boss's HP.

Will you guys take off the cool down, scale down damage/spirit cost in the future?  Or lowering the cooldown so we can enjoy using the skill?

Originally posted by Drachula

Hello Doom,

Thanks for doing the Q&A, and also wanted to say as a UP owner I was a little disappointed at release but you guys have made leaps and BOUNDS improving it... please keep it up! The games is really starting to reach towards its full potential (I had faith, that's why I went UP in the first place)!

Now my questions are two parts...

Firstly, have you guys got any plans for giving a +EXP bonus to people based on toons they've already levelled?

With the new synergies system it just seems pretty perfect for this (each bonus could also give a flat 1% (# just an example) overall EXP boost along with the power boosts. Most people I know in-game wont level other heroes (especially to the late game) even though the game is about having a team of heroes simply because the grind doesn't really get any quicker or easier after the first one, this might give some people a little more incentive to go for more.

Secondly, Ultimate powers.

Have you guys considered putting these on a shorter cooldown? The 20min seems excessively long for an action RPG, to the point most people just forget about them. Putting them at around 5min would mean they'd likely to be up for most difficult encounters and in-turn would make people want to level them instead of ignore.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, your idea of 1% bonus to experience for each hero you have leveled is good and we have discussed similar things. We agree.

We definitely want to give players the option to reduce the cooldown on their ultimates. We are adding some options to do that in the item and power system. 

• gdowd20gdowd20 Member Posts: 2

Hey Doomsaw, any ETA or rough timing on the mac version?

I'm too excited to finally play the game!

• tru32782tru32782 Member Posts: 11
    Can we get a time frame on trading and will uniques and legionaries be able to be traded at some point?
    Originally posted by gorro187
    Is there any hope a Hero like Puck from Alpha flight will ever see the light of day? Also Would it be feesible to add The villain Arcadia from the xmen with arcade style level? Are there plans to raise the level cap to 75 or 100 with more synergy tiers ever?

Puck could exist one day, especially if Marvel pushes the Alpha Flight IP which has been rumored.

We discussed both an Arcadia and Mojoverse level, so that could happen.

We originally considered increasing the level cap, as you describe, but are much more likely to just add alternate methods of advancing your character so you don't feel like your efforts are wasted.

• askingquestionsaskingquestions Member Posts: 3
    Given the fact that moves like One-Off and God Blast have such a high DPS relative to Ultimate Powers, has Gazillion given any thought to lowering the cooldown for Ultimate powers so that other Heroes have something like these "mini-ultimate powers" ? What are your thoughts.
  • KelpPlanktonKelpPlankton Member UncommonPosts: 11

Playable villains.  Everyone asks about them, but how far off are they really?  2014?  2015?  I'm not necessarily talking a full on Marvel Villains game, just characters like Magneto or Venom who have been heroes in the past.

Also, what costumes does Squirrel Girl have?  More than anyone else it seems like she doesn't have a lot of potential options.

Can we get a time frame on trading and will uniques and legionaries be able to be traded at some point?

Trading works on internal builds, but it needs at least a month of hard-core testing and iteration to make sure it's unbreakable. We do not want players to be scammed in any way.

Uniques and Legendaries will not be tradeable, they are going to stay "self-found" items. We did recently add Team Insignias which are tradeable and have many other tradeable items coming in the future.

Originally posted by KelpPlankton

Playable villains.  Everyone asks about them, but how far off are they really?  2014?  2015?  I'm not necessarily talking a full on Marvel Villains game, just characters like Magneto or Venom who have been heroes in the past.

Also, what costumes does Squirrel Girl have?  More than anyone else it seems like she doesn't have a lot of potential options.

Playable villians are not that far away. That's all I can possibly say at this time without a marketing person crying heavily.

For Squirrel Girl, we actually made up our own costume and pitched it to Marvel. We worked it out and it looks great. We plan to do this a lot more in the future and Marvel really likes that process.

• killernpc1killernpc1 Member Posts: 5
    Will there every be an event where we Raid the gazillion office with our heroes as the team fights off players controlling villains? One of my most wanted things would be to have devs fighting players controlling villains every so often.
  • SkaughttoSkaughtto Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Doomsaw-Gazillion
    Originally posted by Skaughtto

Daredevil, Colossus, and Captain America are my favorite comic book heroes. How soon are changes coming to those characters to improve their gameplay? 

What's the best way players can provide input and contribute to making a playable character better? Posting comic book reference material? Suggesting powers that should be borrowed from other characters?

Changes to the heroes you listed will likely roll out in early November, possibly slightly earlier. We want Captain to have 1 more build option and increased DPS.

Daredevil needs better wave clearing, among a few other buffs.

Anytime we do significant changes to a hero, we go through a pipeline process with Marvel feedback, engineering, animation, VFX, SFX (sound) and design. It's awesome to see it happen once it's done.

The absolute best thing you can do to help make a hero better is post in the Hero section of our forums. Reference material is always awesome and you point about suggesting powers is perfect. Just this week we made a bunch of Cyclops changes based on the feedback of two good Cyclops posters in the Cyclops forum.

When you talk about wave clearing, do you mean AOE? 

Currently AOE attacks are a necessity due to the number of enemies that spawn and the relative damage they do in comparison to single target attacks. Are there any plans to balance this out? It's pretty hard for a hero who depends on single target attacks to be successful when they are constantly surrounded.  

Many Daredevil players are using Opening Lunge as their primary means of attack because it's the most effective way of dealing with groups of enemies. I can't said I'd want the ability nerfed, but it would be nice if other abilities were made more viable. Daredevil looks silly constantly hopping around and it's not the way I'd expect him to play based on his character. 

How would you fix this problem? Fewer enemies that are more powerful? Buff single target attacks to be twice as effective as AOE?  Or is this just what a melee player has to do if they don't partner with a ranged/AOE player?

Captioning: I don't know much about that part of the game, but I will check into it after this AMA.

Cooldowns: Yes, we have to be careful. I think 1-2 cooldowns per character on epic powers is fun, but too many more after that gets a bit crazy.

Ultimate Power: Yes, I agree with your sentiments and we are working on ways to significantly reduce the cooldown if a player chooses.

• gdowd20gdowd20 Member Posts: 2

Any chance of an ETA on a mac version, it's a question that keeps getting passed around the forums.

Thanks Doomsaw!

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Would it ever be feasible to make a Enhanced skin for Hulk.  That out of combat you walk around as Banner. But when you enter combat you transform into the hulk? Or one for his son?
    Originally posted by killernpc1
    Will there every be an event where we Raid the gazillion office with our heroes as the team fights off players controlling villains? One of my most wanted things would be to have devs fighting players controlling villains every so often.

We are investigating a mode that allows players to take control of a villain in Midtown and fight other players. Whoever wins the zone would get a significant reward.

It sounds crazy, but with our animation and control architecture, it's actually not that difficult and could be amazingly fun.

This discussion has been closed.