Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark PvP, etc. in Forbes article

Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/10/02/everquest-next-landmark-is-much-more-than-a-world-builder/

A short write-up on Landmark, with a teaser about Landmark PVP at the bottom.

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm really excited I was hoping for combat in landmark! I'm not a big builder type but the thrill of exploration in games like Minecraft and Terraria is a lot of fun.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    It's almost like they're releasing EQ:N two times.. Same games with different focal points.. One crafting/building.. the other progressing/role playing? Not sure if I get what they're doing here.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    It's almost like they're releasing EQ:N two times.. Same games with different focal points.. One crafting/building.. the other progressing/role playing? Not sure if I get what they're doing here.

EQN is only the Norrath theme

EQNL will support many themes -- including scifi, modern, etc

related feature list for EQNL

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/396945/EQN-Landmark-bulletlist-from-SOE-fanfaire.html

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

EQN is only the Norrath theme

EQNL will support many themes -- including scifi, modern, etc

Ahhhh okay. Makes complete sense to me now. Well that's awesome.. Because I didn't really want guns and what not in EQ:N. Thank you for clearing this up for me!

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

It really sounds like they're trying to build Minecraft 2.0. Which is to me a very, very interesting thing.

If they manage to build EQL to be as accessible and fun as Minecraft EQL could be a huge success. There is nothing like exploration, free-building and having to fend off intruders every now and then.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I think they just want to use eqnl as an open beta for major features from eqn. I dont know how I feel about combat and pvp in landmark, but only because I plan to play both games. As long as I dont get forced to level combat classes in eqnl to progress my building it wont affect me at all I guess.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Does sound intriguing. Has this really ever been done before?  Minecraft is very popular. I know my nephew and his entire class are addicted to this game.  I've always believed a successful MMO would be able to adapt Minecraft gameply in an MMO world. Maybe it has happened!  

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I said it before, and this confirms it.  I'm more likely to enjoy the nature of EQ Landmark than I am EQN.  Looking forward to getting into this game!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    they really didnt say shit there.   just trying to build more hype as usual and the sheep will follow like they want.  
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by bubbabill
    they really didnt say shit there.   just trying to build more hype as usual and the sheep will follow like they want.  

It was not previously confirmed that there would be combat at all in Landmark, let alone mobs, group objectives, etc.  Rather than being just a builder game, it will be a full MMORPG.  They actually said quite a bit here.  You are welcome to talk about "sheep" if that makes you feel better.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by bubbabill

It was not previously confirmed that there would be combat at all in Landmark, let alone mobs, group objectives, etc.  Rather than being just a builder game, it will be a full MMORPG.  They actually said quite a bit here.  You are welcome to talk about "sheep" if that makes you feel better.

it does and i will. thanks for your permission that really means alot. 

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'm really excited I was hoping for combat in landmark! I'm not a big builder type but the thrill of exploration in games like Minecraft and Terraria is a lot of fun.

I feel the opposite. I really just wanted a world builder and a creative community without any MMO features. 

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by crack_fox

I feel the opposite. I really just wanted a world builder and a creative community without any MMO features. 

Same here, I just want to build...

Still can't deny I'm curious to see how the heck this will turn out.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I'm quite amazed by his. The last thing I heard about EQNL was that is was going to be more or less only a building tool. Now it sounds like a full game in its own right. Apparently all the basic features (the combat, the AI ...) are already finished. So EQNL is basically also something like a free Alpha of EQN.

This would mean that the development of EQN is already much farer advanced the we thought. So maybe the game could be released later next year.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Bacchira
    Originally posted by crack_fox

Same here, I just want to build...

Still can't deny I'm curious to see how the heck this will turn out.

So, how is this going to work exactly?  With the focus on building, crafting, and creation, won’t all these monsters get in the way?  They’re still working the details out, but players will have the option to choose what kind of gameplay they’d like to participate in.

“We’re still debating exactly how we want to implement this, but one theory is that we’ll have some continents that are non-combat oriented and some that are more risk oriented, or perhaps the rule that monsters won’t wander onto people’s claims,” says Georgeson.  “People that want to be able to build without monsters will be able to do that, and people that do want risk will be able to play with risk and get greater associated rewards.”

So the combat will be purely optional. I'm only curious what those "greater rewards" this will be. I hove we can still do everything without being penalised for not participating in the combat.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

“This is just the beginning,” says Georgeson.  “Imagine what will happen when we add PvP to EverQuest Next Landmark.

More good news!

ib4 - "That doesn't really mean pvp"

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I'm definitely up for a "build or die" game, where fortifications are essential and the more resources you've acquired, the more monsters come after you (and the tougher the monster).
  • BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by bcbully

“This is just the beginning,” says Georgeson.  “Imagine what will happen when we add PvP to EverQuest Next Landmark.

More good news!

rofl. But how can you be so sure without confirmation?

Originally posted by dandurin
    I'm definitely up for a "build or die" game, where fortifications are essential and the more resources you've acquired, the more monsters come after you (and the tougher the monster).

Yeah...  just replace "monsters" with "players". =)

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

I'm thinking that there will be a whole bunch of different continents with different parameters.  Maybe it will start out as only 2: Norrath-themed and free.  They will then add a "combat and monsters" continent when that is ready.  They can then just add more continents (like a pvp one) when each feature is ready for Landmark.  Pretty smart way for free early beta testing on a very large scale.

Hopefully this leads to a very polished and smooth EQ:Next.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Heh, he said, "in Forbes article", as if that means anything.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by Quesa
    Heh, he said, "in Forbes article", as if that means anything.

If you would have read that article, you would know that they quoted Georgeson.

“This is just the beginning,” says Georgeson.“Imagine what will happen when we add PvP to EverQuest Next Landmark.”

@topic

Yeap.. EQNL sounds more interesting every time we got new information. And i have to agree EQNL looks more and more like a Minecraft MMO.. with option of survival pve and pvp. I am more than curios to see what comes next, and how everything will be in detail.

And yeap.. finally it could be the case that for some ppl Landmark will be the more interesting the better game in comparsion to EQN.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by bcbully

More good news!

Sure it does. It just doesn't (necessarily) mean FFA oPvP, which I'm sure you think it means.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

This is really good news.

Of course now the whole PvP thing will rear it's ugly head again.

He said "Imagine what will happen when we add PvP to EverQuest Next Landmark"

And all those PvPers jumping up and down now knowing that of course he meant single world, free for all, full loot, no limit PVP. 

Now he didn't say any of that but since he only uttered 3 letters nothing else can be wrought from the statement either. 

In short yes there will be PvP.  To what extent is still quite hidden from us.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    OMG there's gonna be FFA PVP!!! =D
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG there's gonna be FFA PVP!!! =D

Nope. But keep on dreaming.