Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sometimes I don't want people to know I'm logged in!

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Don't get me wrong, I'm a social guy. But there are times I just want to be left alone. I wish there was an 'offline' mode for more games so I can just log-in and just chill out crafting, play the trade broker or just explore. 

When you're looking for some 'me' time, do you  just shut down chat and ignore tells? Do you log into an alt (which doesn't work in some games since your identity is your account, not your character)?

What's the risk of offline modes? I can think of some. If someone hacks or steals an account, it could be harder to detect. If a friend logs in and doesn't respond, the first thing I do is text them in RL to make sure it's really them. 

Do you think more games should allow for an "offline" mode or not? I'm still trying to think this idea though, I guess.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I just tell people to leave me alone.  Maybe I'm too blunt.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

DAOC has a /anon feature, which I use when I just don't want to be bothered or to keep enemy realms from knowing I'm online in their zone.

I agree, can't see a reason for every game to have a similar feature.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    If a friend logs in and doesn't respond, the first thing I do is text them in RL to make sure it's really them.  

Your friend is thinking "Man, I can't just jump on and craft or explore for a bit without somebody texting me"

:)

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I loved the /anon feature in DAOC. I really missed it for my stint that I did in WoW. Sometimes you just don't feel like being social. Or even worse, you don't feel like explaining to people why you don't feel like being social. I didn't use the feature often, but when I did, I really loved it.

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I agree that every online game should have an "invisible" option for when you are online, but don't want people to know! Sometimes you just don't want to be hounded to get on vent, or constantly being texted! lol
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I always get texted by random hot girls when I play my mmos. So I tell them to gtfo cuz I just want to play my games. True story bro..,

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Agreed.

The more control the better. It will even be better if i can set my toon to be invisible to players not on my friend list so no random guy can request me joining a guild.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Yep, /anon should be available in all games.  It annoys the hell out of me when it isn't.