Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game like Final Fantasy 7-10

RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

In short:

What other games out there feel like Final Fantasy in it's glory days? I don't mind if it is a console game, even tho i prefer PC gaming i know that most, if not all, solid RPGs like FF are console only.  Also i don't mind older games at all, it is just very likely i already played them if they are older then 5-7 years. That is about when i stopped checking on console titles at all.

Not that short:

I have been a huge Final Fantasy fan since FF2 on the gameboy. I was like 5 back then and another kid had the game ordered from the US and i did not know english at all. Yet i had a blast and bought every single FF since then.

Like most old FF-Fans know the game went downhill hard since about part 11 and just got worse from then. Used to just buy a new Playstation or xbox, just to play final fantasy lol. This is not going to happen again. I just hate the action game that FF has become and miss the strategy and / or placement the old games offered.

Since these asian RPGs barly make it to the PC, and i don't check on console games at all, i could have missed like a dozen great games that are fun for me. I just have no idea where to start looking ;-)

Thanks in advance!

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Final Fantasy 7 is  THE BEST game ever..Just play it again..and again...and again..thats what we do 
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Zaradoom
    In short:What other games out there feel like Final Fantasy in it's glory days? I don't mind if it is a console game, even tho i prefer PC gaming i know that most, if not all, solid RPGs like FF are console only.  Also i don't mind older games at all, it is just very likely i already played them if they are older then 5-7 years. That is about when i stopped checking on console titles at all. Not that short:I have been a huge Final Fantasy fan since FF2 on the gameboy. I was like 5 back then and another kid had the game ordered from the US and i did not know english at all. Yet i had a blast and bought every single FF since then.Like most old FF-Fans know the game went downhill hard since about part 11 and just got worse from then. Used to just buy a new Playstation or xbox, just to play final fantasy lol. This is not going to happen again. I just hate the action game that FF has become and miss the strategy and / or placement the old games offered. Since these asian RPGs barly make it to the PC, and i don't check on console games at all, i could have missed like a dozen great games that are fun for me. I just have no idea where to start looking ;-) Thanks in advance!

Hi, Basicly come from the same background..

Most of the Squaresoft back catalog is good.
    Star Ocean Series
    Breath of Fire Series
    Xenogears
    ChronoCross/ChronoTrigger
    Secret of mana series (might be stretching what your asking for but good none the less.)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Have you tried downloading emulators/roms and playing the old console games on your PC?

Moo

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

here are just a few

for PC

Phantasy Star 2

Phantasy Star 4

PS2

Xbox360

*fixed links

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by raww
    Have you tried downloading emulators/roms and playing the old console games on your PC?

That is actually a great idea i should have thought about myself,... seriously all i found (and most what you guys suggest here!) are games from 5-10 years ago and i already knew that good RPGs never made it to the PC.

Emulators and old games could be the answer i was looking for. Will check that idea out and then try every single game mentioned here. Final Fantasy 7 being on a SteamSale right now might backlog the other games for a while tho, as i agree: FF7 is the best, ever.

Thanks alot guys!

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    If you have a Wii, Xenoblade chronicles is said to be one of the best RPGs ever.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Just checking, I assume you already tried FF 11 and 14, both MMO's and didn't like them?  While not the same as you mentioned both good games IMO and worth checking out if you haven't already.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    If you have a Wii, Xenoblade chronicles is said to be one of the best RPGs ever.

+1

In my honest opinion, Xenoblade Chronicles alone is reason enough to own a Wii. 

Also, I would be doing a massive disservice to everyone if I didn't recommend Ni No Kuni Wrath of the white Witch (for the PS3). One of, if not the BEST jrpgs I've played in the last decade (again, right up there with Xenoblade Chornicles). I actually bought a PS3 just for Ni No Kuni and it was worth it 110%. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Before you play Xenoblade, play Xenogears and then Xenosaga Episodes 1-3...Xenogears story is like the best I have ever seen in video games.  Use the PS one and PS2 emulators
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Zaradoom
    Originally posted by raww

That is actually a great idea i should have thought about myself,... seriously all i found (and most what you guys suggest here!) are games from 5-10 years ago and i already knew that good RPGs never made it to the PC.

Emulators and old games could be the answer i was looking for. Will check that idea out and then try every single game mentioned here. Final Fantasy 7 being on a SteamSale right now might backlog the other games for a while tho, as i agree: FF7 is the best, ever.

Thanks alot guys!

Actually Final Fantasy VI was the best in the entire series ;)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Shin Megami Tensei games are usually quite good, although they're quite different in tone from the FF series. Persona 3&4 are relatively modern, quite fun and work excellently on an emulator. Another JRPG I'd recommend is Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.
  • sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    Try The Last Remnant. Still Square Enix, and I think you can get it on Steam so you can play it on the PC.
  • sparepotroastsparepotroast Member Posts: 10
    Well, if the game doesn't need to be turn-based then you can check out pretty much all Tales Series (Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Tales of the World etc.) because for me it's pretty much like Final Fantasy but it's not turn-based. I think it's more of a real-time action type of game which I like.
  • EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29

If you don't mind playing games as old as Final Fantasy VII - X   I would recommend Legend of Dragoon, you can purchase it on the Playstation Network store right now, it has the iconic turn based combat, with a little twist that makes you more involved in the combat, It has a nice long story Arc wrought with successes and failures along the way.  I played this game about the same time I was playing the earlier games in your list, and honestly,  I almost prefer Legend of Dragoon over some of those Final Fantasy games,  and I have been a fan of the FF series for decades now.  

EDIT:

I also played WIld Arms 3 around this time.  I sank hundreds of hours in that game,  until my Memory Card got mistakenly wiped!!!!  Ah,  those were the days,  where there was risk to being a gamer.  Men were men and internet girls were also men, back in those days. 

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67

I'd recommend Grandia II, awesome characters, interesting story and one of the best battle systems ever introduced in any RPG I've played so far (think FF7 system with three-dimensional positioning and the chance to actually see when your character AND the enemies do their moves). It's for PS2, but there is a PC version of it (it's pretty buggy though, there might be patches or something, never bothered with that version, really).

Otherwise, maybe give Shadow Hearts II a go if you own a PS2, that one's pretty awesome, too.